Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

i must be the odd one out because i love the long unedited LPs and streamers.

looking at the list and the one guy i'd probably recommend is Conquering History Games, just from what i've seen of his kaiserreich stuff. but he definitely likes going into the history of people and countries as he plays, so if you hate that kind of thing you wouldn't like him.

honestly the things i'm trying to avoid from my youtubers/streamers are if they're super meme-y, super high energy (i make an exception for quill tho), or secretly being nazis

i don't mind if they're not great at the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

i'm trying to remember when stellaris and hoi4 unlocked on steam, but my memory is failing.

any chance we're playing some time tonight? like midnight cest?

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

bees everywhere posted:

Steam is telling me it releases 23 hrs from this post, so that would be about noon EST tomorrow.

boo!

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

it's exciting to be here. i remember that random steam sale in 2010 or 2011 that i discovered eu3. thought the game was mind blowing.

i never expected this studio and genre to take off in the way it did.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

one thing i'm gonna need is an endonym mod so all countries and tribes don't sound either latin or greek

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

sudo rm -rf posted:

one thing i'm gonna need is an endonym mod so all countries and tribes don't sound either latin or greek

some quick work on germanic tribe names that i'll probably put in a mod:

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

1stGear posted:

Lemovia = Glommas are you loving kidding me

this feels like an overreaction lol

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

1stGear posted:

Lemovia = Glommas are you loving kidding me

real talk this is like 90% complete guess-work

i was just going by this:

quote:

The archaeological Dębczyn group might comprise the remnants of the Lemovii, probably identical with Widsith's Glommas, who are believed to have been the neighbors of the Rugii, a tribe dwelling at the Baltic Sea coast in today's Pomerania region before the migration period.[4][5] Both "Lemovii" and "Glommas" translate to "the barking".[5] Germanic sagas report a battle on the isle of Hiddensee between king Hetel (Hethin, Heodin of the Glommas) and Rugian king Hagen, following the abduction of Hagen's daughter Hilde by Hetel.[4] Yet, there are also other hypotheses about the location of the Lemovii, and that their identification as Glommas, though probable, is not certain.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemovii

so i had the choice of a german 'lemovier' which still sounds latin-derived, or this other word from an old-english source. the latter sounds cooler so it won for me, haha.

honestly i spent about 10 minutes at most on the majority of these, so if y'all have suggestions, or are fluent in deutsch/norsk/dansk/svensk i'd definitely defer to another's expertise.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Davincie posted:

its friezen, not friesen

word, thanks

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I usually dislike these mods but I'm totally up for this one.

Now do the province names :suicide:

maybe, that will need to wait until the game comes out though

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

1stGear posted:

To be clear, I wasn't criticizing the quality of translation or anything cause I got no loving idea how any of those words can be pronounced. Just the perpetual incredulous amazement that a word can look one way in English and be pronounced so radically different.

Y'all need some of God's chosen tongue: American.

what's funny is that if we had better records or if the germanic tribes had a written language most of these would probably be even more different

it's basically just "what the romans called them" vs "what they called themselves", and we just happen to know a lot more about the former.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Magissima posted:

I love the idea but at least some of these are just modern (High) German versions of the Latin names, right? Aside from being anachronistic, it's not any more closely related to the actual autonym than the Latin.

yeah, definitely. i went with proto-germanic and old-norse where it was available, but as you can imagine, it's not for most of them.

it's not a claim to accuracy, it's more about invoking a feeling that you're actually playing another culture. it's hard to do that with everything latinized.

sudo rm -rf fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 24, 2019

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Koramei posted:

My stance is that if there’s one vaguely tangible benefit to putting however many hundreds of hours into these games, it’s that it helps you put into context those names you’d normally see devoid of it in a textbook or whatever. Which is completely nullified if you don’t use the standard accepted names.

you'd never see the vast majority of the names from imperator in a text book anyways because the -ia endings to denote "country of x tribe" is almost purely an invention of the game

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Horsebanger posted:

Who is starting Crete 2 thread?

maybe that's the secret project wiz is working on

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

germanic tribal name mod uploaded:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1723187904

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

either i'm really unlucky or these loving siege timers are messing with me

i think i watched a siege tick over at 42% like 10 times in a row without winning