Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

It’s Stellaris Mk2: fun to play for a bit and a solid framework with a bunch of bugs, questionable design decisions etc.

I’ve enjoyed it and will probably get a few days of play out of it before moving on until the first big DLC/patch. I’d say it’s worth the price of admission, but it’s definitely a judgement call.

One thing missing is a resolution to the fight animations. Rome 2 Total War did this better: there, the (very similar) animated fights end with one side winning. That’s jarring in how it’s missing from this game, and it’s a shame because this is hands down the most gorgeous fight scenes paradox has done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Thoughts so far, after playing two games for Rome to the end (and not getting much farther than Italy either time)

- I’m always out of Civic and stockpiling everything else.

- Haven’t figured out warfare yet. As Rome, I had good luck using 15 stacks of all HI (because that’s what 99% of your bonuses are for) but they are expensive and horrible for sieges, so I switched to the trick someone mentioned of a trailing siege legion of 10k LI and that seems to be helpful. Haven’t felt the need for LC or Archers yet - are they useful against any particular enemy?

- Is there a way to see how much food my province has?

- game feels a lot more rushed than EU4 / CK2. Like, you’re on a timetable, first to conquer as much as possible before someone else blobs up, and second to actually take land fast enough from the big guys before the game over screen. My second run I wrecked Carthage handily but couldn’t take enough land from them so every successive war was a grinding hellwar in which I had to conquer N Africa province by province.

- By the time I start loving around with Greece, Phrygia has usually guaranteed everyone. So any attempt to expand is going to hit an alliance of Macedon, Phrygia and sometimes also the Seleucids. So far in every game that’s been the big check on my expansion.

- I love the unit automation. When I’m rolling in cash it’s great to just grab some bunch of mercs and tell them “go defend”. Would be nice to be able to set regional targets tho.

- aaaaahhhh moving slaves out of Rome one by one when I conquer someone is a pain

- populists are loving awful, basically they are pod people, I start the game with 20 of them and then BAM there are suddenly 60 in the senate and everyone’s walking around saying “oh no Imperator, I’m a populist, I’ve always been a populist” and I have no idea WTF is going on except no bonuses and everything costs extra. Et cetera, gently caress populists

Game owns, having a ton of fun although there is without doubt a lot of polish that could be added.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

The real reason Rome acquired an Empire was to feed the nascent republic’s inexhaustible hunger for civic points.

Nervos Civicpointii, Pecuniam Infinitum

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

canepazzo posted:

Agreed, those are amazing. In fact, they should make all icons animal based. Civet for civic power?

Civet for populists.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Was Phrygia a powerful successor state in this period? I don’t remember reading much about it but it always seems like it’s guaranteeing the whole of Greece.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

He’s got a plurality though.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Jazerus posted:

timers are important for immersion. i know some folks treat paradox games as abstract board games but to me, pressing a button and getting instant results feels like playing as a god, not a government. governments make decisions and then wait to see what happens while those decisions are slowly implemented at the ground level.

Yes I like this, thanks for articulating far better than I could.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Jazerus posted:

timers are important for immersion. i know some folks treat paradox games as abstract board games but to me, pressing a button and getting instant results feels like playing as a god, not a government. governments make decisions and then wait to see what happens while those decisions are slowly implemented at the ground level.

Yes I like this, thanks for articulating far better than I could.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Sparq posted:

Well played Paradox.

Now I know I'm not going to be forming Gaul with Arvernia.

I get that the second flag is Obelix; is the first one Asterix?

E: Oh it’s his belt.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Let me tell you about a horrible rear end in a top hat called Publius Cornelius Sophus, a man so bad that to counter his influence, a war was prolonged for three years and thousands of innocents were enslaved or killed.

Publius is the head of the Cornelii. He is seventy-eight years old, jealous, crafty, wracked with gout and until last month was consumed by the need to befriend a woman 55 years younger than him.

When he was 20 I put him in charge of Magna Graecia due to his high finesse and it not at the time being obvious that he was a colossal prick. I must have missed that he had somehow already secured the loyalty of an entire goddamned legion.

For fifty years, Publius managed Magna Graecia; scheming, plotting and, as I kept on blithely conquering the south of Italy, quietly becoming the wealthiest and most powerful man in Italy. Then his dad died, and he was suddenly head of the family.

At which point his loyalty plunged down to zero and he started plotting a civil war, prompting me to check his personal power ranking and promptly do a double take. The guy had, on his own, somehow acquired 30% of all power in the Republic, just over the threshold for civil war. Worse, he was arrogant, incorruptible, and so astonishingly disloyal that there was no way to bribe him into acquiescence so I could get him out of the governorship and fend off the civil war.

Although the last bits of Magna Graecia had already been conquered, I hadn’t signed the peace treaty yet. Since he was in his 70s I figured he couldn’t have that long left, so the next few years saw me frantically invading bits of Illyria to keep his relative power down while I waited for Publius to go off to the great senate in the sky. After all, he only had a health of 17%. How long could it take?

So I waited.

And waited.

Turns out, he had the constitution of an ox (maybe he recovered from the gout?) It ended up taking the better part of a decade to get rid of the tough old bastard, and by the end of it I was so sick of it that when Carthage immediately declared war and invaded, I just let them have Sardinia and ragequit. I guess Publius won in the end after all.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Phoneposting, I wrote the post while travelling so I snapped the screen quickly before going out. That guy Publius is still an rear end in a top hat.

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 28, 2020

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

I think with games like this you need a lot of grounding in the game world and systems to really enjoy them. Once you have kind of learned the provinces and the families and the way a given country start usually plays out, it’s a lot more rewarding.

Like, I now know the major cities in Magna Graecia and roughly how much money to expect from them and so everything is a lot more...meaningful?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

What will change for city development now that high pop cities are being nerfed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

I would imagine that given the issues with their flagship product EU4’s latest DLC, there’s probably a mad scramble now to figure out how it happened and make sure it doesn’t happen again. Well that’s my optimistic scenario.