Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I picked up an anvil and stoved someone in the head with it as they were duelling. I have to say that Chivalry 2 feels more geared towards group fights, given the hyper-armor you can gain on riposte, let alone the better movement in general.

Jabbing and tackling is fun, plus it feels good to have the spear's special attack be just standing in place, holding the point out against anyone who runs into you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
There was an hour or two yesterday afternoon when the servers were all really laggy regardless of ping but it seems to have been fixed. Having a blast game good, partying up is still broken though.

mdct posted:

I'm pretty sure I've gotten at least one person extremely spicy mad at the fact that I'm playing as a black woman that they decided to teamkill me and have us lose the entire match because they were so focused on doing that instead of getting people off the Duke. At least, that's my best guess as to why. Coulda just been a regular flavor griefer, but they did target me over it.

I consider this a success regardless.

I had a guy whining about women in chat and I got him to completely stop playing and scream at me all game by insisting most knights were women historically. I threw my greatsword while he was typing and impaled him. 10/10 game.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
The game is far more fun than Mordhau. I think I've actually seen more maps in both betas than in Mordhau proper, lol. Duel servers are accomodating and there's far less Accel/drag horseshit so you can figure combat out at your own pace. The worst I've seen is feint spam from shield users and some weird feints from vanguard's, but at least you can adapt. The only outright annoying thing are Messer vanguard's who constantly dodge your riposte and get an easy hit in. If that fails it just descends into a riposte stamina war. The messer is ridiculous damage wise, suits all over the longsword.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Chiv2 loving rocks and I am happy to never start Mordau ever again.

Shield throwing is like a small grenade, guaranteed hit.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I also do enjoy how the class-specific damage bonuses seem to make a pretty significant difference, while also being more transparent in how they work. Often you can save yourself a hit or two by using a class-appropriate weapon (e.g. blunts versus knights). Makes the vanguard with two primary weapon slots a really fun alternative.

That said, I'm currently in love with the vanguard assassin subclass. The short sword is surprisingly nasty, and the ability to whip out a throwing knife when the victim least expects it is extremely satisfying.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

It seems like they are definitely going to go the microtransaction route, so I guess skin and voice support will improve over time, as I would really like a choice on female voices at some point.

That being said, bringing back the quarterstaff and sling sure would be nice . . . could even be a fustibalus since you can melee attack with bows now.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol i made this person mad because I was makin fun of him for caring about women being in chiv 2

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Perestroika posted:

That said, I'm currently in love with the vanguard assassin subclass. The short sword is surprisingly nasty, and the ability to whip out a throwing knife when the victim least expects it is extremely satisfying.

I unlocked it today and it's pretty fun. You can combo a quick couple of slashes with the shortsword before people understand just how fast you are, it's savage.

The secondary dagger is pretty good as well, its Special is a stab that does a lot of damage! If I see people fighting I go around them and stab the guy in the back, fun times. The throwing knives are very versatile as well, it's probably going to be my most played subclass :v:

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 29, 2021

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah I don't want to go nuts on "haha mordhau is dead" but drat I'm really liking Chiv 2 so far, haven't touched any duel servers but had a couple super satisfying back and forths in regular matches. Keep forgetting to mash F when I lose a good fight though

eonwe posted:

lol i made this person mad because I was makin fun of him for caring about women being in chiv 2

goddamn... how do i prove i'm not mad.... i know, TWO laugh cries haha gotem

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Alright if we're going to keep using this thread I'll work on the OP for you guys, get it updated with Chiv2 stuff

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I'd honestly prefer a new thread entirely so I can fully unbookmark this one.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I guess you could make this a catch-all First Person Stabbers thread? Just spit-ballin

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

mdct posted:

I agree with this, a new thread would be nice, game's out next week anyway!

Played a lot of this last night. Did they change anything? Movement seems a bit more fluid now than last beta.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
is there literally no way to disable anti aliasing in Chiv2? or am i just an idiot?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The Chad Jihad posted:

I guess you could make this a catch-all First Person Stabbers thread? Just spit-ballin

I vote for starting a new thread but making it a catch-all like this. Just make it mainly about Chiv 2 and then put some brief info on Mordhau and Chiv 1 and For Honor and maybe like M&B in the second post or whatever.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

mdct posted:

Yeah same. No reason to rewrite an existing thread, anyway.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

megane posted:

I vote for starting a new thread but making it a catch-all like this. Just make it mainly about Chiv 2 and then put some brief info on Mordhau and Chiv 1 and For Honor and maybe like M&B in the second post or whatever.

This is good, especially for anyone that's still playing For Honor since that's still getting seasons and all, I think.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Aw man, For Honor is great, I wish it got a sequel instead of just staying in a weird maintenance mode for its die-hard fans.

That said, I can't throw the head that was just separated from it's body and kill the one that beheaded them in For Honor so Chiv2 is the superior game.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Aw man, For Honor is great, I wish it got a sequel instead of just staying in a weird maintenance mode for its die-hard fans.

That said, I can't throw the head that was just separated from it's body and kill the one that beheaded them in For Honor so Chiv2 is the superior game.

It's the only game I can think of that honestly fits UbiSoft's "game as a service" model and isn't just some stupid thing that's just two pieces of DLC paid for in advance. It's from 2017, so maybe soon? I have no idea, I was just thinking of things.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I actually still play For Honor semi-regularly so I’ll add it in the new thread sure

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
game good

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

mdct posted:

game good

Good lord how much are you playing!? And what's your secret?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

School Nickname posted:

The game is far more fun than Mordhau. I think I've actually seen more maps in both betas than in Mordhau proper, lol. Duel servers are accomodating and there's far less Accel/drag horseshit so you can figure combat out at your own pace. The worst I've seen is feint spam from shield users and some weird feints from vanguard's, but at least you can adapt. The only outright annoying thing are Messer vanguard's who constantly dodge your riposte and get an easy hit in. If that fails it just descends into a riposte stamina war. The messer is ridiculous damage wise, suits all over the longsword.

What is it with these games and messers being absolute bullshit. It feels like weird katana worship, HEMA edition.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Messers have half as many edges but look twice as cool as regular swords, making them four times better overall :colbert:

But yeah, it's basically got the advantage that it's got good damage on the easiest attack type (swings), combined with decent reach and speed. In principle, the Knight longsword can do just as much damage with thrusts as the messer can with cuts, but thrusts are obviously more difficult to land and less useful in big group fights. Similarly, polehammers can do as much damage with similar mobility, but only ever hit one guy at a time and rely on class-specific damage bonuses to make it work.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

To be fair, the Messer was also gross in Chivalry 1, but at least it wasn't the Zweihander, which is very conspicuously missing for some reason...

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Chiv 1 messer wasn't gross so much as the literal only thing keeping knights relevant.

Speaking of which, I don't have Epic so I don't know; how is the class balance in Chiv 2? People in this thread keep making GBS threads their pants about it and raving about how dead Mordhau is, but the slow clumsy knights with slow clumsy weapons that needed crazy drags just to survive and teleporting MMA's and stuff were core Chiv 1 mechanics and I don't think I could get into a game that didn't resolve that poo poo.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Victory Position posted:

To be fair, the Messer was also gross in Chivalry 1, but at least it wasn't the Zweihander, which is very conspicuously missing for some reason...

The Zweihander isn't missing, it's just a skin on the Greatsword.

Which is really good, for what its worth. People aren't familiar with how to deal with helicoptering around with it yet like always, so it's currently for sure one of the best weapons for fighting groups.

Jabarto posted:

Speaking of which, I don't have Epic so I don't know; how is the class balance in Chiv 2? People in this thread keep making GBS threads their pants about it and raving about how dead Mordhau is, but the slow clumsy knights with slow clumsy weapons that needed crazy drags just to survive and teleporting MMA's and stuff were core Chiv 1 mechanics and I don't think I could get into a game that didn't resolve that poo poo.

It's much better than Chiv 1's. While there's a few stinker weapons, all of the classes feel relevant and the ones that were previously overpowered don't feel as much anymore. There's no weapon in the entire game that can one-shot you unless you're playing an archer, for instance - even the Maul's special (a super-powerful overhead) does 150.

Plus no perfect dragging poo poo to get instant headshots and stuff like that, and riposte & counter reward skill and positioning well and stuff like that.

I've personally done really well and dominated matches as a Vanguard (greatsword,) Footman (polehammer,) and Knight (messer & executioner's axe) with roughly equal rewards for each.

I'm not scum tho so I've never touched archer.

mdct fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 30, 2021

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
Chivalry 2 is fantastic so far with the Beta. People can't seem to follow the objectives, but over all the combat and mush pits have been an absolute blast. Throwing fish, wheels, barrels and poo poo (literally) has been a blast. Getting killed by a ballista, respawning, picking up the tree trunk that killed you and using it to kill the guy on the ballista has been fun. Also, if you find a scythe, it is pretty amazing as a weapon. The number of overhead items that can kill you is also fun, especially for archers. The chandelier in the castle halls can catch a ton of people, TK'ing is pretty much a given though.

UI though is kind of poo poo, especially when you want to know what weapon will be unlocked next, or have available to use skin wise before you go in game. Being unable to purchase items while on a server is kind of a bummer as well.

If this thread were to suddenly turn into Chivalry 2: Mordhau is Dead, I think it would be the most apropos direction we could go.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jabarto posted:

Chiv 1 messer wasn't gross so much as the literal only thing keeping knights relevant.

So far, classes seem quite solid with valid niches, and you can certainly do well with all of them. I'd say that Man At Arms feels a little bit underrepresented, mostly because one of its subclasses is a utility class and the other's only got one-handers, so they're fairly situational. But the remaining subclass is still fun and good, you can pop heads left and right with the polehammer while the spear is excellent for support in group fights.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is it just me or is there something incredibly goofy about Chivalry 2, in a good way? Like it is a straight faced parody of grimdark medieval settings?

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Speaking of not knowing where weapons are, anyone know where the billhook is? I’ve only played vanguard to rank 22 and it’s not a vanguard weapon, I don’t think.

I’m okay if it’s a skin on a different class. Billhook is the ultimate weapon.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
It's a man-at-arms weapon, it's a skin for the halberd.

Unlucky7 posted:

Is it just me or is there something incredibly goofy about Chivalry 2, in a good way? Like it is a straight faced parody of grimdark medieval settings?

Chivalry from its outset has been a goofy parody of medieval settings even back when it was a Half-life mod game mode, from what I understand, yes.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

fromoutofnowhere posted:

If this thread were to suddenly turn into Chivalry 2: Mordhau is Dead, I think it would be the most apropos direction we could go.

Chivalry 2: It Got Better

Also yes, the hilarity of the whole absurd cacophony of violence has always been a huge part of the draw of these games.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Jabarto posted:

The spear is so good that I've got gold on it already and have topped some leaderboards doing so. Sniping people over the shoulders works wonderfully and is actually a smart move for a support class. It's great! The charge attack is also great and you can instantly kill an archer if you smack them in the head.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

mdct posted:

Which is really good, for what its worth. People aren't familiar with how to deal with helicoptering around with it yet like always, so it's currently for sure one of the best weapons for fighting groups.
It's much better than Chiv 1's

It's going to get a lot more disgusting when people figure out riposte blocking and how to swing it like the Sword of War.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Victory Position posted:

The spear is so good that I've got gold on it already and have topped some leaderboards doing so. Sniping people over the shoulders works wonderfully and is actually a smart move for a support class. It's great! The charge attack is also great and you can instantly kill an archer if you smack them in the head.

Oh poo poo, I think I've played against you. The spear stuff you were doing kicked my rear end, it's really good for sure.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Chiv 2 beta rules, I'm a huge fan of the never stop throwing strat

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Well you dorks got me to break my promise of never using Epic Games Store.

Game's fun. I'm trying a footman out and I can't decide if I want to make it a woman for the novelty, or stick with the default male because his "whinge" emote and general attitude is really funny to me.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

Jabarto posted:

Game's fun. I'm trying a footman out and I can't decide if I want to make it a woman for the novelty, or stick with the default male because his "whinge" emote and general attitude is really funny to me.

Yikes, thats a serious promise you had made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Jabarto posted:

Why not both? I have an Agathan archer that's a whiny prick and he's funnier than hell. "KILL THEM BEFORE THEY KILL ME!" is an amazing battlecry.