Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

StarMinstrel posted:

The senate is loving annoying to control/steer properly. I have no feedback on why it decides to vote yay or nay on an issue and it's really annoying to be forced to stay at peace in a game that has nothing fun to do while at said peace. Gonna restart as either a tribal or a monarchy.

Click the senate hand and all factions will tell you why they view an issue like they do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

So I'm 9 hours in having done a few short campaigns as Aksum, Bosphoran Kingdom and Mauritania to get a feel for the game. I'm enjoying it a lot so far, especially the military system. I actually pay attention to what unit types I use and the terrain is super critical for winning a war. My main takeaway so far is that civil wars are the central game mechanic that glues together the consequences of your internal and external decisions and provides the main pushback to the player's ever growing blob.

It's a bit unfortunate then that if you have a large empire that isn't locked down with forts civil wars can become an instant frustrating hell war. This is because in a civil war if one faction looses its capital, it automatically shifts capital to the most populous city under its control. As a capital counts as a fort it immediately begins capturing any non-fort protected provinces next to it. So for the AI this can devolve into an endless whack-a-mole as the enemy capital jumps from one part of the empire to the next. This utterly crippled AI Scythia in my Bosphoran game (albeit I was supporting the loyalists and some other Greek colony in Bessarabia was supporting the pretender, plus a barbarian horde showed up at one point none of which helped matters.)

In my Mauretania game I was on the receiving end of the mechanic as I had run out of manpower and was using a mercenary stack to fight the war. I could have won easily except mercenary stacks can't be split up so I couldn't carpet-siege the enemy provinces. The mercenaries had to run back and forth until they captured the pretender and ended the war.

Also, in my Aksum game the pretender stacks had chariots in them even though Aksum uses the Arabic military traditions and can't recruit chariots.

Behaviour of capital forts will be fixed for 1.0.1 next week

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

New dev diary available detailing balance changes not coming in the next patch, but the patch after that (to be released in a couple months): https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/imperator-development-diary-29th-april-2019.1172430/

Huh. I dunno how to feel about this one. This makes excursions into enemy territory far riskier.

Wait, so the finesse rating currently does nothing? Then what determines how quickly pops are converted/promoted/assimilated by provincial policies?

Finesse.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

RabidWeasel posted:

Presumably because the pirate system in EU4 relies specifically on its trade system so Johan just defaulted to EU3 pirates that everyone hates, I think almost everyone would have preferred to just not have pirates at all

Having no pirates is even worse, as adding pirates then would only be seen as negative by the users.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

ilitarist posted:

From what I understand people get exhausted from trying to produce more and more content for those games. Civilization series is similar, no designer has made 2 civ games, and from what I understand they don't direct expansions after they've made a game

Back in the day we only made 1 game at a time, so we got some creative mindswitch between them.. but still..