Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

a kitten posted:

Because it's a beloved series, a bit older, and already completed, spoilers both large and small abound. But i do ask that you please be considerate about things you may know and tag carefully when or if discussing anything yet to come. Thank you!

Also, if anyone has an effortpost in them about the manga, the original anime, or the early 2000s fandom for it that would be pretty cool! Just write carefully if you think you might spoil stuff i guess.

Living out of a tent in Japan is the easymodo of homelessness. Just plunk down a little bit out of the way and people don't seem to care.

The original was one of the first internet fansubs I followed, but don't remember a whole lot other than not finding the ending satisfying. This should be a fun way to re-experience it, and it seems pretty good from what I've watched so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

How many episodes does the manga have material for? I'm guessing it's going to at least match the original 26 episodes.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Oh hell yeah I'm down for that.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

It's been so long that I don't think I could make a comparison, but I do miss some of the old soundtrack. The chaotic drumline that plays when stuff begins to go wacky is one of my favorites and I still hear it in my head from time to time.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I just realized that when they were taking Yuki home the rat was riding on the back of the ox just like in the Chinese zodiac story. :3

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/bLANp4F.gifv

I hope we get to see more evil Tohru

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Awww man I was hoping it'd be uninterrupted seasons.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Blaze Dragon posted:

We already knew they wouldn't be, I mean, the title straight up says "Season One". That has a meaning.

I never watch shows that are more than 26 episodes so my apologies for not knowing how this stuff works, I guess!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Tohru blowing her nose is just so hilarious and adorable. hweeee~

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I'm sure we're going to find out more about their history during the Bad Times but Yuki needs to be more appreciative of his dumb big brother. He's over the top but seems to be a good guy deep down who loves his little bro.

We better get more Mine, she rocks.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

This week's episode was really fun, it feels like it's been a while since we got one like that for the main group. I might just be biased because I really like Kyoto though.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Nara has the park famous for its deer and it's a quick ride over. They've been considered sacred for over a thousand years and as such they're accustomed to humans.

quote:

According to local folklore, Sika deer from this area were considered sacred due to a visit from Takemikazuchi-no-mikoto, one of the four gods of Kasuga Shrine. He was said to have been invited from Kashima Shrine in present-day Ibaraki Prefecture, and appeared on Mount Mikasa (also known as Mount Wakakusa) riding a white deer. From that point, the deer were considered divine and sacred by both Kasuga Shrine and Kōfuku-ji. Killing one of these sacred deer was a capital offense punishable by death up until 1637, the last recorded date of a breach of that law.

They sell special crackers for feeding the deer, and over the generations they've learned to bow when asking for food, which is pretty adorable. They can be aggressive though, to the point where they'll start going through your bags and pockets for those sweet, sweet crackers. I made the mistake of putting them in my rear jersey pocket and once they figured out where they were they kept digging into my back, and one fella kept chasing me around the park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkMs7FqDNBE

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Paracelsus posted:

Souma Parents Score:

Good: Hiro, Kisa, Kagura, Ritsu

Bad: Yuki/Ayame, Kyo, Rin, [CLASSIFIED]

Somewhere in-between: Momiji (his mom hurt him a lot, but she was also not really sane at the time, and his dad clearly cares for him but is caught in the middle)

Unknown: Haru, Shigure, Hattori, Kureno

It's fairly evenly spread out numerically, but since Yuki and Kyo are more central to the narrative their bad parents loom larger.

At least Kyo's lovely dad was replaced with the awesome Shisho. Think of the hilarity if Hanajima ends up being his step-foster-mom after graduation.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I'm sad that we won't get to see evil Tohru in real life instead of just in the imaginations of the crazy girls.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

This series better end with a flash-forward where Hanajima is Kyo's stepmom.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The introduction of the student council felt out of place at first but I think I'm starting to understand where they're going with it. I'm liking Yuki a lot more now that he's opening up due to Tohru's influence, and I think he's slowly becoming more like her both in understanding and helping others, as well as being more of a doofus. I hope he's able to do for Machi what Tohru did for him.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I hope they finally go into why Akito is such a piece of poo poo, because if they try to redeem her in any way they'd better make her loving earn it. I'm also fine with Akito just being unceremoniously dumped to the curb if the cast is freed of the curse and don't feel like being part of an abusive, one-sided relationship any more.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Finally got around to starting this season and the pacing seems really fast compared to the previous two, to the point where there's some tonal whiplash between scene changes with the same characters (the one with Shigure talking to Rin and Tohru at Shisho's place comes to mind). I'm still engaged and at the edge of my seat, but it feels like they're going to wrap it up in 12-13 episodes instead of a full 24-26. I chose a hell of an episode to have to wait another week for, though.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I didn't know that so that would explain it then. I was hoping we'd be getting more time with side characters since they do such a good job of making them interesting and likeable, but if there isn't that much material left to cover that can fill 24 episodes then it makes sense.

I hope they're at least able to explore Machi and Yuki's relationship a bit more before it wraps up. I really like how he's developed over the last season.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Shigure's ice cold, first thing he says "well, did you push her?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Man they're really nailing the landing so far. I'm gonna be so sad when it's finally over, I want an OVA or something so I can see them all being happy after the fact.