Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

afatwhiteloaf posted:

i ahven't watched wrestling in three years. why does ambrose look and sound so different. did they kill him and replace him with a different guy

the original Dean Ambrose died in a boating accident in 2013

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
thank you all for coming to my thread, we couldn't reach gold this time, but look forward to my next thread, which will be the Saudi Arabia Show thread on May 3rd

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Drew McIntyre posted:

this is my favorite dean ambrose moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxK4b1mHXXI
same

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That promo was every reason why Dean Ambrose will always be one of my favorite guys in WWE, especially of the last 15 years or so.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

afatwhiteloaf posted:

i ahven't watched wrestling in three years. why does ambrose look and sound so different. did they kill him and replace him with a different guy

Got a little older, worked a tough schedule, had surgery, got real jacked baby.

By all accounts he's happily married now and has enough money that he's realized he can just step down now on his own terms because WWE, while they appreciated him, also considered him the least of the three Shield guys and probably weren't ever going to make him their top guy (he had a great run at the top on Smackdown at least) so he'd just end up frustrated if he stuck around. It seems like he handled his exit about as professionally and amicably as it is possible to do so, which is partly why WWE made such a point of not burying him on his way out.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Drew McIntyre posted:

thank you all for coming to my thread, we couldn't reach gold this time, but look forward to my next thread, which will be the Saudi Arabia Show thread on May 3rd
I thought that was moved to June or something about Backlash being executed for being a bad ppv?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Got a little older, worked a tough schedule, had surgery, got real jacked baby.

By all accounts he's happily married now and has enough money that he's realized he can just step down now on his own terms because WWE, while they appreciated him, also considered him the least of the three Shield guys and probably weren't ever going to make him their top guy (he had a great run at the top on Smackdown at least) so he'd just end up frustrated if he stuck around. It seems like he handled his exit about as professionally and amicably as it is possible to do so, which is partly why WWE made such a point of not burying him on his way out.

And I think there's pretty much equal odds that Dean will eventually return to WWE or he won't until The Shield goes into the HOF (assuming we're not all dead by then).

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i dont understand why the thread isn't golden. i have voten so many times that my finger feels uncomfortable. can anyone explain what's going on

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I tried to vote from my phone and I don't think it worked. :(

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
RIP Dean Ambrose. I hope you go back to living a life where you choke women while you threaten them with forks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNGOY-jeYwI
I will actually miss the dude and he seemed to know how to channel his traumatic upbringing into a wrestling character that resonated with a lot of people. It's a shame WWE were never comfortable with letting him be more creatively flexible but it's pretty obvious even going back to the aborted Mick Foley feud that his vision of what wrestling should be never fit with their corporate mentality and I think he did his best within that system to stay true to the role he envisioned for himself. I hope he takes some bookings as Jon Moxley and is able to work some angles and matches he's wanted to pursue, because while I never thought he should be the focal point of a promotion he was always way better at the character aspect of wrestling than WWE ever let him portray on TV.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure Jon (gonna call him that because he's officially not Dean Ambrose anymore) will be good as heck anywhere he goes and I'm honestly glad he's going away from WWE for a while because it seems best for him but I'm not gonna lie I'm selfishly gonna miss seeing him on live national TV every week.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

robert said dean ambrose is booking Beach House to do a private show at his place on saturday.

JK!
May 10, 2007

EZ-PZ!
I stopped in just to vote 5. Gold it up in here!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
However this plays out, the biggest winner in this whole situation is Dean. His contract expired at the right time as competition is bubbling up, forcing WWE to play nice and not burn bridges with one of their biggest stars (and in turn keeping Renee happy, which they're absolutely invested in doing). He gets to look like a class act honoring his commitments to the literal final day, creating tons of fan goodwill and genuine intrigue as to what he does next. Now the ball is in his court and he has all the leverage, whether it's waltzing into another company or just taking time off and building up anticipation for his return, which will be a massive payday either way.

Basically Jonathan Good played his hand perfectly, and I gotta salute him for that.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Mr. Carlisle posted:

My favorite Ambrose moment was him coming back with a haircut and skinny jeans and people freaking out about his new look like the scraggly wet thinning longer hair was a good idea to begin with

i actually really liked dean's semi-poofy wet dog hair. well, while it was still holding on. the haircut was necessary.

i always liked dean, sloppy offense and all, he was one of the characters that really hooked into me when i started watching wwe again a few years back. you know how you should never let vince see you dance, or youll become the dancing guy? dean shouldve never let vince know he was funny, even though the best dean promos always had some good one-liners interspersed among the serious stuff.

hope to see him in a ring again someday, hopefully wwe hasnt totally beaten the love for performing outta him.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

what is Jon Moxley doing in the AEW zone!?!?!?

Dean you had some funny promos but most of your single matches made me fall asleep

THE WACKY LINE

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
And for the record, I stand with Foochs, even if it doesn't seem that way. Dean was my guy, I rode and died with him during the original Shield run, and his first promo after Seth turned made me think he was on the way to something huge. Then, yadda yadda, something something exploding TV, he didn't seem cool anymore, and it made his flaws stand out more in my mind.

Since then I've mostly goofed on Dean, not because I thought he was suddenly bad (though there was a definitely a time where the injuries/road schedule caught up with him and you're lying if you missed his dropoff in quality), but more because I was frustrated at the lost potential. That "next Stone Cold" talk didn't come from nowhere, there was definitely a moment where it felt like Dean was the next big thing. But it never happened, he got burned out, and here we are. I still hope he can rediscover that fire somewhere else, but I also won't blame him for just taking a long break.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i voted 175 times so i just want everyone to know that your vote only counts once. it might be per ip address, or perhaps something as simple as a "cookie" file. disappointed with whoever has not voted number five.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Dean was probably the single biggest roller coaster I've ridden as a wrestling fan. His highs in the wake of the Shield Breakup and the crushing low of his feud with Bray, followed by the long, painful reconstruction of his credibility leading up to Mania 32, and the even more crushing low of his squash at Brock's hands, followed by the sudden surge to what was probably the peak of his WWE Career: Money In The Bank 2016 (which is now one of my all time favorite Pay Per Views), his run as Champion of Smackdown after the Brand Split, and his brilliant long-form Main Event feud with AJ and Elsworth.

Then came Superstar Shakeup 2017, his transfer to Raw, and the long, painful road to the end that was The Shield's cursed reunion and his heel turn.

But the memory I'm going to take away is his final weeks. Starting from the moment where he walked through the curtain after taking a massive beating, and asked in a joshing, friendly tone just where the heck Seth and Roman were while he was getting slapped around, Seth asked him what the hell he was talking about after they'd been in a blood feud for months, and Dean just shrugged. And from that moment on they were friends again, as if nothing had happened. Dean just decided not to be evil anymore, and his friends just sighed and accepted it because that's the kind of character Dean Ambrose is. Unstable. Anarchic. But sharing a bond with those two men that not even he himself could break.

When Drew McIntyre kicked Roman in the head, and Dean DEMANDED that Triple H give him a match with him, No Holds Barred, Falls Count Anywhere, it gave me chills. And when Drew put his head through that banister and hit the Claymore against the steel, my heart wrenched. My only regret is that that moment was not his last on on-camera in WWE, because it would have been the perfect note for him to go out on: full of righteous fury, fighting for a brother, looking give a bastard what he has coming, and doing it (and going out) on his own terms.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sanguinia posted:

Dean was probably the single biggest roller coaster I've ridden as a wrestling fan. His highs in the wake of the Shield Breakup and the crushing low of his feud with Bray, followed by the long, painful reconstruction of his credibility leading up to Mania 32, and the even more crushing low of his squash at Brock's hands, followed by the sudden surge to what was probably the peak of his WWE Career: Money In The Bank 2016 (which is now one of my all time favorite Pay Per Views), his run as Champion of Smackdown after the Brand Split, and his brilliant long-form Main Event feud with AJ and Elsworth.

Then came Superstar Shakeup 2017, his transfer to Raw, and the long, painful road to the end that was The Shield's cursed reunion and his heel turn.

But the memory I'm going to take away is his final weeks. Starting from the moment where he walked through the curtain after taking a massive beating, and asked in a joshing, friendly tone just where the heck Seth and Roman were while he was getting slapped around, Seth asked him what the hell he was talking about after they'd been in a blood feud for months, and Dean just shrugged. And from that moment on they were friends again, as if nothing had happened. Dean just decided not to be evil anymore, and his friends just sighed and accepted it because that's the kind of character Dean Ambrose is. Unstable. Anarchic. But sharing a bond with those two men that not even he himself could break.

When Drew McIntyre kicked Roman in the head, and Dean DEMANDED that Triple H give him a match with him, No Holds Barred, Falls Count Anywhere, it gave me chills. And when Drew put his head through that banister and hit the Claymore against the steel, my heart wrenched. My only regret is that that moment was not his last on on-camera in WWE, because it would have been the perfect note for him to go out on: full of righteous fury, fighting for a brother, looking give a bastard what he has coming, and doing it (and going out) on his own terms.

This is a good post and one I entirely agree with.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Tittymaster Dean: Oh yes...speaking of that, I've decided to do something different with Dean Ambrose leaving here. BRING IT IN, GUYS!!!

**suddenly...every foreign object and prop from every known Ambrose match, angle, and segment come in bringing cake, snackage, drinks and meal items**

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

SamuraiFoochs posted:

This is a good post and one I entirely agree with.

I would be lying if I said that post was not, to some extent, for an audience of one Foochs buddy. :)

Also, I mean it when I say Never Forget MITB 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-FNg2gRBhU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sanguinia posted:

I would be lying if I said that post was not, to some extent, for an audience of one Foochs buddy. :)

Also, I mean it when I say Never Forget MITB 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-FNg2gRBhU

Thanks friend. :)

I don't remember who it was who said I needed to figure out if I was a fan of Dean Ambrose, or Jon Good when all this first came out. I answered both, and to that poster's credit they took that in stride and said that was entirely fair. If Jon does go to AEW, I'll be legitimately excited and it'll go a long way in stoking my interest, ESPECIALLY if the rumors of a Tuesday night show on national cable are true. gently caress yeah, more wrestling! gently caress yeah, Jon Moxley (or whatever name he may choose to go by)!

But I really, really hope this isn't the end of Dean Ambrose, either. That character, which is an extension of Jon, really got me through some poo poo, and continues to be a bit of an inspiration for me (see especially the promo tonight; I feel like that was largely out of character but also entirely IN character for Dean Ambrose, and that's part of what made it so great). Did anyone else watch the Cole interview with The Shield? It was extremely interesting at the very end. Cole gets ready to ask Dean what the future holds for him, and he doesn't answer, while seemingly in character taking a direct shot at Vince and storming off.

If I didn't know better I'd think it was like a Punk 2011 thing where Dean was gonna return to WWE after some time off (only this time he'd be off TV more than a week) as a sort of anti-authority tweener-face. It was just very clearly different in tone from the rest of the interview, very clearly in character, and very intriguing. So good on WWE whether it's a harbinger of something or not. If Dean has already agreed to return to WWE after an extended time off though, it'd explain a lot about the way they let him go out (for now?).

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

I'm sorry to hear Dean Ambrose is dead again. Here are some of my favorite moments

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I voted

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
It blew my mind when I learned that his real name was Johnny D. Good

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

It blew my mind when I learned that his real name was Johnny D. Good

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ambrose returns in two years and declares NXT is now under his protection.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The one true Shield

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That Dean speech at the end 😭😭😭😭😭

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The one true Shield

I genuinely loved enthusiastic Step-dad Kurt being allowed to tag along with his step-sons for a match :)

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I genuinely loved enthusiastic Step-dad Kurt being allowed to tag along with his step-sons for a match :)

Did he actually wear that tiny cowboy hat or is that photoshopped

I was at that show and I honestly don't remember

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

He didn't wear a tiny cowboy hat at the show, sadly :unsmith:

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

e;f,b

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Never got a funko pop and never will

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I can't vote because I'm a felon.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Push El Burrito posted:

seriously?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Push El Burrito posted:

Legitimately sorry, it's one of the most bullshit things in this country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Oh this is old. I forgot that's got his name anymore