Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Did they explicitly say the timeline won’t move forward? I can only remember Johan saying the start date won’t be changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

Chomp8645 posted:

Ack!!!

Say it ain't so.

The reviews I’ve read so far basically say the opposite, assuming they’re talking about how generally minimal Stellaris was at launch. Even people like TJ Hafer, who’ve played thousands of hours of EU4 and CK2, seem to think it’s pretty intricate and demanding.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Paradox also partnered with the Many a True Nerd YouTube channel for a seven-part video tutorial series if people just need something for their second monitor at work: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4hR-M4rl7udcO3UOKpQl4JVPOxthhZT-

Anno
May 10, 2017

canepazzo posted:

So pops can die out - what happens if a city is emptied?

I think you have to recolonize it

Anno
May 10, 2017

Fintilgin posted:

I feel like religious/cultural conversion should be largely out of the players direct control and set by high level policy. Set a religious policy for your minority religion and over generations make slow gradual progress. I suppose, if you spend a shitload of effort you should be able to slowly convert some of the local nobility to 'Your Culture' over a few generations. Then, when you lose control of the province those dudes flee or are killed by the locals and you have to start from scratch. If you conquer large swaths of wrong religion/wrong culture provinces you should expect them to present a challenge for the length of the game.

Well it sounds like that will be the case to one degree or another come June.

Anno
May 10, 2017

For some reason monarch points didn’t bother me much in EU but kind of do here. I think it’s because this game has characters that could be much cooler if they did some of that stuff instead. I’d love to see more things offloaded to characters only.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I do think the process of waiting a long time for MP to accrue then cashing them in for instant actions can be amazingly unsatisfying, so I’m sympathetic to people who want to see those processes changed if possible. And they already have a great method for doing so with all these characters and families who don’t feel nearly prominent enough. Like I don’t know why I’m waiting for 200 oratory and then clicking a button to get a claim instead of appointing some person from one of my families as a diplomat or whatever and sending them off to make the claim based on their oratory skill. That opens up so many more interesting things that can happen down the line.

Anno
May 10, 2017

This week’s episode of the Paradox Podcast was a sit down with Johan to talk some about the production of the game but also some takeaways from the community reception. It’s an interesting listen

A lot of talk goes into discussing mismanaged expectations about what a “EU+CK+HoI” game means. I don’t feel like I’ve seen a ton of that but I’m sure they’ve looked at way more feedback than I have.

Anno fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 21, 2019

Anno
May 10, 2017

There’s definitely something different about this launch. Stellaris and HoI4 were taken to task for plenty of things at launch but both were still in the mid/high 80s in terms of Steam reviews at this point.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Ivan Shitskin posted:

In my current game a super charismatic populist started taking over the senate so I threw him in prison before he became too much of a threat

See this sounds like the start of a cool story for your playthrough.

quote:

then used a sacrifice to get stability back up.

But it ends in this gamey and toothless fashion because you have some super abstracted points laying around that can solve the problem.

Like I’m not zealously anti-MP, but this is definitely a situation where it sits really poorly with me. That should be a defining point in your campaign that’s resolved way more interestingly.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Ivan Shitskin posted:

I definitely agree that more could be done with that stuff but I do like the idea of it. Like it makes sense that if you have a strong religious leader he would be in a better position to placate the masses after you pull off shady poo poo like imprisoning party leaders for no reason.

For sure! But I just can’t abstract me spending 300 religious mana into that. Meanwhile you have an actual character appointed as the religious leader of your nation, right? I feel like he should be doing the placating, more or less well depending on his religious skill, and could fail and cause the local freemen pops to all rebel or something. Idk that just sounds more interesting in a way that uses your characters instead.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Wild. Brave move Johan, interested to see how this all shakes out.

RabidWeasel posted:

I really hope we don't get "send your <member of government> over to <country> for a while" mechanic for fabricating claims

Heck yeah bring on some diplomats please.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Senor Dog posted:

why do they only have two months?

I think they indicated on their timeline that it would be a September release. Obviously that could be pushed back and it’s almost three months technically.

As someone who is on the beta branch of all games at all times this is great, though. I hope they do this more often.

Anno
May 10, 2017

https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/1156605488618004486

Anno
May 10, 2017

jng2058 posted:

Thing is, you can sorta fix the setting problem with a couple of hours of work. I built 20 races and forced the game to use them and set the number of races in the game to 20. Now the setting is my setting. :shrug:

Yeah I did this too. I take 1-3 factions that made an impact on any given campaign and remake them as custom empires. So my list kinda grows over time and mostly consists of my most hated past enemies or best friends. It’s cool.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Along those lines, here’s a new dev diary looking at some balance changes and a couple mechanics changes.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Lucinice posted:

I haven't played this game since release. Are there any good getting started guides for the more recent patches?

Paradox just uploaded a 5-part tutorial series to YouTube. Haven’t watched it yet so I have no idea how in depth it gets or how much it covers new stuff, but it’s something.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Hopefully whenever this launches they're able to give the game a relaunch of sorts. They're obviously putting in a lot of work basically making a new game over the debris of the old, but I don't get the sense that it has much traction marketing wise. Cool of them to keep at it, though.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I wonder if Paradox is going to make any attempts at a relaunch alongside this update. Sure seems like it deserves one, they’ve put so much work into it.

Anno
May 10, 2017

RIP (for now?) little buddy.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Dnote replied further down thread that they’re just having a hard time hiring as many people as they need right now. Not sure if that’s because of pandemic restrictions in Sweden or what. So presumably people are being pulled from Imperator to reinforce other teams and then they’ll rebuild the Imperator team when they can get people hired, hopefully.

Sounds like a lovely situation and I hope they work it out. They could obviously do with a lot of extra people on the various PDS teams despite having expanded a lot in the last could years. Hopefully until then they start leaning more towards what’s going on with CK3 where people are complaining that content rollout is too slow vs. whatever the hell happened with Leviathan. That has its own complications being a new studio outside of the core, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

Presumably that’s one of the reasons they made this org change right? Hopefully, at least. Artists and writers make some sense flitting about but I imagine it sucks being a programmer or designer and having to move around much.