Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Dwesa posted:

At least you can still play some other nation than Rome

Yeah lol Paradox but I'm still gonna play on release. The non-Rome factions are actually what interest me the most from this time period and I can't wait for Successor Horse Lords DLC that adds playable Alexander's Steed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah I was thinking I’d play Rome for my first play through, I always like to play a typical power as a first run through a paradox game (ottos/France/Spain in Europa, England in Victoria, Germany in HoI, etc), but I’ll probably hold off and play as like massalia or something

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I know it's a longshot but the game's timeline also takes place smack dab in the middle of China's Warring States period.

So... China DLC is what I'm saying.

Edit: I'm torn on a first playthrough between Carthage and Egypt.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

https://twitter.com/armenia/status/1120303285699842048

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

V for Vegas posted:

e: games not even out yet and it's already in the Paradox loop of waiting until the next cool feature is added before playing it.

Games > Imperator: Actually, Rome was patched in a day

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Drone posted:

I know it's a longshot but the game's timeline also takes place smack dab in the middle of China's Warring States period.

Edit: I'm torn on a first playthrough between Carthage and Egypt.

If they extended the map to china I would instantly buy this game

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013

Drone posted:

China DLC has to be marked by periodic mass famine that splinters the populace every 20 years.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Super hyped for this game. Loved EU4, which supplanted Morrowind as "GOTY all years". I also loved old mods for Rome: Total War like Europa Barbarorum and Rome Total Realism, but I always preferred the strategic level over the tactical level, and lamented the lack of depth and the schizoid AI that would continuously zerg rush you and never leave you at peace, even when beaten (something something TOTAL WAR). So, this seems like the game I've been waiting for for years...

I've said for years, "don't pre-order games, you idiots, you're part of the problem" and I broke that by pre-ordering Battlefield 5... deluxe... which was Not Good.

I've pre-ordered Imperator deluxe and I regret nothing (except BF5 :v:).

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

canepazzo posted:

To pass the time and get some more background info for the game launch later this week, I've been listening to this guy's History of Rome podcast; it's about 200 episodes, each 12-15 minutes, covering from the foundation to the fall. He starts a bit dry and kinda boring but after episode 3-4 he really gets into it and is actually an entertaining narrator. Game's period is covered from around episode 13 or so, haven't gone too far yet.

Highly recommend, podcast's also on Spotify.

Edit: has any other game ever got the endorsement of a country's official twitter? :aaa:

https://twitter.com/armenia/status/1120303285699842048

The History Of Rome is one of the foundational works of the history podcasting genre. It's definitely worth a listen.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I posted in the main pdx thread about not being hype for the game and finding the era pretty boring (I much prefer the late empire, bring on the Huns baby) but that was before I really saw how they were doing the internal political stuff.

I think im gonna keep my eye on this game and will definitely be checking out reviews and everyone's impressions.

I still think the aesthetic for the ui is atrocious though. All that marble makes look like something out of civ 3.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

AnEdgelord posted:

I still think the aesthetic for the ui is atrocious though. All that marble makes look like something out of civ 3.

The marble thing is popular in games about Rome - Rome:Total War 1, Caesar 3.
But Imperator's UI is pretty bad - everything is just too flat and homogeneous in color, I think they should have put some thicker borders or a gradient on buttons to make them stand out more if they don't use completely different color than the background.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 23, 2019

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

idhrendur posted:

The History Of Rome is one of the foundational works of the history podcasting genre. It's definitely worth a listen.

To me the only two historical podcasts that surpass it are History of Byzantium (though it took a while to get there) and Revolutions which is by the History of Rome guy.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Ave, true to the res publica.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

If we're recommending history podcasts, I know some people find his delivery style off-putting but Dan Carlin's Hardcore History just finished a series on the Achaemenid Empire, which is the period immediately before the game start and highly relevant to the Greek successor states. Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Y’all got some weird FOMO issues if you are now refusing to play rome (the state) until some dlc comes out for it.

Just play it if you were wanting to , have fun, and play it again when that dlc drops in 3-6 months instead of chasing the ~optimal~ experience. It’s a video game chill out

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Senor Dog posted:

Y’all got some weird FOMO issues if you are now refusing to play rome (the state) until some dlc comes out for it.

Just play it if you were wanting to , have fun, and play it again when that dlc drops in 3-6 months instead of chasing the ~optimal~ experience. It’s a video game chill out

Playing the same country twice is boring, and there's other interesting countries to play in the meantime.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Those countries will also get dlc tho. Best be safe and not play anything

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I am going to play as Rome on day one. Who cares, I will probably botch something fiercely anyway and quit that first game early.

And I disagree that playing the same country twice is boring. It wasn't in eu4, it wasn't in ck2, and I really can't see a reason why Rome would be different - I doubt that the game is so "samey" that two runs as Rome will end up feeling like the same experience... unless you strive to achieve exactly that

I think that might be the expert mindset, because yeah, after 1100 hours in eu4 I would not replay a certain nation I already played (unless it got expanded on with a dlc or patch), because having the game down to a tight sequence of pre-established actions and knowing it intimately can do that.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I'm going to play Rome first because I'm boring and also because I have a fetish for marble and being used to baselessly justify European exceptionalism.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
As a person of Italian descent, I must play as Rome in order to honor the last my people were any good at anything.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Senor Dog posted:

Those countries will also get dlc tho. Best be safe and not play anything

I mean who plays video games really anyway? Scoff.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Chomp8645 posted:

As a person of Italian descent, I must play as Rome in order to honor the last my people were any good at anything.

Hey :mad: I am Italian, and we are still pretty good at...

Uh... Making pizza? Corruption? Both old traditions from the Roman times :italy:

Actually, I look forward to taking a minor Italian power and taking over Rome, see if it can be done better. Probably not on the second game though :v:

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

What do you guys reckon will the Byzantium of I:R? Both in difficulty and popularity. One of Athens or Sparta maybe?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Byzantion :v:

Absum
May 28, 2013

Heraclea Pontica imo

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Zhangzhung.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Well dial that excitement down because it really doesn't. It's got an EU:R inspired population system. POPs here don't change or move or consume or really do anything on their own here except grow.

Really it's closer to a form of EU4's development that you can kill or steal.

Well much like the awesome new house I'm renting that as of three days of signing the lease has water damage of an uncertain scope but is still nice, I'm disappointed but still content.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
It's definitely Sparta, though they're way easier to play than Byzantium.

Absum posted:

Heraclea Pontica imo

The correct answer but Byzantium fetishists are too lovely to appreciate the superior empires of the East tbh.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

canepazzo posted:

What do you guys reckon will the Byzantium of I:R? Both in difficulty and popularity. One of Athens or Sparta maybe?

There's supposed to be a playable Achaemid out there somewhere. Also a remnant of the Minoan civilization on Crete.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Vichan posted:

There's supposed to be a playable Achaemid out there somewhere. Also a remnant of the Minoan civilization on Crete.

That'd be Heraclea Pontica that other people spoke of. Although that's just the first member, Amastris. I don't think her kids who strangled her necessarily counted, although one at least was given a Persian name. The dynasty of Pontus also claimed some descent, but it's possible(probable) they were full of poo poo.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

there are a bunch of really interesting (ionian?) greek and phoenician colonies thrown around the mediterranean which seem like a lot more fun than rome.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

United Hellas and standing up to Rome and the Macedonians sounds like a fun run. Dunno who to play for such a run though. If Lesbos was independent I'd totally play it for obvious reasons. :v:

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I'm excited for this game, but watching the Macedon playthrough I noticed something that seems concerning to me. It appears that none of the prominent families he has are marrying or having children without him explicitly stepping in and making them do so. Do you have to manage that stuff for every drat family or did I miss something and he was looking at his dynasty only (although needing to manage that stuff for heirs and pretenders without having it ask you to kinda bugs me too)?

Getting 80 years in them having it basically go "all nobility is dead, you lose." is something I can see happen to me and that level of micromanagement is daunting.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
It did seem like several streamers had the same issue of "everyone got really old, help" but that might be a character generation issue rather than a people not getting married problem.

For example maybe the characters that populate the game at the start tend to have better stats than ones which are rolled later.

But yeah you might need to force members of your ruler's dynasty (especially your heir) to get married or they'll sit around being useless.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Very important information for this thread:

https://twitter.com/TerribleMaps/status/1058712571191193600

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Eimi posted:

United Hellas and standing up to Rome and the Macedonians sounds like a fun run. Dunno who to play for such a run though. If Lesbos was independent I'd totally play it for obvious reasons. :v:

Macedon is Hellas! *lights barrel of trash on fire and riots in the street*

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Senor Dog posted:

The co-consulship feature is going to be a free feature in the first major patch, which will presumably be releasing much sooner than 3-6 months. I was actually going to start off with Rome since it seems like a nice and relaxing way to ease yourself into the game, but I don't mind waiting a few weeks if that's how long it'll take.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Vichan posted:

Also a remnant of the Minoan civilization on Crete.
What? How? That's like living fossil. Is that based on history?

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

canepazzo posted:

babylon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Really disappointed there isn't a single dot somewhere representing some ancient dirigible experiment.