Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
If you ever played EU:Rome , it's the same game, more of less
It's just a gigantic map now, with looks fantastic fun to play on.. so much randomness =)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
They forgot to put in the best/most fun feature from EU:Rome

which was that when a civil war happened, loyal "rich" characters would raise troops with their own gold to support the state.
So, you'll get least have 1/3 the size of rebellion in fresh troops fighting for the state.
In long civil wars, you could even end up with more troops then what you started the civil war with =)
But with the downside that the new troops were loyal to whom raised them.
which might end in another civil war :p

Other then making Civil war a hassle now,
Manpower is a real hard to refresh.
Only besieging Forts should cause attrition, or difficult terrain.
The manpower loss of just besieging down a country is sky-high.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Communist Bear posted:

I've kind of realised a peculiar problem with this game...I don't know who I'm playing as?

You see, in CK2 I'd be playing as the character who is currently in charge - i'd then adjust my play style based upon the attributes of that character. In Imperator though i'm...not? Or at least when it comes to Rome i'm definitely not. I'm sort of playing some sort of quasi omnipotent figure instead. This wasn't an issue with EUIV, but that was because characters didn't really exist other than for min/maxing attribute numbers, but in Imperator the sort of merged aspect of having CK2 characters in it results in me not really knowing who the gently caress I'm supposed to be? Should I be my Counsel? What if I didn't really like my Counsel last character, but now suddenly I am him? It's kind of...confusing.

You are whoever is leading your nations, which can be changed out when a monarch die, or by vote in a republic.

I think that adding characters is super fun, even doh it's bare boned now. they need to have a much higher impact, especially in this time period, where a single person could be the golden age or death of a country.

edit: and yea, i'm playing mauyra in India now, and if you don't arrange marries your whole royal family, they woun't have children and civil war ensues lol.

Descar fucked around with this message at 10:40 on May 1, 2019

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
Since you can't have governors local troops in your capital province, Ironic enough it's the capital region that has the most unrest.
Nice one paradox.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
OK, this has to be a bug
when Pretenders to the throne raise an army in succession crisis,
when they take attrition, they use your manpower...

Just playing maurya, and having 2 pretenders with 50k troops each marching around in the jungle,
making me lose 4k manpower a month.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
Bitter Johan is the best Johan for Dev. Diary! Some needed sarcasm to spice it up.

anyway, the new changes looks good!

And Navigable Rivers has always been something i wanted, so that's sweet.
now, lets add Norway and Sweden, so i can play early Vikings. but no rush,

I'm properly one of the few that's having a blast playing Imperator as is anyway

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
What, there's already a Rome - Complete Soundtrack DLC lol

I'm a sucker who bought the deluxe edition, and it wasn't included lol, but really? ha ha no music for you!

Is someone trying their best to get negative review on steam or what!

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
This game is so uninformative, it's really damaging it.

So i had a disloyal clan chieftain, that was aiming for civil war.
Everything was fine, until my king died, and 3 other chieftain died in rapid succession, leading this disloyal dude to have 50% of the nation cohorts.
with 0 loyalty, i couldn't just bribe him either.

So i could either prepare for civil war, or give him his own country.
It did say he would form Maran, and take his family with him. but nowhere did it say what he would take.
So i checked if it was a region, no, checked if it was a province, nope.. i search, and i find a single city named maran.
With no other hints or clues, i think maybe he will take one city like the barbarians do, when you create a client state. so why not, better then a civil war right?

So one click, no warning or eye opener to what he will get, this dude just take half my loving country, about 1/3 of the landmass.
But not only that, the civil war countdown didn't stop somehow(maybe he took all the loyal provinces, i dont know), and a month later it breaks out, taking another 1/3 of my country with it.

Not only didn't I prevent the civil war, but I lost twice the amount of land. not to mention the border gore.

Btw, i was playing samartia, about 2500pops from english channel to the black sea, and this disloyal dude had about 150 cohort retinue.
now i'm stuck with 700+, and one hell of a cleanup job to do... it looks like 3 nations fused together randomly.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

The conversion thing works poorly from a historical realism perspctive but it's pretty nice for gameplay so I'm not exactly clamouring for a rework even though the end result is really dumb

It's is the -only- way to play, there's no other to reduce risk of civil war or rebellion then to culture convert all and everything.
Doesn't matter what options the provinces governors have, always put on culture conversion, even in your capital (because of influx of slaves)

But it's fun to check the culture map, and see everyone is now one monopolistic culture, instead of all the flavors you have at start.
When you push people to become roman or whatever, everyone lives happy ever after hehe =)

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
Starving pops should maybe just migrate on their own, getting that message is annoying, and not much I can do to solve it.

This is the time of large migrations, and starving might have been a factor when people decide to move.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
I hope paradox looks into the manpower <-> pops balance

Atm, I'm playing as sarmartia, migrated myself to a great power by 500, 50 years into the game.
I have a standing army of 505 cohorts now, with about 250 in retinues to various clan chiefs,
the rest i got from dead chiefs, disassembled most of it, so i only have horse archers left.

I got 550k manpower sitting around, as i havn't been in any real war, with potential to go up to 700k.

Just maybe, cohorts should represent a freeman/tribe or slave pop.
I read that vic2 has something similar, but haven't played it.

But right now, i have a standing army, bigger then maurya, seleucid, phrygia, egypt, macedon, rome and carthage combined.

The retinues just continues to grow, with the biggest having 154 cohorts alone.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
My most rebellious area is my capital region,
because screw you if you want garrison governor troops there!

hohoho says the paradox troll...

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
Will paradox add more jobs, and lower the wages next patch?
The amount of scorned families are doubling every century... and i can't afford more jobs anyway..

Just thinking openly, Didn't Caesar control more then one legion, more like 10?
How about adding some sort of HOI command structure to the UI, like Caesar as Field Marshall/Imperator?, controlling max legions/fleets equal to his martial skill under his command with associated general.
Giving each legion the martial skill of the general + half of the Marshall.

Same with Regions, you could have a Region governor giving bonuses, ruling over provinces with statesmen, and with local legions with associated generals attached.

Suddenly, you'll have a lot more flavor, and easier to figure out and understandable friendships and rivalries.

The amount of cities on the map favors alot of small armies with one or two main armies hunting down resistance.
Having hordes of small armies without command seems silly. and you can't afford to attach a general to them, cause the wages will bankrupt the state.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Fellblade posted:

They managed to make Wiz and Jake look like menacing villains so this guy had no chance from the start.

They did what? Wiz & Jake are fun to watch.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
when does it update to cicero?

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Gort posted:

So, trying this game again now that we've got a new patch. Playing Rome because the title of the game implies they have the most effort put in. Thoughts so far:

* Rome gets a ton of free claims after month one, so don't make any alliances or fabricate claims until then.

* I don't understand military stuff at all, beyond basic poo poo like terrain and supply limit. Do I want my army to be a third light infantry, a third heavy infantry and a third cavalry like the starting Roman army is? How many units should I have? What's this counter for how many units to put "on the flank"? Why is the centre of my battle line entirely composed of archers, that doesn't seem right.

* There don't seem to be alerts for extra nations joining a war against you. I had a war against the Sabines (a small country to the North of Rome) and with no notifications at all I ended up at war with three extra countries on top.

I'm gonna have another go at it, this time turning Iron Man off and doubling the size of the Roman army to three legions of 4/4/4 light/heavy/cavalry and see how I do.

About the military:

Light Infantry is the worst, but the cheapest and takes little supply. They have their uses as a siege army, but not in battles, unless you can outnumber/overwhelm your opponent.
Everything else is better, and horses are the best. you can check their specific counter and build accordingly depending on what the AI has/builds.

small nations are usually guarantied by other nations, or in alliances, so check that before going to war.

Haven't played since launch myself, But the patch looks good so far, will test it today.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

V for Vegas posted:

Great patch, feels like there are more character based events and interactions? I hope that they lean into that more for future updates.

Same here, the more internal drama, the more the nation feels alive.

Playing as migrating tribe now, and so far i noticed :

- Retinues are a lot smaller, instead of getting 50k troops, they stay on 6-9k, free troops but mostly useless.
- due to retinues being so small, unloyal clan chieftains aren't a threat anymore and -
- every civil war i had as a tribe before, was because of unloyal retinues that accounted for more then 1/3 of my army, they don't even come close now.
- stability at less then 1, but my tribe has never been more stable. (you use stability to migrate)
- Barbarians never settle, or wants to settle, no matter what. (they always used to want to), so no more troubling free pops to rise your population like i used to.
- Migrations are now faster then before, which is good.
- treasury is mostly positive, but still can't afford new inventions or buildings.

I'd like to see how this patch plays in multiplayer, see if all empires are still as stable as before

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Drone posted:

Is there a button somewhere I'm missing that raises centralization in exchange for PP when playing tribal, or does centralization only raise by random event effects?

You have a lot of laws that you can change what will increase centralization for PP & stability.
and maybe some Government Interactions.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Jazerus posted:

cultures basically didn't shift very much during this period, mediterranean empires didn't enforce their own culture on their conquered territory

Cultures mostly only shifted with movements of populations, as in migrations or colonizing new territory, or founding new cities. (veteran warriors settle on won land comes to mind)

let's say in game, in Alexanders old empire, culture shifts should need a Greek pop in the territory nearby to make the locals to shift.
Republics and monarchy's could ex establish new cities from their home country to culture spread, while tribes gives better/more fertile lands to their own clans by moving their people.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Was just really getting into my Rome game and . . . game ends.

Huh. This might be the shortest Paradox game I've played in a while.

yea, that's super weird, why not include the Roman empire time, to about the fall of Rome, say 500.
We already start the game with a lot of Super powers, that are just waiting to fall just like Rome did, with internal civil war/migration/invasions..

Btw, what's the easiest way to post images here, if i want to make a effort post?

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

I:R doesnt model most of the Roman conquests pre-Empire, why would you expect it to also try to model the Roman conquests post-Empire?

But, it's "easy" to do the conquest the Romans did, and all the big blobs(Maurya, Selecuid, Thrace, Phrygia, Macedon, Egypt & Carthage) at start did fall within the game's time.
There's even a achievement for taking over the whole map, including India.
And it's good that the AI have a lot of randomness to it, makes each game different.

So, if you ignore Rome for a bit, the game is about conquest, getting as big as you can, before you have to deal with unbearable internal trouble, combined with invasions/migrations from outside.
It's just that the Internal management atm is a bit lackluster, but there's no reason to end so early.

Descar fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 1, 2019

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

People really loving hate AI "cheats" for some reason, as long as the AI handles its armies in the same way as the player I don't give a poo poo how it runs its economy, I just want it to be able to put up a fight.

Depends on what you give the AI,
-letting the AI ignore ex. attrition, while the player has to lose 3k men a month to it, is the worst buff they could give.
-Giving the AI free diplomat movement without wasting its Influence points on that, which the player would hardly notice at all, is good.

But i don't need a endgame challenge, like a huge Indian Maurya at end, it's much more fun to see big blobs go down in rebellions and Civil wars.
Right now i'm seeing that huge states are super stable, which i don't like. half the fun with paradox game is the random thing that happen in all their games, which makes their replay-ability fun.
If your not pushing expanding on a huge scale, and rack up the aggressive expansion to 50+, you will probably not even face a single internal problem atm.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I didnt miss that. It doesnt change the fact that it doesnt matter how much food you have, if it snows/rains a lot/its super cold/you're standing the middle of the Sahara for weeks on end/disease breaks out in your army, you lose men. Food doesnt fix those things.

What? if you have decent shelter, water & food, doesn't matter where you are, your fine.
The point being, that it's harder to supply troops during winter, or in the desert, that will first strike your "food" first, then your troops.
It's silly that troops that just stand around lose 1% during winter months ex.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

I wonder how this will affect attrition on boats? It was always annoying losing a few thousand men because I decided to sail uneventfully from Rome to Carthage.

Probably just stack up on supplies at port, same as armies with friendly provinces.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
1st massive Rebellion i had, summary,

Rebels :
- 20% of my provinces are unloyal, mostly because of aggressive expansion
- they split up into 10 new Countries, some small, some big
- they are all in recently conquered lands, that i have just burned/carpet sieged my way through, I even razed all the fortresses when i annexed them.
- they are all tribal, so gets 3 chiefs with retinues about 5k each and a free fortress in their capital.
- this happened exactly 40ish months after i annexed them
- poor population just forgot what just happened to them.

Me :
- 5 chiefs with 15k retinues, mostly veterans from the following wars i just had.
- 150k horse archers outside the retinues, sitting right outside/inside the rebellious provinces i just annexed.
- sitting on 420k reserve manpower
- have positive income, no problems in the nation whatsoever(except aggressive expansion), is at peace.

Oh no, what will i do.... this is like telling the HUNS to come a 2nd time....
Maybe rebellions should happen when the host nation is at some sort of trouble? like civil war/exhausted manpower from war against a rival giant? or at least when I'm at war...

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

Well that’s kind of annoying. I got all the conquering and colonising for Perfidious Albion done with a few years to spare, but turns out you also need to be a kingdom, which requires 50 civilisation in your capital. Not sure how that’s even possible before moon year 500 as a tribal considering that afaik there’s no way to get it that high without a few tech levels.

seems like you forgot the hard part of it :)

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
Is there a way to boost the loyalty of provinces that are unhappy?
After beating down the 1st rebellion, the people insist to rebel again, even doh it was a smashing victory for me.
or a way to just burn down the settlement and wipe out the people there... there should be a lesson here somewhere...

3 years after 10 nation rebelled & reconquered. they want another go at it.
It's just that Rome joined in, and attacked me also, and lost. which took me the last 3 years to win after the last rebellious nation got slaughtered.
So, now I'm finally at peace again, and the rebellion "ticker" just started again.

Just, I have now Gained another 100k manpower, from 420 --> 510
and I have now 200k seasoned veteran horse archer/heavy cavalry army, just itching to get into action again.
Oh no, what will i do.
but there just isn't a way to punish the rebels harder, so will probably happen again :/

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
Whoever made it so that pillaging/razing settlements gives you aggressive expansion, should try to play a tribe a few turns.

In my game, it's the only way to progress in tech, but i only get between 1-2 tech points per sack. but 2 AE.
So that 100-200 AE for each tech as a tribe... way too much.
Getting techs as a tribe is too hard as it is anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Dalael posted:

Also, has anybody ever won against Egypt? I just can't...

4 attempts at doing Nostre Mare, all failed because of that one god drat country. The first time, it had over 900 cohorts. That's not a joke. All other times, it has a lot less but no matter how much troop I land in egypt, I get crushed. Last evening I dropped 12 armies of 20 000 troops each. 5k Archers, 10k Heavy Infantry and 5k Equites each. I was annihilated. Egypt managed to beat all these armies in 1 stack. My troops retreated to the territory right next to where the battle happened so Egypt pounced on me a 2nd time and 12 of my best generals are now linguishing in Egypt's dungeons.

I am getting really frustrated.

Don't go 1on1, wait until they are at war with another country. preferable after they have lost most of their manpower.
conquer territory nearby their border, and wait on them to come, attrition kills almost as much men as battles atm.

I would say aim for egypt earlier, when they are rivals with phrygia.