Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Orv posted:

My favorite one of those ever was "Kiss Alpine Gaal."

Latin has no soft c, they were right.

e: Lost the pedantry race hard...

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Senor Dog posted:

Y’all got some weird FOMO issues if you are now refusing to play rome (the state) until some dlc comes out for it.

Just play it if you were wanting to , have fun, and play it again when that dlc drops in 3-6 months instead of chasing the ~optimal~ experience. It’s a video game chill out

Playing the same country twice is boring, and there's other interesting countries to play in the meantime.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Byzantion :v:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

TorakFade posted:

:siren: Patch 1.0.1 fixing the most egregious bugs and crashes coming out "early next week", and a more substantial 1.1 patch aimed for release in June :siren:

That just solidifies further that they kinda rushed this out of the gate. It was a surprise when they announced it coming so soon, but maybe, just maybe they could've waited a few more months to polish the new mechanics and properly integrate the stuff from the previous games at least :D

One of the big problems in software development is trying to figure out when to cut off the release and push everything else to the next one. There's always gonna be a few more months of polishing that can be done. These days, "release early and update with patches frequently" has sort of become the norm.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Mugsbaloney posted:

Is this worth getting?

No. Might be in a few months, but definitely not now.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Taear posted:

My civil war had someone else declare war on it. When the peace happened the bits that other side had taken remained theirs.
That's stupid! And something EU4/CK2 definitely avoids. Hell even CK1 avoided that after the beta!

Pretty sure you can declare on/take land from a CK2 revolt.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Azuren posted:

I'd say it peaked with Rights of Man and went downhill after that. Especially after Mandate of Heaven came out, any time I ever wanted to go back and play EU4 again I rolled back to 1.19. I'd be interested in seeing how the latest DLCs have sold for it, seems like a lot of folks got burnt out and quit buying it.

They mentioned in a dev diary that the sales have been going up steadily still. They also mentioned how little sense this made considering recent feedback was abysmal, hence why they're doing the year-long update/QoL thing.

E: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-18th-of-december-2018.1137741/

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 24, 2019

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

After trying Syracusae, I can't really recommend it. You basically end up railroaded into butting heads with Rome, who are then further railroaded into stomping you into jam because Rome is the special snowflake nation that doesn't lose ever.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I'm not sure what the point of provinces getting disloyal/rebelling is. It seems really hard to prevent, and I don't see much reason to try to prevent it either, since fighting a single province is usually trivial to do, and they don't appear to ever team up and rebel together. Even when multiple provinces rebel at the same time, it's just two piss-easy wars instead of one. You even get to reduce AE by .5 when you win by banishing their noble families. I feel like it's almost an optimal strategy to tell the new provinces you conquered to go gently caress themselves and not even bother spending any real effort integrating them.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Lucas Archer posted:

Saw this game had a major update and decided to jump back in and take a look. The new UI is very different, but I think I like it. The new missions interface is cool, it reminds me of EU4 missions, and I like having some specific attainable goals along with whatever other crazy stuff I can think of.

Can I just say I despise tutorials that don't mirror the game? Meaning, I was REALLY hoping the tutorial was changed so Rome didn't have the extra money and political influence. It changes how someone plays the game if they start with more resources, and therefore, it's useless in terms of learning the strategy of the game. I might be alone on this, but I think tutorials for grand strategy should not only teach the mechanics, but also the basic strategy on how to approach playing the game. If I start with 300 extra bucks than I normally would, then my perception of what I'm capable of doing at the beginning is warped.

I'm probably just tilting at windmills here and overthinking it, but that just bugs me.

Next time I play, I'm probably going to start a Carthage game and see what I can do with that. Gotta learn those naval mechanics.

If you want to learn navies, don't play Carthage. They start with enough boats to never care about anything other than just selecting one big group and right clicking where you want them to be.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Rock-a-bye Roma, on your hilltop
When the die's cast, your cradle will rock

When the truce breaks, your cradle will fall
And there's smothered Roma, cradle and all!

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Mantis42 posted:

You Syracusans, you make a desert and call it peace.

A desert is to good for a Roman :colbert:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Jabarto posted:

So can someone explain to me very basically how to keep senate approval up? I'm trying to get a Carthage game off the ground and I literally haven't done anything at all for the first decade because it stays at 45%-50% no matter what I do.

Also is there any benefit at all to playing a republic and being forced into a total doormat role like this?

Suck up hard to the traditionalists, then find some family head to be a whipping boy and revoke all their holdings. This should put Democrats to a consistent and sustainable 100 approval at the cost of the oligarchs being at 0 and a single pissed off noble that you can laugh at. I was able to consistently keep the Carthaginian senate at ~60% approval this way.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Pretty sure there's still no in-game chat, which is a big :psyduck:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Do I want my whole country to be covered by zones of control? These forts are getting expensive

Forts are basically useless if you actually plan on expanding your empire at all. Delete all of them the second you take over territory, since the AI inevitably has built a hundred of them everywhere.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Dorkopotamis posted:

Can someone link a good/not annoying LP that will teach my dumbass how to play this game in it's modern state?

I honestly would be surprised if there are any, both due to the general lack of popularity of the game, and the fact that it just had a big update that changed everything.

White Coke posted:

In my games they seem to love deleting forts as soon as they get ahold of any.

Lucky. I swear every 4 territory country I invade has 3 goddam forts in it.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

You should treat province revolts like you treat EU4 rebels, a trivial and entirely non threatening annoyance that’ll probably pop up in new territory you conquer eventually.

Sometimes, you can prevent them rising up, and that’s a nice extra, but there’s no need to go out of your way for it. It’s even free AE reduction when you put them down.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

trapped mouse posted:

This is pure conjecture, but since this has apparently been going on for a while before Leviathan was even released, I'm guessing they saw what the team did for I:R and thought their talents could be used to make Victoria 3 better. And they would be absolutely right about that, but I wonder if these systems could really be brought into a 19th century setting.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/mod-imperatrix-victoria.1410441/

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Republics are also a bit easier to game to keep high support. The character system really doesn't work well with them, though, and you really, really want to avoid short term lengths.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

KDdidit posted:

What's the mechanic that allows your land to get occupied in a war even without enemy troops stepping foot in it? A cursory google search says something about fort control, but I'm like 99% sure the enemy didn't have any occupied forts nearby. I thought it might have something to do with a port, but it doesn't seem to be that either.

I think forts also project a Zone of Control into enemy territory in Imperator, but I might be misremembering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

Someone pitch me a country to play/achievement to aim for. I'm a beginner and need to learn.

Syracusae, and try to strangle the Romans in their dumb overpowered cradle. That's what helped me to really figure out the game when I was trying things out for the first time.

You can also sit back and get a feel for how things work as them, but the Romans will come knocking for you eventually.