Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So umm why does it seem like some people close 5-10 foot.gaps while horizontal swinging broadswords and I don't seem to do the same? Is this a perk, a mechanic, or just what the game engine does at times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So do I just hold forward, or do I stand still and hit forward at the same time that I swing?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I know there are some guides in the OP, are there any others worth reading/watching well? Or any youtubers of note? My game was crashing constantly 2 days ago, and a new driver came out yesterday and I was able to play an hour and a half earlier with no issues, so I'm hoping that trend continues and I can focus on learning more of the mechanics.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What is the downside of playing a short spear? Stabbing imo seems to deal far too much damage for the few downsides that it has. Slashing takes almost twice as long in any situation, and doesn't deal double the damage. Playing the mouse wheel up game whenever I run into into a short spear user just isn't fun and engaging, and they almost always have a faster recovery than any other weapon.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

It honestly feels like it. Just a few tweaks would bring it in line, but stabbing right now has too high of damage for how fast it is. Not to mention it can be paired with extremely long range weapons. I haven't personally played as short spear but playing against them is just more effort than I should be. Even if I chamber their attack it feels like they recover faster and can keep pressing with their bullshit.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So if a spear user stands at me, and I stay right as they stab, that's a chamber right? How do you follow that up and hit them before they can recover? Do you just use another attack during the clashing of weapons?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Lol equipped executioner sword, first game over 20 kills. In front lines you either play stabby stab, or you play a weapon that has 1 hit kill potential on targets with 1 armor or less. Can you be successful with other stuff? Absolutely. However, there is a definite advantage to using one of the above.

Also feel free to sub the maul for the executioner sword.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The accells and decells do add a skill level to the game, but that is definitely part to do with the hellicoptering bullshit. You see someone at a 99 degree angle and they hit you and 2 other people. It really takes you out of it when you see poo poo routinely by the level 30 players. I see it a lot with feints. Like they start the Accel with the feint so that the follow up attack is accelerated. There's definitely a level of skill associated with it, but it looks loving completely janky and unrealistic when it happens.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What is with the ping in this game? Everyones ping is constantly fluctuating like 40ms. Additionally, I can't find a single server blew 60ms, and when I get in game it's always closer to 80. Any other FPS game I play, I'll find plenty of servers where I'm sub 40ms.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The fact you can parry with light weapons is odd as well. There is no way if someone is swinging one of those heavier weapons that you are going to successfully parry IRL.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

Lol reading about people's complaints that directly correlates to what killed them last always makes me laugh

Edgy.

There's a legitimate argument to be made about the state of stab attacks, and the effort needed to counter it. Maybe Spears, need their costs readjusted, maybe it needs to use more stamina, maybe it needs less damage. But you can't go on the offensive vs someone with a short spear, armor, and a shield. You have to wait for them to attack(which comes out in .5 seconds from 10 feet away), perfectly time a chamber, and counter. It's a problem. I'm not saying nerf it in the ground, but I am saying that it needs to be looked at because the game is going already gravitating toward stabbing in Frontline, and will only get worse.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

2 patches ago, i crashed hourly. Last patch, not one crash. This morning, I've crashed once. Lets hope this poo poo doesn't continue.

Crash #2. Whelp, game dead until next patch.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 15, 2019

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

How many of you use the 240 system vs actually keybinding all of the attacks?

From what I understand all of the chivalry tryhards keybind all their poo poo.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I must have chambered spears 50 times today, and not one single time was I able to capitalize on it. I legitimately have no idea what the hell to do to counter spears/ poke.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I've gotten away from picking bloodlust, and using bandage instead. It really frees up what you can do with a build, and the bandage are even faster healing than the 1 point perk that increases regen.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Going with red for a team color is just such a bad idea. Blue team is at a disadvantage any time they are bloody. I honestly wish I was memeing when I said this, but the number of times that I've been hit while bloody on blue team is unreal. Maybe 3-4 times a match, at least.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I just got 660xp on camp. Was a long match and as winners we won with only like 50 points remaining since we snatched a heavily fortified middle about 4 min from the end. I ended up going 36-12 which was probably my best k:d for a high scoring match to date. It was also the highest XP I've ever received by a long shot. I did shoot 3 horsies with balista which is probably one of the most satisfying things in the game.

Also I like the zweihander waaaaaay more than the executioner sword at this point. Yeah it's like 3 more points, but the fact you can actually stab with it makes up for it. Plus you can half sword with it which makes stabbing a ton better, and if you need to you can helicopter almost as well as the executioner.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 17, 2019

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I've tried eveningstar, estoc, and mace so far. What's another fun weapon, assuming I don't want giant swords, pole arms, or the maul?

How is the evening star? I've heard some streamers say that it's one of the top tier weapons in the game right now.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I feel like in 24h I just poo poo the bed. Woke up and went 9/19. Yesterday before work I was going 30+ kills ad like 15 deaths. Today my timing is poo poo, my distance is poo poo, my aiming is poo poo.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Let's get the few that are in game balanced first.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

They really need to look at the snow map, and assess how quickly blue can approach the first capture point for Red. Have I seen Red teams win the map? Yes, definitely. However, there is a distinct advantage on how quickly blue can control red's first control point and just clinch the match in a couple of minutes. Once red gets pinned in, it's hard as gently caress for them to push out as well. Where-as blue's spawn is open and aren't forced into choke points to get out of the spawn. That's why when you bunker blue, they almost always can counter push and even take the first point of theirs before Red can respawn. The same can't be said about Red. I suppose this is a problem when you don't run symmetrical maps, but god drat they launched with 4 maps for frontline, and 2 of them are heavily biased to one team.

Blue's first point also has a giant cliff that over looks it which means they can't really be attacked except for archers for a good chunk of the point. Red's point can be attacked 360 degrees, and it's easy for blue to just run past the archer tower and attack from behind and mop the team up.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 20, 2019

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

You and an enemy are fighting in an area. NPC catapult comes out of nowhere and knocks you and only you down. How/ Why is this possible?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

Camp has random trebuchet fire. Such is life

Ya but why isn't he knocked down as well?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

You were in the radius and he wasn't.

We were on top of each other. Bug, got it. Just like when people swing through mountain sides, and you can't. Got it.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

right, but i watched it land in between us both and we were maybe 5-7 feet apart. 2h swing range.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I do think archers and lutes should be capped per team. It really is frustrating to be on a team getting smashed and you look around and half the people are lute players, archers, or people practicing distance with their fists. I don't mind a bit of it,but when one team is trying and the other is just loving off, it gets a tad annoying.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I'm absolutely enjoying the evening star far more than the zwei. Even without a proper swing through mechanic, it just wrecks people. And it does swing through when you kill people. If you read the battle lines a bit and move around behind the fight it's not uncommon to kill two or three people in a swing.

I still haven't really found a use for the alt grip except for fighting indoors or inside the fort on tiaga. I've heard of people switching the grip in the middle of a fight, but I haven't really messed with that.

It still has all of the oh gently caress moments that the maul does when you feint someone, but it's not nearly as lovely as the maul.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What is the twirl I've seen people do with the maul? I've gone off several times today using the maul but I can't seem to do it myself, yet I witness it a lot from other maul users.

It feels like a stab into a horizontal but I don't think that's it.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Runaktla posted:

I kind of like Taiga’s imbalance just because it’s a good challenge.

Tiaga is bad but I really think mountain pass or w/e is actually worse. The way reds points are set up just spirals out of control to the point at which they get bunkered and it's very hard to get out.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Orv posted:

Gonna have to be more specific than twirl I'm afraid.

https://clips.twitch.tv/EnjoyableBraveMosquitoPupper

At about 11s in he does one. It might just be a horizontal into a stab.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I just started playing this over the weekend, and holy poo poo thank you to whoever was hyping up 3/3/3 Bloodlust + Arming Sword. Only way to play.

I've recently gone to 3/3/2 BL/ Arming/ Fire Proof. Because gently caress fire.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The poo poo that says you got a kill, but doesn't actually give you a kill and doesn't trigger bloodlust is annoying as gently caress.

This game is going to become a major slog as more of the community becomes proficient in the toolkit, if they don't make changes. You can already see it in some matches. 2 toolkits can lockdown entire areas of the map, especially when you get outside of the actual play area and hole up. I've seen people hole up on the archer tower on mountain pass and it's basically impossible for them to die aside from some crazy counter archer bullshit. Barricades at the bottom, spikes at the top, with balista's up top.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 30, 2019

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Nah, it's becoming a lot more common place. I've seen it happen a lot recently. As I said last page, this is also possible on mountain pass with the Archer tower near blues spawn. Except they can make it nearly impossible to stop on that stage.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Pro tip: don't play a lute on anything but a duel server. Thanks.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Nah, the poo poo wore off after the first week. It's old as gently caress now. Usually the team that loses is the one with gimmicky bullshit like people boxing, and lute players, and a ton of people wearing like no armor.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Whatever, I votekick all the lute players i see and 90% of the time it passes and they are gone. Works well enough for me.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Orv posted:

You seem like a hoot.

It was a hoot, the first week like I said. Now it's just obnoxious and old. I've stated my point and I'm done with it. Duel servers are fine for it.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I like fighting 1 or 2 people and right as you are about to finish off one of them, a friendly horse comes by and hits you and flinches you out of your attack animation, and doesn't hit them and allows the enemy to lop off your head. Best stuff.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Are ripostes subject to clipping? I've been noticing today that people will swing right through the environment while I'm hitting it, and I think they are ripostes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

God i loving hate most of the players playing this game. Spawn blue on Grad, run over to red Catapult, kill operator. Steal catapult, drive its slow rear end back to blue side, stopping to fight 2 people along the way. Get blindsided by a red player, stuck in janky 3rd person mode from when I was using the catapult, die. Respawn, some loving idiot on blue is wheeling the loving catapult back to the other side towards red behind the house. Like what in the actual gently caress?

It's also mindblowing that there are no servers for the southeast US. Like the closest poo poo is Dallas, which means I almost never have lower than 80 ping reliably. Some times it goes down to 60, but not for long.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 3, 2019