Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

You know how you can pull thrown weapons out of corpses? Turns out you can do the same for living bodies, as long as it is your body.

What does this mean? Just that getting a spear through the chest, ripping it out of yourself, and then returning to sender is perfectly possible as long as the shaft is visible from the POV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Imagine calling windmilling "skill" lol

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I spent a while running around in skirmish and deathmatch switching between the estoc, maul, and shield+shortspear. I think I saw one person go out of stamina the whole time I was playing. Especially in the free-for-all deathmatch mode, somebody usually just gets beheaded by a rando jumping in from behind before the fight goes on that long.

I honestly think I have never run out of stamina in the how many hours I have played. With so many ways to regain it it's practically a non issue as long as you aren't continuously 1v1 dueling.

Hell I even played at Reinhardt and continually shielded while moving the cart and even then it took forever for my stamina to drop appreciatively.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

People seem to be taken entirely off guard when you use the mortal wound perk.

I'm covered in blood and have zero health but I have five seconds and a sword, my dudes

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

lol ther'es no way to report people and the only way to actually mute someone is to mouse over their actual character and hit k

There's voice chat? I figured they forgot to implement it yet

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Glenn Quebec posted:

I see you haven't been called a mud person by this games delightful community.

Medieval games have become a safe place for the grossest people it seems.

In text chat sure but not voice yet.

You're right though. I've seen a whole lot of fashie icons.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The default health regeneration is actually crazy fast but it only kicks in if you don't sprint (or jump, or swing your weapon) for about 5 seconds. I spent a long time confused about this and thinking there was no way to heal because why would I ever not be sprinting ???

Same. They really should put that in the tutorial.

Should be noted that *any* exertion cancels it which also means climbing ladders and such.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

The thread needs more build theorycrafting for .5 and under KDA imo

It's kind of hard to do without knowing why KRD is low though.

If you are having issues with parrying then a short sword mixed with a buckler helps. If it's an issue judging distance then a two handed sword is better. If you can never land hits then something fast and light would be best. Armor 3 on head and chest is a lock for all cases.

In terms of perks you basically want to go full survival, taking the health regeneration speed boost and stam-on-hit.

Spears aren't that great in this game imo because chambering stabs is so easy. Basically the best you can get with spears is going all in with the short spear and shield and hoping they die before they catch on.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The health regeneration perk basically doesn't matter. If you can back out of combat you'll probably have the opportunity to full-heal regardless and if you can't it does nothing. I'd rather have a bandage or just more armor.

Depends on the mode. In team fights you absolutely can disengage and passive heal unless you are getting absolutely mobbed.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Broke: Making a balanced and strong build

Woke: Stack perks and take weapons off the corpses of enemies.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Small but cool ui thing

Also apparently riposte attacks cannot be flinched

https://v.redd.it/qm9jjwmjknv21

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

posted less than a minute ago:

Confirmed in game, woo

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

oldskool posted:

Also I opened an Epic Chest for 200 points and got a bear trap worth 10 :argh:

I feel like Horde mode needs the equivalent of Pack-a-punch for higher difficulties. The enemies slowly gain more armor over time and you can hardly duel sixty enemies at once.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

PSA: You can invert the directions of the X/Y aiming so that your weapon ends on the direction you selected rather than starting there. It makes chambering easier since you just have to look at their weapon to get the right angle.

Psikotik posted:

Tried practicing some of the combat tips in that link from the OP and boy howdy, just seems like it's easier to flail wildy with wide swings cause parrying/blocking wasn't doing me any favors.

Yes, in a sense. The way that the stamina system works puts a heavy emphasis on offense, but at the same time wildly swinging in a repeated pattern is a good way to get countered to poo poo. You want to maintain the initiative but not overextend so far that you end up in a disadvantaged position. IMO footwork and positioning is more important to the game than any special attack like riposting

Aggressive is good, predictable is not. Mix up your attacks and angles for victory. Or just put on light armor and a short spear and stab people in the back.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The first cosmetic I bought was a pair of gloves because watching my dude hold the blade of his longsword with his bare hands was worrying.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

If you want to stick with your two handed weapons then you can also just practice circle strafing. People with shields aren't great at tracking your movements, especially in team fights, and it's usually not that hard to get to the side of them and hit them in the back by accelerating a horizontal into their back.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

If you're with a group of teammates then I disagree. When two groups are squaring off and you get spooked off because you missed a parry it causes the rest of the group to die because the enemy just opened up a hole and they aren't going to chase you, they'll flank and wipe your group.. You'll live but your team will lose the fight, had you held a teammate could have opened up their line and you'd have relief.

I think I trust my teammates to not break immediately too much.

It's probably important to clarify what people mean by "disengage" here. Disengaging in teamfights is extremely important, but you should always stay very close to the fight. Far away enough to heal, but not so far that you can't step in to help if they catch on to any holes in the line.

Although when facing heavy weapon enemies with lighter armor it's kind of a wash. You may as well stick to the fight because the next hit will OHK you regardless of your health.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Orv posted:

You can swing over shields unlike most games, it's just the shield not a magic hitbox, depending on the elevations involved you can totally behead somebody over their shield.

I actually was going to ask about hitboxes. How much larger is the shield hitbox than the shield? It seems like there must be some difference because I've hit the shield when only close to it.

Also, what spread does the parry have? Full front of the body?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Trying some stuff out last night, found putting one set of spikes in the middle of a path tends to work pretty well for defensive purposes rather than trying to entirely block off an entrance. Since you aren't covering the whole thing you typically won't see them smashed up by enemies that can otherwise walk around them, but people on horses tend to smash right into them without even looking and it's hilarious.

Nothing quite like seeing a horseman riding off into the distance after doing an attack run and then getting immediately face planted into the ground off his horse.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

LGD posted:

I'm not sure it isn't worth forgoing a random 1 point perk to get a cleaver or something though, since not being *totally* unarmed has definite advantages and at the very least you can chuck it once you've grabbed a zweihander or w/e

its almost certainly better than, say, taking brawler (in non-meme terms anyhow)

One point for a basic weapon and one point for a bandage imo.

Really, I am not overly impressed with a lot of the perks. The ones that are good have high point cost, and the one or two point ones usually have very fringe/situational benefits. The only one I would consider totally mandatory is Huntsman on an archer character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I'm glad that I have become proficient enough to consistently top scoreboards so that I can effectively tell off all the sweaty players who demand that everyone 1v1 Honorable Duel in the middle of Frontline.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Nah they've intelligently made the decision that perks (except peasant which is the exception) don't effect loadout or efficacy of weapons.

And huntsman, but other than that agreed