Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

gently caress Goodyear, every experience I’ve had with their tires has sucked. If you throw out your need for reasonable prices, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 is the best all-season tire ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

CornHolio posted:

What was bad about them? The reviews on Tire Rack are pretty positive, though the Pilot Sports are a little better.

It’s hard to quantify, but every set of Goodyear’s I’ve come across over the years have just *sucked*. lovely grip, lovely feel, expensive... maybe they’re better nowadays but still. Ugh.

This is coming from someone that bought the cheapest tires Walmart sells and liked them... just sayin’.

Buy the Michelins. They A/S 3’s feel way better to me than the last set of summer Goodyear’s I drove on...

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

Tires are incredibly difficult to compare when they are close unless you are literally hot swapping between brand new sets on the same car on the same day and have data to base a conclusion off of. It is easy to call a set of tires poo poo when you're replacing an unevenly and heat cycled set out for a brand new set of a different brand.

It’s also easy to call a set of new tires great when they’re replacing old worn tires. I’m pretty sure that’s how Goodyear’s have good reviews :)

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Charles posted:

You really should specify model
I bet you can still buy Bridgestone Re92s.
Should I say Bridgestone are all terrible?

Bias alert!

I’ve spent plenty of time driving on RE92’s (Oh Scion tC, what a piece of poo poo you were), I’m convinced they were made by Goodyear 🥳

/bias

I have actually heard very good things about the newest Goodyear summer tire, generally couched by “never thought I’d say this but...”, ... take what I say with a big dose of salt.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Oh Jesus, you’re looking for 20’s? Sorry, that’s well out of the realm of what I know.

CornHolio posted:

So Goodyears are garbage, is there anything other than the Michelins in a 245/45R20 all season that are a little, uh, cheaper?

I'm assuming I'm only going to get 20k out of these tires, and I'm not so much of an enthusiast that I'll notice a difference between a really good tire and a good tire.

What are they going on? That’s a way bigger size than I was expecting.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

blk posted:

I'm a big fan of Pilot Sport A/S3+ for performance all seasons, but does anyone have a cheaper alternative they like just as much?

I’ve got one car with the as3’s and another with the hankook competitive tire, which is rated as be best budget performance all-season. The direct answer to your question is “absolutely not”. You’d need to move to a dedicated summer tire to spend less with the same dry performance.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

meatpimp posted:

After being surprised at how decent the Lionhart tires are on the Avalon, I'm bottom-of-the-barrel shopping for the Passat. Looking at 245/40-18. As I was browsing, I found there was a brand called Cosmos or thereabouts... and they have a model of tire called "Mucho Macho." They're about $40 more per set than the others... but can I pass up having Mucho Macho tires?

I've been a lot more pleased with the no-name stuff than I have the low end tires by names people recognize.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

So I totally forgot that KIA fits Nexens as OEM tires on their cars and I forgot to ask them for it when I bought the car... so now I'm stuck with lovely Nexen N'Fera SU1's that also were called "so bad that they are dangerous" in the recent Swedish summer tire test. Fitting the test winners, Michelin Primacy 4's will set me back about $1k. FML :v:
Can't stand the thought of getting rid of brand new tires. At least I remembered to get the best winter tires thrown in.

I’ve eyeballed those Nexens before... if you have winter tires and understand what happens to summer tires below 40 degrees I think you’ll like what you have. They’ll be way stickier and more fun than the Primacy. Not sure what kind of “summer tire test” that is but they don’t appear to be testing tires I’d class as summers, any Primacy sure as poo poo isn’t.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

I always have a set of winters and summers since it's the norm here in Sweden. I always try to buy premium. Both the Nexen and Michelin class the SU1 and Primacy 4 respectively as summer tires. IMO the tire tests that Swedish magazines do are the most thourough I've seen done.

I guess I'll have to give them a shot, especially as I won't be doing the long planned road trip due to COVID19.

I’m curious now, I didn’t realize the Primacy had a summer tire option. Mind linking to the test?

I still think you’ll be fine with the nexens as long as you understand they’ll be dangerous below a certain temperature, which I suspect is what the test is getting at. I know my Pilot Super Sports are a lot more reasonable at low temps than most summer tires.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I didn’t know it was a thing and now it’ll be what I do next time I need tires. hope that helped?

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does anyone here install their own tires? I'm wondering if there are any air tools that make it easier than using one of those big spoon things, elbow grease, actual lube, and swearing. I'm about to get an air compressor and I've got an Amazon gift card I haven't had any use for. I see there's a "bead seater" but those all seem to have their own air tanks built in. I just figure if I can use my new obnoxiously loud tool to save $80 whenever I have to get new tires it's worth it.

I’ve looked into this somewhat extensively and the basic answer is “no”. Especially if you have low-profile tires and/or big wheels.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

As long as you’re aware of how much less grip you’ll have, you’ll be fine. 40’s is where I really notice them drop off but I’ve definitely driven well below that without crashing (but while absolutely sliding because it’s fun and easy).

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Anyone got a recommendation for tire covers for storing my spare set of tires? With the place I moved into I think I'm going to have to stack them on the balcony and I'd rather have them covered by something than just sitting out.

The cheapest ones on amazon are a loving pain to use, not sure about ones with good reviews and real money attached.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

The Michelin pilot sport all-seasons will be perfect for that car. I have them on my MR2 and it’s a great combo of being tolerant of all weather, a great “feel”, and enough grip but not so much that my transmission is at risk.

I have the PS3AS3 but I think they’re up to 4’s now. I’m almost positive they come in that size, or something extremely close.

I’m a Michelin whore. Never regretted a Michelin but I’ve regretted others.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I had those, they seemed more capable in the snow/ice than Michelin X-Ice3, at the expense of making it feel like I’m driving an off-road truck. Thanks for reminding me that I need to look for snow wheels soon. I’ll be getting the Sumitomos again, the truck-like handling didn’t bother me.

In other news: Costco says the Michelin sale will start August 26th, at least in my area! Pilot Sport AS4’s will be going on the Hyundai soon, with the backup choice being BFG Sport Comp-2 A/S+ if those go on a good sale elsewhere.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Am I crazy or are cheap factory take-offs available for sale no longer as common as they used to be? I'm trying to find some wheels for snow tires for my Hyundai and it's been hard to find 17's instead of 16's or 18's. Alternatively, how annoying is it to deal with the cheap aftermarket wheels that require centering rings because the center bore is so huge?

Also, I've got Pilot Sport AS4's on the way to Costco - can't wait to replace the factory Hankooks with something better. I was hovering between those and the BFG AS+'s, but the $150 Costco discount that's going on right now pushed me over the edge.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

CerealKilla420 posted:

I have a 2020 Toyota Corolla LE, which is one of the lower trim levels that comes with Steel wheels and hubcaps.

My car has about 15k miles with the original ties and after the next rotation I'm probably going to swap them out for michelin defenders and a new set of alloys.

As much as I want to put BBS wheels on it for no reason... I'm mostly looking for the cheapest quality set of wheels that will look mostly stock. I've never purchased aftermarket wheels before and know very little about brands. Any recommendations?

I like some of the wheels that are on the higher-trim corollas a lot, I'd probably look for a set of those. Also, depending on how you use your car, instead of the Defenders consider the Bridgestone QuietComfort (I've had both). The Defenders are a bit sportier and sharper at the expense of noise and winter grip. The QuietComforts made my Kia an almost-luxury car at the expense of sharpness and steering feel. The QuietComforts also did fine in Cleveland winter, tho not as well as dedicated snow tires.

Highly recommend Costco for either, their store-brand Michelins are Defenders, and they also carry the QuietComforts. Don't go with their other Bridgestone option, sounds like they suck.

In other news, Costco has finally received my PS4A/S shipment! It only took several days of waiting in FedEx's Troutdale depot. Apparently there's some shipping problems or something. Can't wait to get them on, I've been abusing the poo poo out of the current tires - they'll spin through the first 3 or 4 gears thanks to the DCT's ability to keep boost built up when shifting :)

the spyder posted:

I was going to ask about X-Ice Snow's as I blind ordered a set from Costco. The rebate and load rating made it the only option for our Tesla, so good to know.

I've also ran snow's all year out of laziness on my 325XI wagon. It was fantastic, considering they were $389 a set, would recommend 10/10.

They're fine, pretty good balance between on-road quality and snow capability. The General Arcticmax whatevers were significantly better in the snow at the expense of driving like a truck, and I am pretty sure they don't come in the load rating you need.

RIP Paul Walker fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 11, 2021

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Mr. Apollo posted:

Hmm that probably explains why I have been waiting almost 2 weeks for the Michelin PS4A/S tires that I ordered for my mom's car from Costco.

The Portland FedEx depot (Troutdale) is suffering from a huge worker shortage apparently, I imagine that isn't unique. Annoying for me, but potentially tragic for someone who needs something more important than the tires and CD players I've been waiting on.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Mr. Apollo posted:

The Michelin A/S 4 tires I ordered over a month ago from Costco finally showed up at the local warehouse.

I've had mine for a bit now, and they kick rear end. It's been raining lately and the grip is great. They're definitely not full summer tires but they are a quality product that more than meets expectations. Billions of times better than the Hankooks that came stock.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Mr. Apollo posted:

That’s good to hear. I’m not expecting summer tire performance from them. I just want a nice tire that I don’t need to worry about swapping out for my winters as soon as it starts to get cool.

You won't be unhappy with them. I also had a set of AS3+'s on my 4th gen swapped MR2 and they were brilliant on that and probably helped keep the transmission in one piece. Their characteristics when running out of grip are very predictable and nice.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I've heard nothing but good things about the CrossClimate2 - it would be my #1 choice for an all-season if snow performance was important and I wasn't regularly doing aggressive performance driving that would be hard on the tires and prematurely wear them and make them useless in weather.

Also, I've had a ton of tire experience over the years and Michelin seems to consistently make tires that meet my expectations for whatever the performance category is. Most of experiences with other brands (other than limited-scope performance tires where there are plenty of options that are better than anything Michelin does) have been disappointing in one way or another.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I love the poo poo out of my PSAS4’s, they feel very good and confidence-inspiring, but they aren’t full summers. I run them on my sporty daily with winter tires during winter and couldn’t be happier.

The fun cars tho? Summer tires all the way* :-)

*i had all seasons on the MR2, worked great as a fuse for the transmission.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

3rd gen automated manual? Or are there other weak transmissions?

2nd gen NA transmission (S54 is the code I think).

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I'm hoping for some similar advice for a 2011 Q5 that I'll be picking up soon (whenever my friend's Mach-E arrives).

The primary purpose of this thing will be to get us safely to Mt Hood on a weekly basis, with secondary concerns being light offroading/beach driving and a little bit of towing - it has a 4400lb towing capacity. Considering winter performance is super critical and it's not a primary vehicle, I'm debating a set of studded snows and a separate set of all-terrains or something, but I'm open to suggestions that will do it all. Performance in icy, hilly conditions is very important, but not having yet another vehicle with two sets of wheels/tires is also super appealing.

I think current tire size is 235/60R18 and if I get a second set of wheels I'd get 17's, which call for a tire size of 235/65R17.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don’t think studs are worth it. If it gets that bad you can always chain up over your snow tires and then you don’t have to deal with lovely studded tires for the vast majority of your not-snowy drive to Mt Hood. (I’m assuming you’re in like, the portland area).

I would probably run a more serious snow tire than the cross climate since you say winter performance is The One Criterion but I’ve always had two sets of wheels/tires on everything I own.

I loving hate chains but that is a good point about studs. My suspicion is that it’ll be not super annoying since it’s a somewhat modern Audi with lots of sound deadening. You’re 100% correct, I’m in Portland :-)

I’ve had no real issues (other than ground clearance once in the parking lot) taking my Elantra GT Sport on X-ice3’s, it just seems like since we’ll have a dedicated car for this winter stuff going full-send on tire choice makes sense.

Knowing me, I’ll probably put snows on the factory 18’s and will end up getting a second set of wheels after next winter when I want to tow something but not with snow tires.

Thanks for the advice and thoughts everyone!

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

PitViper posted:

I'd evaluate each tire for dry rot or weather checking, but generally 10 years is where I (and my employer) draw the line at any service that requires a dismount from the wheel. Odds are really good that you'll rip chunks out of the bead dismounting or remounting the tire, even with generous application of lube. Especially if they've been exposed to a lot of sunlight, I've seen tires that are 3-4 years old absolutely destroyed because of UV exposure.

Personally, I've got a set of 6 year old winters and 4 year old UHP all seasons on my car, and I'm not too concerned about the age on either. Rubber is still very pliable when I'm remounting them, and there's no cracking or dry rot anywhere. They'll get replaced at 10 years regardless, or when they start to show any signs of dryness or cracking in the outer rubber.

Edit: this is not to say every tire is good for 10 years. I've absolutely refused service on some real gnarly tires in the 6-8 year range, going off the production date. But most major manufacturers say that a 10 year service life from the production date is what they expect from their products.

https://www.michelinman.com/auto/auto-tips-and-advice/tire-buying-guide/when-do-i-need-new-tires

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/learn/tire-basics/how-long-do-tires-last

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=138

Is your avatar related to your employer at all?

Not hating, I have bought several sets of tires from walmart and had fairly good experiences, even/especially with the cheapies (that have good reviews/pictures on the site).

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

reversefungi posted:

Stupid question time: Spring has snuck up on me a little earlier than I would have expected and I'm realizing I need to get my winter tires off. I'm expecting a small windfall in early May that I was hoping to use towards getting new summers + wheels. Will I be putting a non-trivial amount of wear on my winters if I keep driving them for about another 3 weeks? Temperatures look to be staying in the 60s with 2 days in the 80s next week, after having just snowed on Tuesday. I don't do a ton of driving (no daily commute, just small errands around town mostly), if that helps.

No. I run winter tires in nice weather a lot more than I would like and as long as you're not beating the gently caress out of them you'll still probably run out of time before you wear down the tread.

edit: to glom onto the above, the tires I've run on several cars have been X-Ice3's and they've been great. Never really chose them on purpose, they were just what was cheapest at the time and I've been very happy.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

PitViper posted:

I'd probably run the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ or 4 versus the summer Pilot Sports. Summer tires will give you pretty obscene amounts of dry grip, but the all seasons are probably 90% of the dry grip with significantly better wet grip, and the option of having some snow/cold capability if you happen to get caught in an early/late cold snap.

Pretty much any high performance all seasons will give you all the dry grip you can handle. They'll be a little firmer of a ride than a touring a/s tire though.

I’ve had PSAS3’s and 4’s and they’re reallllllllllllly awesome. I’ve also had PSS’s and PS4s’s and they’re definitely grippier and more aggressive, but the Pilot sport all-seasons are seriously killer tires and easily the best compromise tire by a wide margin.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Suburban Dad posted:

Michelin will be on sale at Costco soon and Bridgestone is on promo now. Wife's car has a set of winters already and will need new tires for her "rest of year" wheels. What should I put on her outback? I'm thinking whatever they have for cheapish is probably sufficient. I know the Bridgestone will be cheaper but not sure if there's anything to actively avoid.

No spirited driving, just commuting really. Michigan so poo poo roads and it's pothole season.

I loved the Bridgestone QuietTracks I had on my Kia, did well in the winter and were quiet and civilized the rest of the year.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I say the opposite, I’d go Michelin but I’m a self-admitted Michelin fanboi.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Infinotize posted:

I had DWSs and they were okay, I liked my A/S 3s I got later way more, they turned a little sharper and had way better cold traction. I have also become a michelin only whore whatever the price is.

That Michelin feel is really… it’s there, it’s a thing. They just feel right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Sarah Cenia posted:

cross posting from stupid questions thread:

so my car (1995 Corolla) just died for good and it has these size tires on it, and they're brand new:
P185/65R14

my other shitbox (1993 Nissan D21) has tires of this size, and they're shot:
P195/75R14

is it possible to throw the newer ones on there just to get by for a while? is this a dangerous thing to do? im like, beyond broke and just need the cheapest possible solution here.

The wheels won't fit, and the cost to swap the tires is probably a bit more than you're expecting (hopefully you have some ubercheap shady tire shops around you, they can be useful in times like this), and the Corolla's tires are a fair bit smaller than the truck's tires.

Your speedo will be reading high and your speed/load carrying capacity will be diminished, but it'll be safe and if I was in a bind and in your situation I'd probably swap them over assuming it wasn't going to be too expensive.