Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

People seem to have trouble dealing with a short spear + shield.

I really hope it starts giving me XP and gold for games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Comrayn posted:

This is always the case in high skill cap games that aren’t just FPS. People who are good seem to be on a mission to crush everyone else and ruin the game for everyone ensuring it dies before any kind of critical mass of people get into it. I don’t get it but there’s always people who just want to feel like the big man playing god mode or whatever.

What, exactly, do you expect the people that are good at the game/mechanics to do about this? Just sit still and die? Pull their punches and not have fun? Go fists only and have fun until people figure out how to fight against that? It's really not fun to sit there parrying some guy for 2 minutes until his friends come to make it a 3v1 and it becomes interesting. It is fun to run around feeling like the Chosen of Khorne.

If the people aren't using something that's completely broken take it as a chance to try to learn to deal with them. Hell, even if they are then dealing with cheese is something you'll want to practice too. You'll lose every fight, most likely, but you'll start making progress. You'll learn how to read things and get forced to learn to time parries and use kicks more effectively.

There's no real matchmaking and no MMR system of any sort. Matches will be horribly imbalanced. I hope they do something about this but, until they do, do you want people that get a >3:1 K:D to just quit the game or something?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Glenn Quebec posted:

I don't think you understand what his point is even though it's pretty succinct. Maybe more game modes that allow for training? Smaller scale battles? Coins and exp. for playing locally? Maybe matchmaking and MMR?

I don't think anyone needs to be patronized about making progress in a high skill game we've all been there before.

Is there a duel mode? That may help a bit, people find people at their level in the server and do that.

Matchmaking and MMR is really necessary, but my point is that the players can't do anything about the lack of those things.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Comrayn posted:

I’m talking about people going out of their way to murder everyone with the most noob stomping methods possible. Someone mentioned a zweihander with a heal on kill trait, I haven’t been able to play enough to see this action myself but if it’s particularly good at mowing down guys who can’t block it’s a good example. Instead of setting yourself up for the best peasant mulching when you find yourself in a match with guys who are clearly way beneath you maybe do something fun and creative for a challenge or look for guys who are actually good and seek them out for a better fight. If you ran around chivalry with max mouse sensitivity helicopter smashing people you’re not going to understand what anyone is talking about.

Okay, I agree with that and that's more the cheese I was talking about. I think the only mechanical thing they can do to deal with that is gently caress with how dragging works but that screws with people not doing that too. I've found the best way to deal with that in this game is to use a spear or other polearm and get a good parry off and punish them, or poke them before they get into range. Really fast weapons are good there if you can get them to whiff too.

One thing I've found is really good right now is to run a short spear and shield. The shield helps vs archers and also doesn't have directional blocking, so it's easier to get a feel for timing, and the spear has really good speed and range.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'd like to try it but I'm a lucky recipient of the no gold/xp bug.

I got lucky and bought the short spear first. I also got the quarter staff! People don't respect that thing enough, it doesn't hit hard but it's very fast and has solid reach. Sucks when it breaks though. Edit: maybe I was disarmed in hindsight, either way I panicked and pinched the guy to death then picked up his sword.

Mr.Unique-Name fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 30, 2019

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Perestroika posted:

Has anybody found a use for the alternate modes of some of the axes and the longspear, where you just choke up on the grip? It's supposed to be a bit faster or something, but I've yet to notice a real difference.

Spear makes it one handed and extends the range a bit at the cost of speed, I think. With the axe it decreases your range so you're hitting them with the blade instead of shaft when they get inside your guard.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I'm curious as to what they expect you to do in higher levels of horde mode other than hole up at the top of a tower that has a ranged weapon and ammo with a ladder that the AI can't figure out. At least until the fire guys come and you need to kite all day. Trying to legit melee stops being an option once it starts sending a dozen fully armored enemies at you with every wave. It's all kiting and holding scout towers.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Let's just stop talking about "good players." I don't think people's complaints are about people that have good reactions and are able to won 3v1 on skill and their opponents killing one another. The people that ruin matches are the people running around playing helicopter, which completely ruin the game for people that don't know how to counter it and it can be difficult to counter at times.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The trick to playing while badatvideogames is to just pick up a spear and follow around the big clumps of zerging newbies. When they all clump up on some guy with a zweihander who's about to kill three of them with one swing you run behind him and poke him in the butt/foot from out of his reach.

Yeah, the premade class with a spear (footman, I think) is really good for getting a feel for things. The healing pack helps a lot too. Also, spears actually have salvageable horizontal attacks, you just have to be really aware of your range.

I'd like it if the points ticked a bit faster in Frontline mode. Those games feel like they take forever unless it's a complete stomp. Maybe it's worse when the server isn't actually full.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Babe Magnet posted:

So apparently sometime soon they're going to reset everyone to level 5, reset all unlocks, and give everyone 5k gold.

Will they give the 2.5k for the tutorial back too, or let us do it again?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

WTF is a backwards overhead?

Also the game seemed playable to me at 300 ping, but maybe I got super lucky or don't know what last feels like in the game yet.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Babe Magnet posted:

the thing in chivalry where you equip a zweihander, and turn around the exact moment your overhead attack begins so you hit them at full strength instantly with the startup

Also know as the thing, alongside helicoptering, that completely ruined Chivalry combat lol

Ah, I think I quit playing Chivalry before I saw too much of that. So that guy is complaining that the devs tried to mitigate bullshit that's isn't fun to play against.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Sonel posted:

I was only able to try one game so far, had about 140 ping and my attacks would just phase through people. I was also being ignored by the other team even if I was right in front of them and couldn't pickup weapons or items.

Weird. Maybe I was lucky. Actually I think this was in a horde game, so maybe hit detection is handled differently in that. I did play a game at 80 ping that seemed completely fine.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Glenn Quebec posted:

I remember in Chivalry, I remember the whirldwind of the spinny zweihander. Unstoppable.

I kind of remember seeing them but what I remember more was the deadliest warrior dlc where if you weren't a Spartan or samurai you were dead.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Stokes posted:

Discord just posted that xp and rewards should start working now.

It's not for me, tried restarting and I can buy stuff but still no xp/credit rewards.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Sharkopath posted:

I recommend trying a Horde server with max players, I've been in a 50 person one that reliably gets to the last wave and thats worth at least 1000 gold each time.

You have enough downtime when you die too for searching the map so I'm learning where all the spawns for everything are.

Yeah, the answer to my question about how the gently caress do they expect you to play horde without ranged cheese appears to be "play a server running horde with at least 24 people and hope the lag isn't too bad."

Mr.Unique-Name fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 1, 2019

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Babe Magnet posted:

lol ther'es no way to report people and the only way to actually mute someone is to mouse over their actual character and hit k

It's like they intended you to be able to do stuff with the tab screen, but you can't get your mouse pointer so you can't even scroll down the list.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Glenn Quebec posted:

Browser is still busted for me fffffuck.

Is your steam region set to the correct region? I've seen that screw with server browsers in other games.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

CuddleCryptid posted:

I feel like Horde mode needs the equivalent of Pack-a-punch for higher difficulties. The enemies slowly gain more armor over time and you can hardly duel sixty enemies at once.

It works well with 24 players once you get past wave 10. With the default of 6 the pathing exploitation and kiting are all you can do to have a chance.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I've seen a lot of people running around with no shirt but they also don't appear to be running the peasant perk, since they have axes or zweihanders, so they aren't forced to have no armor.

Protip: this is a profoundly bad idea. You will get one shot by a lot of things. Even the light armor helps a ton.

Also, the cleaver owns. It is super fast and does respectable damage. The range is an issue but most people aren't great at keeping you at a distance.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Do bear traps work on horses?

Edit: devoid of context, this question makes me look horrible.

Mr.Unique-Name fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 3, 2019

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

VulgarandStupid posted:

Being shirtless will cause a lot of players to fight irrationally against you, recklessly rushing you for what they think will be an easy kill. If you’re good enough you can pull it off but for most players I’d recommend at least light armor.

Maybe. But being shirtless and using a zweihander or estoc or battle axe, which a lot of people seem to do, will get you turned into a red mist by an archer you're trying to jump because of how fast the cleaver is and your lack of protection. That's assuming you make it to the archer.

I'm really starting to feel like the cleaver's broken. Maybe it's just because people aren't good at fighting against fast weapons yet or what, but its damage against armor isn't horrible and you can just go nuts on somebody and they can't do much if they can't properly chamber one of your attacks, which is really hard to do against something that swings that fast. I added it to my short spear loadout instead of one the perks (I think the jumping stamina reduction one) and now my short spear is basically just a javelin I use on approaching.

It's probably just people being bad but the number of times I've had somebody with a zweihander parry a cleaver attack then start a swing only to discover it's actually still my turn and get shredded is impressive.

Edit: What does the "Feint or Parry" hotkey that isn't bound by default do? I'm guessing it cancels attacks into feint if you hit it while swinging, or just parries if you aren't swinging. That's kind of tempting to use ( especially since I ALWAYS try to right click to cancel attacks) but there's times when you want to take an attack into a parry, not just feint.

Mr.Unique-Name fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 3, 2019

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Glenn Quebec posted:

I STRONGLY recommend that you rebind your right click to feint or parry. I infact recommend that everyone do this.

If you hold it down after the feint does it become a parry? That's what I'm hoping for and exactly what I want.

Also yeah, in FPS games the name of the game is typically to have a low sensitivity for better precision and tracking. I normally set it so a 180 is about 2/3 of my mouse pad width. For games like this having it a bit higher makes sense but you still want some precision.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Captain Beans posted:

I wonder if you could just right click twice to go from attack to feint to parry, and how much delay you would add doing that.

Probably not enough to make it a lot worse than effectively never feinting. Feints may also have a longer window to cancel into than parries do so it would be a lot better for cancelling.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

eonwe posted:

One thing that is exactly the same as Chivalry, the players on duel servers are far higher tier and far more polite than the regular servers. I was getting wrecked by a few people last night on a duel server

This has been the case since at least the Jedi Knight games. I'm guessing it's because people treating it as a contest of skill are a bit more eager to recognize something somebody does as being impressive or difficult to pull off, rather than bullshit that killed them and it's bullshit because it killed then.

There's also the RPers, which can be kinda off-putting sometimes. They're normally polite though.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Delacroix posted:

I haven't played MnB in a long time but playing a few hours as a naked peasant, two parts bear trap, one part frying pan has wishing me it could decapitate people.

Are any of the preset loadouts good? I haven't used any while unlocking and rotating through the selection of blunt and polearms.

Footman is good, so is the Archer one. Knight is okay. I'm honestly not a fan of the one with a zweihander because it has a hood instead of helmet. Protector feels too slow and even his mace feels slower than it should.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Perestroika posted:

The halberd is real, and strong, and my friend.
https://i.imgur.com/tSyvGFb.mp4

Seriously, I knew it was the weapon for me when I looked at its stats and saw it had two modes: Murder, and Murder.

Yeah, I was using a spear then I tried the halberd for the hell of it and I don't think I'm going back to the spear.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Glenn Quebec posted:

Also don't be afraid to disengage if you aren't at an advantage.

If you're with a group of teammates then I disagree. When two groups are squaring off and you get spooked off because you missed a parry it causes the rest of the group to die because the enemy just opened up a hole and they aren't going to chase you, they'll flank and wipe your group.. You'll live but your team will lose the fight, had you held a teammate could have opened up their line and you'd have relief.

I think I trust my teammates to not break immediately too much.

Mr.Unique-Name fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 3, 2019

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Coward!

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Glenn Quebec posted:

But I agreed!!

I read it as dismissal. I am quite insecure. That is why I will not retreat. I must prove my mettle.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's probably important to clarify what people mean by "disengage" here. Disengaging in teamfights is extremely important, but you should always stay very close to the fight. Far away enough to heal, but not so far that you can't step in to help if they catch on to any holes in the line.

Although when facing heavy weapon enemies with lighter armor it's kind of a wash. You may as well stick to the fight because the next hit will OHK you regardless of your health.

I'm just bitter because the most common thing I scream at my monitor is "STAY IN THE FIGHT YOU COWARDS" strangely, a close second is "STOP loving RUNNING INTO MY SWING/FIRING LINE"

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I really loving hate horses in this game.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Babe Magnet posted:

debuff, though the peasant weapons can be okay in their own right. The sticks are surprisingly effective, and the scythe has pole-arm reach with a good swing speed. Frying pan makes fun sounds when you bonk people with it.

Can the scythe get around shields? I could have sworn I took somebody's head off when he had his shield up, but he may have dropped it right as the hit landed.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Orv posted:

You can swing over shields unlike most games, it's just the shield not a magic hitbox, depending on the elevations involved you can totally behead somebody over their shield.

Ah, that may be what happened. I was at a slight elevation.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Babe Magnet posted:

Hey Triternion where the gently caress my Frogmouth helmet, thanks

Or a loving bascinet with the visor down, instead of up.

Edit: wait, apparently that is an option that I have not seen.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Glenn Quebec posted:

Hey we don't need this sort of histrionics in this thread. Just play the game !!!!!!!

Yeah the community is really full of awful chuds.

Like somebody mentioned before, Vikings and knights feature pretty heavily prominently in white supremacist poo poo, so it does unfortunately follow that you run into a lot of them. I do see people push back at them fairly often, although I wish their discord mods were more ban happy about that poo poo. The official Discord will turn to fights centered around that until people get bored of it then it's back to whining about archers and spears. I should probably just stop looking at that Discord.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I feel like they should make drags either not work or significantly less effective for thrusts. That would probably go a long way to making it so everybody isn't using rapier/short spear or a 2 handed sword and just thrusting all day. It's kind of irritating to have somebody clearly miss you then all of a sudden you get hit for a sizable chunk of HP.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Babe Magnet posted:

hahaha holy poo poo if you crouch-walk over beartraps it doesn't set them off

Don't tell people!

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I had a guy on a horse charge me and he hosed up his couch so I was able to slam him in the face with my maul as he rode past. I think that was one of the most satisfying experiences I've had in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Glenn Quebec posted:

It'll be hard to time it right with a slower weapon which is the point. If you don't have a faster fall back weapon you have to parry first and then set up the chamber.

I suggest the cleaver as a backup. It's only 1 point, does solid damage, and people using rapiers and short spears have no clue how to deal with somebody with a faster weapon once you get in on them.