Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
Continental extreme winter contacts coupled with all wheel drive is like using a god mode video game cheat. We put the winter tires on our 9-7x and we leave all terrain tires (Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S) on the suburban and they are fine for winter duty, but when it gets extra cold and the roads are extra slippery there is a huge difference when I drive both of our vehicles back to back.

The high performance all seasons on the 9-7x are absolutely useless in the snow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

MrOnBicycle posted:

Of course got a flat tire on my rear left. Brand new Goodyears as well. Seems to be a slow leak.
Tire places and mechanics that do tires here do something they call (directly translated) "umbrella repairs" that are supposed to be permanent. Might be hard to answer, but can tire repairs generally be trusted? It's about 40-50% of the cost of a new tire.
Also, my car has one of those lovely repair kits so I am praying for it to for once work and get me to a tire shop...

Umbrella repair sounds like what I would call a patch-plug. It’s literally a patch on the end of a stem of rubber, and it is the only “proper” tire repair. If they are doing that type of repair and doing it the right way it is 100% trusty.

Modus Man fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 3, 2019

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Long Francesco posted:

It's always been a slip the dude 10 bucks kind of repair afaik. 50% seems insane.

Nobody's taking the wheel off the vehicle, dismounting the tire from the wheel, repairing it (inspect, clean, drill, buff, glue, patch, seal) then mounting the tire back on the wheel and possibly servicing the tpms and back on the vehicle for $10.

I commonly see $25-$30 for a repair and maybe another $10-$20 to re-balance it. I suppose you could get a new tire for double that, depending on the size and quality of the tire.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

BraveUlysses posted:

shopping for winter wheel/tires...

so it seems like my wife's cx-5 could use passenger car tires or light truck tires (which are more expensive) is the only real difference going to be the theoretical max load? i feel like car tires should be better than truck tires, all things considered

I wouldn’t go with LT’s on anything but heavy full size trucks. They are a rougher ride compared to their passenger counterparts, and I think that would be exaggerated even more so on a lighter small suv.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Preoptopus posted:

Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT or AT3 4s. One of the few AT's that offer a 60k treadlife warranty.

I’ll always vouch for the discoverers. Granted, I haven’t tried the LT version but I’m on my third set in a row on my Suburban in 265/70-17. I got about 75,000 miles (@30k /year) out of each of the first two sets and I don’t see anything indicating that this third set won’t do the same. Never had a complaint about wear or noise or traction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

stump posted:

I’ve done a little more research....

- I’ve decided on 4 season ATs, but not ko2’s as they are bloody expensive and maybe aren’t the best in winter.
- Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S seem like the best for the money, anybody used them? Some Eastern European guys in dacias and Americans in huge pickups have some very encouraging videos of them in use.
- Hankook rf10’s (like hens teeth), Falken Wildpeak, Pirelli Scorpion AT+ also in the running.
- I really overthink tyre purchases.

I have used Cooper Disco AT3’s on my Suburban in Michigan for years. I get about 70,000 miles a set, 3 sets in a row. They see mostly highway commuting and rural dirt roads. They are not as good as dedicated snow tires in the snow but they aren’t bad in the snow. I have driven down unplowed rural roads through snow drifts higher than the hood without traction issues. I have a feeling the new “4s” version might be a little softer compound so they supposedly should be a little better in the extra cold temps. I highly recommend this tire.