Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Welcome to the Fruits Basket thread!

Fruits Basket is a new adaptation of a shoujo manga series written and illustrated by Natsuki Takaya. It was published from 1998 to 2006 and also had an anime adaptation that came out in 2001. The series' title comes from the name of a popular game played in Japanese elementary schools, which is alluded to in the series.

From what i can gather the author wasn't very happy with the original adaptation and is more directly involved with this one. And also, the series seems to have been rather formative for the Western fandom when it came out and a lot of people remember it fondly. Although i've meant to read or watch it for many years, i've never actually gotten around to it so i'm going in basically blind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M7f41OJfcM

quote:

After the accident in which she lost her mother, 16-year-old Tohru moves in with her grandfather, but due to his home being renovated, is unable to continue living with him. Claiming she will find someone to stay with but also fearing the criticism of her family and not wanting to burden any of her friends, Tohru resorts to secretly living on her own in a tent in the woods.

One night on her way back from work, she finds her tent buried underneath a landslide. Yuki Soma, the "prince" of her school, and his cousin Shigure Soma, a famous author, stumble across Tohru's situation and invite her to stay with them until her grandfather’s home renovations are complete.

But she soon learns a Big Secret

Every member of the Soma family is under a curse to turn into one of the 12 Chinese Zodiac animals when under stress or when hugged by someone of the opposite sex. There is also a Cat who is not a part of the Zodiac (or Soma clan) but would very much like to be.

So far there's been a nice mix of drama, comedy, and romance with a pretty good love triangle seeming to have formed already. With many more Zodiac animals still to be introduced i'm sure there's much more story to unfold along with way more drama.

Streaming on Crunchyroll and Funimation (who i believe is also doing a dub)

a kitten fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Because it's a beloved series, a bit older, and already completed, spoilers both large and small abound. But i do ask that you please be considerate about things you may know and tag carefully when or if discussing anything yet to come. Thank you!

Also, if anyone has an effortpost in them about the manga, the original anime, or the early 2000s fandom for it that would be pretty cool! Just write carefully if you think you might spoil stuff i guess.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Wark Say posted:

I remember reading something in like author's notes or a fan-book that Takaya actually mostly liked the anime (and also that she was over the moon due to Domon and Treize's Voice Actors voicing Kyo and Shigure respectively). So maybe it was the fact that it has such a slap-dash ending that bothered her?

I wish i could find more details (for all i know it's a weird US-side fan rumour), but i keep seeing references to the idea she was at least disappointed in the 2001 version and has insisted that the new one not re-use any staff or even cast.

If anyone knows any more about it i'd love to hear.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/fathomlessblue/status/1121922731220635648

:hai:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Look at her go

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

nielsm posted:

Yes, Tohru, :sever: is an acceptable choice.

Right? Those people are some assholes, goddamn.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I like that those boys were actually visible the first time we saw the scene.

even if i didn't notice on my own

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Spent this episode about 50/50 between misty eyed and grinning.

I wonder who came up with their onigiri logo, it's pretty drat good.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I've heard that they're doing about 2 chapters per episode which would put it roughly at 3 24 episode seasons, but i'm literally just guessing and going off hearsay.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm starting to suspect Tohru must generate some sort of gravity distortion effect. The Hugs Boson Field maybe.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

Well that episode was a knife twister. Jesus.

Yeah, through general anime internet osmosis i had come to expect some seriousness to hit this week, but i wasn't actually prepared for the series of emotional bodyblows that it actually delivered.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

oh god you stupid dumb idiots don't you leave her alone

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Julias posted:

In actual seasonal news, the licensed broadcasts of the next two Fruits Basket episodes will be delayed in part due to the French Open tenis tournament airing on TV in Japan in it's usual timeslot.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-05-30/fruits-basket-anime-2-episodes-delayed-due-to-french-open-broadcast/.147303

Well that's a bummer

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

If i had learned to read i would have realized that the delay was only for a matter of hours, not some indeterminate amount of time.

Anyway, episode 9 is out.

e: :gonchar:

e:e: Haru Five Aces

a kitten fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 1, 2019

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

At Anime Central, Eric Vale (Yuki's English va) said that this is set to be 63 episodes. So, two 25s and a 13?

I also don't know if he's actually in a position to know or not, but hey it's something.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

As happy as I am they've started subbing the OP song, those lyrics are kind of a gut punch. Way to make me emotionally vulnerable before each episode, ya jerks.

e: holy poo poo, cuckoo chocolate

a kitten fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 9, 2019

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

Hey, I started watching this yesterday after being told it was super good several times and having it appear on my Tumblr feed frequently with several gifs that made me want to cry even without knowing their context.

Now I know the context and I can say the crying was very much deserved. This is a very good show and I want to hug everyone. Even if it means I'll end up with a boar in my hands.

Welcome

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hanajima is the best.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yuki stop, she's already dead.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Tag yourself

I'm a sparkle.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

This episode sure was an emotional rollercoaster, between the hilarious Soma antics and the...far less hilarious Soma non-antics. Which I guess is every episode but the series managed to perfectly hit, without even having to show any sort of violence, just how utterly terrifying Akito is and how hurt Yuki is.

Having Tohru step in when and how she did was so great. They did a really good job of playing up her naive and spacey side so that you might forget for a moment that she's also extremely sensitive to her friends emotional states and concerned for their well-being.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 24, 2019

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'll consider it.

also, subs for the ED now too!

a kitten fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 29, 2019

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Rody One Half posted:

I'm so happy you can all finally meet the strongest Soma

me too

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/wtk/status/1145896250493079552?s=21

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Alright, let's fire up this weeks Fruits Basket!

Ah, so this is probably going to be one of those episodes where I just cry for 23 minutes straight huh

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I just want to say that Twintail Tohru is good.

e: GREAT TEACHER MAYUKO

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 14, 2019

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm catching up since I'm two weeks behind, but now I'm dying.

Kyoko was so cool and good and I'm legitimately bummed out that she's gone. I adore Tohru's momfriends, but god drat it they shouldn't have to be both those things to her :(

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

:siren:

:siren:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

For various reasons I'm about 6 episodes behind, although I suspect I know the answer I have to ask: is it still really good?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

:toot:

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1175154679287709696?s=19

Hopefully i can catch up by then

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Small season two PV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBBePKQTWFE

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Finally finished this up, and well, i still sure like it a lot! My timing is pretty good because the new season starts on April 6, 2020 (tomorrow) although i'm not positive that's when it will be on crunchyroll.

Also, during one of the last couple episodes Yuki goes to Tohru's room and The Hat is sitting right on the bed and:

me: "he's gonna see it!"
hat: *falls off bed*
me: :mad:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I keep trying to get caught up, but for various personal reasons i'm mostly avoiding stories with certain themes right now. This particular story, probably because i really like it, just causes me to sob for pretty much the entire 22 minute runtime regardless of what's actually going on. Which, with well everything going on has caused me to slip further and further behind on it.

Looking forward to eventually catching up though.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Aaaaaaaaaaaa!

Awesome

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Season three has started! Although I'm still not caught up I'm really looking forward to getting there and seeing how this all plays out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/AnimeNewsNet/status/1391800211882840064?s=19

I really liked this article, kinda summed up a lot of what I love about Tohru and this series in general