Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Is there anything like missions to guide you along in the game? I really liked eu4's system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

And this is where being Italian is actually an advantage, rather than a thing you get teased and mocked about. I can pronounce the vast majority of those names correctly because I am a descendant of Rome itself :agesilaus:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Dwesa posted:

Like Caesar being turned into Cesare?

Whenever I hear how you guys pronounce Caesar, I automatically think

No but seriously, it's actually baffling to me and I think many French/Spanish speaking people (maybe a little less so since Italian is remarkably similar to actual old times Latin, more than other romance languages for pretty obvious reasons) - those who speak languages derived from Germanic - so English, Scandinavians, Germans... - really seem to not be able to get most of the sounds right.

Just as I can't pronounce any city name containing -brough to save my life, now that I think of it. I tried saying Middlesbrough to a native speaker once many years ago, and I think he's still laughing to this day

well I am hella bored, and I want to watch someone play Imperator; I already watched the first 4 official LPs (the ones limited to 120mins playtime), currently going through Mordred Viking's Langobardia migratory tribe but I find it a little dry... what else is highly recommended? By now I don't need more explanations of basic mechanics, I just want a funny and cool, well edited let's play.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I am going to play as Rome on day one. Who cares, I will probably botch something fiercely anyway and quit that first game early.

And I disagree that playing the same country twice is boring. It wasn't in eu4, it wasn't in ck2, and I really can't see a reason why Rome would be different - I doubt that the game is so "samey" that two runs as Rome will end up feeling like the same experience... unless you strive to achieve exactly that

I think that might be the expert mindset, because yeah, after 1100 hours in eu4 I would not replay a certain nation I already played (unless it got expanded on with a dlc or patch), because having the game down to a tight sequence of pre-established actions and knowing it intimately can do that.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Chomp8645 posted:

As a person of Italian descent, I must play as Rome in order to honor the last my people were any good at anything.

Hey :mad: I am Italian, and we are still pretty good at...

Uh... Making pizza? Corruption? Both old traditions from the Roman times :italy:

Actually, I look forward to taking a minor Italian power and taking over Rome, see if it can be done better. Probably not on the second game though :v:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

If anyone's still on the fence, you can prepurchase on GMG for 25% off using SPQR25 code at checkout.

That makes the game 29.99$. I already preordered it for 35$ during the lunar year Steam sale, I'm kinda tempted to be a full-on cheapskate and refund it to save those extra 5$ ... it could buy me a flavor DLC or something :v:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

fuf posted:

Does GMG activate on Steam or what?

You get a Steam key on release day. Only "issue" is that GMG is said to have a much stricter refund policy than Steam, it would look like that once they send you the key (and/or you activate it?) you can't apply for a refund anymore.

So if you're REALLY on the fence about the game as a whole, it could still be better to get it on Steam, try it out (play it less than 2 hours) and if you're not convinced get a refund.

If you know you'll enjoy it, it would appear GMG is the way to go, 30$ on day 1 (actually, -1) for a game that lasts hundreds of hours is a good deal imo.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Temaukel posted:

I'm not playing until someones releases a mod making all those white marble statues and friezes as colorful and tacky as possible. Those romans sure liked their colors, specially red. Also the UI windows need penis graffiti. I'm only half joking.

making this, you meant? In that case I agree.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Eimi posted:

If I bought it from GMG already is there anyway to apply that code to my purchase?

If you bought it recently (conditions apply blah blah), you might try asking for a refund and rebuying? Steam explicitly allows it, it's not considered abuse, but GMG's policy is different. I decided to be lazy and keep my steam pre-purchase.

E: scratch that, "We are unable to process refunds 48 hours before a game is due to be released or preload begins" :(

I've been watching the "tutorial" stream and if you can continue the game after the tutorial, it's a pretty nice boost: you start out with 5000 gold and 40k manpower plus 700 of each power, and each objective you complete rewards you with non trivial amounts of power and stuff including until-end-of-game modifiers :v: (no idea if it will be the same in the final version)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 24, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I have a day off today (national holiday) and let me tell you, being home with nothing to do, waiting for the game to release at the end of the workday sucks :mad:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

To all people complaining about "there's not much to do except paint the map", what were you expecting?

I mean, that's literally all EU4 is all about even today. I do, until now, have a harder time managing my country in Imperator than in EU4 so there's arguably more to do at peace in launch Imperator (managing the senate, families and characters is not terribly difficult, but it's quite involved) than in end-of-life EU (which besides estates, that you might or might not interact with, has really nothing much about internal management despite a shitton of DLC)

Of course I agree that the whole thing feels flavorless and could have benefited from a few more months in the oven, and I'm sure it will end up feeling "samey" when I played a few games, but since this is not a quick game, when I get there it will be probably time for a big patch/DLC that will sort some things out :)

- I like not having an army limit, I always thought that if I'm richer than Croesus I should be able to field all the men I want.
- I like having multiple unit types and stances, makes combat a bit more like CK2 than EU4 and I prefer that
- I like the loyalty mechanic for generals and their cohorts, effectively encourages you to have multiple stacks even when you're still relatively small, vs EU4 where I have 1 giant doomstack for most of the game until I get so huge I need multiples
- I like that there always seems to be something to do with your powers, but you don't really feel starved for them (as it often happens in EU4) - generally power costs are small enough that you won't be out of any button to click for more than a couple of months, with of course the big exception of military traditions
- I LOVE scrolling the map with WASD

- I don't really like the fact that there are no missions of any kind, the tutorial objectives show that they have the framework to do missions in position but probably those didn't make it in time for release
- I don't really care for the fact that families have to be appeased, sometimes things seem to spiral out of control (after the tutorial I had a family which had like 6 adult males, all around 18-20 years old, and they all wanted positions... drat you, I already have every spot filled, and until a TON of people die you'll have to wait)
- I don't like the fact that there don't seem to be that many events (but it's still very early on, I have like 6 hours clocked in) and that some powers are clearly better than others because they have more ways to be usefully spent
- I don't like that there don't seem to be many events or different ways to spend power (I can think of 2-3 uses for each kind, which is pretty low compared to EU - but again that's an end-of-life game full of DLC, while Imperator literally launched yesterday), in the long run that will be boring, but I assume that's the easiest part to "fix"

- the UI is neutral - some things are great, but the lack of a ledger is a HUGE oversight (can't believe it is a voluntary choice seeing how close Imperator's DNA is to EU4's), things are hidden/obfuscated sometimes, it is messy and overall there's plenty of room for improvement

basically, for someone like me who was waiting for the lovechild of EU4 and CK2, this is already a great game and will only become better, so buy buy buy

for someone who expected a game that was radically different from the other Paradox games, eeeeh, it's more a "get it on sale" or "get it after a few DLC/patches"

for someone who expected a fully fleshed out and polished game on release, why are you even here? I said earlier in the Paradox general thread that Paradox games are always barebones at launch, and people were telling me it's not true, HOI4 was great, etc... but now I can see I was definitely right :D this does have the Stellaris vibe , but having real countries and places and history behind it it's much more focused of course

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 26, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

TjyvTompa posted:

Thank you, I will find this "senate hand" and click on it and supposedly I will immediately understand how it works.

There is a whole "Government" tab (I think it's the second round button on top, under the laurel, scroll, sun powers etc) which will show you the senate, composition, party leaders... everything

when you go to the diplomacy screen and there is the "declare war" button, next to it (and also next to most other actions) there is a hand which represent the opinion of the senate: it will either be thumbs up (the majority of the senate approves: ok to declare war/do the action!), thumbs down (majority of senate disapproves: you can't declare war/do the action!) or "undecided" hand (senate is divided: you can declare war/do the action but you'll get 5 tyranny!)

It's pretty similar to the CK2 council mechanic - true, the tutorial didn't explain it at all and it sucks, but if you have some previous CK2/EU4 experience the game isn't THAT obscure ;)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Apr 26, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

TjyvTompa posted:

Thank you (and everyone else of course)!

I am very experienced with CK2 which is why I was so confused that there wasn't an easy way of seeing this council. The icon beside the DoW button is also very "anonymous" it is much easier to see in CK2 because the icon changes color and appearance (a red cross, a green checkmark et.c.).
The everything-is-marble UI of this game just makes everything float together, very hard to spot buttons or clickable icons.

Yeah they REALLY have to unfuck the UI, I've played CK2 and EU4 for a combined total of 1300 hours so I have a pretty high tolerance for messy UIs, especially Paradox ones ... and I'm still having trouble with Imperator :D

Luckily it shouldn't be too hard to improve it, and since everybody is complaining about it, they will hopefully fix the situation sooner rather than later :v:

Communist Bear posted:

Am I right in thinking that there is basically only 3 options in the making friends part? And one of them causes 5 tyranny.

Trying to influence the Senate as Rome seems a bit...broke. Making friends with lesders is difficult, costly and might not work (for seemingly arbitrary reasons). The only other option then to increase Senate support then is to raise your popularity, but out with of the occasional event, the only way to do this is to have games, which can only be performed once?

After that the only option left is bribery, which again is arbitrary in gaining support?

Just seems really difficult to get the Senate on your side.

Yes I fully agree, but I also think it's how it's meant to be - just like your council in CK2, you have to struggle to keep them happy and sometimes, no matter what you do, it will just be impossible and you'll have to find a way around it (be it waiting, getting tyranny, trying to make friends, killing or imprisoning the right people, etc etc)

Better than "oh I'll just click a button, make friends with the guy who's opposing me and it's done", imo

(btw I was trying to get Sipontum to like me in the tutorial, but I had too much AE to do that easily with gifts and improve relations, so I tried to make friends with their leader and gifted him a very expensive tiger. He did not want to be my friend anyways so I conquered his land and pretended to have the tiger eat him. That'll teach him to spurn me :mad: )

steinrokkan posted:

A formula that was interesting ten games ago can be just insulting today, eu4 was also bad and extremely stale / underwhelming, and from everything ive seen this holds no promise to be any more innovative than eu4.

Sorry you feel that way? I love EU4 and only now, after 4 years or so of playing it more than any other game I own, am getting tired of it... but I surely don't feel insulted by it or by Imperator :shrug: I'd save that consideration for Civilization 6 where the AI is so bad that only by giving them huge amounts of bonuses it has any chance against humans (and even then...). In 2019, on the 6th game in the series.

TTBF posted:

Wait, HoI4 is on the upper end of the spectrum? I definitely remember launch CK2 and EU4 feeling like complete games, which is not an experience I had with HoI4 or Stellaris.

Well not sure about HOI4, was just parroting what I heard because I've never played it. But I did play Stellaris at launch and it was noticeably less complete than Imperator in my opinion. I got EU4 when it already had a bunch of DLC and fixes so I'm not commenting on that either :v:

MinistryofLard posted:

Game is unstable as hell - keeps freezing or crashing at random times. I've got a repeatable crash every time I select the scorned families notification too.

My computer is well above minimum specs too and I still get horrible stutter, I don't know if they're related.

Es: we're talking five or six crashes or freezes in the last two hours Ive been trying to play, it's just not playable in this state and that's disappointing.

drat that sucks :( I had 0 crashes, the only technical issue I have is a lot of stuttering when scrolling the map, and days sometimes "hanging" for a second especially at higher speeds (another microstutter I guess?), but this kind of technical issue is usually quickly patched

ilitarist posted:

I dunno, it feels pretty fleshed out to me.

I've played as Etruria and Bosporan Kingdom (it's in Crimea) and both certainly didn't feel like a boring vanilla factions, both had as interesting situation and configuration as any non-major nation in EU4. And my Etruria was completely destroyed by Rome on my both tries even though game went into a different directions to that destination of destroying me. It feels like a real game right here right now, while both Stellaris and HoI4 were barely games last I've checked. Both of them want you to click things suggested by alerts and it's enough to take you to a victory screen. You can also read some nice event descriptions along the way. Imperator requires me to think about enemy army composition and not wanting to annex some of their more problematic land and in my book, it brings it ahead of every other Paradox game at least in some respects.

Good to hear! Those were my first thoughts and impressions, just 6 hours in and it's difficult to get a complete idea of such a big game. For now I'm having a ton of fun too, it MIGHT get repetitive but it'll take a long while for me.

But what do we know... apparently Steam reviews are mixed/bad, lots of people having technical problems or just hating the game because ... uhhh, there will be DLC so Paradox are money-grubbers and right now it's not as fleshed out as games that have been out for 5-6 years?

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Apr 26, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

God, I'm reading steam reviews and it's just terrible, terrible.

People with a sense of entitlement bigger than Hannibal's war elephants

People already whining about DLC (see above - people feel they're entitled to games that have all previous mechanics AND THEN SOME right at launch, but only in Paradox games - it's fully OK to get expansions for Xcom 2 or Civ6 or whatever that just add back what was in the previous games...)

People who get a crash within the first hour of playing the game at release rating it negatively because "how does that happen in 2019" :jerkbag:

People that flaunt having thousands of hours in EU4 and CK2 and yet finding it hard and unintuitive to play the game - I question how this kind of people even made it through 10 hours of EU4 or CK2, let alone 1000 (I do recognize the flaws in the game and the UI, there's plenty, but if you're a veteran of Paradox games I can not believe that this feels completely alien...)

Most reviews have barely 2-3 hours played - It took me 5 to finish the tutorial, so even admitting that I'm a slow player - twice as slow as them, those guys can have finished the tutorial and little more.

In short, :downswords:

(btw yeah, I am a Paradox fanboy. I love grand strategy, I love how they handle post-release with DLC and patches for years, I like their communication and their vision. That said, dear paradox people reading this, I'll be waiting for my free games and merchandise :v: )

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

:siren: Patch 1.0.1 fixing the most egregious bugs and crashes coming out "early next week", and a more substantial 1.1 patch aimed for release in June :siren:

Paradox posted:

This 1.1 patch is nicknamed ‘Pompey’ internally. We will go into more detail with upcoming development diaries before it’s released. Pompey will cover the following topics:

Balancing of Technology Progress, Mercenaries, Shattered Retreat, Truce Breaking, Assassinations, Governors, War Exhaustion, and Legitimacy.
Improving the mechanics for Population Growth, Stability, and Barbarians.
Tweaks to Civil War mechanics, with new power-base mechanics.
Naval rework, with Naval Combat mechanics and multiple ship types, as well as navigable major rivers.
Deeper Holding mechanics for characters, where you can give characters holdings and they can purchase new ones as they grow in wealth.
More character interactions.
New Piracy mechanics.
Redesigning of functionality where instead of spending power for an instant result, you now spend power to nudge it towards that result over time.
Better abilities to play tall, including centralising trade, impacting specific cities, etc.
Tribes being able to decide what units their retinues should have.
Dual Ruler mechanics for Roman Republic, and Consorts for Monarchies.
Government Abilities for all government categories.
‘Quality of Life’ features like viewing all characters in a foreign country, new alerts, road building being a continuous action, and more.
Adding of features from previous PDS games like moving capitals and regnal numbers on monarchs
Much more modding support.

That just solidifies further that they kinda rushed this out of the gate. It was a surprise when they announced it coming so soon, but maybe, just maybe they could've waited a few more months to polish the new mechanics and properly integrate the stuff from the previous games at least :D (and yeah, I know that this mindset leads to never completing a game, but going gold with oversights such as "you can't change your capital" or "there is only 1 type of boat" is perplexing)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 26, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

AnoHito posted:

One of the big problems in software development is trying to figure out when to cut off the release and push everything else to the next one. There's always gonna be a few more months of polishing that can be done. These days, "release early and update with patches frequently" has sort of become the norm.

Yep of course, I edited *almost* that in my previous post :D though, really, this time it feels they rushed.

Not having a "change your capital" button in a game that is 70% EU4 and 20% CK2 - which both have it - is truly baffling, as is having only one type of boat and adding more on the very first patch... if the design and vision about naval stuff had multiple types of boats, it had to be in at release. If it didn't, isn't that too big of a change to make so shortly after launch?

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 26, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I'm playing as Rome, and about 30-35 years after the start I managed to annex all of central and southern italy except the very tip of the boot (still in Syracusan hands, but they're currently in a hellwar with Carthage so they'll be easy pickings shortly, if they even survive) and a decent chunk of the north.

It was quite explosive so now I must chill out to recover manpower and lose AE, and I have a ton of slaves and new cities full of tribesmen ... what should I do with them? Is it worth it to blanket convert/assimilate/promote them? What ratio of citizens to freemen to slaves should I go for? (it would seem tribesmen are not really worth keeping around as a republic, unless they serve some purpose in keeping unrest down in newly captured land?)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

RabidWeasel posted:

You should always convert all your pops to same culture same religion non-tribals because they're both less likely to cause revolts and more productive; unless you're only dealing with a few stragglers in one province you probably want to do this through the governor policy function rather than doing promotions and conversions directly.

Thanks, figured as much. I still haven't properly checked out the mapmodes so I really have no idea how's the situation in the newly conquered lands :v: so use policy to culture convert, and power to promote pops, got it. If I even have wrong religion pops I'll just insta convert them because I have religious power piled sky high, stability seem to never come down on its own and I've been at 3 since forever.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

aardvaard posted:

it feels like the UI was designed for larger monitors

on 1920x1080 the diplomacy window fills most of the screen

I am on 2560x1440 and yeah, it sort of feels cramped, more than eu4 at 1920x1080

So it's the first game to make me think about moving to 4k :v:

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

That's good news, especially since the Selecuids have about three forts at the start to cover their entire empire.

I find myself deleting non-border forts as I go anyway, just like eu4, because they are a HUGE drain on your economy... I am sure this will come back to bite me in the rear end, but if I have to choose between having a full fort coverage on provinces that are peaceful and assimilated and actually raising armies to conquer more land, well... :hist101:

Mr. Fowl posted:

This is a bizarre step backwards. In EU4, if one party in a war had military access, they all did in order to prevent this kind of scenario.

This time around I don't really care, killing armies might get your enemy manpower problems if you want to weaken them longer term, but you can still get a full victory and 100 warscore without having to fully annihilate the enemy... which I actually like a lot compared to eu4 and ck2 where every war is to the bitter end

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Apr 27, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

We really need a ledger. Or some sort of central management tool where I can check my provinces (goods, pops, cultures, religions, policies) and even regions. If they don't want to give us war information on enemies fine, but please, PLEASE let us see internal info for the whole country in an easy, complete and sortable way. I can't bear hovering over every single city, province or region to see data and being unable to compare it with the province next door

(Or is there something like that already and I totally missed it?)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Apr 27, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Pro tip: when Rome, even if you are just limited to the Italian peninsula, build triremes. Fleet maintenance isn't a big issue, and walking from Genoa to Sicily takes FOREVER. Using boats to ferry your troops from North to South is so much quicker I prefer to eat the attrition rather than wait for them to walk over

E:

cheesetriangles posted:

The UI needs a big pass overall. When I am hiring someone for any job it should have a marker saying this person is from a scorned family.

This. It took me 60 years to finally get the number of scorned families down to two :v:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 27, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I'm loving it :)

It is a bit too easy right now, I mean the blobbing part if you start as a big fish. Internal management is cool, lacking a bit of meat on the bones but there is plenty to do in Rome at least, between families, research, Senate, laws and events. Managing tyranny is cool, AE is... weird. Not sure what to think about it yet, mainly because I never went over 50 so have no idea what the badboy penalty really is.

The biggest problem is, when you're a major power, the attention tax to minmax your stuff is a bit excessive... Converting/assimilating hundreds of pops without a batch command or other tools gets tiresome and the province policies get reassigned randomly by new governors so you have to go around and reset it to what you want Everytime you assign a new one, which sucks

Diplomacy seems to work quite well, big alliance/guarantee/defensive networks often make you change your mind about the next target, though I miss more ways to make friends - everybody seems to hate me forever, ok I am blobbing like a madman but you would think at least someone would go looking for Rome's protection, but they usually rely on other lovely tribes and get inevitably conquered by me or other big guys

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

RabidWeasel posted:

Semi related issue: turns out some ultra grognards in the beta group convinced Paradox that people wanted to micromanage marriages for the entire royal family so if you don't manually marry up all your kids and grandkids your family consists entirely of old people.

Also only the primary heir and second son of each family is allowed to have kids, if they both only have daughters then the family dies out eventually! Understandable for performance reasons but makes sense why families seem to keep getting smaller.

:stare: oook... Well this just means the game will be SO MUCH BETTER after a few rounds of patches and more suggestions/discussion from "normal" people that will drown the grognards out (haha yeah right :v: )

I am nearing completion of my first game as Rome, I ploughed through everything and if I'm not as good as real-life Rome, it's close enough with still about 80 years to go. Right now my army is way too small (250 cohorts vs. 500-600 for the other major/great powers), simply because I can't be arsed to make more armies, assign generals, manage supply limits etc.. but it's no big deal since everyone around me is scared to hell of me (and with good reason), I have already crushed all the nearby major powers so all that's left is Egypt and the Seleucids with a few buffer states inbetween us, basically slowly nibbling at smaller targets on all fronts and waiting to pounce on bigger ones when a good opportunity arises

also I am stacking big amounts of Oratory and Religious power, I just can't be bothered clicking "assimilate" and "convert" a million times. I'm always short on Civic power though, there's a huge quantity of inventions and trade routes are nice, plus moving pops becomes mandatory once you start racking up hundreds of slaves in your capital

oh and the huuuuge pile of money is, again, because I can't be arsed to click click click my way to a thousand buildings

that's ... a lot of people

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 28, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Moridin920 posted:

Lotta families to manage. Is there any reason I shouldn't be trying to trim these down to like 3-5 families?

You'll need people to do stuff, if and when you blob. Governors for provinces, generals for armies, researchers, council positions etc... I had to welcome families from defeated enemies a couple times, when a bunch of my own families had a generation of producing only females and the old geezers started dying off when their grandkids were still too young to be in office :v:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Taear posted:

It's sort of there, in that a white peace will suddenly be declared sometimes. That's how I finally ended my enormous war against a Regional Power that I couldn't actually reach, it just kinda happened.

Yes, there's a modifier for time elapsed (can't recall the exact wording but it's there), I white peaced an opponent who I got stuck in a war with for no apparent reason after a bunch of years since they couldn't reach me and viceversa

also you can't separate peace out an ally of your war target before some years have passed, I think it's 3 years

also if you're on the offensive and occupy (or on the defensive and keep unoccupied) the wargoal and it's not contested, meaning you keep control of all cities, after a set amount of time (again I think it's 3 years) you can just white-peace out (keeping it if you were attacking, or just white peace if you were defending)

honestly, I think the peace system is a bit better than EU4, with a chance to become a lot better with a few extra options and CBs :)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Taear posted:

I had the land (and it wasn't contested) for 12 years and the war only ended when I finally allowed them to take it back. Then when they did, it just instantly stopped.

The war was led by a regional power who had guaranteed the other guys, but they didn't actually take part at all. Which meant even taking 70% of one country and 100% of the other wasn't enough to get more than like...8 warscore. Maybe even less than 8. Extremely frustrating and something they had issues with in Stellaris too.

I think that perhaps you get too many troops back though, I can lose my whole army and be back at 50k really quickly. Now partly that's the tribes hiring new guys (ugh stop it) but it's still a bit mad.

I have noticed some wonkiness with wars ending when revolts get re-absorbed or other stuff too, as said I once found myself in a war with a Revolt Somethingorother for no apparent reason, I wasn't even at war with their parent country or anything :confused:

There's work to be done here, but the system looks to be more modular and satisfying to use than EU4's (which is already one of the best peace mechanics in any strategy game, in my opinion - CK2 and basically everything else I played tends to be a much more binary affair, "you win and take your prize and only that, or lose and get to pay a fix amount")

Also, wishlist #1 priority: an army template manager like EU4 has. Sadly a "conform to template" for existing armies would probably not work with the cohort loyalty mechanic, since loyal cohorts won't split from their general, but just only having a "make new army with X of unit 1, Y of unit 2, Z of unit 3" would go a long way; with all the different troop types and different compositions you can make, tactics, etc it's a real pity that you have to painstakingly craft armies by either macrobuilding every single unit, or building one and then clicking a bunch of times in the recruit to army screen - repeat for every army you want to make, which at some points will be 5 or more at the same time. And being unable to rearrange armies with loyal cohorts, while a perfectly legitimate and fun gameplay mechanic, means experimenting with compositions risky and annoying...

Sheep posted:

New page pro tip: you can change how your army fights by hitting the 'Shock Action' button when an army is selected.

Right up there with 'turn off trade capital surplus on the trade screen' with things that should have been in the tutorial.

I unlocked the Triple Aciex special tactics, built armies that conformed to that, set it on every army and called it a day (if you hover over your military traditions, it will also suggest you which troops benefit from them the most! It's cool). It's a good tactic and it's bothersome to change tactics often, when you have 20 stacks running around

Zotix posted:

Trade good question: When you stack more than one, and it says the capital gives a bonus to the nation, does the item itself need to come from the Capital City? Or is it from any trade good produced in the capital's province?

It has to be in surplus (so, 2 copies or more) in the capital province. The surplus can come from the capital city itself, from any other city in the capital province, or from an import trade route! Even if you don't have a good in your capital province, just import 2 copies of it and you'll get the surplus bonus to all your nation :) that's why the +capital import routes / +all provinces import routes are almost mandatory to get ASAP

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 29, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Taear posted:

And seriously do you guys just not play tribes? You never get to build any of your own troops when you are a tribe!

The game has been out 5 days and I've already played 36 hours of it :v: that's second job levels of commitment, and I still haven't completed my first game, guess I'm a slow player :v: (I do plan to do a tribe next, probably going for some achievement)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I just saw a Steam review saying literally "Really? 300 years only? WTF i've reach the end of the game in less than 35 hours of play..."

People are loving mad.

Does anyone else find some of the colors on the map too close to each other? As Rome I was having 3 or 4 small neighbors all about the same shade of red as me, and I didn't even go to war for years with some of them because I thought it was already my land :v:

Taear posted:

I'm just saying that all that army building stuff isn't going to be relevant for a LOT of places in the world at the start.

OK but hopefully since they DO have it in EU4 it won't be too hard to adapt it to Imperator, too? Tribes won't need it perhaps, but for the other government types it would be a godsend :)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Sydin posted:

jfc gently caress the senate. I've got a billion troops and CB's on a million little states around me I could easily gobble up, but whoops the counsel doesn't have 80 popularity lol you're hard capped at like 58 votes so I hope you like tyranny!

make friends with some faction leaders and you'll get more votes. It's expensive (either in money, points, popularity, or other currencies and maluses) but very effective! Or, instead of pushing through and getting 5 tyranny per action, just endorse your own faction (or the military, they usually love going to war) once or twice; 5-10 tyranny isn't that much, and you might get the 60+ votes you need for all the declarations of war you can handle :)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 29, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Wait is that literally Germanic tribe Iosif Stalin? :ussr:

mmkay posted:

That's what I thought too, but then I just let them starve out. You get so many slaves in your capital anyway that you can replace any dying ones through war easily.

Edit: great first post of the page.

Fact is, the ones dying of starvation seem to always be freemen or citizens, not slaves. And gently caress me if I am going to have those die and then promote, assimilate, convert literal dozens of slaves at 3 clicks each to replace them

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Eimi posted:

Is there a policy that converts slaves? I know there's one for tribesmen.

There's the social mobility province policy, which randomly promotes/demotes one of your pops, targeting an even split of citizens/freemen/slaves; it sucks, because I do want more citizens than freemen and more freemen than slaves, generally...

This is the weakest part of the game IMO, interacting with pops is clunky, slow and frustrating without a ledger, batch tools, region-wide or province-wide (e.g. religious conversion: with the macro builder you have to select which type of pop to convert. So say you have 5 citizens, 3 freemen, 2 tribesman and 4 slaves? You want to convert them all? Macro builder, convert pop, select citizen, click 5 times on the city, select freemen, click 3 times on the city and so on ... that's a lot of clicks)

when I should just be able to see or select various options both at pop type level, and city/province level, like "convert 1 citizen for each city in the province, cost 300", "convert all pops in city, cost 500", "convert all freemen in province, cost 1000" and so on

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Nice!

quote:

stability is now 0-100, and decays towards 50 over time. Of course all events and mechanics changing stability have been adapted to the new range.

Stabbing a pig costs 100 power, and gives +0.5 stability a month & increased pig-stabbing costs by 50% for 5 years, and this is stackable, so the more pig-stabbing you do, the faster it will increase in that timeframe.

Threshold for starting wars is a minimum of 10 stability, and you need 10 stability to appoint people to government.

This will be cool and I really want to see where they want to go with it. Stability always felt a bit odd against all other systems in their games. Population Growth news are also cool. No news about a ledger, fixing the UI or making interaction with the moving parts of the game easier and friendlier, is not cool :(

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Wait, so the finesse rating currently does nothing? Then what determines how quickly pops are converted/promoted/assimilated by provincial policies?

:paradox:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Taear posted:

It's pretty frustrating that someone else can become war leader and bring their allies in because it's quite hard to work out who that would be, the game should make clearer "These will become war leader and X, Y, Z will join the war as a result".

It seemed to always do it for me? On the war declaration screen, there'll be the allies, and if an ally has an helmet next to the name it means it might bring his own allies and you can hover on the helmet to see who is likely to join (as far as I can tell that only happens when said ally will become warleader), plus in the final confirmation popup before the actual war it will tell you who becomes the warleader

at least, 99% of the time. Then, 1% of the time, you'll declare war, the popup says no one would join, go for it, you're safe, and then you get dogpiled by a farcical amount of filthy unwashed Gaul tribes :v:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 29, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

It's good that it's in there, but it really should be out in the list proper and not hidden in a tooltip.

Might also be nice to have a little icon in there relating the exact nature of the relationship that an ally is getting called in on. Defensive league, ally, guarantee, vassal etc.

Oh yes of course. Everything UI can and should be improved.

Couple questions: what are you people spending all your Oratory power for? I don't change laws very often, I'm loving tired of clicking "assimilate" (I should do it on, uhhhh, about 7000 pops?) and since a single claim for a province usually gives you a fairly big chunk of land, most often you can't even spend it all in claims (btw do claims ever expire?)

earlier in the thread someone posted a link to a podcast about ancient history , what was that again? And/or do you have any recommended, relevant podcast to listen to while I wait for sieges to progress or armies to slowly move across the whole adriatic coastline?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

ilitarist posted:

Oratory power is also spent on character interactions. I think organizing gladiatorial fights between prisoners is a good boost for ruler popularity. You also smear the reputation of everybody important.

The podcast was probably this one https://thehistoryofrome.typepad.com/ Everyone recommends it even though I myself didn't find it that engaging. The performance is not so good. Something like Dan Carlin's Hardcore History would be much much much less reliable but he makes you want to listen to him.

I'd also recommend Great Courses which is read by university professors. https://www.thegreatcourses.com/category/history.html?CFM=mega_menu They might look a little click-baitish but I assure you that you won't find anything of higher quality. It looks pricey but you have a 14 days trial on Great Courses Plus if you want to do it in legal but cheap way.

Thanks. Well I think I'm going for Dan Carlin's one, it's kinda cheap and it seems like the guy is fun to listen to, which is ideal since I want to listen to a podcast to alleviate boredom, not compound it :v:

About character interactions, I regularly forget about them except when I need to smear someone's rep or make friends with a leader, which doesn't happen all that often. I also didn't even know you could arrange marriages until very recently

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Sydin posted:

Dan Carlin :words:

Thanks, that's really useful :)

I never had manpower issues the whole game as Rome, besides maybe the first couple of wars... But then Rome gets huuuuge within a few decades. Really, I never built a training camp beside the first 8 or so, and just converted tribesman to Freeman as I went and now have 2.5 million manpower :stare:

I was in a hellwar with Iberian tribes recently, they killed way more of my men than I killed theirs, and yet I am still over 2 million :hist101:

Also, late game when you inevitably mash tons of different armies in one megabattle, what decides which general / tactic gets used?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Mugsbaloney posted:

Aaaaagh I can't decide

It has pretty serious performance problems (for me and many others at least), so at least wait until next week for the 1.0.1 patch and see if that fixes it, and hopefully something else too.

Otherwise it's barebones but enjoyable. If you played Stellaris at release, imo this is better, warts and all... for 35€ (got it on sale) it's fine, and God knows I'll get value I already got value out of this game overall at less than 1€/hour, and that's going to improve with patches and even DLC :v:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 29, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So, how do you get vassals? I mean the kind of vassals that will help you in your wars, I don't care about money or manpower by now as Rome, but I sure wouldn't mind a few extra stacks from vassals. Whenever I go to war, the only CB I can get is the standard "claim" one, not sure if that will let me vassalize an enemy without killing me with AE ?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

canepazzo posted:

There are 4 sub menus when you sue for peace, provinces, cities, money and subject interaction. You can select feudatory or tributary in there, no matter the CB.

Funny, I know about the different submenus but I swear that vassalization was not there in my last war. Maybe I did not satisfy some conditions.. ? I was attacking a pretty huge settled tribe so maybe they were too big for vassalization?

Oh well, it doesn't really matter - I still have a few years to go of this game then I'll be waiting for patch 1.0.1 before starting a second one :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Am I wrong in thinking that 90% of the time there is absolutely no point in sieging every last city, except those in the wargoal province to get the warscore? For the rest get the forts, get the capital and you can ask for the whole province. This usually amount to 2-3 sieges per province (AI tends to build 1-2 forts per province maximum, sometimes even none) which isn't that bad