Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Randarkman posted:

So. Is force limit a thing? I'm unused to this interface and can't find it.

Nope, not yet at least. The force limit is just how much you're able to afford.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Comet sighted motherfucker!!!

Also turns out the nation I was assigned for a multiplayer game this weekend is gonna be hella hard to play right, so that's somewhat annoying. RIP

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Hammerstein posted:

How do I deal with revolts when playing a tribal nation?

I took over a neighbouring province, 1-2 years later they start to rebel and suddenly all my armies get exiled and the cities switch over to the rebels without a siege or fight. Then the rebels run amok and start depopulating the area until my armies can get back and restore order.

The governor of the second province is my 100% loyal clan chief.

So, if I recall correctly, revolts happen when 20% or more of your nation lives in a disloyal province that is not your primary culture type. It doesn't matter if the governor is loyal it's the province itself (or the people) that you have to worry about. Often times using your scroll mana to convert them to your culture is the easiest way to avoid this, as it makes the province your culture and increases their loyalty per month.

The tab on the far left should have a list of your provinces and the loyalty change per month.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Sydin posted:

Speaking of befriending, does it matter if a character's personal wealth drops below 0? I got an event that was "bribe this guy to get him to be your friend" for like 300 gold, but its out of the counsel's pocket and he only has about 100 bucks.

Not sure how this event specifically works, but yes, it does matter. Often time that character will be put in a debtor's prison and will be unable to fill any positions until they have paid off their debt in prison. I've had that happen a couple times when I have a governor pay money to a province over some issue.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

RabidWeasel posted:

Johan posted a thing

The new WIP UI looks good, hiding the city pane is a really good idea, and pie charts!

He seems quite bitter, but on the other hand some of the things seem quite nice. The things I like most:

quote:

Lack of Flavor
There has been a lot of feedback of the game about how most countries just feel the same to play, and there are no variations. While most people appreciate that there is enough difference between settled tribes, migratory tribes, monarchies and republics, there is not much difference between the different tribes other than their starting location.

While we did not view this is a flaw, we hear you, and will add some distinct flavor to 1.1, some new to our games, and some familiar.

First of all, we are adding bonuses to each religion, so that different religions have different impacts. That in itself does not make the game suddenly great, but it gives a bit more flavor.

Secondly, we are diversifying Omens, so that different religions, or even different countries can have unique omens for them. We will go into more details on this soon.

Finally, we are adding something we call Heritages to countries. This is something they start with, which gives 2 bonuses and 1 drawback. There will be lots of “generic” heritages for countries, which depends on their geography, but we aim to add as many unique ones as possible in 1.1, and then keep adding them.

Percieved Shallowness
A lot of the things that happens has not been visible enough to the player, like you don’t see the things characters do with each other. This will be changed for 1.1, where you will be able to always see what a character is up to, besides just an ambition.

Another thing is that the game has been tuned so a lot of the mechanics is not required to think about, especially when you are a big power. I’ve seen a lot of comments about how great the game is when you play smaller, compared to Rome where you just rofl-stomp everything, and don’t have to care about any challenges. One thing we are reworking in 1.1, is how a characters “power base” is calculated, which is the amount of troops, holdings, wealth or territory he or she may hold, and that power base will have much more impact.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Half-wit posted:

Ok, finished my first game of I:R.

Game Summary:
Started as a city on Crete, didn't have many expansion options because Phrygia was guarantee'ing literally all of the Greek states; so had to go down to Cyrenicia, then by opportunity hopped on Egypt after they got a civil war; taking most of the Nile Delta. Then pushed up into Greece on a coalition that somehow got out from underneath Phrygia's thumb. About that point, Phrygia had a civil war, so used that opportunity to push up through Epirus (who was guaranteed by Phrygia). Got me close enough to Rome to start tearing Italy down; which was rather easy because Rome apparently had lots of issues with Etruria earlier. Ended up taking half the boot and then going back across the Adriatic to push up into Dacia through some tribes that weren't guaranteed by Phrygia. (Did I mention that Phrygia was guaranteeing everyone in Greece?). Ended up making a weird looking claw around Odysria, and ended up having to keep pushing through most of Dacia trying to eliminate people who were guaranteeing Macedon. Surprisingly, Macedon was not guaranteed by Phrygia, but they were guaranteed by Egypt and successive Dacian alliances. By the time that campaign was done, I had completely surrounded Macedonia, formed the Hellenistic League, and my entire Eastern border was Phrygia north to south on the map (I guess they integrated all the people they had previously been guaranteeing, or lose them to Macedon). Finished off the rest of Rome (including Sicily) and that was ~year 650.

I was big enough that I felt confident to finally take on Phrygia. Thank god for the ability to automate armies, because wars on that scale are a mess. I must have spent ~20 years losing armies in Anatolia while slowly taking Phrygia's holdings north of that one straight. When countries are that large, apparently even 50 warscore is enough to get 100 AE and warscore cost worth of provinces. In the meantime, Macedonia had a civil war and LOST, so all of Macedonian land was no longer guaranteed by Egypt, so snapped that up without a second thought. Finished the war with Phrygia taking a ton of their coastal provinces; and then decided to go beat up on some Gauls to the west of the Italian boot while waiting out the truce. Migratory tribes that get big are sick. As in, they have 160k stacks of troops for only holding two provinces sick (they're trash troops, but quantity can be its own quality). Had to rely on mercs to compete, because I just didn't have the manpower. That war went ok, and I took most of Transalpine Gaul. Apparently this was *too much* *too quick* as I got a timer for a rebellion. Spent 20 years letting AE tick down, and both Egypt and Phrygia decided they wanted a piece because I wasn't in great shape after bleeding all the manpower to the Gauls, so when the truce was up I had to fight both of them. I just scraped by 10 warscore for a white peace with both, because I definitely didn't need my unhappy provinces getting unhappier with more AE.

I tried one more war with Phrygia after the second truce, and at this point, the game decided that it needed to take 5 second breaks every once in awhile...I...assume because of all the automated armies on both sides. It was mainly just a slog, even with automated armies, because Phrygia (and myself) just had so many troops and income. I took a little more of Anatolia, but peaced out without maxxing warscore because the game was about to end.

Expanding around the Mediterranean by end-game is a pretty easy accomplishment without pushing hard (unless one of the major powers gets lucky and blobs out in your game). If Phrygia hadn't been such a powerhouse the entire game, I definitely could have seen myself taking a whole lot more land than I actually did. I'm thinking if that ever happens again, perhaps instead of taking land from the giant enemy after one hellwar, maybe release a bunch of nations out of it instead.

Simple things that are maybe not obvious (required to push lots of territory acquisition):
1) This carried over from the other Paradox games (well, EU4 at least), and it's still just as unintuitive: when you're fighting a hellwar against a 5 nation alliance, you can separate peace the nations you've fully occupied (prior to peacing out the warleader).
2) You can build like 10 light infantry per __region__, move them into the region, don't assign a general to them, and click on one of the icons that looks like a flag to assign the army to the governor. This will reduce unrest to the point where loyalty of provinces in the region isn't really an issue (at least, for aggressive expansion values below 100).
3) Culture conversion is basically the only important governor policy for all newly acquired territories that are not already your culture group. Once a critical mass of the population is your culture in a province, you don't have to worry about doing (2). This will also help long-term the more provinces you acquire that are outside your main culture group. Can't have a rebellion if 80% of your population is your main culture group.
4) Mercenaries use no manpower. Acquire them early (as your economy allows), and use them as first-in troops to wear down the opponents armies. Use your own troops to occupy to preserve manpower. Reinforcement doesn't really occur (fast) in enemy territory, even if you've occupied it, so if one of your stacks does take a beating, having it sit back in friendly territory for a bit (and pressing one of the buttons on the army screen that increases reinforcement) to recover can be useful.
5) The game is only 275 years. It's...rather short for the number of provinces. Assuming you're only getting into a war every 10 years and letting AE burn off completely, you'll only get about 27 wars. This is not enough warring to do a world conquest. Additional AE tapers off the higher your AE is, so you're basically going to have to use all of the above, and never stop fighting wars if you ever intend to get close to conquering the entire world.

Ship combat is so terribly bare-bones. Basically if you have more ships than them, you win. If you have equal ships, it could go either way; but the loser will probably lose 3/4 their fleet while the winner will lose nothing. The AI also likes to wander around with all their ships in one death-stack. There's no point contesting the seas unless you have more ships than the other person, and if you do have more ships than the other person, congratulations, you win all of the seas.

This is an entertaining post. Have a screenshot of what your nation looked like by the end of the game?

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Beamed posted:

Looks like there was no bump from the new patch that many here theorized would happen:

The numbers sorta obscure the middle but you can see the relevant stat; it hit about 1500 from 1000 Wednesday at least.

I'm not sure.. what the game's path will be from here.

isn't this just a beta release? i wasn't aware that it had actually made it into the full game yet

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Looking forward to the new patch, against my better instincts. It's still quite a deep game, and I love most of these changes. Really really glad they took out instant religious and culture conversion, it felt absolutely bizarre.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Well the changes to Imperator were a little overwhelming, so I ended up having to play a Rome game. Love the new political influence system, if I wasn't playing a nation that got tons of free claims I would definitely have to balance some poo poo. Also huge huge fan of non instant claims and conversions. Still needs some more content but I'm having fun.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

canepazzo posted:

Tried after a break, I forgot how food works - I conquered Sabinia as Rome and suddenly Latium is starving? Did I capture too many pops? I don't remember how to SPQR :smith:

There is a "max" population a city can have now, building aqueducts increases the population capacity. If you're having trouble stockpiling food, get rid of one or two trade routes to your capital and import goods from the "food" group

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
I never thought I would be this excited about an update to this game after my first round of playing it. It reminds me of how excited I was when it was first coming out, which is probably a bad sign, but there's no question about it: I am ready to get hurt again.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Awesome, I was waiting to hear when this was coming out, and I'm glad it's only 2 weeks away.

I'm looking forward to all the new systems, but what's really making me come back is the updates to the UI. Better late than never I suppose.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Sorry for the double post, but since the last post was made two weeks ago, I think it should be fine. Paradox just released the patch notes for the upcoming DLC/patch, looks like it's coming out tomorrow.

quote:

###################
# Free Features
###################

UI: Entirely redesigned UI with a new visual style
UI: Added nested tooltip and game-concept support
Inventions: Technology advances now provide 1 Innovation per level
Inventions: Spend innovations in new branching trees to specialize your civilization
Inventions: Numerous augmentations to existing mechanics, government interactions, and unit abilities can be unlocked through the invention tree
Military: Raise Levies from your integrated pops in times of war
Military: Form standing Legions, appoint Legates and Tribunes, and track their accomplishments
Military: New Engineer unit type which aids in river crossings, sieges, and paving roads
Military: Combat Width is now dynamic and based on terrain
Military: 9 new unique 3D unit models for Legions
Military: Military traditions now displayed in tree structure
Military: Military tradition groups now unlockable based on integrated cultures [If enough integrated pops are present, theoretically any military tradition group can be acquired]
Military: New Legacy of Alexander wargoal for successor kingdoms, in which the ownership of conquered territory is flipped immediately [as in civil wars]
Military: Occupying a province’s and forts capital now occupies the entire province, removing need for carpet sieges
Buildings: Ports can now be built in any coastal territory
Buildings: Ports now come in tiers, with higher tiers able to build larger ships
Buildings: Buildings can now be limited to a specific cap
Buildings: Buildings now contribute to civilization level in territories
Buildings: Various buildings are now unlocked by invention trees
Buildings: All buildings rebalanced, including larger effects, rebalanced prices, and AI weighting - see below for detail
Trade: Individual Provinces can now be set to automatically (but slowly) seek goods to import
Character Interactions: Added Support Pretender, boosting the powerbase of a chosen pretender in any foreign monarchy [old succession crisis interaction renamed to Intervene in Crisis]
Character Interactions: Added Espionage, unlocked by invention, allows visibility of foreign manpower and treasury counts [now hidden by default] with events for sabotage and more

###################
# Expansion Features
###################

Great Wonder designer has been added, enabling customized wonders to be constructed
New Great Wonder modifier tiers can be unlocked in invention trees
18 new Diadochi Mission trees have been added, covering Thrace, the Antigonid Kingdom, Egypt, Macedon, and the Seleukid Empire
24 Honors and Dishonors can be earned by Legions distinguishing or disgracing themselves with their actions
13 new Deities have been added - hail Sobek
29 new Treasures can now be acquired
League City subject type added, acquired through the invention tree system
Alexander’s Panoply and Anthologia Philosophike treasure decisions have been added, allowing you to consolidate the effects of multiple smaller treasures
3 new music tracks with a focus on war and battle

###################
# Gamebalance
###################

# Economy
Manpower pools now regenerate faster, but only store 12 years-worth of manpower
Freemen and tribesmen now provide increased manpower
Most sources of tax income have been reduced
Population output in all territories is now reduced by 30%
Settlements now have 50% reduced ship building speed and a 15% malus to pop output, from 25%
Tributaries now have their tribute removed from their resources instead of just adding to the overlord
Build Road cost is reduced by Engineer cohorts
Food production now possible without surplus
Added an additional integrated culture for Antigonids, to give them a bit more fighting power
Governors now receive a standard wage of 0.2% of national income in addition to the provincial wage
Governor’s standard wages increased by 100% when their levy is raised
Low Fort Maintenance now reduces fort maintenance by 15% from 25%
#Buildings Rework City Details:
Granary: 100 gold, +200 Provincial Food Capacity, +2% Civilization Level
Library: 100 gold, +5% Research Points, +2.5% Conversion Speed, +2% Civilization Level
Marketplace: 100 gold, +2.5% Base Trade Routes, +2.5% Assimilation Speed, +2% Civilization Level
Training Camp: 100 gold, +10% Manpower, +2% Civilization Level
Tax Office: 100 gold, +10% Tax, +2% Civilization Level
Academy: 150 gold, 3 per city, +4% Noble Happiness, +5% Noble Desired Ratio, +0.01% Monthly Civilization Change, +3% Civilization Level
Court of Law: 150 gold, 3 per city, +6% Citizen Happiness, +10% Citizen Desired Ratio, +0.01 Territory Provincial Loyalty, +3% Civilization Level
Forum: 150 gold, 3 per city, +6% Freeman Happiness, +10% Freeman Desired Ratio, +2.5% Monthly Food, +3% Civilization Level
Mill: 150 gold, 3 per city, +6% Slave Happiness, +6% Slave Output, +10% Slave Desired Ratio, +3% Civilization Level
Aqueduct: 150 gold, +4 Population Capacity
Earthworks: 150 gold, 1 per city, +25% Fort Defense, -10% Population Output, +1 Hostile Attrition, -3 Combat Width
Theater: 300 gold, 1 per city, +10% Integrated Culture Happiness, +2 Pop Assimilation Speed, +0.05 Provincial Loyalty, +5% Civilization Level
Temple: 300 gold, 1 per city, +10% State Religion Happiness, +2 Pop Conversion Speed, +0.05 Provincial Loyalty, +5% Civilization Level
Foundry: 300 gold, 1 per city, -4 Slaves for Surplus, +10% Population Output, +50% Starting Experience, +5% Civilization Level
#Buildings Rework Settlement Details:
Barracks: 200 gold, +20% Manpower, -25% Migration Speed, +8% Freeman Happiness, +15% Freeman Desired Ratio, +5% Civilization Level
Mine: 200 gold, -5 Slaves for Surplus, -25% Migration Speed, +5% Civilization Level
Tribal Settlement: 200 gold, +10% Population Capacity Modifier, -2.5% Citizen Desired Ratio, +30% Tribesman Output, +8% Tribesman Happiness
Slave Estate: 200 gold, -25% Migration Speed, +50% Monthly Food Modifier, +30% Slave Output, +5% Civilization Level
Farming Settlement: 200 gold, -5 Slave for Surplus, -25% Migration Speed, +50% Monthly Food Modifier, +5% Civilization Level
Provincial Legation: 200 gold, +75% Migration Speed, +15% Integration Speed
#Buildings Rework Shared Details:
Fortress: 150 gold, -5% Manpower, +1 Fort Level, +5% Fort Defensive, +1% Civilization Level
Port: 150 gold, +1 Population Capacity, +15% Ship Recruit Speed, +0.1 Migration Attraction, +0.1 Migration Speed

#Population
Population growth speed and capacity now scale with civilization value, and are increased less by external sources
Tribesmen now consume less food
Population migration speed reduced significantly, with the exception of tribesmen
All settlement buildings now reduce migration speed from their territory by an additional 25% (bringing it to -100%: this will now effectively remove migration unless there are extenuating circumstances such as occupation/famine/unrest)
#Technology
Civic technology now grants 1% population capacity and 1% global food per level
Civic technology no longer grants Commerce Income
Oratory technology now grants 0.5% global civilization value per level, from 2%
Religious technology now grants 2% Omen power per level, from 2.5%

# Governments
Monarchies can choose a primary heir from the pretenders with the Anoint button, with positive and negative event consequences possible
Added rare event for large unstable AI tribes to splinter into subjects and free states
Added Elective Monarchy government type
Improved republic agenda selection logic
Rebalanced ‘Senatorial Chambers’ harsh happiness modifier in tribal reform mission

# Religion
Added Hellenic deities Dioskourai (Greek) and Castores (Roman)
Treasures can now be individually removed from non-pantheon Holy Sites as well

# Units
All cultures or culture groups now have a levy template, indicating which unit types their poptypes will raise. This should result in geographically appropriate levied armies
Levies are now raised from integrated culture pops in governorships
If a governorship is incapable of supporting raised levied units; the associated units will begin taking attrition until they are removed
Levies no longer have a maintenance cost - instead their pops cease producing base resources while raised
Regular unit (legion) maintenance increased significantly
Mercenary maintenance cost reduced to 150% of base
Military experience is acquired when disbanding experienced levies
Levies may not be disbanded during war
Powerbase from loyal veterans reduced significantly
Loyal levied units now grant loyal veterans to their governor when disbanded
Strategic trade goods have no bearing on levy composition, we now assume that cultures bring their horses/elephants with them.
Strategic trade goods are now required to be present in a governorship/region in order to recruit units of the linked type in a legion.

# War & Peace
Woo General interaction now transfers foreign legates
Triumphs may now only be held for generals who have won sufficiently large battles
A provincial Fortress limit has been added which will incur costs when exceeded
All countries with Pirate Heritage now have access to the Slave Raid naval ability
Forced March unit ability is now unlocked in the Martial invention tree
Carpet Siege unit mission added, replacing Fight Rebels, useful in civil and Diadochi wars
Being at Peace once again reduces War Exhaustion (by 0.08pm) to counterbalance new sources of War Exhaustion gain (levies and great conquest wars)

#Characters
Brave trait no longer reduces loyalty

# Other
Happiness for Same Culture modifier significantly increased for top rank nations
Tyranny now reduces character loyalty by 15% less
Colonization now requires 8 pops in a neighboring territory, from 10
Reworked all modifier durations to be at least 1 year
Reworked costs for event options
Vassal Integration costs (per pop) reduced by approximately 20%
Global monthly state loyalty malus removed from nation rank
Non-dominant primary culture territories now have +2 slaves required per trade good produced

###################
# AI
###################

# Diplomacy
AI now less willing to join defensive leagues far away
AI now has a default willingness to grant military access [as opposed to the previous default unwillingness]
AI significantly better at economic diplomacy: integrating subjects, improving opinion through gifts, and insulting potential war opponents

# Economy
AI now significantly more careful about exceeding budgetary restrictions
AI better at handling integrated cultures, and removing integrated cultures that are no longer economically sound

# War
AI nations with republic or monarchy government types will be far less likely to expand into tribal territory without a pre-existing claim. *Note: this behaviour is not an absolute rule*
Antagonist AI is now appropriately horrifying

# Other
AI will no longer be blocked in their missions by complex tasks
AI will now change missions after 60 years following the same one

###################
# Interface
###################

# Mapmodes
Removed the river Region/Area names to clear up the associated mapmodes

# Tooltips
Game Concepts and tooltips added to explain major mechanics

# Unit Models
Each culture group now has a seperate Levy and Legion model

# Other
Available casus bellis are now displayed in the diplomacy view
Characters can now be searched by textbox across all countries
Cohort information breakdown moved to the Ledger
Sacrifice button localization no longer fails to account for non-pantheonic religions
Loading quotes revised and expanded with more high-quality doom and sass from the past!

###################
# Usermodding
###################

# Triggers
Changed 'country_culture' trigger name to 'primary_culture'

# Other
Added script support for Legions
Added GetCulture('tag') and GetCultureGroup('tag') loc promotes
Added GetLegionDistinction('key') loc promote
country_culture event link now works
Inventions can now have effects on adoption
Military traditions can now have effects on adoption
Sea territories are now assigned to areas
Impassables now have their own terrain type
max_amount can now be defined for any building

###################
# Script
###################

# Achievements
Added 10 new achievements

# Decisions
Added 9 Anatolian formables: Lycia, Caria, Lydia, Cabalis, Milyas, Pamphylia, Lalasia, Isauria, Pisidia
Added decision for tribes to gain extra capital civilization for a price
Tweaked territorial requirements for Reunite Alexander's Empire decision
Added decisions to install Philokles of Sidon and Eunostos of Soloi for Diadochi

# Events
Reworked ‘Antigonid Cause Wavers’ events and the splitting of the Antigonid kingdom
Added regnal name events for Egypt, Seleukids, Pergamon, Bithynia and Mithridatids if ruled by the relevant family - long live Ptolemy XXIIV
Characters can now die during battles, not just after battles
Reworked Mithridates event chain, a new kingdom is now created in Paphlagonia and can annex Pontus diplomatically - player can start as either Kios or Pontus
Added option to boost Antigonos’ health for a price in his opening event
Clarified happiness impact of family adoption event after annexation
Pergamon is now playable via an option in the ‘Antigonid Cause Wavers’ event
‘Granary Fire’ event now only targets territories with granary buildings, destroying them
Added outcome of ‘True Weather of the Soul’ where Thrace annexes part of Macedon
Added Espionage interaction events for stealing technology and sabotaging legions
Added an event chain for Egypt on the Athenian Tragedies
Increased cooldown of city sacking events to prevent cash farming
Added costly Ptolemaic dynasty event to optionally acquire Blood of the Argeads trait
Researchers with Scholar, Intelligent, Obsessive, and Polymath traits have a chance to generate additional innovations over time. This effect can stack, and will show up when assigning research positions
‘Scientific Breakthrough’ now correctly describes tech progress as a percentage

#Missions
Added bypass events to the generic infrastructure mission tree

# Setup
Updated map in Greece, Anatolia, and Phoenicia
Added starting trade routes for Antigonids, Macedon, and Egypt to help with their economy, mostly with their own subjects
Added new tags in Anatolia, Black Sea, Adriatic, Paeonia, and Balearics
Split Bithynia and Cappadocia regions with new region of Cappadocia Pontica
Removed Pontic culture from Anatolian group (merged with Cappadocian) and renamed Greco-Pontic to Pontic
Added Pisidian, Milyadian, Oroandian, Cabalian, Lalasian, Cennataean, Morimenian, Cataonian cultures to Anatolian group
Moved Bithynian and added Mariandynian culture to Dacian group
Added Talaiotic culture to Occidental group
Added Paeonian culture to Illyrian group
Added several major rivers
Added many missing historical characters

# Other
Boni and Traditionalist parties will no longer disapprove of attacking the same religion or culture, instead balking at truce-breaking
Updated some laws and tooltips to better accommodate monotheism/Judaism
Royal Marriage Character Interaction can now be used on children above the age of 12, with the marriage events firing once both parties are 16
Assassinate character interaction renamed to Assassinate Rival, and can now be used on the target directly, as long as they are a rival of the ruler
Tutor character interaction can now be used on a child directly, and for any close relative of the ruler or the ruler themselves

###################
# Bugfixes
###################

# Code
Best possible province capital will now be picked when annexing a province
Fixed on_becoming_adult on_action not firing
Threaten War and Demand Military Access actions now work as advertized
Fixed some missing line-breaks and names in tooltips listing modifiers
Fixed Dismiss button not working for Researchers
Fixed stability cost of integrating a culture remaining even if that culture no longer existed
Fixed changing resolution on Linux making the game unplayable until restarted
Fixed battles against barbarians not accepting reinforcements
Fixed Mac crash after a few years of gameplay
Fixed ‘Occupation’ war exhaustion modifier appearing on declaring war
Fixed glowing borders sometimes not disappearing

# Script
Fixed the Optimates party disliking that you gave holdings to family heads
Fixed the Olympic games events sometimes not firing
Fixed infants arguing their corner in senatorial war councils and being used as scapegoats in trials
Fixed limit to number of Bloodline traits inherited by eligible children
Fixed wrong territory being targeted in the Athenian ‘Hekatomnid Legacy’ mission task
Fixed wrong claims given on formation of Assyria
Fixed Naval Parity Roman mission task requiring only 1 more ship than Carthage instead of 20
Fixed ‘Mutiny!’ event being able to target mercenary generals
Fixed Rome being able to make Ancona a feudatory despite differing culture groups
Fixed broken goto button in Unfriendly Neighbors event
Fixed wrong characters referenced in ‘Wild Oats’ events and ‘Scandalous Dominus’ events
Fixed ruler appearing on both sides of the 'Unconventional Politics' event
Fixed a missing portrait in the event 'Bountiful Harvest'
Fixed rulers receiving loyalty modifiers in some events
Fixed several cases where settlements were referred to as cities
Fixed Clan Chiefs complaining in the ‘The Neglected’ event
Fixed mercenary characters appearing in ‘Veteran’s Due’ and ‘Scholar of the Divine’ events
Fixed cases where local instead of global happiness modifiers were used
Fixed cases where the wrong party’s approval would be changed
Fixed negative tribal subject opinion modifier after reforming to a monarchy/republic
Fixed many typos and text overflow issues
Fixed some character loyalty modifiers not being cleared when moving country
Added some extra checks to reduce the chance of mercenaries being chosen in events where they could be given loyalty (as Mercenaries are always at 100 loyalty)
Fixed cooldown of the ‘Gratitude’ tributary subject event
Fixed ‘Word from Syracuse’ Roman mission event not starting a war
Fixed Epirote Macedon not being eligible for Antipater’s Dream achievement
Fixed multiple families of almost the same name in Anatolian countries
Fixed ‘Massaesylian Menace’ mission task for Carthage being impossible if they are already removed from the map
Fixed Governors and Generals demanding Offices in the ‘Political Ambitions’ event
Fixed some cases where numbers in tooltips had too many decimal places
Fixed ‘Suppression of the Massyli’ event firing for Carthage when already at war with Massylia
Fixed issues with ‘no other diplomatic tasks ongoing’ checks in Epirote mission tasks
Fixed disloyal subjects joining scripted wars which they otherwise would not
Fixed inconsistent place names in mission tasks
Fixed characters taking loyal veterans with them when moving countries
Fixed Clan Chiefs taking the Demanding an Office scheme
Fixed ‘Adriatic Opportunities’ Roman mission task making feudatories of another culture group

# Setup
Fixed missing section of the Euphrates
Fixed some lakes and shores not being on the painted map
Fixed bad Latin and Greek in some territory names
Fixed references to yet unborn Roman emperors in some territory names
Fixed Antigonos’ half brother’s mother being the wrong character
Fixed Salluvian culture being called Alluvian
Removed impassable in Egypt’s Eastern Desert which would not be colored
Added territory in India to avoid uncolorable impassables
Fixed Trapezous starting at tech 0 instead of 2

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Karanas posted:

How do you get new governorships? I started a game as Rome and took most of the Italian peninsula but the only governors I have are for Latium and Magna Graecia who control all the land between the two of them.

You conquer more regions. There's only one governor per region:

One that note, oh my god this game is so complicated getting back into it. I started as Armenia which seemed easy enough, but even that is seeming overwhelming.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

toasterwarrior posted:

I want to get back into Imperator but I understand there's an issue with levies and culture right now that needs a hotfix?

AnEdgelord posted:

Someone posted about it up thread, but I must be honest, I don't understand what the issue is and I haven't noticed anything that would affect my enjoyment of the game so far.

Same, apparently it was a coding mistake but about army composition? I didn't notice anything bizarre while raising levies honestly, but I was also trying to relearn Paradox's most complex game after putting it down for a few patches so I was occupied. Doesn't seem like a game breaker even though it needs fixing, I wouldn't put off a test run because of it.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Fuligin posted:

I think you just get an event to let them take over the dynasty if you start as Pontus

I think this is the main problem with this game right now. What if you don't want to play as Pontus

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

CharlestheHammer posted:

Why would you want to form the Pontus kingdom but not start as Pontus

I don't want to play as loving Pontus!!

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
So after playing this game for another few hours, this is what I think so far.

First off, I just wanted to say I'm enjoying playing it. Now that that's out of the way, it is far too buggy for a game that's been out for so long. I'm hoping a lot of the bugs get fixed soon, but aside from the game breaking ones listed earlier in this thread there's a ton of small annoying bugs, like territories staying highlighted and lists appearing where they shouldn't.

What makes this game different than before is that I still have lots of problems with the UI and bugs, but now the drive to come back and keep playing is much stronger. The internal management is particularly addicting, to the point where I will often put off conquering too much simply because I enjoy expanding slowly and making small fiddly adjustments to the provinces, making sure the people in the republic/kingdom are satisfied enough and making sure people all have the right job. The pops are really great, and having to passively influence their performance is fantastic. I haven't gotten into a civil war yet, but I'm curious as to how that's going to function exactly. There's a lot of stuff I still don't really know or understand about this game truthfully, but it is certainly addicting so far.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Beamed posted:

Gave a game as Parnia->Parthia a shot. An event fires shortly after you've unified the steppe that lets you declare war on the Seleucids and gives them a massive stability penalty. I figure what the hell and click it, and it also unites Parthia for me, which is cool.

However, the levy system means this is a terrible idea. You can win all the battles in the world, but Bactria+Seleucids just freely occupy your provinces, and that war has a unique cb where they permanently seize your land for the Seleucids on occupation :psyduck:

Guess this 1.0 release is still a typical Paradox 1.0 release.
e: forts don't push ZoC across borders, so they can just never occupy your forts and occupy the rest of the country with their million-micro stacks, while you lack a "split army" button. Jesus

You should be able to split your levies. They stay separate but they are commanded by the same person, whoever the governor is of the territory they were raised from.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

AnEdgelord posted:

2. How do I found a city outside of events? I have to do one for a mission tree and I don't really understand what I'm supposed to do to actually make that happen.

Click on that piece of artwork. It's a button. No I'm not sure how you're supposed to figure that out either, took me ages.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Once I unite the Dahae tribes and get the event to form Parthia and declare war on the Seleukids, assuming I'm able to get enough warscore to really do some damage, what should I be trying to get out of the peace deal? I assume transferring overlordship of Bactria to myself would be the right call, but I have the feeling it's not going to be easy to get them to like me enough to integrate them. I basically want to do the most damage to them as possible, hopefully crippling them before their stability gets a chance to rise back up again. Any good ways of making that happen?

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Beamed posted:

The war you get via. event that gives you a bunch of bonuses/them a bunch of penalties has land transfer on occupation, but not with Bactria, so your plan should be to focus on Bactria while defending your own land until you have all their armies off the field, then you can just.. eat the Seleucids in a single war. Take the richest parts of Persia, take a breath for AE, rinse, repeat. It's also important to block Maurya off from the Seleucids otherwise they'll just declare war and take everything.

oh my god

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Byzantion got involved in like a 15 year civil war that completely depopulated it. I tried to conquer them but I wasn't able to, because as soon as I won any siege it would completely uncolonize the territory.

I mean it's less AE but it's just kind of sad you know? :smith:

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
There's an Oratory idea that reduces corruption as well. Even if your government type doesn't have an Oratory slot, it can be put in there anyway, usually the government bonus isn't that great especially in emergencies like those.

Also, I recently found out that those modifiers are country wide. So if you increase wages or take that Oratory idea, every character in your country will start to have their corruption tick down. At least, to that character's base corruption level.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
This is a bit of a technical question but I'm not very good at computers so I wanted to ask modders/coders: what would be the best/easiest way to get a PNG file of a nation's coat of arms/flag? Something like this:

I have been looking through the game files and opening the console command and trying to figure it out from there but after a hard crash I worry about wrecking my game copy and needing to reinstall.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Please, if Johan/anyone is reading this thread, please do a massive bugfix before starting on any new content. I started a game as Carthage to test something, along the way I used a mission that Carthage specifically gets to change from an Aristocratic Republic into a Plutocratic Republic. Things were going alright, until I noticed that I was losing Political Influence every month because of a "Disloyal Co-consul". Which was weird because Plutocratic Republics don't have Co-consuls. I decided to ignore it until a character came up to me demanding a position in the government or he riots. I was looking for a place to put him when I realized I couldn't assign him anywhere because, surprise, he was the Co-consol! But because his position didn't technically exist he was going to rebel unless he got a position. But you can't dismiss Co-consuls. And this wasn't some because of some whacky decision I decided to implement, again I got this government change from the mission tree designed for Carthage.

It kind of annoyed me so I decided to vent by playing a Rome game. I annex Syracuse and imprisoned their leaders, but then I got a notice that there was an important character imprisoned abroad, making my stability decrease. I click on it but it just brings me to Rome's blank diplomatic page, because apparently he was imprisoned in my country. Okay, easy fix, I go to prison and release him. My stability is still going down, and it still says he's imprisoned in a foreign country. I go to the characters page and search his name. There are two identical copies of this character, both free from prison and living in Rome. And my stability will keep going down forever until ???

Seriously I'm really liking the bones of this game but god stuff like this can get really get the blood boiling.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

And both are from the character system, which is unfortunately the worst part of this game. It's wrangling a bunch of assholes like in a big CK country but for every single nation, and they're all faceless nobodies who can't do anything interesting but spam with why they're pissed off this week.

For what it's worth, I actually kind of enjoy the character system now that I have the right mindset. You're not playing your leader, you're playing your country, but there's a whole bunch of little assholes in there that you have to try and balance so the country doesn't collapse. Including the leader, hell, ESPECIALLY the leader. And they're not all faceless, it was certainly interesting putting a talented commander for my legion who got drunk with power leading to me trying to keep civil war from breaking out for decades because of his power base.

My problems with the game right now are like 80% just the bugs. The other 20% is probably defensive leagues when you aren't playing a large/powerful country.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Just wanted to confirm this: is there any difference between the Hellenistic Empire and the Argead Empire besides the name and the requirements to form them?

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

White Coke posted:

No. It’s just whether your ruler has the Argead bloodline or not.

Got it. I was able to kill my son's wife and get him hitched with an Argead bloodline lady so that's going well so far.

I've been playing as the Antigonids, and oh my god, the amount of micro is taxing on my mental health. Eventually the Seleukids went "Hey do you just want a peace deal where you take like 35% of my empire" and I ended up accepting it. In my defense, I was getting massacred by the Egyptians at that point, who for some reason decided to do a regular conquest CB instead of the LoA CB, which was quite fortunate for me. Macedonia I barely even touched, just let all my feudatories handle them. Eventually I had to raise the Macedonian region levy because the vassal swarm got in some sort of endless loop where they weren't actually sieging anything anymore. Thrace went down real easily.

Also, in case anyone else is absolutely insane and wants to do an Antigonid run, you can subjugate basically every minor nation remotely close to you as long as they have Greek culture. They'll all accept feudatory status if you send them a gift and ally them. Oh and also, you don't need to lose Cappadocia. The event where you lose them only fires if this character called "Ariarathes Ariarathid" is living in Armenia. If you befriend him, then you can recruit him to your kingdom instead, and Cappadocia stays as your client state.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

White Coke posted:

Is there any way to get Macedon to surrender Corinth, or is it just an option for human players to pick?

Just took a quick look at the game files, it looks like Macedon has a 99% chance to go to war over it and a 1% chance to give it up, regardless of any other factors. So it doesn't seem likely.

While I was looking through the files, if I was reading it correctly it looks like if Macedon decides to go to war with Antigonids, Egypt has a 40% chance to declare war, a 55% chance to demand territory, or a 5% chance to completely back down (not so uncommon, it happened in my most recent game). The Selukids on the other hand have a 0% chance of backing down, they will either demand territory (20%) or just declare war (80%). It was difficult to figure out Thrace, but they should be easy to take out as a human player so long as you use the Diadochi CB.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Heard about this earlier, kind of a punch in the gut as I've been playing it a lot lately. I know they're not saying for sure that it's gonna be shelved permanently, but the fact that they're basically asking people to be prepared for that possibility is not good news.

But now that the bugfixes that I assumed were right around the corner don't seem to be coming, does anyone use any bugfix mods/QoL mods for 2.0? I've been achievement hunting lately but in case I want a nice relaxing game where systems work like they're supposed to (what is even going on with relics) I may start playing with them.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Communist Thoughts posted:

i'm fairly interested in playing this, any tips or good places to start as?

i dont really wanna be roman

Bosporan Kingdom is a decent one, it's up by the Crimean Peninsula. There are small states near you to gobble up, you're far enough away that Rome probably won't pester you, and it's unlikely that any of the Diadochi will hassle you unless you hassle them first. There's also plenty of uncolonized land by you so it's a good opportunity to learn how that works. Plus it's got a decent heritage.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Beefeater1980 posted:

I would imagine that given the issues with their flagship product EU4’s latest DLC, there’s probably a mad scramble now to figure out how it happened and make sure it doesn’t happen again. Well that’s my optimistic scenario.

This is pure conjecture, but since this has apparently been going on for a while before Leviathan was even released, I'm guessing they saw what the team did for I:R and thought their talents could be used to make Victoria 3 better. And they would be absolutely right about that, but I wonder if these systems could really be brought into a 19th century setting.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Wow, THIS is something to keep an eye on. Thanks for the tip!

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
I'm thinking about doing the Ashoka's Pillars achievement, but I have a question for anyone who may know the Mauryas better than I do. Just from personal testing I found that it is pretty easy to convert to Buddhism near the beginning of the game, so long as you bank Political Influence. This seems like a perfectly fine way to do it, this way you can start converting your provinces more quickly and the characters in your nation get pissed before you get the new heritage that lowers your civil war threshold insanely low. However I know that historically the Mauryas converted to Buddhism, and I heard that there is some sort of event chain to convert naturally. However, looking around I have been unable to find any of the details of that event chain. If I can trigger it early enough and not have to spend the political influence, the stability, and possibly have more characters in my empire convert over at once, then I may want to wait for that. Of course it all depends on the details of the event chain (if it even exists), if I have to wait for my third ruler to take power before converting it may not be worth it...

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

MonsieurChoc posted:

I wanna give this game another shot now that it has a ton of patches and dlcs. What's the best start for the Perfidious Albion cheevo?

Brigantia. The Brigantic culture starts off with 97 pops, which is absolutely pathetic, but it's far more than any other culture on the larger of the two islands. Plus it's nice and centrally located. Make sure to integrate Hibernian culture, it will make the colonization of the vast wasteland of Ireland much easier.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

MonsieurChoc posted:

Played as Brigantia and Epirus yesterday, and wow it's amazing how much the game wa simproved since last time I tried it.

I got a whole bunch of questions about mechanics though haha.

Well feel free to ask them here, this thread could use the activity.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

KDdidit posted:

Didn’t realize I had this game and starting it up. Have a lot of experience with CK2 and EU2 so I (think) I get those similar parts to IR. The pops part is new to me. I know I can’t expect a brief explanation of a Paradox mechanic, but is there a definite thing that I need to always attention to that may not be obvious when starting? Also I know there was a major rework sometime in the past, but if I find a good explanation of pops from before that time would it still be correct or was that something that changed?

So the wiki has a decent page about Pops, what the different types of pops produce and what keeps them happy and/or productive:

https://imperator.paradoxwikis.com/Population

One thing that isn't mentioned that changed in 2.0 is Levies. There is a basic explanation of levies here, but culture plays a large part of it. Basically, levies are similar to CK2 in the sense that it is a hard limit on your army size. Instead of it being based on holdings and buildings, it is based on how many non-slave pops you have of the "right" culture. You have a main culture which can not be changed, and every free pop from that culture group contributes to how many levies you are able to raise. However you can also integrate a culture, meaning you go to the culture tab and say they are allowed to be citizens now. From then on that new culture will also contribute levies (and research points!) to your nation, making your army larger. But the more groups you integrate, the larger your base happiness goes down on your main/integrated cultures. Unintegrated cultures basically just provide gold. Maybe manpower.

Also there's something called a Levy Size Modifier. There are a few ways to change that BUT the usual way is through passing laws. Also, you can't change the composition of the levy, for that you need to raise a legion instead. But the legion has a hard force limit based on your levy size.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Red Bones posted:

If I am conquering a region that has a different religion and a different culture group to my own, what's the standard approach? Am I meant to integrate the culture, convert all the pops, un-integrate it then assimilate all of them? Or do I just sit there and let it take ages and deal with the very low province loyalty and rebellions? If I'm Rome and I've just conquered the Po valley, or if I'm Carthage and I've just conquered the rest of the megalithic berber states in North Africa, what am I meant to do?

One thing that helps is trying to get a surplus of Olives, Fish, Precious Metals, and (if possible) Dyes in the capital. All of these things give global happiness for a pop type across the country, which will lower unrest. Don't worry about tribesmen, they promote/demote pretty fast. And if the pop group isn't large enough to justify integration then just try to keep happiness up, there are buildings and province imports that help with this.

Also, don't forget that there are many inventions that will give a flat increase to provincial loyalty regardless of the happiness of the population.

Also, just a side note, the Lepontic culture group in the Po Valley is the largest Barbarian culture group in the game. So if you are looking to get the Barbarian military traditions it is definitely a good idea to integrate them, your research efficiency will take a hit though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Wafflecopper posted:

I'll never finish a WC in EU4, but I've now done one in Imperator. Boom.

Just curious, did you end up building any monuments/wonders this run? If so, what effects did you choose?