Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Cat Faced Joe hinted towards this - but the Infinity forum community has a really weird pro-fascist Deus Vult themed subforum, mostly centrered around some Polish player and some Americans. One of them went on a unhinged Isslamophobic rant and got banned from the forums. The others keep skirting the line and the Infinity forums does not have particuarily strong moderation - and such it festers.

There was also a specific US player who was a full out Trump/ProudBoy/Alt-Right Pepe thing person who added a bunch of Kek style memes into his custom unit designs and his website blog. I had him as a friend on Discord/Steam before realising this as we both talked some metagame poo poo about our armies. He started sending me pro-racist memes and the "we wuz kangs" style memes before realising I wasn't white and am a non-practicing Muslim lol.

His gamer group also discovered this and booted him out, upon which he loving freaked and then tried to spin it as quitting the game because Corvus Belli weren't supporting his faction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Corrode posted:

The worst that happens is that nothing happens, but I doubt that'll be it. Write in and see how you get on.

Honestly, I suspect that they probably send in secret shoppers for that sort of complaint about retail staff. Given the nature of their stores and the types of people they attract, it's the only way I can see that they'd actually be able to police themselves.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

PinheadSlim posted:

I'd also like to see that manager call me out for 3rd party parts if the chapter uses the same armor and helmets as men, as it did in the rogue trader article back in the day. I'll just glue little ponytails from Ork/Chaos kits to their helmets or something, conversions are A-OK right?

Use the FW Female Stormcast heads, they're about the correct size and are official GW parts.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

I used to watch a lot of battle reports for Kings of war. One of the regular battle report video posters is "Holy diver" - a loud henry rollinsesque metalhead. One video I noticed him doing a nazi boot clicking salute as some sort of poor joke gimmick, which he seemed pretty pleased with, so kept doing. Then, I started to notice that some of his off topic videos ran like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ivCZkujfzE

Having watched a lot of his videos I feel secure in saying that he's a not very subtle nazi or nazi curious gamer who relies on a loud "straight talking" gimmick to excuse his terrible opinions. sadly as there are few quality video posters in the kings of war scene he's done guest games and appearances at many of the american kings of war clubs, events and youtube battle reporters.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Never even vaguely associate a sweet and rad dude like Henry Rollins with closed minded jackholes, tia.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Board wargaming has an absolutely huge issue with fascism, although it tends to disguise it in terms of "trying to be accurate with the past". Older games in board wargaming have had a tendency to ignore everything bad about the war, and to fetishise the SS especially. So you get things like this:

And using the colour of SS units to black (as a visual method of making them look elite):

The tendency within board wargames (at least nowadays) is not usually outright nazi apologia, but wehrabooism, usually of the "wehrmacht did nothing wrong/it was the SS", or at least the fetishising of perceived german technological or military prowess. I think nowadays the situation isn't as bad as it used to be, but there's a lot of work, and some of the foundations of the hobby are intrinsically linked with the romanticist/apologist movement that grew after the second world war. I read The Myth of the Eastern Front a while back and while I think that it paints a overly broad stroke in terms of wargaming (I don't think that all wargamers were romanticists/wehraboos, even in the 80s/90s, since the games of the era were still based on the popular narrative in regards to the eastern front before the soviet archives had been fully analysed after the USSR collapse). I would recommend reading the book since it dwells deeply into how the perception of the eastern front was shaped by the start of the Cold War.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Mulva posted:

Never even vaguely associate a sweet and rad dude like Henry Rollins with closed minded jackholes, tia.

That was the whole point, thats what I did, and it was a mistake.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

xutech posted:

I used to watch a lot of battle reports for Kings of war. One of the regular battle report video posters is "Holy diver" - a loud henry rollinsesque metalhead. One video I noticed him doing a nazi boot clicking salute as some sort of poor joke gimmick, which he seemed pretty pleased with, so kept doing. Then, I started to notice that some of his off topic videos ran like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ivCZkujfzE

Having watched a lot of his videos I feel secure in saying that he's a not very subtle nazi or nazi curious gamer who relies on a loud "straight talking" gimmick to excuse his terrible opinions. sadly as there are few quality video posters in the kings of war scene he's done guest games and appearances at many of the american kings of war clubs, events and youtube battle reporters.

That NO MA'AM shirt, christ. This guy is a caricature.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I think you all would enjoy this book: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Myth_of_the_Eastern_Front

It's oddly poorly-edited and -written at points, but very informative. It also has a good section on wargaming and the rise of Nazi apologia.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

DrPop posted:

I think you all would enjoy this book: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Myth_of_the_Eastern_Front

It's oddly poorly-edited and -written at points, but very informative. It also has a good section on wargaming and the rise of Nazi apologia.
Also keep in mind that it's only really relevant to the scene up to the mid-90s, it doesn't really talk about wargaming in the 2000s.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Tekopo posted:

Board wargaming has an absolutely huge issue with fascism, although it tends to disguise it in terms of "trying to be accurate with the past". Older games in board wargaming have had a tendency to ignore everything bad about the war, and to fetishise the SS especially. So you get things like this:

It is my understanding that Rodger McGowen was in the middle of a dispute with Avalon Hill and made that cover as a "gently caress you" to his boss - to his surprise they slapped it on a game and ran it.

I'm not saying that this is a good thing, just providing a little bit of back-story.

quote:

The tendency within board wargames (at least nowadays) is not usually outright nazi apologia, but wehrabooism, usually of the "wehrmacht did nothing wrong/it was the SS", or at least the fetishising of perceived german technological or military prowess.

Back in the day (early 80's) a writer named Jack Radey (who was later an opponent of mine when I lived in California) used to write a column called "9 o'clock" (as in, points to the Left) in S&T magazine. He regularly called out this bias in wargames. At one point he did a very good analysis of some of the subtler slants in wargaming:

- How many wargames have German titles ("Drang Nach Osten") v. how many have Russian titles?
- How many games have Germans on the cover v. how many have Russians?

He broke down the numbers and it did NOT have pleasant results. I'd love to track down some of those old articles.

quote:

I think nowadays the situation isn't as bad as it used to be,

There's still waaaaaay too much pro-fascism in wargaming.

I've been a wargamer for a long time (yeah, I'm old) and I think things are indeed getting a bit better, but there's still far too much "yay Wehrmacht" crap out there. And for examples of that, I'll nominate Flames of War.

It's a WWII historical miniatures wargame set in WWII. I'll admit up front I've played a lot of it, I have Soviet and, yes German armies. Some examples of their bias are:

- Up until the most recent edition Soviet armies couldn't field "veteran" troops. Somehow the frontovik that fought from Stalingrad to Berlin isn't a well-rated "Veteran," but the sixteen year old SS conscript fighting in Berlin is.

- Individual SS Divisions had special bonus stats. There is no Allied or Soviet equivalent to this. But Soviet tank formations had more restrictive rules ("hen and chicks") to reduce their effectiveness.

- And, well, they made these:

Yes, SS themed game markers and dice.

Battlefront, the company that makes the game, is getting better. In the newest edition of the game they've made the Soviets batter and toned down the pro-German crap. They've also dropped the Nazi dice. But they're still a good example of a wargame that AT BEST has a massive blind spot towards fascism.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I'll also point out that there are examples of art going in the other direction - that is, art that deliberately makes Soviets look bad. Case in point, Moscow 1941, made a few years after Up Front:

Rather than presenting soldiers defending their country from invading Nazis, this cover makes the Red Army look like a brutal neanderthal horde.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cessna posted:

Back in the day (early 80's) a writer named Jack Radey (who was later an opponent of mine when I lived in California) used to write a column called "9 o'clock" (as in, points to the Left) in S&T magazine. He regularly called out this bias in wargames. At one point he did a very good analysis of some of the subtler slants in wargaming:

- How many wargames have German titles ("Drang Nach Osten") v. how many have Russian titles?
- How many games have Germans on the cover v. how many have Russians?

He broke down the numbers and it did NOT have pleasant results. I'd love to track down some of those old articles.
Radey actually ran his own wargaming company in the 1980s, called People's War Games, and produced a series of games mostly focused on overlooked battles (usually Soviet victories) on the Eastern front. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamepublisher/2352/peoples-war-games

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Radey is also a kind, friendly person and a great wargame opponent. He really knows his subject matter.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

This is a good as hell thread.

Board gaming, especially wargames where they have the veneer of historical curiosity, is a den for these types. Board gaming in general is a welcoming community for women so they can also use them as shields.

But there was this recent event:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2182291/scramble-africa-designer-did-nothing-wrong
And
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2174984/scramble-africa-i-thought-we-were-past

Colonialism is a specter that still haunts board games today. It’s the number one theme for Euros. There’s a saying about fascism is colonialism gone home. The rhetoric and myth making of the past is there. And every time one of these games arrive, out from the woodwork comes all the supporters.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Chill la Chill posted:

This is a good as hell thread.

Board gaming, especially wargames where they have the veneer of historical curiosity, is a den for these types. Board gaming in general is a welcoming community for women so they can also use them as shields.

But there was this recent event:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2182291/scramble-africa-designer-did-nothing-wrong
And
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2174984/scramble-africa-i-thought-we-were-past

Colonialism is a specter that still haunts board games today. It’s the number one theme for Euros. There’s a saying about fascism is colonialism gone home. The rhetoric and myth making of the past is there. And every time one of these games arrive, out from the woodwork comes all the supporters.

The vice article gives some pretty decent background info too: https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/vb9gd9/a-cancelled-board-game-revealed-how-colonialism-inspires-and-haunts-games

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

Michael Bell - MANHammer/SEGStudio

V Nice. I know he was at Adepticon for Crystal Brush. I was purposely not looking for him because backpfeifengesicht but I did spend a good bit of time hanging in the painting alcove and did not see him. I wonder if he's been shunned by that lot as well.

That fashist gently caress isn't even entertaining. 0/10 for the first 3 minutes of video.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Flipswitch posted:

Cat Faced Joe hinted towards this - but the Infinity forum community has a really weird pro-fascist Deus Vult themed subforum, mostly centrered around some Polish player and some Americans. One of them went on a unhinged Isslamophobic rant and got banned from the forums. The others keep skirting the line and the Infinity forums does not have particuarily strong moderation - and such it festers.

There was also a specific US player who was a full out Trump/ProudBoy/Alt-Right Pepe thing person who added a bunch of Kek style memes into his custom unit designs and his website blog. I had him as a friend on Discord/Steam before realising this as we both talked some metagame poo poo about our armies. He started sending me pro-racist memes and the "we wuz kangs" style memes before realising I wasn't white and am a non-practicing Muslim lol.

His gamer group also discovered this and booted him out, upon which he loving freaked and then tried to spin it as quitting the game because Corvus Belli weren't supporting his faction.

Pretty sure I know exactly who you're talking about and have played against him IRL. Did he play Tohaa and have a blog named after a friendless variety of thistle cultivated as food?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

admanb posted:

Pretty sure I know exactly who you're talking about and have played against him IRL. Did he play Tohaa and have a blog named after a friendless variety of thistle cultivated as food?

That's the one!

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Flipswitch posted:

That's the one!

There was a lot of controversy over him in our community. By which I mean all the players agreed he should gently caress off forever but all the LGS owners were too cowardly to do anything.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Cessna posted:

There's still waaaaaay too much pro-fascism in wargaming.

It's sorta for this reason that I have never given a thought to getting into WW2 historical wargaming (despite thinking Bolt Action looks like a bunch of fun).

I assume the farther away you get from WW2, the less fash people tend to be, right? Like, I find it somewhat hard to imagine fascists getting really into Napoleonics.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Drone posted:

It's sorta for this reason that I have never given a thought to getting into WW2 historical wargaming (despite thinking Bolt Action looks like a bunch of fun).

I assume the farther away you get from WW2, the less fash people tend to be, right? Like, I find it somewhat hard to imagine fascists getting really into Napoleonics.

at least until you hit the spacefuture or fantasy. do the fash prefer Skorne, Cryx, Everblight or Menoth? My money is Menoth but I could see all of 'em

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

admanb posted:

There was a lot of controversy over him in our community. By which I mean all the players agreed he should gently caress off forever but all the LGS owners were too cowardly to do anything.

Should have strung the little fascist up a tree

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Drone posted:

Don't avoid doing things that you find fun or interesting because there are also assholes who do those things.

I have a good gaming group - friends I've known for a long time - and we don't put up with rear end in a top hat fascists. Sure, we understand that someone has to play the Germans (otherwise it will be a very boring game) but if you start showing up with lovingly painted swastikas on your stuff or talking about how the Confederacy wasn't that bad you'll find that you don't get any more calls/texts asking if you're up for a game. There are good people out there who play Historicals, you just have to find them.

Drone posted:

Even in Napoleonics there are people who are way too into Prussian militarism. (Yes, I understand the Prussians weren't Nazis, but they get way too into the Iron Crosses.) And any era has potential to attract that sort of jackass. (The Spartans were soooo cool and tough! It's an ironic Roman salute! Etc, etc.)

Play what you want, find good people to play with, don't be an rear end in a top hat.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I would definitely like to read this book, thank you.

I've found much overlap between cold-war anti-Soviet intelligence and eastern front nazi propaganda. A lot of our war-era Soviets "history" has roots in a Berlin propaganda office, that came to the west by way of debriefed nazi officers.

So that helps contextualize how 70 years later, a documentary explicitly emphasizes the brutal rapes committed by the savage red army horde as they burned down the architectural wonderland of Berlin.

(I'm sure rape was part of war, it's always been. But it seemed a particularly jarring choice to only spotlight one side's crimes.)

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Mors Rattus posted:

at least until you hit the spacefuture or fantasy. do the fash prefer Skorne, Cryx, Everblight or Menoth? My money is Menoth but I could see all of 'em

I'd assume there'd be a lot of Deus Vult memes about Menoth if that was a thing when Warmachine was popular.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Mors Rattus posted:

I could see arguments being made for most of the factions honestly. Except maybe Trollbloods.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Deus Vult memes

It's a shame that this is being used, as there's a good Historicals miniatures wargame by that title:

I would like to put together a Saracen army at some point.

tankfish
May 31, 2013

Drone posted:

As a Canadian people here at least for historical stuff can get really into for some reason the American civil war.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'd assume there'd be a lot of Deus Vult memes about Menoth if that was a thing when Warmachine was popular.
Oh, has it lost most of its playerbase? It's one of those games that I always wanted to get into but I'm absolutely awful at assembling minis, painting them and going to physical playspaces.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

tankfish posted:

As a Canadian people here at least for historical stuff can get really into for some reason the American civil war.

Babelfish really played hell on this sentence.

Mors Rattus posted:

Oh, has it lost most of its playerbase? It's one of those games that I always wanted to get into but I'm absolutely awful at assembling minis, painting them and going to physical playspaces.

PP hemorrhaged all the talent that kept their development competent and has neither the financial ability nor the leadership to rebuild. The core of the game is still good but model development is a mess.

tankfish
May 31, 2013

admanb posted:

Babelfish really played hell on this sentence.
s.[/i]
This is what I get for phone posting at lunch.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

admanb posted:

PP hemorrhaged all the talent that kept their development competent and has neither the financial ability nor the leadership to rebuild. The core of the game is still good but model development is a mess.

And if they ever stop making their paints I'm jumping off a bridge.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

Luke Barker - StrikingScorpion82

Goddammit I love SS82 :(

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
SS18 also may, or may not, be a weirdo fundie christian. His brother seems to be.

As I've said before, that's way, way weirder and more of a warning sign in the UK than the US. They are far outside the mainstream here.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Striking Scorpion did this amazingly awful Farage tribute video on his channel. It was so hilariously awful. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: Actually I don't think he made it, it was just something his channel had liked/commented on favourably.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YPdzxB0LZw That's the terrible Farage tribute, you can see his comment near the top.

StrikingScorpion82 posted:

Excellent video well done. Great song choice:) Hope its gets over a million views!:D
Nigel Farage is a hero in my eyes!

Gunder fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 23, 2019

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

Should have strung the little fascist up a tree

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Agreed.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Drone posted:

People really into authoritarianism have been really, really into Old Boney to an unhealthy degree since before he died.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Drone posted:

As mentioned, there's fascist in whichever era you play. The really egregious era for apologia is the American Civil War, which is still rife with overt Lost Cause-ism.

Also Cessna although I'm not involved with miniature wargaming, it always felt to me that miniature wargaming seemed to attract more fascists, or at least them being more visible, than in board wargaming. I haven't had the chance to meet anyone that was and out and out wehraboo while playing board wargames, even with strangers from the internet. I'm glad that I managed to find a group of people that are more to the left and still enjoy wargames.

I was talking to someone I play regular board games with and he was surprised that I was a leftist, since the sort of games I play (board wargames and heavy economic boardgames) tend to attract right-wingers, and honestly he wasn't wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Cessna posted:

I'll also point out that there are examples of art going in the other direction - that is, art that deliberately makes Soviets look bad. Case in point, Moscow 1941, made a few years after Up Front:

Rather than presenting soldiers defending their country from invading Nazis, this cover makes the Red Army look like a brutal neanderthal horde.
For a relatively modern comparison:

Or really recent:

I do feel there have been improvements, and this is mostly from the Russian archives finally being open and thus allowing a much more nuanced discussion of the eastern front.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 23, 2019