Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Savy Saracen salad posted:

Question to those knowledgeable about this game: Is this going to be like CK2 OR EU? I really enjoy ck2 and it's character driven gameplay while EU bores me to tears.

It's closer to EU4 than CK2, there's still character management and dynastic stuff going on but you won't be shoving your chancellor into a manure pit or cucking your rivals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

I really doubt they'll expand the timeline, it's really rare that players actually finish games in any of the current games they've released. I'd put some money on the first content expansion either being steppe nomads or a nation/culture specific event pack to flesh out areas of the world.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

Taear posted:

I wish the game would tell you when your kids are old enough to marry, it feels a bit like I notice when they're in their 30s and it's a bit late.

Yeah I messed this one up pretty bad in my Epirus game, Pyrrhus lived to the ripe old age of 87 and his 64 year old son inherited with no kids. Managed to crank a few out and grow them to adulthood before he died though!

I'm having a lot of fun with the game's design and mechanics so far, apart from a few technical hiccups.

Got myself into a really interesting strategic position currently that I really want to continue, my 650ish pop Epirus is sandwiched between a richer hostile 1000 pop Macedon and a friendly 1500 pop Rome that I can't currently ally due to my limited size and economy. I've been able to stabilize my position with a vastly oversized high tech army, but I'm incredibly poor from maintaining said army, and I have to say this is one of the first times in a long time I've felt actual stress from external factors in a paradox game. Been lucky enough so far to avoid any sort of internal strife, and this random oldass man in my kingdom won the Olympics twice.

creamcorn fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 26, 2019

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

Not only did Etruria survive and almost entirely defeat the Romans, it has now budded a second Etruria. I haven't really interfered with anything above the heel either (as syrakusai), this is all just the AI.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

Technowolf posted:

Do you have any tips for the start as Epirus? I tried earlier today and kinda bounced off of it.

You essentially have to be a scavenger, and pick off any small bits of Greek territory or chunks of Italy you can early on. Epirus can field a pretty solid standing army early on, but you're going to be outclassed by Macedon for a while. Cancel your alliance with Taulantia at the start so you can pick them off when the truce expires and avoid getting drawn into bad wars with the balkan barbs, and try to gobble up as much of southern greece as you can before Macedon/Phyrgia does. If you take Taulantia's mountain provinces, you can build forts there that will keep you relatively safe from Macedon. The balkan provinces are honestly kind of a trap to expand into, you won't be able to get that many of them per claim and they'll drain your manpower dry with the horrible supply limit. Stick to the coasts.

After you do that, you should be powerful enough to take on the various states in Magna Graecia, and then you just have to win one or two wars against Rome to gobble up some of those big beautiful Italian provinces. No-CB warring Crete and Cyrenaica is a good idea too, you can get access to iron from crete and horses from Cyrenaica and they're greek-culture so you don't eat too much aggressive expansion. Don't forget to do your unique national decision too, it's not a big deal but it helps your economy in the long term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

ai syracuse has survived and thrived for at least 50 years in all 3 of my bosporan kingdom attempts thus far since the patch, although they actually turned into the mamertines in one of them. i had a lot of success with that start in earlier permutations of the game but carthage being more aggressive changes things up, you'll probably want to keep a bunch of cash floating for mercs. attacking carthage if they ever get distracted is a good move, if it takes them too long to move troops to the island from wherever it is they're fighting you can usually nibble off some of it in a quick peace deal just based on occupation bonus warscore.