Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
One thing I miss from Chivalry is the bug where burning corpses would Never Stop Screaming.

Other than that, this game is the goddamn tits.

All hail The Lute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Phlegmish posted:

So...does the game have server issues or is something wrong with my settings? I can't seeł to join a game through matchmaking, and no servers are showing up on the server browser.

Funky thing is, it doesn't automatically populate the server list, you have to click on the refresh button first. And even still it gives no indication of activity, but it should plop up the list in a few seconds.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
My problem with Dodge is that I can absolutely never remember to loving use it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'd enjoy this game even more if it didn't start severy stuttering for a few seconds every few minutes. Really loving cool to be in a nice fight that's going well and suddenly HRRRKRRRKK and I'm dead because i can't loving see what's happening.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I've seen a lot of people running around with no shirt but they also don't appear to be running the peasant perk, since they have axes or zweihanders, so they aren't forced to have no armor.

Protip: this is a profoundly bad idea. You will get one shot by a lot of things. Even the light armor helps a ton.

Counterpoint: It is amusing and therefore the best idea.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I've been trying out different weapons, but my attire of kettle helmet and rags will go unchanged.

Well, I did create a couple more armoured dudes to change things up once in a while, but honestly I get loving rekt with them all the same, so :shrug:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
While we're posting media, I suppose I might as well throw in this stupid little montage I made of my first day in Mordhau.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EcdhGO5C0g

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
They actually differ a lot more on the character than those boxes seem. Like, the darkest one is really pretty dusky.

But yeah, it would be great if we could go full black just to hopefully give some chuds an aneurysm.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

SplitSoul posted:

I can never play without Flesh Wound again.

Same, after I punched someone to death with my bloody arm stump. Also it's funny how many people seem to declare mission accomplished when they get me to 0 and take me leg off or something. Then they just turn and try to walk away, only to get my flying falchion to the back of their head. Then I hop on over and collapse on top of them in a bloody heap, mid-laugh.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
This is my current pro "Dumbass in a kettle hat" build

:colbert:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Is there any point to using the bastard sword two-handed? According to the advanced stats screen the only difference is that it's slower. Is there something not evident from the stats?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Man, I am not doing well with the bastard sword. I keep loving whiffing with the stab constantly.

EDIT: Well, I say that and then immediately go on a four kill rampage shanking fools in the face. Go figure.

EDIT 2: Nevermind, back to sucking rear end again

Nordick fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 4, 2019

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Well at any rate I stopped bashing my head into the Frontline meatwall and switched to a 16 player TDM server, and just finished a match at 21/14, so I think I'm just better at smaller scale engagements. Or I'm just starting to get in the zone with the bastard/buckler combo. More testing is required.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I have found my true love and her name is War Axe

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Internet Kraken posted:

I remember like 5 (maybe more) years ago I played Chivalry and loved it. It was such a dumb fun game. But the MOST IMPORTANT part of Chivalry was that every class had ridiculous battle cries and taunts. Every match was a cacophony of rapturous screaming and archaic insults flung in thick English accents.

What I'm asking is, does this game have that same kind of feeling that Chivalry had? With the shouting and stabbing and general chaos?

The warcries and such are maaaaaaaybe a smidge less awesome than in Chivalry, but yeah it's utter loving mayhem, and it's glorious.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Note to self: if you see a guy named "Jax" in the opposite team, just walk the gently caress away. Jesus.

Perestroika posted:

One thing I'd recommend early on is finding yourself a small server. Doesn't even have to be a dedicated Duel server, just something that's like 12 players or fewer. It's generally less frustrating if you've got some time to actually see what's going on without getting immediately steamrolled by half a dozen people the moment you turn around. Besides, it also tends to be a way more chill atmosphere, letting you shoot the poo poo with the others and do dumb stuff.

Also seconding this advice. Just basic Free-for-all with 12 people is nice and chill (insofar as a game about bloody axe murders can be) and there's usually some amusing gimmick fuckery going on.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 5, 2019

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Comrayn posted:

The tiny baby man's sword, the rapier, is dumb and the weapon of fancy lad cowards. This delicate little thing should do no damage to armor.

:yeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erZ1YSa7m5I

:gibs: :black101: :gonk:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
It's not supposed to be a goddamn simulator but it's still realistic in relation to poo poo like For Honor. Get over it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Orv posted:

Frankly I don't think this thread is the place for it. They existed at all is reason enough for the colors to be in, that it is not a realistic historical game is reason enough for them to be in, that these types of game tend to attract a certain sort of type of human garbage is reason enough to be wary that the lack of the inclusion is something other than ignorance. Similarly I don't think we need to burn the place down witch hunting if they aren't openly lovely about it - and eventually fix it - and can just keep playing the game and whining about rapiers.

:emptyquote:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I get all my Medieval facts from A Knight's Tale, a historical docu-drama starring Heath Ledger

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I swear I'm the most inconsistent player in this game. I'll do okay one match, then the map changes and I just run face first into halberd swings for 15 minutes, then suddenly the stars shift and I carve through a dozen people like an avatar of death.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Bum the Sad posted:

What is Skirmish mode, I'm not seeing an explanation listed, it seems to only be available from server browser?

It's like Team Deathmatch, but instead of constant respawning like in TDM, dead people stay dead until one team loses and the next round begins.

Babe Magnet posted:

man that chivalry followup sure was... something...

It's really an impressive accomplishment just how aggressively uninteresting that game was

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'd loving love a Mordhau: Deadliest Warrior 2. C:DW was so loving good, better than main Chiv ever was imo. loving around as a pirate was the best.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Motherfucker posted:

yall are romanticizing it it was all loving terrible when you actually tried to play
Nope, it worked absolutely fine and was a great time all around.

Orv posted:

I mean it wasn't balanced in the slightest, even more-so than normal Chivalry but it came out before everyone learned to abuse reversals and helicopters and was just good fun.
In my experience it never really had the problem with them even while main Chiv was loving lousy with that poo poo. Also the playerbase seemed much more chill on average, too. I remember jumping onto some DM server where some oldtimer was tutoring a bunch of new players and everyone was having a good time. Another match all pirates congregated in one corner of the map and just drank rum and spammed our stupid voice emotes, not fighting apart from wrecking anyone who wandered in trying to start poo poo.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm really satisfied with the look of this dude, shame I'm terrible with the poleaxe.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

housemaster!!1 posted:

I think archery really sucks in this game. The arrows are way to slow (even with the longbow) and most of the time its luck if you hit an enemy or not.

A whole lot of really lucky players around then, because people get hosed by archers goddamn constantly.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I get that people like duel servers, but jesus christ is it too much to ask to find just one actual FFA deathmatch server these days? Every single DM server is just loving duel duel duel duel

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Oh yeah try stabbing, overhands or underhands instead of cleaving through your allies.

Doesn't matter, someone will always manage to get their stupid loving head in the way. Always.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Who gives a poo poo about them.

Anyone who was counting on that swing going through and braining the enemy instead of stopping in some shitlord's shoulder blade

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Had a little accident and I just know I'm never ever in a million years going to replicate it

https://i.imgur.com/mo7M1hE.mp4

Quality ain't the best, I dunno what kind of settings to use in Gooncam to make good looking gifs without making the file size enormous.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 11, 2019

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
As is often the case with .gifs, it's better with sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXNYYihFOG4

EDIT: vvv :toot:

Nordick fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 11, 2019

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The proper counter to short spears is to out-stab them with the bastard sword

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I have taken up the habit of throwing poo poo at horse lords every chance I get. Most of the time it's pretty futile, but I have been rewarded with a few sick throwing axe headshots at some oval office going perpendicular at full gallop. Haven't had the wherewithal to save those clips, sadly.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I thought I'd find duel servers boring, but nah. Spent a few hours on one the other day, it was a lot of fun. That dude playing referee was there for a while (or someone else doing the same gimmick anyways) and we also had like three different bards who just stood on ledges and pillars playing stuff with LuteBot. Every now and then someone would take a break from dueling and go up to a bard and jam out with emotes for a while. I also didn't get destroyed quite as bad as I thought I would, I was pretty much in the middle of the pack and actually managed to beat some of the top dogs a couple times.

TorakFade posted:

Sadly every once in a while clueless people drop in and start attacking like it's a FFA, or come in with longbows and hide on ledges, and gently caress your poo poo up while you're dueling :mad:

There were a few of these as well, but really it wasn't nearly as annoying as it was funny seeing them get dogpiled to poo poo and then kicked from the server. :v:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Gobblecoque posted:

If an archer is by a ledge I will always kick him off it.

:same:
Been doing this since Chivalry.

Okay "always" is an exaggeration, but any friendly archer in my vicinity is always at risk of getting kicked. This risk increases exponentially the further they are from the action and the more they are in the way.

It's not that I even personally hate archers, it's just traditional.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I've seen a couple people contorting in ways that certainly looked like they were trying to replicate some manner of Chivalry chicanery, but they didn't seem to be very successful at it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Sword Barbie

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Babe Magnet posted:

wish there was a more "breastplate" looking t2 armor, even a tiny one like the padded t3 one, but the metal scale rules in its own way

Yeah I find the tier 2 chest armor options a bit lacking. I wanna just use the basic chainmail for my pseudo-viking war axe dude but it takes away all the waist slot options for no goddamn reason. :argh:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
It's almost as if gameplay concessions over realism are sometimes necessary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Man, I should've tried the BR mode sooner, this poo poo is hilarious.