Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I live in PA and I run dedicated summer and winter tires/wheels even though we don’t get MASSIVE amounts of snow. It’s nice having the ease of swapping in the garage vs taking them to a shop. The soft squishy rubber is definitely a big help when temps hover around 15°F for a week at a time. I usually buy the cheapest alloys DTD or TR have in stock along with well-reviewed tires that aren’t the cheapest or most expensive. On the FXT I have had Blizzak WS90 and currently have Hankook iPikes and for the Civic Si this year I bought Hankook Winter ICept. I’ve run the Michelin XIce3, the Altima’s Arctic and older iterations of the Blizzak and honestly they’ve all been very good; a massive improvement over all-seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

LRADIKAL posted:

Is there a way for me to decide when to put winter tires on? When it starts raining? When the temps get below 45? When snow is threatening?

Guess that depends on where you live. I live in PA and I usually swap when the daily high temp doesn’t get above 50-ish or when the weather starts turning to wintry mixes instead of rain, but I also have a complete set of extra wheels so it’s quick enough to swap over if it gets lovely.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Winter mode activated on the Si. Tires are Hankook Winter I*Cept iZ2. First time I’m using these exact ones but I’ve run Hankooks before in the winter and liked them. The overnight temps are suppose to drop below freezing pretty consistently starting tonight so i made the swap.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Pryor on Fire posted:

I regularly keep summer tires on when the temp drops to 20-30 degrees F, it's fine don't worry about it just don't try to test your car's limits or anything.

Snow tires don't go on until there is actually snow.

Not worried, but I always swap when it gets around this time of year and have never had an issue. I’d rather just have them on than have to swap last minute or in a hurry.
I can’t call in late to work if the weather gets lovely and I have to be there 7 days a week so it’s just easier to do it whenever I have a free hour around this time a year. I will still drive the S2000 with summer tires for a little while longer before putting it away.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Couple hundred miles into my new winter tires (Hankook iCept) on the Civic Si and a couple of observations:

They’re quiet
They ride well
Bit squishy (to be expected)
They’re not a fan of full boost in second gear

Got a dusting of snow the other day and the roads were slippery with some patchy black ice and they had decent grip through the lovely sections. I’m waiting for a really snowy/icy day to see how they will do in really adverse conditions.

In related news the desk clerk at the main operating room I work at was considering getting two winter tires but went with four after our discussion. Her car is a 2019 Cruze RS with the 18” wheels and it will be her only transport now that her dad’s truck walloped two deer in one day.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

My 16” Conti DWS are down to basically just the D on the Si hatch so I am going to replace them for spring along with new wheels. Thinking of going back to a 15” wheel to save weight, since the car only has 170-ish odd hp. By going to Sparco FF1 wheels and 205/55/15 tires I’ll essentially save 9lb per corner which is fantastic. I weighed my current setup with Borbet LV4 wheels and it’s a stout 39.5lb per corner - the Sparco setup would be 30.5lb. My question is: I’ve been thinking of going with Enkei RPF1 wheels instead to save another 2lb per wheel but the price difference is $84 per wheel - how much difference will I really feel?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Russian Bear posted:

The important question is how much cooler will you look with the Enkeis?

Meh they’ll be six of one and half a dozen of the other. Just both black wheels 🤷🏼‍♂️

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Charles posted:

Enkei RPF1s are really light, although I managed to bend one on a gravel road, probably when I was doing 60+ mph 🤷‍♂️. It managed to hold the air for the ~400 miles home.

Seconding the RPF1. I have a set on my ‘19 Si and they’re great. Not terribly expensive and pretty darn light.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

For some reason ($$$$), Chevrolet puts non-LT rated tires on the new Silverados with the Z71 package, and on 20” wheels no less, and my wife has had enough. First was a sidewall tear and now a big bulge in a second sidewall. The most off-road she does is dirt roads to the kids’ friends houses, and she can’t remember hitting a pot hole large enough to bust sidewall ply. She pays attention to these things.

So she decided she wanted to go down to an 18” like the Trail Boss and asked me what tires to put on the new wheels. We decided on BFG ATKO’s in 275/70/18 which brings her up to an E load rating. Excessive for a 1500? Maybe, but the tire will drat sure be stronger, and I figure the increase in ride harshness will be offset by the 2” smaller wheels as well.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

New winter rubber just showed up for the MINI. Sumitomo Ice Edge in 195/55/16. I’ve never run these particular tires before but for $290 shipped for a set of four I’m willing to give them a shot.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Am I crazy or are cheap factory take-offs available for sale no longer as common as they used to be? I'm trying to find some wheels for snow tires for my Hyundai and it's been hard to find 17's instead of 16's or 18's. Alternatively, how annoying is it to deal with the cheap aftermarket wheels that require centering rings because the center bore is so huge?

Also, I've got Pilot Sport AS4's on the way to Costco - can't wait to replace the factory Hankooks with something better. I was hovering between those and the BFG AS+'s, but the $150 Costco discount that's going on right now pushed me over the edge.

OEM wheels have been getting crazy expensive lately, even like 16” base model alloys, so I go aftermarket pretty much all the time for winter etc.

Aftermarket wheels are usually fine. Centering rings are no big deal and if you buy wheels from Tire Rack or whatever they come with the install hardware.

I’ve had a set of wheels in my garage for years from my Civic Si that I’m going to use on my MINI for winter wheels and I just had to research the wheel hub size for those specific ones and buy rings that adapt to the MINI size. I bought the rings on eBay for like $10?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Just got around to getting these Ice Edge tires mounted up. The wheels had been sitting in my garage for two years collecting dust. They’ll be going on the Cooper S.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Speaking of higher and narrower, I mounted my winter setup on the Mini. Went from 205/45/17 to 195/55/16

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

CerealKilla420 posted:

I'll pick up a pair of quiet comforts. I only ever bought defends for my e39, e92, and my accord but obviously I really could care less about any sort of "sporty" feeling I could get from a Corolla lol. I'd much prefer a quiet ride to a grippy one with a car I'll never drive over the speed limit lol.

I've looked at the OEM Corolla wheels from the current SE and XSE models but they're really expensive (or at least more than I'm willing to spend). I was looking at the Enkei PX-10s because I feel like they look "tasteful" enough and probably won't crack/break on me.

Are these decent for $125/wheel? I'm afraid to go any cheaper than this honestly.

Enkei is a good brand. They’ll be fine. They make a ton of OEM wheels as well.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

sanchez posted:

goons, I need some winter tire advice. I live in the mid atlantic and have been driving AWD cars with good all seasons (pilot sport AS etc.) for the last 5-6 years. The actual roads here are generally in good shape, we don't get a whole lot of snow most years. However, the access road our house is on plus our driveway itself is steep, shaded and extremely prone to icing and snow accumulation. We live at the top of the hill so gravity generally ensures it's possible to leave. I've always managed to get home again as well but there have been some interesting moments and I have had to give up a couple of times and wait for some ice melt to work.

Now i have an FWD Accord with whatever mediocre eco focused all season tires Honda included and i'm really worried about how that's going to work this winter. I want to get a second set of wheels with snow tires.

Tirerack wants to sell me Michelin X-Ice Snow, Blizzak WS90 or more of a 'performance winter' tire like Sottozero 3 and Dunlop Wintersport 4D. I'll be driving on clear roads 95% of the time so dry/wet traction on clear pavement is a big deal, which seems to suggest a performance winter tire. But I'm worried they won't handle the driveway. Right now I'm leaning towards the X-Ice but :shrug:

I had the X-Ice on my TSX and a Civic Si in PA. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy them again if the price was right.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

CerealKilla420 posted:

Sweet - should I go with the 17in wheels or should I just stick with 16in?

16in would be quieter right? Because there's more rubber?

If you can go with 16, I would. It won’t necessarily be quieter but your ride quality will likely improve slightly due to more sidewall absorbing the impacts.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

CerealKilla420 posted:

Ok cool - I was not sure if it would improve the ride or not. I just know that all the luxury car makers like the low profile tires which are expensive and like to rip themselves on potholes/curbs. For some reason I thought that maybe low-pros were smoother or something... Do they just put them on luxury cars because they look cool? I feel like there isn't much of an advantage there...

Big wheels is fancy and ‘spensive, so they’re marketed as being better/aspirational. Plus they clear bigger brakes and improve handling, to a point.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

So we got some snow and ice in the last five days or so and I got a chance to lightly test out the Sumitomo Ice Edges I put on the MINI. They have good grip, and even pulling out of my icy driveway this morning my son commented on how little loss of traction there was even compared to our truck with BFG ATKO2’s.

Overall handling is very good as well now that it’s cold out consistently. They were (expectedly) squishy on 55-60° days.

For $280 per set is definitely buy again.

For reference:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

The Macaroni posted:

So I went with the Michelin Crossclimate tires and, uh, my gas mileage has dropped substantially (30 MPG to 24). No change in driving habits or distance or type, only variable is the tire. I’m already heading back to the shop because one of the tires is getting shaky at speeds over 50 MPH, but is this a thing?

I’d have them check inflation while you are there getting the balance sorted out. Maybe they left them a little low? The cross climates might be a touch heavier than what you had before but not in a way that should drop mpg by 20%

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

sharkytm posted:

I have General Grabber ATX on my truck ('15 2500HD Duramax). They've worn fast, but have been pretty solid. They replaced Michelin LTX ATX2s. The Michelins were way quieter on-road, and lasted longer, but weren't great in snow/mud.

I had Transforce AT2s on my old truck ('07 2500HD gas). They were nowhere as good a tire, much more in the "meh commercial aka cheap all terrain", which is what they're designed to do. I think they were quieter on-road and lasted forever, though.

The KO2 is the standard for a reason, it's pretty hard to go wrong with them. That's probably what will go on my truck if I keep it long enough to replace the Generals.

When my wife’s 1500 Z71 kept having tire issues (thanks GM for using 20 inch wheels and non-LT tires on a 5,000lb “off road” truck), we switched to KO2’s in 18 inch and 10-ply and they’re better in every way, including ride quality. I used to sell the poo poo out of the KO’s when I was at the tire shop and I had them on my full-size Bronco. Believe the hype.

Edit: why the gently caress is the awful app getting rid of all my apostrophes?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

wallaka posted:

UTQG is the tread wear rating basically. Bigger number is better but generally inversely comparable to traction ratings. I've ran the BFGs and Falken Wildpeaks and prefer the Falkens because they're cheaper, slightly quieter and look cooler. I suspect that BFGs are the default option for a reason, though. I've only ran the BFGs for a month so far so can't comment on wear. I don't do serious off-roading, just a logging trail here and there but they seem to be comparable in traction.

E: the BFGs are lighter if it matters.

I put BFG’s on every truck and off-roady SUV I’ve owned. They’re great for getting up logging roads and casual off-roading, and wear well to boot. They also aren’t noticeably louder in my experience than the factory tire options on a lot of modern larger vehicles. Additionally, I seem to get the same fuel economy with them on our 2020 Silverado despite them being 10-ply and thus significantly heavier than the stock non-LT rated rubber. They’re absolutely my go-to choice for anything that’s going to be on an unmaintained dirt/farm road on a semi-regular basis.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Voltage posted:

Any suggestion for new tires for my ridgeline? I'm in the northeast and want something that can do snow/mild off road duty, but my current (and beyond shot) BFG Trail Terrain's are way, way too loud. I was thinking either Michelin Cross Climates, or Vredistien Pinza AT's - both are supposed to have good off road capabilities and are snow rated. Basically just need all terrain-ish quiet tires.

Some years ago I had very good luck with the Hankook Dynapro AT2 on my ‘02 F-150 when I had to replace some clapped-out whatevers that were on it. They seemed reasonably priced and gave nice leves of grip without a ton of noise, plus they have the snowflake rating.

I imagine based on their tread pattern that if they start feathering, they will get loud, so a good idea to keep it aligned and the tires rotated.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Any benefits to Azenis RT660K vs RT615K+?

Thinking about popping a set of either on my otherwise stock EM1.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

My rear tires on the S2K are due for replacement so I ordered same-same as before, but mostly because they were inexpensive and the grip was decent while they lasted. Hankook Ventus V12 in 225/45/17 @ $127 apiece. Fronts look brand new.

The car lives indoors and I am pretty good about checking pressures but I think maybe these tires like a little less air than I usually run since the center seems to have worn out faster. It’s due for an alignment but I can’t see that wearing the rear prematurely. Spirited driving but nothing crazy. They really didn’t seem to last very long though.

I also ordered some Tire Rack closeout Yokohama Ice Guards for the OEM Fit wheels, in 185/55/16. It’s going back to being my DD and when I’m back on my feet after my hip replacement later this year it will be mid-February in PA so I don’t want to screw around and damage my summer wheels.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I’m in PA, which doesn’t get snow nearly as early as the northern states but even I swapped my Fit onto the winter tires last week. Overnight temps have dropped to below freezing so having a tire that isn’t a hockey puck in the cold is a bonus.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

you ate my cat posted:

I'm putting new tires on a car for the first time in 5 years, so I'm a little behind. I used to go with Continental ExtremeContact DWS and liked them. The thread favorite seems to be the Pilot Sport A/S line, which is a little more expensive and slightly less well rated on Tire Rack. Is there a compelling reason to choose between the two? They seem to be pretty similar tires except for price.

For what’s it’s worth I like the Conti DWS06 a lot. I have them on my FiST for daily duty and they are surviving the torque steer admirably, as well as returning excellent economy and handling.

I also have a set for my S60R but I’m not currently using them because they’re on the stock wheels which need a refinish, but they were excellent when I was running them on that car as well.

I don’t generally like all-seasons but the R came with the DWS and I was impressed enough with their versatility to use them on the FiST. If you liked them before, you’ll probably like them now, and as you said the prices are decent on them.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Wroughtirony posted:

Recs for "winter" tires for my Fiesta ST? I live in Maryland so I can run summer tires 9 months a year, I just need something for December through March or so. I'm thinking just basic all seasons?

Continental DWS06. Best “all-season” I’ve used. Have them on my FiST, S2000, and S60R

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Yeah I guess if you have room/cash for two sets, then I’d also recommend a dedicated summer setup and a dedicated for-real winter setup with something like a Blizzak or a Michelin X-Ice or Yokohama IceGuard etc. No compromises in performance either way.

But if you’re looking for an all-season that can actually handle (some) snow, that’s where the DWS come in. I run them year-round in PA on my FiST which is basically a work/commuter car.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

BlackMK4 posted:

Costco had a sale on Bridgestone RE71RS, finally time to try a quicker tire after running Toyo RRs and Maxxis RC1s exclusively for the past five years of track days.

My 911’s extra wheel set have RE-71RS’s mounted on them and I can’t wait til spring to run them.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

If you’re going for performance all-season, I can never get tired of recommending the DWS06. Had them on my S60R, and currently run them on the S2000, FiST, and 911 as the all-around choice when the 200tw sets come off.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I did that last week on the Miata (RT660) and the 911 (RE-71RS). The S2000 (V730) got done a bit earlier since it doesn’t come out in the cold no matter what.

I love 200tw rubber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I run DWS06 all year round on my Fiesta ST. All-seasons are always a compromise but I’ve never been disappointed in the DWS