Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Your stay at a shop is a heck of a lot shorter when they're swapping wheels instead of having to mount and balance tires. Also, if you have the tools, you can swap your own wheels whenever you want, without having to wait for an appointment, take time away from work, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Michigan being wacky, I also (prefer to) do all-seasons and winters for my daily. That way I'm not screwed by those fun fall and spring periods when you get snow and 70F in the space of a week. My Miata gets fully seasonal tires since I wouldn't want to drive it during a freak snow event anyway.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

NJ Deac posted:

Thanks for all of the input, everyone. I'm a little reluctant to deviate from OEM spec just because of the stock situation, and I've got another car I can use if I HAVE to drive anywhere, so I'm leaning towards waiting until I can find some Pirelli Zero Winters in stock like I've seen recommended here and in several other places for this car.

It's supposed to be a reasonably warm and sunny day on Saturday (50ish degrees or so) when I take delivery, so I think the current plan will be to drive it home on the summers, then hunker down and limit playing with the new toy until the weather starts to warm up in another month or two, then revisit in the fall when hopefully winter rubber isn't in such short supply.

I don't know what your plans for the car are, but I expect most of NY has the same weather problem Michigan does, which is that in March and even April you can get 65 degrees one day and two inches of snow the next. I (try to) run all-season tires for most of the year and winter tires between roughly Thanksgiving and early spring. If your dealer can put all-weathers on there for you without ripping you off, I'd take them up on that, instead of risking needing to put summer tires on snow or ice.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

My experience has been that while the performance difference between top-notch summers and top-notch all-seasons is measurable, and very real on a track, you are unlikely to encounter it on the street except in terms of the number of feet required for a panic stop.

I run all-seasons in the summer and winters in the winter for exactly the reason you describe. Those transition seasons where you can get snow and low 70s in the same week make summer tires hard to live with.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

The ultimate winter tire is supposed to be the Nokian Hakkepelita (spelling?) series of tire if you want to go way overboard hehe

Ultimate snow performance, but if I remember correctly, they prioritize snow so much that they're inferior to several other tires on cleared roads in freezing weather.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

I'm thinking whatever they have for cheapish is probably sufficient.

I suggest you reconsider this. Tires are fundamental safety gear. If you ever need to make a panic stop, better tires might be the difference between hitting something and stopping short, or repairable damage and having your car totaled out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I got caught by a freak early snowfall with summers on my B7 (correction: B8) S4. It was just barely enough to cover the ground, guaranteed to be gone the next day, but I had to get groceries right then. Well, I thought I did. The driving experience was so terrifying that if I had it to do over again, I'd have stayed home and told my family to do without. The car could not corner or accelerate, and any use of the brakes (I do mean ANY) would trigger the ABS.

Now I alternate all weather tires and winters on my daily and summers and winters on my Miata.

Zorak of Michigan fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 14, 2023