Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
It really depends on what you're liking in the new adaptation - the old version absolutely beats the new one on amping up the humor (Yuki's fan club introduction has so much more character,) and the original soundtrack, especially the OP, is a classic.

However, the new adaptation is probably a better fit for the manga as a whole - it's certainly more of a drama than a madcap comedy, and so far, the adaptation has been very good about rearranging things to maximize that emotion and play down the jokes. It feels much less situational/episodic like this time around. Even the animation, storyboarding & direction of the reboot lean towards realism over any sort of exaggerated style at every turn.

Basically, if you liked how goofy late 90s/early 00s anime could get, it's worth looking at the old show. Otherwise, sticking with the new show is enough, though definitely check out the manga if you've not already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Indiana_Krom posted:

I did catch a bit of temporal whiplash in the most recent episode when at school all the girls were taking pictures with smart phones, but there was a rotary dial landline at the house. I'm kind of curious what technology was present in the original manga/anime for those scenes.

Looking at the festival scene in the original, there wasn't even traditional cameras. The land line is also a rework as well as in the manga Hitori handed a note off to Tohru directly. I think that might mean they looked to put an intentional shift from the modern world and the isolated Sohma clan.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 12, 2019

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Paracelsus posted:

The comedic timing of the original was impeccable. I hope the new version doesn't let us down with the visit to Hana's house.

Agreed! Akitaro Daichi is a legend of balancing pathos and with perfectly timed humor. He hammered that home with Kodocha, and while Natsuki Takuya wasn't happy with Daichi's adaptation of Fruits Basket, I really doubt the manga would've been such a big hit in the US without the anime. I really don't expect the new adaptation to capture that, but it's worth highlighting and revisiting because that snappy direction was a big part of it finding such a broad and lasting audience in the West originally.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 13, 2019