Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

Plus I like the idea of EU4 but with characters. Watching EU4 seemed to be good strategy but dry, whereas CK2 was full of flavor but the combat was kind of dumb and not interesting. I'm hoping this will be a good blend of the two, and I really like the Roman era of history.

The bones are there to have the best of both worlds, but it's going to take some DLC to build on that.

The most fun there is in EU4 is to play some little nobody country that's secretly a powerhouse when you unlock their potential. So I'm hoping that DLC also adds variation and fleshes out all the little tribes and nations that aren't Rome/Carthage/Greek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Massadonia, Puhtolemy, Fergia.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

If we're recommending history podcasts, I know some people find his delivery style off-putting but Dan Carlin's Hardcore History just finished a series on the Achaemenid Empire, which is the period immediately before the game start and highly relevant to the Greek successor states. Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Eimi posted:

United Hellas and standing up to Rome and the Macedonians sounds like a fun run. Dunno who to play for such a run though. If Lesbos was independent I'd totally play it for obvious reasons. :v:

Macedon is Hellas! *lights barrel of trash on fire and riots in the street*

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Many native English speakers just assume every other language is as broken and nonsensical as ours, and just throw our hands up and don't even try.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Liking it so far, but it really needs an optimization pass.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Character UI things that I haven’t figured out yet:

- Occasionally I get a popup telling me that due to problems in <neighboring country> there are special interactions I can do with a character. Clicking on the character portrait in the popup brings up a character window, e.g. of the general of the neighbor’s army and I can encourage disloyalty, make friends, etc. Neat, this is a good way to weave the character system into diplomacy. But if I dismiss that popup how do I get back to that character? Actually is there a way to see the characters in another country? Or do I have to do the interactions right then and there when I get the popup?

- My primary heir lists me as one of their supporters. How do I support a different heir if I want to? I don’t see any UI for this in the government screen or in the character screen. I tried everything I could find to get rid of this awful stats primary heir: smeared his reputation, drove his loyalty to zero, gave his brother who is his rival command of an army. He still inherited :argh:

- I screwed up and married off one of my 18 year old heirs to a 55 year old woman who I assume is too old to produce any children. Kind of funny, but maybe a warning popup is warranted? I actually have no idea what to look for in a marriage partner. Do their stats have any effect on anything?

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Sydin posted:

Dan Carlin has ten or so free episodes up on Spotify, which doesn't sound like much but is a TON of content (I think the WW1 series alone is something like 15-16 hours) and then has a bunch more episodes on his website you have to buy. IMO they're pretty darn worth it, and if it's Roman History you're looking for specifically he has two series on his website called "Death Throes of the Republic" and "Punic Nightmares" that cover the rise of Sulla and the Second Punic Wars. Carlin has a tendency to get some details wrong but he's engaging and broadly paints an accurate enough picture of events, while also doing a very good job of bringing in the human element of of history vs a dry statement of facts.

Seconding this, and also pointing out that his Celtic Holocaust (Gallic wars) and King of Kings (Achaemenid empire up to Alexander) series are also relevant to the time period covered by Imperator.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Epicurius posted:

Did capital cities move much in this time period?

Alexander moved his capital to Babylon. The Achaemenids had several capitals (Susa, Persepolis, Ecbatana, etc.) Assyria had Assur and Nineveh. Egypt moved its capital a bunch of times.

It was definitely a thing for large empires in the ancient world. Not so much for city states, for obvious reasons.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

Listening to the history of rome and playing a little bit of the game I think im just running into the problem of the era not actually being all that well suited for an EUIV style grand strategy game.

EUIV has all sorts of little regional show downs all over the globe (Ottomans v Hre, Spain v Morocco, France v HRE and Britain, etc.) Meanwhile of the major power stand offs of this era are just the Rome v Carthage deathmatch and a bunch of warring greek successor states destined to get rinsed by the winner of that deathmatch.

On top of that there is no grand crisis to flip the table like the Reformation or the Mongol invasions. This entire period is marked by the unbroken and unchallenged ascendancy of Rome as a world dominating power and all of the interesting crises or table flipping (after the punic wars at least) was an internal struggle inside the empire/republic rather than some outside invading force or extranational institution breaking down. Internal struggles that the game seems mostly uninterested in modelling well.

This is not at all clear. Rome could easily have failed to unify Italy at numerous different points. It's also not clear that Carthage would've dominated the entire Mediterranean the way Rome did if they had come out on top. Rome coming out on top in the Gallic Wars were also not an inevitability. Julius Caesar came within a breath of being killed at the battle of Alesia. Any of the Diadochi securing an early primacy over the others would've also radically altered things, at least in the eastern Med.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

canepazzo posted:

First patch is live

quote:

###################
# Performance
###################
- Optimized daily tick to improve stuttering
- Added option to run a benchmark. Use the launch options with ‘-benchmark’ to run a ~4 minute benchmark, testing GPU & CPU.

I'm a bit disappointed that that's all we get for performance, unless there's more that just didn't get noted in the patch notes.

Right now the game is noticeably laggy anytime a character sheet, or the characters or families window is visible. Like even with the game paused, just mousing around to look at tooltips is laggy.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

My second campaign, the first 'real' one, I decided to go for the Gaul achievement. I ran into some problems when I got my capital to 50 civilization, which might be apparent from the screenshot:

The barbarians killed all the civilized folk in western Europe. In order to form Gaul you have to be a monarchy or republic, and in order to become one of those you need to neighbor one. I ended up selling a city to Carthage so that I could neighbor someone sufficiently smarter than me and teach me their ways. Reminiscent of the old westernization in EU4 before institutions.

There's some kind of bug with clan retinues, when a clan leader died I was inheriting their retinue as a regular army, but the units still all had the loyal icon and I couldn't delete them. That was saddling me with some big economic issues as I ended up with a stack of 80 something chariots rusting in the capital because I couldn't get rid of them. Seems like either they should delete when the clan leader dies (as the tooltip implies), or at least not be loyal anymore so I can delete them. (And the clan leaders really should notice that I'm teching for infantry and light cav and recruit appropriately.)

I started as Treveria, in case anyone was wondering.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Game’s good, I’ve already put 48 hours into it and am having fun, and it will get better with patches and DLC. I don’t know why we go through this with every new Paradox title.

Honestly I’d rather they focus on making the game run smoother and not worry about the short term bitching and adding bandaid features in reaction thereto.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Taear posted:

Like not to poo poo on your work but I've said it before in here - you DON'T need to neighbour one. It's an either or thing.
As long as you've passed the right laws, all your guys like you and you have 50 civilization in your capital you can do it. The laws you have to pass require 8 oratory though, and that level (or around there) is also needed to get to civilization 50.

Hm, nope, that wasn't how it worked for me. I had enacted the necessary law years earlier but couldn't take the decision. I waited for the decision to become available and I was starting to get worried there wasn't much time left in the game, so I sold a province to Carthage, waited for the monthly tick, then I could take the Embrace Democracy decision. Then I was immediately able to take the form Gaul decision. Then I took the screenshot and quit.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Judging by the screenshot, Carthage's naval range doesn't reach to Phoenicia, which is pretty funny.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

As someone that doesn't really like CK2, I like the current amount of character interaction and don't want them to go all the way down the CK2 path of sports team roster manager with medieval trappings. For what it's worth.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Important info buried in tooltips in a Paradox game? It's more likely than you think...

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Azuren posted:

How the hell do you pronounce Macedon, anyway? I've seen it Anglicized as "Makedon" before (Europa Barbarorum what up!) Hard K, there was no soft C right?

Correct, C in classical Latin is always a hard consonant. The process of turning it into a sibilant happened as Latin transitioned into the Romance languages. Also G is always a hard consonant. And Ph is the Latinization of Greek Φ, which in ancient Greek is an aspirated plosive, so it doesn't sound like F at all it sounds like a hard P with some air exhaled along with or right after it. So Phrygia is sort of like "Pehh-ree-gee-uh'. English doesn't have any aspirated plosives so this is an awkward thing to say for English speakers, and this rabbit hole is very deep and you may as well give up and pronounce it however sounds best because this isn't a linguistics class and we're never going to get anything truly authentic.

Just don't say Fergia, that's stupid.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

It makes me madder than it probably should that there is absolutely no way for a even vaguely historical outcome to happen even though it was very shortly after the start of the game and it would be easy to make it work almost exactly like Burgundy in EU4. They put in a super half assed revolt event which happens when Antigonus dies but it's extremely non-threatening, at worst they lose a couple of provinces. I know that a lot of people are super hostile to "railroading" but it's equally boring for Phyrgia to just sit with a giant army of feudatories doing nothing, if there were constant huge wars between the Diadochi I wouldn't mind so much that the historical outcome never happens.

Though the Seleucids being a completely failed state in the majority of games is probably a bigger problem

Weird, I've only played 3 campaigns so far and in all 3 Phrygia imploded pretty spectacularly. In two of those campaigns the Seleucids also… not quite imploded but definitely lost a lot of territory.

Egypt however, sits there all game doing nothing but being stable as hell.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

PederP posted:

The entire conversion mechanic is anachronistic and I'll be happy when someone mods it out. Not just changed to a timer or policy, but almost completely gone. I could harp on about why the current system is bad and extremely far from history, but it'd be a useless discussion. Either way, I don't expect a fully realistic simulation and everyone has different thresholds and preferences when comes to the connection to actual history. I have fun with the game as it is now, and I'll enjoy it even more when the inevitable historical realism increasing mods roll around.

Hellenization and Romanization were real things, I don't know why you would consider them ahistorical. It would be more ahistorical to completely remove it, I think.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

In game terms, what is incredibly not the same about it? How would you model Hellenization in the game differently?

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Descar posted:

It's is the -only- way to play, there's no other to reduce risk of civil war or rebellion then to culture convert all and everything.

That's not true. You can use trade goods to boost happiness and province loyalty. You can appoint same-culture, same-religion governors. You can use governors which have traits that gives happiness or reduced unrest.

In the current campaign I'm running I haven't intentionally turned on the assimilation or conversion policies (though they do sometimes randomly turn on when you appoint a governor I suppose), and I haven't had any revolts yet because I've been using governors with good traits and trade goods that increase happiness.

E: oh and giving governors troops to suppress unrest. That's a huge factor too.

Family Values fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 13, 2019

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Average Bear posted:

Most people here probably only know of EU Rome due to the Crete LP. But that was popular because it focused on readers playing the role of politicians, and not expanding until like the very end when a dictator took power. I know paradox dev's read this forum and hell, some are goons. Just an odd lesson to take from the popular reception of that broken game.

That sure is some smug. Are you RPing Comic Book Guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

I bought this game at release and liked it then; played through several campaigns and thought it's going to be great with a few more patches and maybe some DLC. So I read through the dev diaries and watched some random 'what's new' video and fired it back up for the first time since about a month after release. Holy poo poo I was flailing. I remember less than I thought and/or there's a lot more new stuff than I realized. Anyone have recommendations for decent I:R streamers? The few streamers I usually follow all seem to have dropped I:R. I need to ease myself back into this game instead of diving straight into the deep end. I'm trying to decide on where to play next. How tough a start is the Bosporan Kingdom?