Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I never checked, are javelins back in? Because that was the funnest poo poo in Chivalry. You could keep poking dudes from a real nice range, and if they annoy you just throw it right into their face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/gcMbO1z.mp4

Game's good, though the servers are apparently on fire right now, with plenty of lag and packet loss. Been messing around a bit with the customization. The original stackable javelins don't seem to be in, but you still can take a short spear that's excellent for poking while also being throwable, and you still have enough weight left over to carry a decent sidearm. The maul also makes a glorious return, including the ability to crush a guy's head in a single strike :getin:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Anybody else get the thing that sometimes attack inputs just won't be recognized at all? It seems vaguely related to attack direction, for some weapons it seems to pop up most often when I'm around 90° to the right.

Also, I can't help but :laffo: to see them having gone to all these lenghts with the customization system, only to have what feels like 80% of the playerbase run around with heavy armour and two-handed swords.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Comrayn posted:

^^^ see my description of horde mode below

My experience has been completing the tutorial after three baby interruptions then quick matching into horde mode which seems to be killing floor but with peasants instead of zombies. So I didn’t get a chance to do much but I did buy a shield while playing and could not tell the difference in terms of my defense. Is there a separate button to hold a block? Right click was still parry.

Lol hell yeah

I think it depends on the size of the shield. Buckler and Targe only seem enhance your regular parry by giving you a more generous parry area (and might also reduce stamina costs as well, I dunno). But the larger shields from Heater and upwards should just allow you to hold block for as long as you like.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, short spear is really great for playing footsies. Lure them into an attack, step back (or dodge) out of range, then jump right back in with a thrust. That's usually a guaranteed hit, since misses have such a long recovery. The only real downside is that you're so reliant on thrusts that it's actually fairly easy to chamber you. Also your throw deals pretty massive damage.

Has anybody found a use for the alternate modes of some of the axes and the longspear, where you just choke up on the grip? It's supposed to be a bit faster or something, but I've yet to notice a real difference.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I'm curious as to what they expect you to do in higher levels of horde mode other than hole up at the top of a tower that has a ranged weapon and ammo with a ladder that the AI can't figure out. At least until the fire guys come and you need to kite all day. Trying to legit melee stops being an option once it starts sending a dozen fully armored enemies at you with every wave. It's all kiting and holding scout towers.

Yeah, horde would be better if the individual waves were divided into smaller sub-waves that spawn at set intervals. That way it'd be more of a race to kill them quickly before getting overwhelmed, instead of just running in circles around the map with a huge train behind you beheading them one at a time.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Gotta say, bear traps seem like a kinda dumb addition. Particularly when combined with archer platforms that have only a single ladder leading up to them.

Anyhow, a lesson in why helmets are important:
https://i.imgur.com/Ajoj4ta.mp4

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Well, one thing I learned is that most one-handed weapons seem to combo rather poorly with heavy armour. I've tried going full walking tank with heavy armour, big-rear end shield, and a mace, and you're just too drat slow to control range at all. Anybody with a two-handed anything can kite your poo poo all day long unless you manage to back them into a wall. Same kit worked out much better on a middle-light armoured guy. Also tried the poleaxe, and it seems really good so far. Swords can go the gently caress home :colbert:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Glenn Quebec posted:

Separately, the chuds on the steam forums are blowing a loving gasket about the fact that the developers are doing to put in :females:

Gonna be playing exclusively black lady characters with the weirdest faces the random generator can put out :getin:.

Also, the projectile/weapon physics are continually amazing:
https://i.imgur.com/O9qbj0C.mp4

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I'm starting to really like the humble warhammer as a backup weapon. It's cheap as hell at just 2 points, but it's still capable of killing even max-armoured tin cans in just three hits (two if you hit the head). It's reasonably quick to swing and even has an alternate mode that offers a decent damage boost against people with light/no armour. Only downside is its short range, though usually when I'm using a class with several weapons I'm at medium/fast speed anyway.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You can riposte off of any block, including with shields.
Well i'm not sure about the pavise. I think rather than holding that one to block you have to physically set it down on the ground? The intended medieval purpose being cover from archer fire while you plink at things with crossbows.

Yeah, the pavise is basically a deployable that you set down and huddle behind. Though I think it still blocks ranged attacks even when you're just holding it in your hands.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The halberd is real, and strong, and my friend.
https://i.imgur.com/tSyvGFb.mp4

Seriously, I knew it was the weapon for me when I looked at its stats and saw it had two modes: Murder, and Murder.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Orv posted:

Chambering recovers faster, so if you're exclusively on the defense against a faster weapon you can get back on the attack.

That said I'm starting to notice some ugly cheese with rapiers. It's fast enough on the stab that if someone is face hugging you you're basically not going to be able to parry it without super low ping/high framerate so people are just going around with rapiers stabbing repeatedly with no consequence. Footwork is the answer but it's not always the easiest to get away in the bigger modes.

Yeah, I've ran into the same thing. Met a guy who'd just hold W and spam stabs, and there was pretty little I could do. Even when I got the timing down to chamber the thrust, his next attack auto-chambered my own chamber, and I couldn't recover in time to do anything about that one and got hit. Couldn't get back out of reach, either, since we had similar armour and going forwards is faster than backwards.

On that note, I kinda wish there was a slightly larger collision radisu between player characters. Sometimes dudes get in so close you can't even see their weapon anymore, though it can still damage you.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Man, some of these frontlines maps are stupendously unbalanced. I have no idea how the blue team is supposed to ever win Camp, for example. Taiga's not much better off, either.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I've been kinda staying away from swords so far because there's too many of them around already, but I gotta say, bastard sword and buckler does feel pretty nice. Damage is alright, it's pretty quick, and it's juuuust got enough range to play footsies. Anyway, have some gifs:

The rare 7-chamber combo:
https://i.imgur.com/1LZt94i.mp4

Sic semper archers:
https://i.imgur.com/DmGGHni.mp4

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

One thing I'd recommend early on is finding yourself a small server. Doesn't even have to be a dedicated Duel server, just something that's like 12 players or fewer. It's generally less frustrating if you've got some time to actually see what's going on without getting immediately steamrolled by half a dozen people the moment you turn around. Besides, it also tends to be a way more chill atmosphere, letting you shoot the poo poo with the others and do dumb stuff.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

The tutorial basically teaches you everything you can do and how to do it.

Almost none of it is actually used in the game proper, it usually devolves into various adjustments of your swinging sword and parrying. You can technically chamber, kick, blah blah blah, but even the MLG superstars don't exactly do it often/ever. Not because it isn't useful, just that it's awkward and dangerous.

Yeah, chambering is cool and all, but most of the time it just gives you a fairly minor speed advantage over a regular riposte while being riskier and costing more stamina. So far I mostly use chambering against thursts, since that animation tends to be fairly difficult to read for the enemy, and you seem to suffer less knockback so you can close distance easier. Besides, the sparking looks cool. As for that move where you deflect an attack with the actual swing of your own weapon, that happens for me 100% by accident and never on purpose. :v:

But yeah, the vast majority of the fights I do win "properly" (i.e. by not just chunking a fool in the back of the head :v:) have fairly little to do with chambering, dragging, pulling, or somesuch stuff. Instead, for me it's pretty much all about playing footsies and controlling distance. Forcing your opponent to miss is often the best thing you can do defensively, because that's a guaranteed hit right there, whereas both ripostes and chambers usually still allow them the opportunity to parry. Besides, having some dude's greatsword whistle by an inch in front of your face before stabbing them right in the throat is the smuggest feeling.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mega Comrade posted:

Is it just me or are most the frontlines maps massively red favoured?

Mounitain Peak feels fairly even, but yeah especially Camp and Taiga seem pretty lopsided. In both the Blues have to attack the central point across a river through a narrow chokepoint, with the main flanking route going right past the red respawn, whereas red has a much easier selection of paths into it from their side. Also on Camp red gets a catapult for shits and giggles, while blue gets a lovely ballista that can't hit anything useful. :psyduck:

VVVV Weird, on Camp I have literally never seen blue even manage to fulfill the "blow up the siege towers" objective :v: VVVV

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 6, 2019

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So, it looks like Chivalry windmill shenanigans are not quite stamped out yet. Played against a guy recently who still could do full 360s with a Zweihänder and basically broke the gently caress out of the animations, presumably by cranking his sensitivity to infinity. Extremely tricky to parry, and borderline impossible to play footsies against.

Also, sic semper horsedudes:
https://i.imgur.com/AWad7UC.mp4

Also also, the gore can be surprisingly gruesome at times :stare:
https://i.imgur.com/zGp4YJJ.mp4

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

TorakFade posted:

So, I found a channel on youtube of a guy explaining how medieval stuff worked, from peasant vs knight's food, to shields, to riding techniques etc.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMjlDOf0UO9wSijFqPE9wBw/featured

I have absolutely no idea if what he says is factuually correct but it would seem at least plausible, and I found it decently entertaining while working and waiting to jump in Mordhau again once my shift's over

It looks to be pretty decent, though perhaps not going all that deep. If you like this sort of thing, one of the best channels for this sort of sword :spergin: is probably by Matt Easton, who not just studies this stuff but also practices historical martial arts: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt14YOvYhd5FCGCwcjhrOdA

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Bum the Sad posted:

Lol anyway I stumbled into this video game thread to see if this game was worth buying and found the hand wringing of the last few pages.

Anyway does this games fun actually have any longevity to it or is it seeming like a one weekend and some type of game?

It's probably gonna be around for a while. For comparison, the indirect precursor to this game (Chivalry) started out in 2007 as a mod, got turned into a full game in 2012, and was decently active until pretty much just now.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Man, I tried the Bill for a while and I want to like it, but they really did it dirty. The drat thing actually does less swing damage than the bastard sword.:psyduck: It's reasonably decent at thrusting, but as it stands it's basically a mild upgrade to the Short Spear at best. Arguably not even that, seeing how it's slower, two-handed, and its secondary mode is entirely useless. Back to the Poleaxe for my medium-weight polearm needs.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Wheeee posted:

this game needs saracens and samurai and poo poo

pity about all the chuds in this game

Yeah, I'm really hoping they'll keep adding in a wider variety of weapons from other eras and locations. We've got like half a dozen varieties of two-handed straight sword around, surely there's room for some cool poo poo from elsewhere, too.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, DW actually mitigated the worst of the windmill shenanigans by scaling damage to how far along your attack animation was. Though at the same time it also scaled up the speed of just about everything, which was a bit of a step down from the more measured pace of vanilla Chiv.

And yeah, Spartan owned. Throw your spear at the first opportunity and then just go chunking fools with the hugeass falcata. :getin:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The :goonsay: in me is getting a bit irrationally annoyed about the sword bias of the weapon selection. The loving messer actually deals more damage to medium and heavy armour than the poleaxe axehead. And literally twice the damage of the billhook. My immersion! :v:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Public service announcement: The bardiche is fun and good. Imagine a maul that trades in the 1hk for like twice the range. And of course the invaluable ability to lop off limbs and heads. :getin:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Personally I cannot for the life of me get used to using level 3 armour. Even just a helmet seems to have such an impact on your speed that it's a significant hindrance to controlling distance, and a full 3 loadout makes you borderline immobile. Besides, level 2 is generally enough to avoid 1hks from just about everything, which is more or less everything I want what with how easy it is to regain health.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, mostly it feels like stabbing active frames just start really rather early, which can make for some pretty deceptive animations particularly with the larger swords when you're up close. They look like they're still in their regular parry animation, but then the very instant the sword turns horizontal you eat like 40+ damage.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Man, firebomb spam is getting kinda dumb. Just had a game on mountain peak where the opposing team had several people with 2+ firebombs, and basically the entire objective area was on fire 24/7

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zotix posted:

The fact you can parry with light weapons is odd as well. There is no way if someone is swinging one of those heavier weapons that you are going to successfully parry IRL.

They do seem to get a fairly significant penalty to stamina drain when parrying larger weapons, though. Like when I'm up against a rapier with my maul or war axe, I basically just have to pummel into their parry a few times before the sword goes flying and I get the free kill.

Of course now all the loving rapierists just roll around with kite shields that completely obviate that penalty, so that's not much help anymore. :negative:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Man, I really wanna like the Eveningstar, but I just can't quite make it click. It's not bad, as such, but at 8 points it seems kinda overcosted for what it does. Maul and War-Axe do the two-hit kill thing just as well (arguably better) at fewer points. Hell, so does the Mace at half the cost, although with shorter range. Similarly, two-handed swords do the stabby thing better while still often just losing one hit-to-kill on swings. Kinda wish it was just a bit longer and worked like a pseudo-polehammer. :saddowns:

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 16, 2019

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

:hfive:

https://i.imgur.com/QeBQeI0.mp4

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I've tried eveningstar, estoc, and mace so far. What's another fun weapon, assuming I don't want giant swords, pole arms, or the maul?

War Axe is legit. Two hit kill on everything much like the maul (though without the 1hk on armoured heads), but a fair bit faster and you get to cut limbs off.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I love it when I see some guy getting really mad about people using like a shield or the maul, and then you see them on the field and they're using a spear or rapier themselves. And they get huffy about it when you point that out. :allears:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Please help I'm addicted to Dodge and can't make any classes without it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Speaking of:
https://i.imgur.com/Kcat2ak.mp4

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 07:04 on May 21, 2019

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Speaking of performance issues, I've finally nailed down why I had common frame-drops in various maps despite playing on a pretty beefy machine: It was windowed/borderless mode all along. Unlike many other games, performance in windowed/borderless was way worse than in fullscreen, and switching over to fullscreen fixed pretty much all of it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I can kinda see why throwing weapons can't feint, simply because it would throw the usual risk/reward dynamic out of whack. In melee, if I go with a feint, there's a clear trade-off: I increase my odds of getting past the opponent's defense, but in return I fall behind on the stamina gain, and, depending on the weapons involved, might be vulnerable to a well-timed counterattack. With throwing weapons that same thing doesn't apply: You increase your odds of hitting, and have no risk nor trade-off whatsoever. Pile on too many of these things, and you could end up with a dynamic where the only real counter to ranged weapons are other ranged weapons, which, well, let's not.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

After trying just about every other weapon first, I finally got around to giving the Longsword a proper whirl. Turns out it's good. Like really good. Never quite realised the drat thing is a guaranteed three-hit-kill even against lvl 3 armour. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/RZsO2Mt.mp4
:feelsgood:

They still should delete horses from most of the maps tho.