Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CupNoodleKing
Feb 17, 2011

Game badly needs a screen mouse lock option. Right now everybody's bad at the game so people spamming with the zwei are dominating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Game possibly very good but i am very bad

The engineer toolbox seems kinda neat for building walls of spikes all over the place in chokepoints. Too bad the default engineer loadout doesn't have any actual weapons (!). And progression just doesn't work for some reason so I can't level up/earn gold to make my own custom dude with a toolbox plus a sword (and maybe a beartrap too for fun).

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah they're investigating those issues right now. They got blown up way harder than they were anticipating.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Bought this immediately as I've been itching to get my Chivalry on since it was announced. I will never not be screaming and laughing maniacally as the vets cut me to ribbons.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
allegedly if you join a server with custom options at all it doesn't give you stuff

also frontlines is broken

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Gamerofthegame posted:

allegedly if you join a server with custom options at all it doesn't give you stuff

also frontlines is broken

I've been failing to get stuff on the official servers as well. It's just buggy in general right now.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I did notice I tended to get stuff after the results screen, unlisted.

also I wish being a peasant wasn't just a massive gently caress you to my team cuz lol

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Quicksilver6 posted:

I wonder if this is what the "end them rightly" achievement is for?

almost certainly.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

People seem to have trouble dealing with a short spear + shield.

I really hope it starts giving me XP and gold for games.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
I accidentally threw an axe into a teammate's back, yelled "Sorry!" at them when they looked at me, then pulled it out of their back when they turned around. I love that feature.

Also, I didn't realize just how much I missed having a "yell at the top of your lungs" button.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

How is this game with small weapons blocking larger ones? One thing that really got my goat in Chivalry is when a player with like a greatsword or maul went up against an archer with their dinky little dagger, getting effortlessly blocked until the heavier weapon guy ran out of stamina and then getting poked to death. Sure, there should be a way for anyone to win any duel, but it shouldn't be by tanking 5-pound weapons with a pigsticker.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I top fragged a few servers for multiple games in a row just stabbing only with the Footman and using his high mobility to engage and disengage. Feels good. I’m a little disappointed that blocking isn’t directional, it’s just hit a button to block everything despite having directional attacks. Also I need to stop trying to hold my blocks, this isn’t warband I guess.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Gamerofthegame posted:

I did notice I tended to get stuff after the results screen, unlisted.

also I wish being a peasant wasn't just a massive gently caress you to my team cuz lol

I soloed two horsemen as a peasant armed with nothing but carving knives, don't underestimate the mobility along with the mobility of the dodge skill.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Anybody else get the thing that sometimes attack inputs just won't be recognized at all? It seems vaguely related to attack direction, for some weapons it seems to pop up most often when I'm around 90° to the right.

Also, I can't help but :laffo: to see them having gone to all these lenghts with the customization system, only to have what feels like 80% of the playerbase run around with heavy armour and two-handed swords.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

several times now I’ve gotten into games where I can run around seemingly normally until I find an enemy and realize they can’t see me let alone attack me and my attacks just go through them. It’s like I’m roleplaying a ghost (also I’m pretty sure I can still cap bases like this)

also have to run the game in windowed mode or the screen spazzes out completely

despite all this and the server issues the game is fun and very entertaining

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

You know how you can pull thrown weapons out of corpses? Turns out you can do the same for living bodies, as long as it is your body.

What does this mean? Just that getting a spear through the chest, ripping it out of yourself, and then returning to sender is perfectly possible as long as the shaft is visible from the POV.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
How's the co-op in this one? VT2 has taught me the beauty of brutal FPS melee, and while I do like team battles, sometimes I just want to chill with friends and stand against a swarm of baddies.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
^^^ see my description of horde mode below

My experience has been completing the tutorial after three baby interruptions then quick matching into horde mode which seems to be killing floor but with peasants instead of zombies. So I didn’t get a chance to do much but I did buy a shield while playing and could not tell the difference in terms of my defense. Is there a separate button to hold a block? Right click was still parry.

CuddleCryptid posted:

You know how you can pull thrown weapons out of corpses? Turns out you can do the same for living bodies, as long as it is your body.

What does this mean? Just that getting a spear through the chest, ripping it out of yourself, and then returning to sender is perfectly possible as long as the shaft is visible from the POV.

Lol hell yeah

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Comrayn posted:

^^^ see my description of horde mode below

My experience has been completing the tutorial after three baby interruptions then quick matching into horde mode which seems to be killing floor but with peasants instead of zombies. So I didn’t get a chance to do much but I did buy a shield while playing and could not tell the difference in terms of my defense. Is there a separate button to hold a block? Right click was still parry.

Lol hell yeah

I think it depends on the size of the shield. Buckler and Targe only seem enhance your regular parry by giving you a more generous parry area (and might also reduce stamina costs as well, I dunno). But the larger shields from Heater and upwards should just allow you to hold block for as long as you like.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Ah it was definitely one of the smaller shields so I guess that was it. Thanks. Hoping to sneak some sword fights in tonight

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
We'll see more variety open up when you can start playing and earning money. The fact that the beta dorks are running out with zweihanders and the health gain on kill is cheesy as poo poo and it seems like the people who love this kind of game the most are determined to sink it asap.

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

Game is good and fun.

After trying for almost an hour to find a frontline server that wasn't giving me 400+ ping, I managed to get into a snowy mountain pass game and spawned as that big furry dude with a giant axe and ran into a group of red guys occupied with my teammates and with my first swipe took two heads off at once. I got an achievement for it too! :)

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The engineer toolbox seems kinda neat for building walls of spikes all over the place in chokepoints. Too bad the default engineer loadout doesn't have any actual weapons (!). And progression just doesn't work for some reason so I can't level up/earn gold to make my own custom dude with a toolbox plus a sword (and maybe a beartrap too for fun).

That's what the lute is for! I've more kills with the lute right now than the sledgehammer.

McSpanky posted:

How is this game with small weapons blocking larger ones? One thing that really got my goat in Chivalry is when a player with like a greatsword or maul went up against an archer with their dinky little dagger, getting effortlessly blocked until the heavier weapon guy ran out of stamina and then getting poked to death. Sure, there should be a way for anyone to win any duel, but it shouldn't be by tanking 5-pound weapons with a pigsticker.

This still exists. I think maybe the person with a small weapon takes a much larger stamina hit when blocking a big weapon, but I don't know for sure.

Perestroika posted:

Also, I can't help but :laffo: to see them having gone to all these lenghts with the customization system, only to have what feels like 80% of the playerbase run around with heavy armour and two-handed swords.

This is probably because of the no XP/gold bug that exists right now. Once people get their points, they'll start unlocking stuff and playing dress-up.

Kill All Humans posted:

Mordhau: Chivalry is dead

This is it.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

We'll see more variety open up when you can start playing and earning money. The fact that the beta dorks are running out with zweihanders and the health gain on kill is cheesy as poo poo and it seems like the people who love this kind of game the most are determined to sink it asap.

This is always the case in high skill cap games that aren’t just FPS. People who are good seem to be on a mission to crush everyone else and ruin the game for everyone ensuring it dies before any kind of critical mass of people get into it. I don’t get it but there’s always people who just want to feel like the big man playing god mode or whatever. They did at least fix the stupid helicopter overhead smash moves and all that from chivalry right?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Comrayn posted:

This is always the case in high skill cap games that aren’t just FPS. People who are good seem to be on a mission to crush everyone else and ruin the game for everyone ensuring it dies before any kind of critical mass of people get into it. I don’t get it but there’s always people who just want to feel like the big man playing god mode or whatever. They did at least fix the stupid helicopter overhead smash moves and all that from chivalry right?

The game is quite good. Very challenging but feels fair and you understand how and why you died. I enjoy that blocking w/o a shield is non-directional and timing based. A lot of the game has a certain rhythm to it, which is good.

Not getting coins or XP in local games feels like being punished and is a bad call.

Edit: yeah no helicopter bullshit

Ichabod Tane fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 30, 2019

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010
I have no idea why people would use one set of weapons, the games so much more fun and dynamic when you're just throwing all your firebombs and poo poo and then beating someone to death with a dead man's mace you found on the ground.

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION
Is there any reason whatsoever to take the peasant perk besides the fun of it? Takes half your perk points and restricts you to using such equipment as "floppy hat" and "pitchfork that does 8 damage a stab"

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Comrayn posted:

This is always the case in high skill cap games that aren’t just FPS. People who are good seem to be on a mission to crush everyone else and ruin the game for everyone ensuring it dies before any kind of critical mass of people get into it. I don’t get it but there’s always people who just want to feel like the big man playing god mode or whatever.

What, exactly, do you expect the people that are good at the game/mechanics to do about this? Just sit still and die? Pull their punches and not have fun? Go fists only and have fun until people figure out how to fight against that? It's really not fun to sit there parrying some guy for 2 minutes until his friends come to make it a 3v1 and it becomes interesting. It is fun to run around feeling like the Chosen of Khorne.

If the people aren't using something that's completely broken take it as a chance to try to learn to deal with them. Hell, even if they are then dealing with cheese is something you'll want to practice too. You'll lose every fight, most likely, but you'll start making progress. You'll learn how to read things and get forced to learn to time parries and use kicks more effectively.

There's no real matchmaking and no MMR system of any sort. Matches will be horribly imbalanced. I hope they do something about this but, until they do, do you want people that get a >3:1 K:D to just quit the game or something?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Davos posted:

Is there any reason whatsoever to take the peasant perk besides the fun of it? Takes half your perk points and restricts you to using such equipment as "floppy hat" and "pitchfork that does 8 damage a stab"

its just a novelty thing

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

There's no real matchmaking and no MMR system of any sort. Matches will be horribly imbalanced. I hope they do something about this but, until they do, do you want people that get a >3:1 K:D to just quit the game or something?

yes

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

What, exactly, do you expect the people that are good at the game/mechanics to do about this? Just sit still and die? Pull their punches and not have fun? Go fists only and have fun until people figure out how to fight against that? It's really not fun to sit there parrying some guy for 2 minutes until his friends come to make it a 3v1 and it becomes interesting. It is fun to run around feeling like the Chosen of Khorne.

If the people aren't using something that's completely broken take it as a chance to try to learn to deal with them. Hell, even if they are then dealing with cheese is something you'll want to practice too. You'll lose every fight, most likely, but you'll start making progress. You'll learn how to read things and get forced to learn to time parries and use kicks more effectively.

I don't think you understand what his point is even though it's pretty succinct. Maybe more game modes that allow for training? Smaller scale battles? Coins and exp. for playing locally? Maybe matchmaking and MMR?

I don't think anyone needs to be patronized about making progress in a high skill game we've all been there before.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Glenn Quebec posted:

I don't think you understand what his point is even though it's pretty succinct. Maybe more game modes that allow for training? Smaller scale battles? Coins and exp. for playing locally? Maybe matchmaking and MMR?

I don't think anyone needs to be patronized about making progress in a high skill game we've all been there before.

Is there a duel mode? That may help a bit, people find people at their level in the server and do that.

Matchmaking and MMR is really necessary, but my point is that the players can't do anything about the lack of those things.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

No duel mode. I'd love to hop on with a friend or stranger and get used to whatever loadout or style I'm working on.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
But is this game good if I never played Chivalry but liked For Honour

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It's not really like For Honor at all and the closest game it's like is Chivalry so maybe???

I killed a guy and grabbed his sword and killed another guy by throwing it, and then immediately uninstalled to keep the match fair. I'm doing my part!

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Babe Magnet posted:

I killed a guy and grabbed his sword and killed another guy by throwing it, and then immediately uninstalled to keep the match fair. I'm doing my part!

I mean you can act like a complete tool in the face of people discussing a game they like, sure.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Not only can I, but I will. I will not be Good At Videogames Shamed, in this, my own thread!!!!

I PM'd a mod for thread name change, going with Chivalry is Dead

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Songbearer posted:

But is this game good if I never played Chivalry but liked For Honour

very hard to compare this game and For Honor, for me, at least

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I’m talking about people going out of their way to murder everyone with the most noob stomping methods possible. Someone mentioned a zweihander with a heal on kill trait, I haven’t been able to play enough to see this action myself but if it’s particularly good at mowing down guys who can’t block it’s a good example. Instead of setting yourself up for the best peasant mulching when you find yourself in a match with guys who are clearly way beneath you maybe do something fun and creative for a challenge or look for guys who are actually good and seek them out for a better fight. If you ran around chivalry with max mouse sensitivity helicopter smashing people you’re not going to understand what anyone is talking about.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah if you didn't play Chivalry that actually might make you enjoy the game more, you might not associate it with the shitshow that was later-life Chivalry. The only thing it has in common with For Honor is sword thangs and bomb-rear end customization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

This games customization is sick as gently caress and better then fonors tbh.

I've also have had better success in games with my mongoloid peasant then my 'cool' try hard knight. I just toggle sprint around everyone and hit them in the back of the head with a hammer which is loving hysterical