Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I'm trash so that game and every DLC that ever comes for it is probably already bought, to resist is useless.

The map looks beautiful and it's a ripe time period, but the thing I heard that has me a bit excited is a Vic 2 inspired population system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Well dial that excitement down because it really doesn't. It's got an EU:R inspired population system. POPs here don't change or move or consume or really do anything on their own here except grow.

Really it's closer to a form of EU4's development that you can kill or steal.

Well much like the awesome new house I'm renting that as of three days of signing the lease has water damage of an uncertain scope but is still nice, I'm disappointed but still content.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I'm just sad when I asked for Manichaeism representation in the game that one of the developers schooled me by explaining that Mani wasn't born until 216 AD, a full 500 years after the start date of 304 BC.

I'm really interested, and aside from a developer update showing non-secret religions, how they'll handle pre-Islamic Arabian faiths. While it seems they'll "North Africa" it by just lumping all the tribal beliefs of the region into a generalized aggregate, pagan era Arabia is a very heated subject in that part of the world because if I'm correct the narrative as per Islam is that it was a time of heathen idolatry. I don't know much of if or what controversy there was to CK2, the game about the crusades, when it came out so I may just be overthinking it. The wiki lists Arabian as:

"Religion in Arabia was a polytheistic mixture of deities, aspects and demons, practiced in localities and enclaves around the region. Allah, the Creator-God, may have been worshipped as the head of the pantheon during this period, in some locations."

Man, an option to trigger iconoclastic unification of the faith by a single enclave would potentially be neat.

Really, its the dead faiths that I've never heard of or am familiar with that I'm excited to learn about in the game and maybe outside of it if interesting as the one true faith, Zun.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

The religion system is ultra barebones, so prepare to be disappointed

Well, that is a shame, and along with the population system not being what I expected dampers my hype a bit (I just really need a new game for the most part).

So I've not watched any LPs because I sort of want the game as it is to be a fresh thing experienced when I can fully engage it, but I'm not a little lost as to what exactly the game is as a mix of EU IV and CK2. The brief byline for the game was about managing population, which is in the first post as well, but I guess I took that as VIC 2 when it was more the development system of EU IV by for a demographic and production/resource manage system.

Is there any news on how the military in this game is for quality? All I've heard is about generals and loyalty, which is cool, but I've always ignored CK2 army composition because reunites of the culture bound unit is usually all I need. EU IV is a game where I still can't understand everything beyond supply width even after reading about it many times, I always pull up some Reddit post that tells you what to do for given width.

I'm hoping it's something interesting, and I honestly wonder how a division designer style like HOI4 would be. In a weird way, Romans being so specific about their army in surviving texts and the fact that the legion was basically equivalent in numbers to a modern brigade, it's sort of like the Romans strongly believed in only using vanilla unit templates.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

cheesetriangles posted:

The game needs more make work positions for random families to have. I have way more families that need offices than filling. Currently I'm creating navies with 1 boat each and sticking someone there. There really should be congrats you are inspector for whore houses type role I can give to someone.

Keeper of the Swans, Master of the Horse, Court Calligrapher, or whatever the Roman era equivalent positions given to important family but mediocre people would be so nice.

Drone posted:

14 hours in and I think I'm mostly done until 1.1 hits in June (except for goon multiplayer anyway).

Game's pretty okay and has potential but there are a lot of kinks that need worked out, and someone needs to ... add more fun to it.

Edit: looking at Stellaris and HOI4's DLC release schedules for DLC, it looks like we can probably realistically expect some kind of DLC around the time of PDXCon 6 months from now. HOI4 got a proper expansion after around 6 months, whereas Stellaris only got a Story Pack (with a full-sized expansion taking around a year after release).

I think this game has a lot of potential and hopefully gets a better or more enriching DLC cycle than Stellaris or HOI4, which are good games, but I think their development teams got pulled for making Imperator which is why they seem a little less loved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Have the final improvements to the UI dropped yet, or are people still waiting for changes to fix up some issues with the new UI? I've been waiting to have it happen before starting a new game, and learning what appears to now be a mechanically very different game.