Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Michael Bell posted:

Would you go so far as to say that Nordic peoples shouldn’t get Valknut tattoos because that symbol also happens to be utilized by a large number of white supremacist groups?

Yes. What the gently caress is wrong with people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
Probably worth noting that Harold McNeill's last art credit for Magic was in 1994 and he doesn't do anything else game-wise these days, as far as I know. IIRC the last time I heard about him he randomly showed up to a con to sign cards and immediately got kicked out.

Which isn't to say that the dude isn't a gigantic Nazi-and-proud-of-it piece of poo poo, but you don't need to worry about accidentally buying anything with his name on it these days.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Cessna posted:

Yes. What the gently caress is wrong with people?

Hey I’m just wanting to support the proud aryan military tradition, don’t lump me in with nazis

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
As an appreciator (if not a participant) in the heathen Nordic aesthetic, I'm not above saying there's some wiggle room with ancient Norse iconography. I refuse to let fash just take whatever the gently caress they want from any culture they want without pushback.

Unfortunately, due to circumstances largely outside of our control this is a particular war that they've probably won definitively. So if you're going to employ Nordic runes, especially those that have been co-opted by the right, you'd best be open to criticism and have your explanations in line. We already have a word for people who "just use them because they look cool", and that's fash.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Lol sig runes aren't nazi.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Deified Data posted:

We already have a word for people who "just use them because they look cool", and that's fash.

Aww c'mon man, the sonnenrad owns bones
:rolleyes:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

As an appreciator (if not a participant) in the heathen Nordic aesthetic, I'm not above saying there's some wiggle room with ancient Norse iconography. I refuse to let fash just take whatever the gently caress they want from any culture they want without pushback.

Unfortunately, due to circumstances largely outside of our control this is a particular war that they've probably won definitively. So if you're going to employ Nordic runes, especially those that have been co-opted by the right, you'd best be open to criticism and have your explanations in line. We already have a word for people who "just use them because they look cool", and that's fash.

Time ran a pretty good article about this.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good thread. I'd like to bring up forums poster tallkidwithglasses, who has on several occasions expressed his unbridled love for the IDF. He once said "I can't decide whether I like them shooting to cripple or to kill better". I just found it a little strange at the time, but recently I learned that apparently the people being shot by the IDF may not all be bad guys?!?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Have a reply from GMG

quote:

Hey Z the IVth,

My official response is that I emphatically oppose fascism and while I was unaware of the politics or history of the person depicted on the T Shirt that does not excuse any offence taken from its depiction in my videos. I will remove the specific video immediately and search through any further videos involving the same individual to remove them as well.

Thanks for reaching out Z the IVth,

Ash

He's followed up as well and said all the videos are gone. The linked video from the OP is gone, but I don't know which other ones contain the HDM guy.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 22, 2019

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
That's awesome, well done on getting him on the record.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
drat that was fast. Great news and good work. I've updated the OP.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

As much as I like this idea, I don't know if it's possible at this point to reclaim it.

Facists who want to believe that their extra 300lbs of weight and neckbeards make them akin to medieval warrors aren't gonna let it go.

I say let them have it. There's plenty of other cool iconography in cuneiform, ogham runes, Coptic, imperial eagles (in the Byzantine/Russian empire sense) and you name it. Yeah, most of these people did lovely things, but none of that symbology is likely to get co-opted by current day terribe ideologies.

In the same way as Slaaneshi players who are insistent that big boobs are the only way to represent it (and identify themselves as people you don't want to associate with), I'm just as happy to know that the guy who styles his imperial troops like circa 1938 Hugo Boss is someone I should just avoid instead of being uncertain whether it's you trying to rep what it's actually about

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

Lol sig runes aren't nazi.

I would bet my house that any wargamer using them is using them because of the SS.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

TTerrible posted:

I would bet my house that any wargamer using them is using them because of the SS.

There's 0 doubt.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Hustlin Floh posted:

Good thread. I'd like to bring up forums poster tallkidwithglasses, who has on several occasions expressed his unbridled love for the IDF. He once said "I can't decide whether I like them shooting to cripple or to kill better". I just found it a little strange at the time, but recently I learned that apparently the people being shot by the IDF may not all be bad guys?!?

This is the sort of thing that will get this thread shut down. If you don't like someone report and ignore them.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

Have a reply from GMG

He's followed up as well and said all the videos are gone. The linked video from the OP is gone, but I don't know which other ones contain the HDM guy.

I did not expect the videos to come down. That's actually pretty amazing

TravisKeeler
Apr 23, 2019
Hey Everyone,

I'm the guy wearing the Duterte shirt in the original post. Let me say first: I should NOT have worn that shirt on Ash's channel, or ever. I do not, and never have supported Duterte. I know it's a funny statement coming from the guy wearing the t-shirt. Please let me explain my self.

I want to publicly apologize to Ash, as I really blindsided him with this whole thing. Not only did Ash not know who was on my shirt, but when he asked about it over lunch he didn't even recognize the name.

I know that many of you will say there is no excuse, but here is my defense. My wife is Filipino, and her family back home are big Duterte fans. They sent me that shirt from the Philippines, and it was cool to have because I've still never met them in person. At the time of the recording I knew that Duterte was a wacky-religious-nut, but not a psychopathic murderer. I swear that when I made the incredibly stupid decision to put on that shirt that morning it was not based in a love for fascism, or an agenda to promote populism. I made the mistake of putting on a silly shirt that I thought was destined for memedom, but instead was about to age REALLY badly. And yes, I understand how badly now.

I am not a proud boy, I'm not pro-trump, or even a conservative. I watched the Cohen testimony with glee, detest Duterte and cherish every day under a Liberal government here in Canada. I've been Liberal all of my life and it really hurts my feelings to see myself posted here, but I can see how I've made myself the fool. "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

I know some of you will say "you should have known better", and that's fine. I made my idiotic bed, and now I'll lay in it, but please do not associate Ash with fascism/populism/racism. He has always worked to keep politics away from his videos, and now I've ruined that for him.

This is all to say, I'm sorry guys! My bad.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Hustlin Floh posted:

I don’t see how supporting the spread of democracy in the Middle East is fascist.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Welp!

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I don’t see how supporting the spread of democracy in the Middle East is fascist.

For the record while I have no respect for your opinion in this regard, I agree that it's a good idea to keep goons out of this thread unless they have an audience elsewhere.

TravisKeeler posted:

Hey Everyone,

I'm the guy wearing the Duterte shirt in the original post. Let me say first: I should NOT have worn that shirt on Ash's channel, or ever. I do not, and never have supported Duterte. I know it's a funny statement coming from the guy wearing the t-shirt. Please let me explain my self.

I want to publicly apologize to Ash, as I really blindsided him with this whole thing. Not only did Ash not know who was on my shirt, but when he asked about it over lunch he didn't even recognize the name.

I know that many of you will say there is no excuse, but here is my defense. My wife is Filipino, and her family back home are big Duterte fans. They sent me that shirt from the Philippines, and it was cool to have because I've still never met them in person. At the time of the recording I knew that Duterte was a wacky-religious-nut, but not a psychopathic murderer. I swear that when I made the incredibly stupid decision to put on that shirt that morning it was not based in a love for fascism, or an agenda to promote populism. I made the mistake of putting on a silly shirt that I thought was destined for memedom, but instead was about to age REALLY badly. And yes, I understand how badly now.

I am not a proud boy, I'm not pro-trump, or even a conservative. I watched the Cohen testimony with glee, detest Duterte and cherish every day under a Liberal government here in Canada. I've been Liberal all of my life and it really hurts my feelings to see myself posted here, but I can see how I've made myself the fool. "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

I know some of you will say "you should have known better", and that's fine. I made my idiotic bed, and now I'll lay in it, but please do not associate Ash with fascism/populism/racism. He has always worked to keep politics away from his videos, and now I've ruined that for him.

That's fair enough my dude, thanks for having the candor to stop by and explain your side of the story.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 23, 2019

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

TravisKeeler posted:

Hey Everyone,

I've added this to the OP. It's good to hear. I'd recommend posting this in more places than a subforum of a subforum on a dead gay comedy forum, as you and that shirt have been brought up a fair bit the last couple of years.

Get this poo poo out of my thread.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

The Bush administration was fascist as hell, particularly because "spreading democracy" was their constant justification for invading several countries. Not-coincidentally, a lot of recent and historical fascists have called themselves "pro-democracy", because co-opting things that seem cool and good is how they operate.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Thread doing good work already.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
The nuances of the Middle East aside, how about a post about Terese Nielsen. She’s famous for a lot of iconic Magic card art:

It also turns out she’s a trump supporter and follows a lot of alt right YouTube types on twitter. When people realized this she offered a lengthy non-apology:

This all happened a couple weeks ago so the fallout isn’t particularly resolved.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

TravisKeeler posted:

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for registering to explain your position and for apologizing.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I've had my own problems with fashy/fash adjacent nerd losers recently, so glad we've got a space to talk about it without filling up the main threads.

Cut a long story short, my now former local GW got a new manager about two months ago. The dude hit it off with one of the regulars I knew to be a bit of a boring edgelord and their blossoming friendship seems to have emboldened each other.

First warning sign was when the edgelord went off on a Normal One about lady Space Marines a month back, loudly proclaiming "I'd never play against anyone who does that, they're virtue signalling faggots", with the manager reassuring him that he wouldn't allow any models like that under the guise of third-party parts. Pretty poo poo, but unfortunately not uncommon in our lovely hobby.

The real red flags went up about a few weeks ago or so, I nipped in to grab some paint and overheard the pair discussing stuff to watch online. Almost immediately the two of them started swapping their favourite alt-right personalities. Mostly the usuals (Steven Crowder, Ben Shapiro, Jordan Peterson etc) but then both of them started gushing love for outright Nazi shithead and actual pedo advocate Milo Yabbadabbadoopalis, which straight up chilled me to the bone and had me leaving without a word. Especially when I later learned that edgelord is the new part time worker at that store.

I've been mulling over writing in a complaint letter to GW, but between dithering on gathering more evidence and some extreme executive dysfunction I've barely went past a single line in my draft. It loving sucks how cretins like that can slide into the hobby.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

TravisKeeler posted:

Hey Everyone,

You sure were mouthy and ready to call people ignorant in your response to those who pointed it out in those YouTube comments, but better late than never I guess. Glad you regret and own it now (even if you waited for some heat before stepping up).

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Can you get more customers or former customers to sign off?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

TravisKeeler posted:

Hey Everyone,

Can you prove that this is you?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Deified Data posted:

Can you get more customers or former customers to sign off?

Wouldn't know who to trust. Ran down my options and at best I can get a single centrist moron who'll probably both sides it. The few okay people I managed to cultivate while working at that particular store are gone.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SteelMentor posted:

I've had my own problems with fashy/fash adjacent nerd losers recently, so glad we've got a space to talk about it without filling up the main threads.

Cut a long story short, my now former local GW got a new manager about two months ago. The dude hit it off with one of the regulars I knew to be a bit of a boring edgelord and their blossoming friendship seems to have emboldened each other.

First warning sign was when the edgelord went off on a Normal One about lady Space Marines a month back, loudly proclaiming "I'd never play against anyone who does that, they're virtue signalling faggots", with the manager reassuring him that he wouldn't allow any models like that under the guise of third-party parts. Pretty poo poo, but unfortunately not uncommon in our lovely hobby.

The real red flags went up about a few weeks ago or so, I nipped in to grab some paint and overheard the pair discussing stuff to watch online. Almost immediately the two of them started swapping their favourite alt-right personalities. Mostly the usuals (Steven Crowder, Ben Shapiro, Jordan Peterson etc) but then both of them started gushing love for outright Nazi shithead and actual pedo advocate Milo Yabbadabbadoopalis, which straight up chilled me to the bone and had me leaving without a word. Especially when I later learned that edgelord is the new part time worker at that store.

I've been mulling over writing in a complaint letter to GW, but between dithering on gathering more evidence and some extreme executive dysfunction I've barely went past a single line in my draft. It loving sucks how cretins like that can slide into the hobby.

You need to write a complaint. They don't tolerate that poo poo in their stores.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

SteelMentor posted:

Wouldn't know who to trust. Ran down my options and at best I can get a single centrist moron who'll probably both sides it. The few okay people I managed to cultivate while working at that particular store are gone.

Gw reps have openly mocked known fascist fart archwarhammer so I think you'd have a good audience with a complaint.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

SteelMentor posted:

I've always wanted to make an army of female space marines, I was inspired by that rogue trader article a thousand years ago that featured one. But I never did because I was afraid it would send the wrong signal, that people would assume I was inserting women into the scenario to somehow sexualize them or something.

If I had known it would piss of fascist edgelords I would have done it years ago.

I'd also like to see that manager call me out for 3rd party parts if the chapter uses the same armor and helmets as men, as it did in the rogue trader article back in the day. I'll just glue little ponytails from Ork/Chaos kits to their helmets or something, conversions are A-OK right?

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 23, 2019

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I feel like realistically you wouldn’t be able to tell what sex someone was at all if they’re in power armour anyway

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
In any case, you lose absolutely nothing by filling a complaint to GW on your own. Though if I were you I might start documenting specific incidents just so they have something to cite if they decide to act on it, if you're not doing this already.

Does anyone else have experience filing a complaint to GW about a store?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

PinheadSlim posted:

I've always wanted to make an army of female space marines, I was inspired by that rogue trader article a thousand years ago that featured one. But I never did because I was afraid it would send the wrong signal, that people would assume I was inserting women into the scenario to somehow sexualize them or something.

If I had known it would piss of fascist edgelords I would have done it years ago.

I'd also like to see that manager call me out for 3rd party parts if the chapter uses the same armor and helmets as men, as it did in the rogue trader article back in the day. I'll just glue little ponytails from Ork/Chaos kits to their helmets or something, conversions are A-OK right?

there were actually 2 official models back in rogue trader days iirc

female warrior jayne and female warrior gabs were their catalogue names

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This is the sort of thing that will get this thread shut down. If you don't like someone report and ignore them.

Apologies! Sadly this sentiment isn't limited to goons. The organizer of the ZM event at a recent tournament said something similar.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Make the complaint. GW have said in their statements to shareholders for years that their number one risk is the retail staff. They absolutely don't want that poo poo being done in their name and I have faith a sensibly written complaint would be treated seriously.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Hustlin Floh posted:

Apologies! Sadly this sentiment isn't limited to goons. The organizer of the ZM event at a recent tournament said something similar.

This thread is new so no apology necessary. I don't want this thread creating forum drama, and I will drop probations if necessary.

I don't see how supporting the spread of democracy in the Middle East is fascist.

The same goes with you. Report offending posts and move on. Opening up another derail like this will get you probated.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Make the complaint. GW have said in their statements to shareholders for years that their number one risk is the retail staff. They absolutely don't want that poo poo being done in their name and I have faith a sensibly written complaint would be treated seriously.

Absolutely this. Simply saying "the manager failed to call out inappropriate behavior when someone said 'virtue signalling faggots'" and then following up with "employees A and B created an unwelcome atmosphere when they discussed their favorite alt-right YouTube personalities." GW is fully aware of how easy it is to lose customers to this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

The worst that happens is that nothing happens, but I doubt that'll be it. Write in and see how you get on.