Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Game is fun but I am super bad at it.

I've been doing a short spear and shield but I don't want to be That Guy so I guess I should switch. What lets me kill the 1500 assholes with executioner swords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The inexplicable contingent of players who join every single game where you can play a sniper and then do literally nothing but snipe ineffectually from max range for 1500 hours is here in force.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

archer spam is annoying, but most archers are the type that sits at their spawn shooting specks in the distance, so just flank long way around and get a quad kill with your estoc or whatever, imo. the type of archer who sits 5 feet behind his front line and picks off everyone trying to retreat to heal is horrifying to see though.

my problem with archers is that if you flank round and get the jump on them they just instantly whip out a longsword and are 99% as combat effective as you are

megane
Jun 20, 2008

i'm rank 15 and have literally never ended a round above 1:1 KD

it's me, i am the pubbie

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Does blocking with your fists actually do anything

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Horde mode is pretty half-baked though. The enemies do not know how to climb ladders, so when I tried every round ended with one guy in a sniper tower s l o o o o o o w l y sniping down the entire wave.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Turn off team colors and expand markers to own team.

Now everyone's colors are as picked and your friends have floating crosses! You'll still hit them, and they'll still hit you.

This doesn't really help, because the crosses are easy to lose track of at close range, which it where it matters. Just make it blue vs. yellow, it's not a hard problem.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Do what I did; turn off the chat box and never turn it back on

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It's disgraceful how many people use the default loadouts and/or throw on the default armor bits and don't bother picking colors. :sad:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Telltolin posted:

I played a little bit after the patch and really like it! Even groggy and pre-morning-coffee I was able to take out some shield+rapier users with stuff that would've just clonked off before and landed a few kicks. I don't notice much of a difference with stabbing at all. But I haven't tried rapier or estoc today. Bastard sword felt fine, and it's dope that they're on top of stuff like this :)

I also haven't tried buying anything so I don't know if I'm still afflicted by the infinite loading screen bug after buying stuff. I didn't see a mention of it in the patch notes but maybe I missed it.
I mean, the stab nerf is a whopping 25 milliseconds. I'm sure people are going to scream LOL NOOB EVEN TEN MS IS AN ETERNITY WHEN YOU'RE ANY GOOD SCRUB :smugdog: but it seems absurdly tiny to me.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

how does this game not have giant golden codpieces yet

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Parachute posted:

thanks for the info. i had to leave the first and only game i got to play last night so i dont think i got anything for that time spent in game but i havent checked yet.

i'm definitely thinking about trying a hybrid setup with a few mouse buttons bound to directional attacks, but im wondering how do you bind parry & feint to RMB - is one of them an "alt + RMB"? also what mouse sensitivity are yall using?

There's a keybind on the list which is literally called "parry or feint."

e: the downside is, if you want to cancel an attack into a parry, you have to click twice and it charges you the stamina for the feint. I use it but it's dumb that it works this way.

megane fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 16, 2019

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Minorkos posted:

It costs the same amount regardless.

Oh, I didn't know that. My mistake.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

My favorite bandage story is nearly killing a guy, having him retreat behind his team and pull out a bandage, and then having his five or so buddies completely ignore me as I charged past them and took off his head.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I don't understand why they don't just put a red outline around enemies, every other game does it, and it would fix the entire problem perfectly

Or is this one of those idiotic H I S T O R I C A L I M M E R S I O N things

megane
Jun 20, 2008

hakimashou posted:

Horses are actually really cool

i stab unoccupied horses and friendly horse riders to death just on principle

i don't stab friendly catapult users but that's only because another guy will come along and grab it two seconds later

megane
Jun 20, 2008

If your inventory is full you can't pick things up, but if you look at the thing and hold E (or whatever button) it will swap it with whatever you're currently holding.

However, as that poster said, it's faster to drop the old thing and then pick up the new thing normally.

e: damnit I should've dropped my post first

megane
Jun 20, 2008

All horses need is for the 2HP bump from the gigantic force field that extends 15 feet in every direction from the horse to not instantly knock you out of whatever attack you're aiming at the guy

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The only person who enjoys the existence of horses is the guy on the horse

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

It's an interesting and unique game, and the fact that it uses a more grounded setting is a major part of that. Kingdom Come's problem is just that it's obviously impossible to be completely realistic, so you're left wondering why they made gameplay concessions in some cases and not in others. Why waste my time with this tedious nonsense x when you've simply abstracted y?

It's because the tedious/stupid/awful nonsense was what they wanted, and "historical realism" was an excuse. See also: basically all fiction that bills itself on "historical realism."

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The mace's thing is it does almost as much to 3/3/3 as it does to naked dudes

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Stretch Marx posted:

Literally 4 other front line maps based around cqc and they make one wide open and everyone flips their poo poo.

Goons gunna goon.

"All the other maps are 20-40% poo poo and they made one that's 90% poo poo and everyone's mad lol"

megane
Jun 20, 2008

timn posted:

(or might just stuff you instead if their stab is faster than your morphed strike?)

It's this, the rapier stab comes out in 0.00005 seconds so chamber morphing them only works if they stop attacking (they won't) or your weapon is stupidly fast and you accel the swing. Basically you have to be super good to even have a chance to maybe hit them once while they press one button over and over forever.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

TheAardvark posted:

also, once again, what the gently caress is with the blue ballista on Crossroads? Why is it spawn protected, AND pointing directly at the only important part of the map? When the red one is neither?

Because they build maps by:

1) Placing poo poo wherever
2) Pushing to live

megane
Jun 20, 2008

timn posted:

Both teams have this and it's like literally a 5 second run.

Unrelated, killing a dude by hitting him twice with the same javelin. :kiss:

my favorite kill ever was disarming a rapier guy, grabbing the rapier, throwing it at him, pulling it out of his chest, and then throwing it at him again

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Also "friendly" horses are just as loud as enemy ones, and horselords of both teams spend all their time riding in circles at random rather than contributing to the fight in some way, so the only way to know which is which is to physically turn and look at them. So you're fighting a guy and you hear hooves and have no way to know if it's an enemy coming to kill you or a friendly coming to steal your kill. Or, most likely of all, a friendly coming to teamkill you and then run into a bush and get murdered.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Have at them, giiiirls :byodame:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I'm still waiting for them to put in women and non-white guys

Any day now

megane
Jun 20, 2008

They promised female and non-white characters, and I'm holding them to that promise and not playing until they make good

That is to say, I'm not playing ever again

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Does it have characters that aren't white dudes

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Played it for a few hours. Seems fun. Lots of getting killed from nowhere by a crossbow rear end in a top hat or some siege engine a million miles away, but I guess that's part of the genre now. Some networking problems, as other people have said; hopefully those get worked on. I feel like blocking is too easy; people don't seem to need to look at your weapon or whatever. They just stare straight at you and block everything anyway.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

My only problem with archers (in both Mordhau and Chiv) is that they still get a loving sword. You picked a weapon that lets you kill people from a mile away on top of a wall in perfect safety; fine, but you should pay for your cowardice by being completely hosed if you’re stupid enough to let someone get into melee range. Instead, you press one button and you’re like 95% as effective as anyone else.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The problem is that you should die for getting greedy and making mistakes. In melee you get greedy when you push in and get surrounded, you make mistakes like missing parries and getting chambered and poo poo, and then you die for it. Sometimes you die for one tiny timing mistake, or for no mistake at all because, well, archers exist. But an archer who lets a melee guy get next to him has already been super greedy and made a series of huge gently caress-ups. He had ample time to shoot the attacker - with perfect impunity and unblockable arrows that kill in one head-shot - as he was closing, but he still didn't manage to get the kill. He could at any point have stopped shooting to retreat, but he didn't. The melee guys on his team could easily have come to save him, but they didn't. He was already given the massive advantage of getting to stand up on a wall or behind his team or whatever and still be completely effective, but he squandered that and got overrun. He's already hosed up enough to justify his death three times over.

Instead, he gets to pull out a sword, and all of those mistakes are instantly wiped away and he's right back to where a melee-on-melee fight starts - probably in an advantageous position, even, because he gets to pick the terrain (the melee guy has to come to the archer, otherwise the archer will just go back to his bow), may have gotten some arrows into the attacker, and is almost certainly near his allies.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Simple fix for this would be for melee damage received while bow is equipped to be increased by 50% and have the bow ---> melee weapon swap animation take about 3x as long.

Being a ranged build is fine as long as it's a meaningful choice with a serious downside in exchange for the serious upside of being able to kill at a distance. Few if any games have ever gotten this right in the genre.
This is a step in the right direction, but... the archer generally has plenty of time to get ready. Making him press the swap button earlier only matters if he gets snuck up on.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Also in some games you can report the Nazis and it actually results in consequences for them sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The Chad Jihad posted:

I guess you could make this a catch-all First Person Stabbers thread? Just spit-ballin

I vote for starting a new thread but making it a catch-all like this. Just make it mainly about Chiv 2 and then put some brief info on Mordhau and Chiv 1 and For Honor and maybe like M&B in the second post or whatever.