Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Based off their recent history I'm betting the game isn't any good and will require at least 2 years and 3-4 major dlcs to be playable. But I'm a sucker and already preordered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

It doesn't matter how you pronounce these names :laffo: who loving cares.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I played a few hours and was struck by how much I hate the game. Most of the games system's just seem poorly thought though.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

How do I get the senate to approve an action? I see that they aren't voting in favor but I have no idea how to change their mind.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Is there a way to get rid of a family? If I happen to not need them anymore is there a way I can hunting accident them?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The game needs more make work positions for random families to have. I have way more families that need offices than filling. Currently I'm creating navies with 1 boat each and sticking someone there. There really should be congrats you are inspector for whore houses type role I can give to someone.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I know they said that people didn't want to deal with how many offices the Roman Republic actually had but I think if they are going to penalize us for having unemployed nobles they should just give us all those do nothing make work jobs. Inspector for monuments or whatever. The issue isn't the money they take it's the boring micro management assigning all that horse poo poo.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I think a feature I really want to see is assistant generals. Your Mark Anthony to your Caeser if you would. Even if the troops are all loyal to Caeser let my pal Mark split off a few stacks to go do a siege or something. It helps keeps people employed and makes gameplay sense.

The UI needs a big pass overall. When I am hiring someone for any job it should have a marker saying this person is from a scorned family. Instead of me trying to remember wtf this person was named and the name is different due to latin rules or whatever. Better tools to manage your cities would be nice as well. Especially with things like x number of pop's needed until new building. Don't make me guess just tell me.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Does the governor policy to increase income do anything other than make that general richer and why would I ever pick it?

Can a governor / ruler lead armies?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Can I get some advice on army composition? Do I want to stack my best troops or go for a mix do I want to favor heavy cav over light? ELEPHANTS?!!!?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So I backed up my save to try to form the Roman Empire and it involved doing basically nothing for 20 years but stockpiling money, mana and finding one guy to be my new emperor and make him as wealthy and popular as possible. I got my chosen hero popular by fighting a series of opm's and holding a triumph after each battle. I paid him huge sums of gold from the state treasury. When he became Consul I paid for the populist faction to get 60 seats in the senate which got me a hefty dose of tyranny. Then I had to change my election law over and over again because each time you change it you gain three populist senators. This cost about 2000 Oratory power total. Finally I could ...become a king??? and lose everything that made rome special such as laws and offices? Then I need to do another decision to actually become an empire that requires 600 cities?

This seems really dumb. First off it's impossible to actually enact the form a monarchy decision without exploiting the game because whenever you have more than 50 senators in a faction they trend downward and not up no matter how popular they are. Having to spend 20 years worth of power on changing your law over and over to actually get support can't be working as intended. And why do you become a regular kingdom before you unlock the decision to be The Roman Empire.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Playing as Rome and got real sick of Phrygia and Egypt being allied and also protecting Macedon so I did was what was only natural. Built a giant navy and blocked the strait crossing and proceeded to absolutely trash their armies as I slowly let them trickle across into my waiting armies. I lost about 10k men they lost about 200k and I lost not a single battle.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Somehow Egypt went from about 50 cohorts to 330 cohorts on only 3000 pops 170k max manpower. I suspect something funky with a series of revolts they had because it doesn't make any sense for them to have that many.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

All the mana regens too slow / cost too much in this game.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Firebatgyro posted:

Easiest way to lower unrest is to station troops.

Put an army in the province with no general, and then there is a button you can press that assigns them to the governor, which lowers unrest by a lot.

What. How did I not know this.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I think most of my complaints with the game are UI related. Information I want isn't always readily available and commands I want to perform such as related to trade are tedious to setup.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

My problem with the mana is it isn't really balanced like religious points are useful for gently caress all and I never have the civic or oratory.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Obliterati posted:

I think this still holds but it's control, not ownership, so capturing one side would do it

It's true. I war in a war and let the enemy cross to the side I controlled before moving my boats in and stack wiping their armies.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I hadn't played Imperator since one game at launch but game back the other day and find myself really enjoying the game. It's been a learning process to relearn the game and also get up to date on the new changes but it's been a lot of fun.

A small question though. Am I better off converting large settlements to cities and is there any reason I would want to leave them as settlements?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

loving Magna Graecia the region is so big and rich any governor I assign automatically becomes disloyal. I'm not sure what else I can do to keep the loyalty up.