Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I still feel like more than anything I encounter zweihanders left, right and centre.

I’d complain but all my favourite weapons are polearms because none of the swords feel quite “right” to me though longsword is close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

The only weapons I can’t stand fighting against are zweihanders (because they’re always slightly longer and slightly faster than I expect), messers (I am, for some reason, completely incapable of reading any messer attacks and will block all of them with my face) and rapiers (because I feel like countering rapier thrust spam takes way more effort on my part than it does for the wielder to smash their scroll wheel up).

All of the issues here aren’t that the weapons are OP, it’s that I’m bad and need to git gud.

but for real gently caress rapiers

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Started using the longsword last night and something just 'clicked' and now I'm regularly getting around 20 kills a game where I previously would be hitting high single digits if I was lucky. I don't think it's anything to do with the longsword really, I think I've just internalised better positioning and situational awareness for Frontlines and panic a lot less (though still too much) in duels. I've fantastic way to get inside your opponents head is to refuse to engage in their wiggling, weaving, strafing in and out bullshit many opponents launch in to the second after you flourish and just stand still and wait for them to come to you - it seems to really frustrate people and they inevitably charge in and do something dumb and leave themselves open for a thrust to the head.

Having used the longsword a lot more now, I'm kind of bummed out about the poleaxe, it's a super cool weapon historically and I love the way it looks but I can't see why I'd ever take it over a longsword. The longsword is faster, has the same reach, and does comparable enough damage for a point less. I'd kind of like to see the devs bump the poleaxe point cost back up and tack on a little range.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I’ve started playing Bardiche as my go-to in Frontline and I’m noticing and appreciating just how many people don’t wear good armour, or leave their heads completely unarmoured :getin:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

my plan is to get in and take advantage of the first part and get out before the other two parts set in

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

School Nickname posted:

The game is far more fun than Mordhau. I think I've actually seen more maps in both betas than in Mordhau proper, lol. Duel servers are accomodating and there's far less Accel/drag horseshit so you can figure combat out at your own pace. The worst I've seen is feint spam from shield users and some weird feints from vanguard's, but at least you can adapt. The only outright annoying thing are Messer vanguard's who constantly dodge your riposte and get an easy hit in. If that fails it just descends into a riposte stamina war. The messer is ridiculous damage wise, suits all over the longsword.

What is it with these games and messers being absolute bullshit. It feels like weird katana worship, HEMA edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Had a blast with what I've played so far, absolutely loving playing Footman with a spear. Dashing back out of someone's swing range and then poking them in the face is intensely satisfying.