Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Dwesa posted:

All of this sounds really interesting, thanks for the info. Neverending blobbing of miraculously stable empires always bothered me in Paradox games.

Edit: Imperator: Rome: anti-imperialist game. lmao

Not so sure about this. I've several time lapses of Imperator and there are still miraculously stable empires. The Mauryas seem particularly bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Thinking ima get this game. I thought about getting EU4 for a long time, but I fell into the classic Paradox Trap. Which is to say I held off at release to let patches and expansions do their work, then forgot about it for a long time, then when I thought about it again the total DLC package was like $150 even on full sale lol. So I completely missed the magical 6.5 week period wherein Paradox games are both good quality and good value.

Plus I like the idea of EU4 but with characters. Watching EU4 seemed to be good strategy but dry, whereas CK2 was full of flavor but the combat was kind of dumb and not interesting. I'm hoping this will be a good blend of the two, and I really like the Roman era of history.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

Plus I like the idea of EU4 but with characters. Watching EU4 seemed to be good strategy but dry, whereas CK2 was full of flavor but the combat was kind of dumb and not interesting. I'm hoping this will be a good blend of the two, and I really like the Roman era of history.

The bones are there to have the best of both worlds, but it's going to take some DLC to build on that.

The most fun there is in EU4 is to play some little nobody country that's secretly a powerhouse when you unlock their potential. So I'm hoping that DLC also adds variation and fleshes out all the little tribes and nations that aren't Rome/Carthage/Greek.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Chomp8645 posted:

What the hell. Why???

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/status-and-future-of-paradox-multiplayer.1168127/

They're exploring having a beta branch for cross platform multiplayer similar to Stellaris but it won't be available on release. No word on how long it'd take either.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Is there anything like missions to guide you along in the game? I really liked eu4's system.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Ham posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/status-and-future-of-paradox-multiplayer.1168127/

They're exploring having a beta branch for cross platform multiplayer similar to Stellaris but it won't be available on release. No word on how long it'd take either.

I could see them doing a Ubisoft type thing where the game always starts a bespoke Paradox Launcher (tm) in the background regardless of which store you buy their games on.

Which I mean... look, I hate having fifteen different launchers, but at least you can usually buy Uplay poo poo on other stores without there being any weird exclusivity*

*At least, up until The Division 2 went Uplay/Epic exclusive

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Family Values posted:

The bones are there to have the best of both worlds, but it's going to take some DLC to build on that.

The most fun there is in EU4 is to play some little nobody country that's secretly a powerhouse when you unlock their potential. So I'm hoping that DLC also adds variation and fleshes out all the little tribes and nations that aren't Rome/Carthage/Greek.

I think Bosphoran Kingdom could potentially be really fun if you RP it a bit and make the entire objective of your game to just push Greek culture as far into the steppe as possible. No warring with the 'civilised' states to the south! (sea raids to steal pops to then subsequently send out to the Borderlands are acceptable)

TorakFade posted:

Is there anything like missions to guide you along in the game? I really liked eu4's system.

Some nations get events and decisions to focus what you're doing but not really. However, having claims is much less important in general (you just use them for a CB) and most countries have a very obvious major long term formable to aim for (reforming Alexander's empire and forming Persia being the two big ones, which between them cover most states on the map between Sicily and the Indus). Rome gets a ton of events giving free claims which are kind of like missions.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So when I asked about streams/let's plays, I never actually got a link.

Also the train broke down.

Links would be appreciated.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Randarkman posted:

So when I asked about streams/let's plays, I never actually got a link.

Also the train broke down.

Links would be appreciated.

Someone on reddit compiled a list of LPs and streams.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Imperator/comments/beisds/megathread_imperator_rome_postembargo_videos/

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Thanks. Also... Jesus Christ how can there be so many streamers/youtubers/LPers?

They've replaced the broken down locomotive with an old(?) diesel-powered one. Hooking it on in front of the broken one.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Randarkman posted:

Thanks. Also... Jesus Christ how can there be so many streamers/youtubers/LPers?

I think they pretty well understand that many people get into and learn how to play Paradox games through YTers demystifying them.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
But most of the youtubers have a peculiar but identical learning disability where they gently caress up and miss something because they can't read and then assume it's a bug or functioning mechanic and get mad about it while I scream at the screen. You're really better off just flailing at the keyboard and seeing what happens. Which is how I play all my games.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Most of them are really bad or annoying so good luck finding the ones you like

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The foundation for this game looks very solid with its myriad systems, so I'm totally on for it even at release. The main thing I'd want dlc wise is adding more CK2 in terms of your character and the flavor from that, since that's what always has me coming back to it.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I'm trash so that game and every DLC that ever comes for it is probably already bought, to resist is useless.

The map looks beautiful and it's a ripe time period, but the thing I heard that has me a bit excited is a Vic 2 inspired population system.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've been watching the Quill Kush videos which have been pretty good (if you don't hate Quill).

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

I'm trash so that game and every DLC that ever comes for it is probably already bought, to resist is useless.

The map looks beautiful and it's a ripe time period, but the thing I heard that has me a bit excited is a Vic 2 inspired population system.

Well dial that excitement down because it really doesn't. It's got an EU:R inspired population system. POPs here don't change or move or consume or really do anything on their own here except grow.

Really it's closer to a form of EU4's development that you can kill or steal.

Rodnik
Dec 20, 2003
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887386

Allow me to hawk our very own weekly game to be hosted every Saturday at 3pm EST. We will be playing nightly pickup games this week as well.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Hell yeah, imperator thread.

Lp chat: yeah I really wish streamers would take a page from that guy that did the Knossos/Crete 2 parter (actually has he done more yet?). They’re an excellent pace and have the attention in all the right places. He’s got some annoying mannerisms but overall the video was excellent. I’ve looked around at other streamers/youtubers and ugh so many of them just drag poo poo on forever, pause the game and ramble about irrelevant poo poo, or are just obnoxious as hell

Thankfully the game comes out this week and I won’t have to search for streams to satisfy my craving. I’ve been trying to play new games of EU4 and CK2 in my downtime and I’m just burned out. Extremely hype for imperator :yeah:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Any Vicky DNA you may see is almost purely superficial. The pop system is extremely basic and limited, the geopolitics are not nearly as deep, and there's no market system or any form of economy system beyond "provinces and trade routes give you money." The air should be cleared before anyone gets any further misconceptions. Do not get this game expecting anything Vicky-like at all.

It's not even as robust as Stellaris' population system, really.

I was honestly really confused when Johan got on stage and one of the first things he said about the game was "It has POPs!" Like... I guess? But it's been clear from the start that it won't be in the way any person who would appreciate that statement wants.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 23, 2019

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Pops! Maps! Beards!

- Paradox Marketing Presentation

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
It worked on me!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It's more than just dynamic development, I think allowing a finer level of granularity for religion/culture is pretty meaningful.

It also leaves it way more open to being expanded on in the future.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Randarkman posted:

There's also a lot of people viewing both Victoria 1 and 2 with very rose-tinted glasses, and that's speaking as someone who played and loved both of them. If I were to guess I'd imagine that many of these are people who never actually played them that much (I'm not saying you are one of them, don't really know, but if I were to guess I'd say you'd played them), but know them mostly through discussions, let's plays/AARs and possibly having played some ~20 hours of Victoria 2 when Heart of Darkness came out, in any case they mostly like what they've heard/seen but would much rather play a Victoria 3 than go back to Victoria 2.

I still play victoria 2 and it's real good. There are things that could be better of course, and that's why I want vicky 3

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

i must be the odd one out because i love the long unedited LPs and streamers.

looking at the list and the one guy i'd probably recommend is Conquering History Games, just from what i've seen of his kaiserreich stuff. but he definitely likes going into the history of people and countries as he plays, so if you hate that kind of thing you wouldn't like him.

honestly the things i'm trying to avoid from my youtubers/streamers are if they're super meme-y, super high energy (i make an exception for quill tho), or secretly being nazis

i don't mind if they're not great at the game.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Carthago Suprema Est!!

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I'm seeing a lot of my biggest mapgame streamer pet peeve, which is when they "apologize" for pronouncing things wrong but don't bother to try and learn the correct pronunciation, or sometimes even read the whole word. There's one guy playing Maurya who clearly put in some effort to get the Indian names right, which is cool, but there's so many more "Seculids" and "Ingvaeon— I'm not even gonna try to pronounce this one"

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Massadonia, Puhtolemy, Fergia.

Orv
May 4, 2011
My favorite one of those ever was "Kiss Alpine Gaal."

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths

Rodnik posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887386

Allow me to hawk our very own weekly game to be hosted every Saturday at 3pm EST. We will be playing nightly pickup games this week as well.
Can't wait to figuratively throw a pilum through a flies rear end in a top hat in order to conquer a single province, the perils of diplo among greedy godless goons... I can't WAIT!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Orv posted:

"Kiss Alpine" is actually fairly correct.

Orv
May 4, 2011
We have a soft c now and I expect it to be used. :colbert:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Orv posted:

Latin has no soft c, they were right.

e: Lost the pedantry race hard...

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 23, 2019

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Away, hail to Kaisar.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Actually I'm sure some ultra nerd has streamed a map game while speaking Latin so maybe it could be worse.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

To pass the time and get some more background info for the game launch later this week, I've been listening to this guy's History of Rome podcast; it's about 200 episodes, each 12-15 minutes, covering from the foundation to the fall. He starts a bit dry and kinda boring but after episode 3-4 he really gets into it and is actually an entertaining narrator. Game's period is covered from around episode 13 or so, haven't gone too far yet.

Highly recommend, podcast's also on Spotify.

Edit: has any other game ever got the endorsement of a country's official twitter? :aaa:

https://twitter.com/armenia/status/1120303285699842048

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 23, 2019

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Koramei posted:

It's more than just dynamic development, I think allowing a finer level of granularity for religion/culture is pretty meaningful.

It also leaves it way more open to being expanded on in the future.

It does, but does that even mean anything when you can radically transform the cultural/religious/socioeconomic makeup of a province in the space of a day?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Ms Adequate posted:

Carthago Suprema Est!!

*Carthago supremum est

Get your dead language grammar correct :colbert:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

Away, hail to Kaisar.

Gayus Yoolius Kaiser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Magissima posted:

I'm seeing a lot of my biggest mapgame streamer pet peeve, which is when they "apologize" for pronouncing things wrong but don't bother to try and learn the correct pronunciation, or sometimes even read the whole word. There's one guy playing Maurya who clearly put in some effort to get the Indian names right, which is cool, but there's so many more "Seculids" and "Ingvaeon— I'm not even gonna try to pronounce this one"

Or people who pronounce an English v in "Salve", how dare these people with no knowledge of Latin pronounce it wrong. Also not using "Salvete" when addressing your viewers (plural) tsk tsk.

(In general I 100% agree with you though. It's a history game, and people ostensibly like it because they have an affinity for history, maybe learn to pronounce proper nouns halfway correctly).

Drone fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Apr 23, 2019