Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Ok I'm thinking about what to do about tires on my new '21 CX-5 AWD. It's got some squarely mediocre Toyo A23 all-seasons on it from the factory. I'm torn on whether I want to do full-on winters for it since our winters are pretty mild here in Seattle, but I do go skiing which mostly means plowed highways and maybe some nasty conditions getting off the mountain after a snow day.

Something like those new Michelin CrossClimate 2s with the snowflake rating on them seems pretty dang appealing and skipping the dual wheelsets. Reviews seem pretty positive on them, especially for only occasional real snow driving with AWD. Are they a gimmick or worth it?

The OEM Toyos only have like 6k miles on them and feels kind of wasteful to toss them already but I'm sure they'll last like 50k+ miles and I can't wait that long for something better.

TheBacon posted:

How would people feel about running PS4S all winter in the Seattle area?

I run PS4S on my RWD E46 in Seattle year round just fine around town, as long as you aren't going to go out driving on the random 0-7 days a year it might snow or ice over. Most of the city shuts down and everyone works from home if it does snow, unless you're like an ER doc or something.

They work fine/great in wet-but-not-frozen conditions in the 30-50s which is most of the winter here. I also garage park them so they aren't always in the cold. I drove on them in the snow out of desperation/bad timing one time, and I made it home but I wouldn't recommend it.

I've got a separate set of winters for the E46 for real snow and winter driving like going into the mountains, but now with my aforementioned appliance CUV I'll probably ditch them and just always leave the PS4S on all the time now.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I've always stored my extra wheels/tires flat stacked right on top of each other. Never experienced or noticed any issues after 10+ years. When I had a less weather-proof garage I put a couple pieces of wood down beneath the bottom wheel just to keep it from being directly on the potentially damp ground.

Also to follow up on my previous question, I pulled the trigger on putting some Michelin CrossClimate2s on my new CX-5 AWD in lieu of doing the two wheelset switcheroo like on the E46. My timing was great, as I got them on there a couple weeks before a big PNW cold snap and winter storm. Drove on them up to the mountain passes for skiing six days, some rather gnarly, as well as around town in the weekish of lingering snow and ice. They did great, so far no regrets. I of course took the opportunity to do some donuts and such in empty snow-filled lots, and the CC2s had pretty dang good traction there too.

And the road noise and driving feel is not noticeably different from the stock Toyo all seasons. If anything it's a teeny bit better/quieter. For my use case in a relatively mild climate that doesn't see lowland freezing all that often it seems tire design/tech may finally be at a place where there is such a thing as an actually-all season tire, for practical use cases.

Now the E46 gets to just keep its wonderful PS4s on all the time and stay garaged if its freezing out.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 9, 2022

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Been happy so far with the CrossClimate 2s on my CX-5. Has handled several ski days on kinda gnarly and icy roads, and otherwise they drive like a high quality all season. Haven't tested them in truly hot temps, but they have been fine in the 70s-80s which would turn a real winter tire into mush.

Tire noise is not an issue and they ride well. I might have taken a small efficiency hit versus the factory Toyos that were probably optimized for efficiency over all else, but I haven't scienced it out to prove it. Regardless it has been worth it, the factory tires were meh.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 9, 2022

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm not sure if this varies by brand or year or anything, let me know if it does. Do TPMS sensors have to be re-programmed at a dealer or can a tire shop do it or is it something you can do with an OBDII scanner? I normally have two sets of wheels and swap back and forth between winter and all season but I've been looking at newer cars that have TPMS and apparently in some cases they need to be reprogrammed and if you don't do that then it throws an error and messes with your stability control for some reason? I don't know, this is all fairly new to me, I've only ever had one new enough car for TPMS sensors or stability control and it was when I drove around on all seasons all the time.

It does depend on the specific make and model. Some cars are trivially easy and others are a pain in the rear end.

But most tires shops should be able to handle most cars.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I’d be surprised if many cheap pressure gauges were even reliably accurate or readable to +/- 2psi

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

cc2s on my cx-5 are great, currently handling snow and ice for a second year with aplomb. i don't think they are particularly noisy and handle well but ymmv with your vehicle.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Crossclimate 2

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

In contrast, the CC2s I put on my CX-5 to replace the extremely mid factory Toyo all seasons ride the same or better, the only downside being a little bit reduced fuel economy because they aren’t hard max wear hockey puck tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Hello tire thread. I’ve just bought a Kia EV9. It’s an AWD, all electric SUV.

EV stuff aside, I had a really similar decision to make here in Seattle/WA because our state DOT has the same antiquated rules around AWD/chains/tires in the mountains. I am running Michelin CrossClimate 2s. They're not a "real" winter tire so they can be driven year round but they are snowflake-rated and don't turn to mush above 50 degrees. They do pretty well in snow for getting up to ski areas and such, but then are still perfectly normal and decent tires in other conditions too. If it gets truly bad enough out there the roads get closed anyway. And it rarely snows or even freezes in the city, and if it does the city is too hilly and unprepared so everything just shuts down for a day or two and everyone stays home anyway.

My only observed downside with the CC2s is that they have a touch more rolling resistance than the the high efficiency hockey pucks that came on the car so my fuel economy takes a small hit but it's a worthwhile trade for the performance/capability and safety. That might be a bigger concern on an EV?

Refer to this video from earlier in the thread and how the CC2 is the real Goldilocks choice:

fknlo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=421HkK4Nqss

Another good video on summer, all season, all weather, and winter tires. I can vouch for the X-Ice snow myself. I have them on my Prius and they got it through poo poo it shouldn't have been able to get through. Also basically no noticeable difference in fuel economy between them and the Defender's I have for it. Treadwear is super impressive for a winter too, especially considering I ran them all year for like a year and a half.

My SUV is not a sports car so I don't mind giving up that bit of summery performance for consistent all-weather, year-round performance. The current crop of modern all-weather tires are really good and counter the old adage that "all seasons tires are no season tires".

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 1, 2024