Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I'm cautiously optimistic, but unless they did something to change the fact that all characters everywhere are always one stubbed toe away from throwing the nation into civil war all the time forever, I'll probably bounce off it even though the new building systems and stuff look really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

So can someone explain to me very basically how to keep senate approval up? I'm trying to get a Carthage game off the ground and I literally haven't done anything at all for the first decade because it stays at 45%-50% no matter what I do.

Also is there any benefit at all to playing a republic and being forced into a total doormat role like this?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Agean90 posted:

Having a popular ruler and fulfilling party agendas will increase senate approval.

That said, tyranny isn't a bad thing. Yeah it can make some things harder, but so long as you don't have like 30 of it it's fine, and can even be good as tyranny reduces your aggressive expansion

I actually had a successful game stall out and end because I was caught in an endless loop of tyranny leading to low loyalty leading to low approval leading to more tyranny. I spent decades trying to break out of it and never could.

I just don't understand what you're actually supposed to do with the senate in this game. There's no way to play factions against each other, no way to negotiate with them, no way to appease them all, no way to undercut their power base. You just wait for them to give you their list of demands every 2 years and either cave or invite a civil war. I guess I could keep the party endorsements going all the time, always, but I just don't have the influence for it and at a certain point I have to wonder what the point of even dealing with this poo poo is.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Beamed posted:

Characters are still pointless entirely though

You know, the more I think about it, the more I believe Medieval: Total War's character mechanics should be the golden standard for grand strategy games. Characters were used in simple, straightforward ways, but who could still amass their own little list of unique (and often hilarious) personality traits. If someone was disloyal it was easy to tell and there were a lot of ways to deal with it; keep them close, offer them a title or royal marriage, assassinate/frame them for treason, or send the inquisition after them. Most importantly, the game never forgot that you were playing a country and understood that no one gives a poo poo if the 4th son of House Gisgo got the gout or whatever.

I feel like Imperator would have worked a lot better if it had gone that route OR decided to be completely character centric and streamlined the empire/economic management. Right now it's worst of both worlds.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Cobra Lionfist posted:

I'm trying to reform my tribe to a republic but have been stuck on the last step for ages. I need a ruler with 80 popularity and keep getting ones with about 40. Is there anyway to ensure a popular ruler? Most events I get only add a few points.

You can try swapping out one of your ideas for the Religious one that gives your ruler +.33 popularity a month. You'll lose your government bonuses by having mismatched idea slots but it's probably worth it if you're that close to reforming out of it anyway.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I think religious conversion is bugged, I'm getting a -25% "non integrated culture" penalty even though the culture has been integrated for decades.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I know it's been talked about recently, but I'm really worried about how fast Rome is expanding in my Dumnonia game. It's only been about 30 years and they already have all of Italy and are pushing into France and Carthage. I'm well on my way to uniting the British isles but it seems like I'm already too late to ever mount an effective resistance against Rome once they turn north. Am I really screwed that soon out of the gate?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I wonder why they nerfed building cost so hard, a lot of them were barely worth paying for to begin with.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

If you stacked a ton of different build cost modifiers you could get to something like 90% cost reduction so that might be why.

It's a bit weird how there's a ton of garbage buildings that don't do anything useful but you want to build a foundry + temple + theater in every single city

Agreed. Settlement buildings are even worse, mines and farms are always good but slave estates are situational, barracks are less effective than cities if you want freemen, and I don't think I've ever built a legation or tribal settlement.

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Do I want my whole country to be covered by zones of control? These forts are getting expensive

Probably not, I used to do this but it's really expensive and probably wasn't worth it even before the cost increase. Mostly you'll just want them on provincial capitals and/or very defensible chokepoints like mountain passes.

That said, the new patch made them a bit cheaper so maybe you can be a bit more liberal with them.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Also huge props to whomever suggested cozying up to the traditionalists and revoking holdings/scorning families to keep senate approval high. I've been able to keep senate approval around ~75% most of the time and right now in my Dumnonia game it's at 97%.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

If your government has a civic slot there's also an idea that increases it by 25% globally.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Which of the Celtic tribes would you say are the strongest/easiest? Dumnonia and Brigantia are fun, but the British isles are so sparsely inhabited that I think being isolated is making things harder rather than easier in the long run.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I haven't tried them in the new patch but Insubria used to be fun.

You'll, uh, need to go south fast, though. :laugh:

e: Actually, if you want a challenge run, try going migratory as one of the Pannonian Gaulish tribes and forming Galatia the historical way.

e2: "A challenge run" is the exact opposite of what you asked for but that specific play has been on my mind a lot recently.

Honestly so have I. I've always found the Galatians fascinating historically, and I love playing games where I can migrate and settle in a totally new area.

I'm just not sure what a 50-pop barbarian tribe is supposed to do against the Antigonids.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I think they said a pop's social strata would play into it during the dev diaries but that doesn't seem to have made it into the game (aside from slaves not being eligible, of course).

So one thing I'm finding out is that population really doesn't increase much over the course of the game? Even if you go completely nuts stacking pop growth modifiers it takes 30-50 for a single pop to form, and a lot of pops can die during wars from enslavement and levies getting obliterated. Is there any way to populate a relatively sparse region even if it takes a while?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

If you have enough influence to make more than one city per province you’re expanding too slowly :colbert:

Can confirm, this is what messed up my first 2.0 game and getting more aggressive has helped immensely.

Agean90 posted:

i need to stockpile the influence to keep my governor and legates from causing a civil war tho

I will admit that getting rid of an annoying governor by intentionally botching a trial so the kick off their attempt at power while my cohorts are ready to strike is satisfying tho

Also this. I tried it once in an earlier version and some pissant managed to rally half the country when it failed, so I kind of wrote off ever putting characters on trial again. But it turns out that imprisoning your political rivals (or letting them run wild and then crucifying them) does wonders to keep the government running smoothly and I wish I had been doing it all along.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Also it took me a while to realize that a lot of character traits impose a minimum corruption level on that character, so you can never fully eliminate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Given that development is on an indefinite hiatus, anyone have experience with mods? I like the base game but as someone else mentioned, I don't like how trade suffers as the number of tags in the game goes down, or how Rome is almost impossible to stop after like 15 years, etc. I'd love it if there was just a balance mod that smoothed out the roughest edges like that.