Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Most of the time when I'm cleaving through people who refuse to hit right-click it's because I'm trying to push an objective or point, or trying to actually make my way to the good players in the back who are doing the same to my dudes. The problem is the people who don't block are also the same people who run head-first into the enemy spawn constantly so it only looks like I'm good at the game when I'm really just trying to left-click spam my way out of the pile of bodies throwing themselves at my team lol

not to say swarm tactics don't work. That's what you gotta' do to take those golden gods down, start hucking poo poo at them, swarm them with shield guys, etc. 1 v 1 is a fool's game.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Comrayn posted:

I’m talking about people going out of their way to murder everyone with the most noob stomping methods possible. Someone mentioned a zweihander with a heal on kill trait, I haven’t been able to play enough to see this action myself but if it’s particularly good at mowing down guys who can’t block it’s a good example. Instead of setting yourself up for the best peasant mulching when you find yourself in a match with guys who are clearly way beneath you maybe do something fun and creative for a challenge or look for guys who are actually good and seek them out for a better fight. If you ran around chivalry with max mouse sensitivity helicopter smashing people you’re not going to understand what anyone is talking about.

Okay, I agree with that and that's more the cheese I was talking about. I think the only mechanical thing they can do to deal with that is gently caress with how dragging works but that screws with people not doing that too. I've found the best way to deal with that in this game is to use a spear or other polearm and get a good parry off and punish them, or poke them before they get into range. Really fast weapons are good there if you can get them to whiff too.

One thing I've found is really good right now is to run a short spear and shield. The shield helps vs archers and also doesn't have directional blocking, so it's easier to get a feel for timing, and the spear has really good speed and range.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

short spear is really loving good

I've been running the Falchion/Cleaver too, I really like how meaty the hits are. Need to start getting some money so I can get a polemace or a hammer.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 30, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'd like to try it but I'm a lucky recipient of the no gold/xp bug.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah I spent all my starting/tutorial money on cosmetics and now I'm not getting any more lol

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'd like to try it but I'm a lucky recipient of the no gold/xp bug.

I got lucky and bought the short spear first. I also got the quarter staff! People don't respect that thing enough, it doesn't hit hard but it's very fast and has solid reach. Sucks when it breaks though. Edit: maybe I was disarmed in hindsight, either way I panicked and pinched the guy to death then picked up his sword.

Mr.Unique-Name fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 30, 2019

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I played deathmatch a bunch last night. Game owns. I honorable 1v1 a few people with fists and got stabbed in the process but that guy brought great shame to his family. I love spamming v to yell. The classes are all good and I cant wait to customize a class. The big fuckoff mace is very satisfying. We need a goon server.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

I bought a loving short sword, a barbute and some random armor pieces to look cool.

I'm really tired of the shortsword.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

is there a way to turn off chromatic aberration? i looked in the cfgs and everything and couldnt see it

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

My body is ready

I hope I don't get my rear end kicked like in the alpha, here goes

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, short spear is really great for playing footsies. Lure them into an attack, step back (or dodge) out of range, then jump right back in with a thrust. That's usually a guaranteed hit, since misses have such a long recovery. The only real downside is that you're so reliant on thrusts that it's actually fairly easy to chamber you. Also your throw deals pretty massive damage.

Has anybody found a use for the alternate modes of some of the axes and the longspear, where you just choke up on the grip? It's supposed to be a bit faster or something, but I've yet to notice a real difference.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Perestroika posted:

Has anybody found a use for the alternate modes of some of the axes and the longspear, where you just choke up on the grip? It's supposed to be a bit faster or something, but I've yet to notice a real difference.

Spear makes it one handed and extends the range a bit at the cost of speed, I think. With the axe it decreases your range so you're hitting them with the blade instead of shaft when they get inside your guard.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'll just spend five years rebinding everything for my poo poo-rear end azerty keyboard and I'm ready to go

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 30, 2019

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
In terms of people being mad that their are people who are good crushing them. My response is "shoot them, maybe?".

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I am constantly throwing poo poo at people, at all times, because it's funny.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Also, coop horde mode needs to let me play around with my build. Or an option to play like that at least

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I'm curious as to what they expect you to do in higher levels of horde mode other than hole up at the top of a tower that has a ranged weapon and ammo with a ladder that the AI can't figure out. At least until the fire guys come and you need to kite all day. Trying to legit melee stops being an option once it starts sending a dozen fully armored enemies at you with every wave. It's all kiting and holding scout towers.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

dogstile posted:

In terms of people being mad that their are people who are good crushing them. My response is "shoot them, maybe?".
I think I heard the chase mechanic includes "Are they holding a bow or thrown weapon? You run faster towards them" somewhere, and I'm hoping that's just hyperbole and not an actual thing.

At least a speed boost when chasing after cowards who turn their back and run feels good. I can't imagine feeling very proud of myself that I got a leg up against "Man holding still or slowly backpedaling". Particularly as now you can apparently parry arrows with your sword revengeance style.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Section Z posted:

I think I heard the chase mechanic includes "Are they holding a bow or thrown weapon? You run faster towards them" somewhere, and I'm hoping that's just hyperbole and not an actual thing.

At least a speed boost when chasing after cowards who turn their back and run feels good. I can't imagine feeling very proud of myself that I got a leg up against "Man holding still or slowly backpedaling". Particularly as now you can apparently parry arrows with your sword revengeance style.

If you run away your attacker is faster I read somewhere which is a bummer.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I'm curious as to what they expect you to do in higher levels of horde mode other than hole up at the top of a tower that has a ranged weapon and ammo with a ladder that the AI can't figure out. At least until the fire guys come and you need to kite all day. Trying to legit melee stops being an option once it starts sending a dozen fully armored enemies at you with every wave. It's all kiting and holding scout towers.

Yeah, horde would be better if the individual waves were divided into smaller sub-waves that spawn at set intervals. That way it'd be more of a race to kill them quickly before getting overwhelmed, instead of just running in circles around the map with a huge train behind you beheading them one at a time.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Glenn Quebec posted:

If you run away your attacker is faster I read somewhere which is a bummer.
Oh I'm perfectly fine with a catch up mechanic against people who are running away. I'm just curious if some"gently caress archers!" mentality has actually resulted in speed boosts against people who are merely holding a bow. Or if it's an exaggeration and chase mechanics are still just for when people turn tail and run.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Section Z posted:

Oh I'm perfectly fine with a catch up mechanic against people who are running away. I'm just curious if some"gently caress archers!" mentality has actually resulted in speed boosts against people who are merely holding a bow. Or if it's an exaggeration and chase mechanics are still just for when people turn tail and run.

I think it's the latter tbh

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I asked on the reddit, I'll get us an answer soon enough. I can also test it later with a buddy when I get home if there's any doubt.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Reddits response: git gud

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the mordhau reddit's been pretty dope on average, plus the devs read it a lot so I'm hoping not too many lies will be told

e: someone says you get a speed bonus after sprinting for a few moments, maybe that's confusing people?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Pls don’t get mad at good players

Poistiant
Aug 22, 2006

VulgarandStupid posted:

I'm gonna fuckin do it.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

VulgarandStupid posted:

But imagine all the articles I could write if I did!

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I am mad at everyone at all times but defending the poor oppressed good players is such a weird take to get from anything anyone has said.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Let's just stop talking about "good players." I don't think people's complaints are about people that have good reactions and are able to won 3v1 on skill and their opponents killing one another. The people that ruin matches are the people running around playing helicopter, which completely ruin the game for people that don't know how to counter it and it can be difficult to counter at times.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Babe Magnet posted:

I asked on the reddit, I'll get us an answer soon enough. I can also test it later with a buddy when I get home if there's any doubt.
Fresh games do make for a lot of mysteries, even with a pre-launch build, yeah. I was garbage at archery itself in Chivalry so even if it WAS a thing, not like I'd see it put to use by enemy archers I was trying to shoot with archery. I did notice a dirt cheap hot archer on archer violence perk though :buddy:

I would be equally unsurprised if it was a real thing as I would be if it was not. Because while the Jacob's ladder maximim propeller blade limbo is gone, the Chivalry core fanbase probably isn't.

On a lighter note. While I've been sitting on it till the cash/exp deal has been sorted, I'm already very thankful to this thread for pointing out things the game doesn't.

Like how shields for sale just have "No stats for this" as their information. Rather than something as important as "Oh, you can't just BLOCK with those shields. You just get an extended parry!"

Maybe I'll look at the hobo dressup options in the meantime. I got excited my ancient alpha presets were fine, but actaually clicking on those and the alpha defaults got turbo hosed. "Peasant shirt and shorts. Peasant shirt and shorts. Reverted to a generic breasplate and shorts. Peasant shirt and generic greaves"

EDIT: Huh, literally everything in the gear section is locked :stare: (and they don't even list prices like they did last night. Just a level number and lock icon). Do they not even give you some default freebie weapons for custom loadouts? Or was the idea "Throw them some tutorial cash, that's worth five expensive weapons!" and that was thrown off kilter by the fact even the tutorial can end up not paying out?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 30, 2019

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

dogstile posted:

The trick to playing while badatvideogames is to just pick up a spear and follow around the big clumps of zerging newbies. When they all clump up on some guy with a zweihander who's about to kill three of them with one swing you run behind him and poke him in the butt/foot from out of his reach.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The trick to playing while badatvideogames is to just pick up a spear and follow around the big clumps of zerging newbies. When they all clump up on some guy with a zweihander who's about to kill three of them with one swing you run behind him and poke him in the butt/foot from out of his reach.

Yeah, the premade class with a spear (footman, I think) is really good for getting a feel for things. The healing pack helps a lot too. Also, spears actually have salvageable horizontal attacks, you just have to be really aware of your range.

I'd like it if the points ticked a bit faster in Frontline mode. Those games feel like they take forever unless it's a complete stomp. Maybe it's worse when the server isn't actually full.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

So apparently sometime soon they're going to reset everyone to level 5, reset all unlocks, and give everyone 5k gold. Probably when they get progression sorted out.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 30, 2019

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Babe Magnet posted:

So apparently sometime soon they're going to reset everyone to level 5, reset all unlocks, and give everyone 5k gold.

Will they give the 2.5k for the tutorial back too, or let us do it again?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

That I don't know. I imagine if they're doing some kind of database rollback you might just be able to do it again. They haven't mentioned it and no one's asking.

e: also everyone on the reddit is calling the progression reset/gold bug "Feudal Tax" lol

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Babe Magnet posted:

So apparently sometime soon they're going to reset everyone to level 5, reset all unlocks, and give everyone 5k gold. Probably when they get progression sorted out.

This is good news. I'll goof off against bots or whatever and not care about the rest.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

WTF is a backwards overhead?

Also the game seemed playable to me at 300 ping, but maybe I got super lucky or don't know what last feels like in the game yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the thing in chivalry where you equip a zweihander, and turn around the exact moment your overhead attack begins so you hit them at full strength instantly with the startup

Also know as the thing, alongside helicoptering, that completely ruined Chivalry combat lol