Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Try them and find out. Winter tires are a necessary evil imho. I went to school in upstate New York, where there's ice on the roads for several months. I ran studded tires for years, and now just run regular winter tires on the Fit during the winter. It handles better than my truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
The General Arctic Altimax is another decent, cheap winter tire.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

CornHolio posted:

How do treadwear warranties work?

I bought four Sumitomos in October of 2017. I have a little over 21k on them and the tread is down to 4/32". Treadwear warranty is 4 years/45k miles.

I have a nail in the sidewall of one of them and should probably get them all replaced.

My Dodge dealership ordered the tires through Tire Rack and price-matched them (free rotations, woo), which shouldn't make a difference.

In my experience, not well. I had a set of Michelin Pilot Exaltos AS wear our prematurely (30k to 3/32"), and tried for about 3 months to get Town Faire Tire here in MA to honor the warranty (45k miles). They wanted original receipts for rotations every 15k (I rotate them myself when I change the oil every 7-8k), and for me to take the car to the same location for proof of god-knows-what. I finally completed all the steps, and they offered me a pro-rated discount of 30% off the MSRP, which ended up making the replacements more expensive than what I originally paid. Maybe Sumitomo is better, but I've never heard of anyone getting much back unless the tire was bad at very low miles. The nail in the sidewall will probably disqualify the warranty on that tire, but the others might be fine. Expect to get at most a 50% off of MSRP discount applied to the same tires, purchased at MSRP. If you've got staggered tire sizes, then there's no warranty.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
We bit the bullet and put E-rated truck tires on our big boat trailers. Transforce HTs, iirc. We ran the same tires on the truck, sadly with a different bolt pattern. Lots of commercial boat haulers run identical truck and trailer wheels and tires for ease of sparing.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Another vote for the Arctic Altimax. It's a drat good tire for the money, and iirc, it's fully winter compound, unlike many other brands where you get 50% winter compound, then 50% all season compound.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

BraveUlysses posted:

shopping for winter wheel/tires...

so it seems like my wife's cx-5 could use passenger car tires or light truck tires (which are more expensive) is the only real difference going to be the theoretical max load? i feel like car tires should be better than truck tires, all things considered

Not necessarily. The sidewalls are usually stronger on LT's as a function of the higher load rating. That's a plus for potholes or ice chunks. My wife's got a CX5 too, not sure if she needs snows though. She's always run them on her Fit, but the CX5 seems to be much better in the snow on A/S. We'll see, last winter wasn't much for snow in MA.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
There's quite a bit of slack in the measurements. Those will be fine. Good luck getting them swapped in, no one wants the stock tires, and they're "used". In general, I go narrower and taller on snows, it gives a better contact patch shape and a little more sidewall to protect the wheel.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

BraveUlysses posted:

CHOOSE YOUR FIGHTER:

Blizzak DM-V2 vs Altimax Arctic 12

Altimax Arctic. Cheaper by $25 each in the size I randomly selected, and the Blizzaks are a 50/50 tread depth of "NanoPro Tech Multicell Compound" and "normal snow compound". I've always hated tires that charge you more for a special compound, and then don't deliver that compound for the whole tire. I haven't run that specific Arctic, but I run the old Altimax Arctic on the Fit in the winter, and my wife drives to Upstate NY on them every winter... for the money, they're incredible. TBF, PitViper is right, any snow tire is going to stomp an A/S in snow and on ice.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

just got close out Blizzak WS80s on wheels for the new golf. however: tire rack sent me 8.

Sweet. They're yours to keep if you want them, legally.

I'm going to be in the market for tires for my truck (2015 GMC 2500HD, Duramax). I do mostly side streets and highway, but spend a good bit of time on boat ramps and snow. I've put 33k miles on the truck since 2015, so not a ton of miles. I'm not looking for a highway only tire, but I'm not interested in anything super loud like the All-Terrain T/A KO2 or Grabber AT/X.

Currently, it's running Michelin LTX AT2 in 265/70R18. They're bloody expensive ($300/tire from Tire rack plus shipping), and I'm fine with buying the same thing if that's the best option, but I'm kinda meh about them. The wet traction isn't great, dry is fine, they're not loud, and tread wear is pretty bad, but what else is out there that's similar/better? Dynapro AT2? Destination XT? GeoLandar AT G015? TerrainContact A/T? Say gently caress it and put Grabbers or BFGs on?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
The Michelins do as well, at least in replacement form. I need to check the warranty for OEM.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Preoptopus posted:

Looks like 6 years from date of vehicle purchase. Dont see nothing bout mileage.
https://www.michelinman.com/on/dema...07-REV-1118.pdf

Cool. I'll have to see if they're going to bitch about the uneven wear, which is probably right at 1/16". It's on all 4 tires, which have been rotated. If I can get some money back, that would be great. 33k to kill $1200 in tires on a mostly-highway use truck seems excessive to me.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Preoptopus posted:

Dealers put very soft tires on cars so when you do the test drive its super soft and nice but generally speaking from personal experience selling these things, 30k to 40 k is pretty much the limit to oem tires.
So they're a different tire than a replacement tire of the same brand/model? That's very interesting, and not something that I've heard before.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i prefer getting my money back though since it also has a separate set of wheels

Oh, they billed you for all 8? I thought they had just sent you 4 extras. Definitely get your money back!

Modus Man posted:

I’ll always vouch for the discoverers. Granted, I haven’t tried the LT version but I’m on my third set in a row on my Suburban in 265/70-17. I got about 75,000 miles (@30k /year) out of each of the first two sets and I don’t see anything indicating that this third set won’t do the same. Never had a complaint about wear or noise or traction.

Thanks, I never really considered them. I'll see if anyone local has them on a truck.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Seat Safety Switch posted:

More curious what that shop did to get that tire off.

Probably just pulled the valve stem core. The real question is WHO the shop had do the above-referenced procedure.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Pryor on Fire posted:

Hello snow tire users, if you are tired of how lovely the Blizzaks are after like 500 miles I highly recommend checking out the nokian hakkapelittas instead, they are much stickier later in their lives and seem to have better treadwear overall.

I feel the same about the Arctic Altimax. Or old Pirelli Winter Carving. Or anything non-Blizzak. But the Nokians are indeed awesome.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

LRADIKAL posted:

They are very slippery in the rain and the rare snow.

Brand/model/size?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

LRADIKAL posted:

Current wheels
https://www.hubcaphaven.com/p/25229...akaAqAbEALw_wcB

It's a 2019 Nissan leaf+ oem wheels and tires. Check my thread history for the other details.

Tire make and model. Saying "OEM tires" doesn't exactly help. Whatever, OEM tires are often chosen for fuel economy, especially on a Leaf. Buy something with better reviews on Tire Rack.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

LRADIKAL posted:

I'm telling you what it has and that they are slippery, and I want something less slippery for winter. Check my thread history if you are actually trying to help.

Check my post history, I'm actually trying to help.

I checked your post history in this thread. No manufacturer or model was given. I even tried to find it on Nissan's horrible mobile website Leaf-builder tool. If I knew what tire (not wheel size) you already have, I'd pull the reviews for that tire and see if there was a better option. Instead, you cop an attitude. :shrug: Best of luck.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

sharkytm posted:

Sweet. They're yours to keep if you want them, legally.

I'm going to be in the market for tires for my truck (2015 GMC 2500HD, Duramax). I do mostly side streets and highway, but spend a good bit of time on boat ramps and snow. I've put 33k miles on the truck since 2015, so not a ton of miles. I'm not looking for a highway only tire, but I'm not interested in anything super loud like the All-Terrain T/A KO2 or Grabber AT/X.

Currently, it's running Michelin LTX AT2 in 265/70R18. They're bloody expensive ($300/tire from Tire rack plus shipping), and I'm fine with buying the same thing if that's the best option, but I'm kinda meh about them. The wet traction isn't great, dry is fine, they're not loud, and tread wear is pretty bad, but what else is out there that's similar/better? Dynapro AT2? Destination XT? GeoLandar AT G015? TerrainContact A/T? Say gently caress it and put Grabbers or BFGs on?

Just following up on my own post. Decided that I don't do enough overall miles to justify a more highway-focused tire, and went with the Grabber AT/X. It's louder, but not too much when compared to the Michelins that were on before. Handling is definitely affected, but they have much much better traction. The ride quality is actually better, and they absorb bumps much better than the old LTX AT2.

The other option was the TerrainContact, but it was more expensive. Of course, the dealer mounted them white letters out, so I've gone full Bro-Dozer mode. I actually like the more aggressive look, I'm ashamed to admit.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

PitViper posted:

I had the older Grabber AT2 on my old Grand Cherokee, and I loved them. Great bite in the snow, and well mannered enough that they weren't bad on the highway either.

Yeah. The AT/X is supposed to be a better version of the old AT2. I'm not unhappy at all, and I'm looking forward to the first snow to test them out. The LTX's were rubbish in the snow, even from new.

Of course, we haven't gotten more than a dusting this year.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

IOwnCalculus posted:

It sounds like their quality is vastly improved. My mom had a set of Nankangs on her GMT400 Suburban a bit under 20 years ago and literally all four of them died of structural failure. One started chucking tread at highway speed.

I think it's a lot like Kia/Hyundai. Initially they were utter poo poo and regularly failed at very low mileage. They reinvested the profits and built up a solid car company. These days, they're excellent, affordable, and reliable.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Yerok posted:

Any recommendations for load range E all terrains? I was initially planning on just getting some Firestone Transforce AT2's because I love the HT2's so much but I've heard mixed things about the AT2's.

I'm currently leaning towards the BFG KO2's based on the general sentiment that they have good across the board performance in terms of tread life, tire noise, and traction.

I have General Grabber ATX on my truck ('15 2500HD Duramax). They've worn fast, but have been pretty solid. They replaced Michelin LTX ATX2s. The Michelins were way quieter on-road, and lasted longer, but weren't great in snow/mud.

I had Transforce AT2s on my old truck ('07 2500HD gas). They were nowhere as good a tire, much more in the "meh commercial aka cheap all terrain", which is what they're designed to do. I think they were quieter on-road and lasted forever, though.

The KO2 is the standard for a reason, it's pretty hard to go wrong with them. That's probably what will go on my truck if I keep it long enough to replace the Generals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I may try the Destination XTs. I liked the old Transforce XT on my previous truck. The General Grabber ATx that I have now are going to be worn out after less than 15k. It's commercial-plated, so no warranty. To be honest, I may go back to Transforce just for the warranty. The truck doesn't get hard use, I rotate them regularly, and everything seems to wear out wicked fast.