Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

I've been playing the pre-release/testing/kickstarter access version, whatever it is, for a while now. I'm not very good at it at all but I've had tons more fun with the combat than I ever did in Chivalry. Don't get me wrong, I played and enjoyed Chiv for years, but the fighting always felt opaque to me. I often wasn't able to tell what attack was coming and how to counter it, or how to deal with the weird spinning tricks that were popular late in the game. The fighting is Mordhau is way easier to at least tell what kind of swing is coming and defend against it. Now when I get killed (all the time), I usually know what I did wrong or what the opponent did right. I don't feel cheated or frustrated in death the way I did most of the time in Chiv.

I'm looking forward to the Frontline modes which seem to be turning out like the objective modes in Chiv, with capturing points and taking territory, eventually turning into castle assaults moving siege engines around towards the enemy gates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

You can stop the attack by aiming your block at the direction the attack is coming from, but it's better to parry the attack by swinging in the same direction a moment before the weapon hits and then riposte by attacking when your weapons collide to strike at your opponent.

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

That's what Chivalry taught me, but something about it in Mordhau clicked for me last week and I've been getting better. I'm sure I'll never add the word "reliably" to that, but at least I don't hit block every single time now. Maybe it's the higher quality models and animations that telegraph the incoming attack better.

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

Game is good and fun.

After trying for almost an hour to find a frontline server that wasn't giving me 400+ ping, I managed to get into a snowy mountain pass game and spawned as that big furry dude with a giant axe and ran into a group of red guys occupied with my teammates and with my first swipe took two heads off at once. I got an achievement for it too! :)

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The engineer toolbox seems kinda neat for building walls of spikes all over the place in chokepoints. Too bad the default engineer loadout doesn't have any actual weapons (!). And progression just doesn't work for some reason so I can't level up/earn gold to make my own custom dude with a toolbox plus a sword (and maybe a beartrap too for fun).

That's what the lute is for! I've more kills with the lute right now than the sledgehammer.

McSpanky posted:

How is this game with small weapons blocking larger ones? One thing that really got my goat in Chivalry is when a player with like a greatsword or maul went up against an archer with their dinky little dagger, getting effortlessly blocked until the heavier weapon guy ran out of stamina and then getting poked to death. Sure, there should be a way for anyone to win any duel, but it shouldn't be by tanking 5-pound weapons with a pigsticker.

This still exists. I think maybe the person with a small weapon takes a much larger stamina hit when blocking a big weapon, but I don't know for sure.

Perestroika posted:

Also, I can't help but :laffo: to see them having gone to all these lenghts with the customization system, only to have what feels like 80% of the playerbase run around with heavy armour and two-handed swords.

This is probably because of the no XP/gold bug that exists right now. Once people get their points, they'll start unlocking stuff and playing dress-up.

Kill All Humans posted:

Mordhau: Chivalry is dead

This is it.

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

Diogines posted:

I loved War of the Roses and I loved Mount and Blade but did not particularly like Chivalry which felt kind of... simple. I am not saying it is bad or you are bad for enjoying it, but it was not my cup of tea. Maybe that is not it, but there is something about Chivalry's combat I just did not like much.

How do you feel this stacks up to any of those games?

How complicated is the active parrying and blocking?

I have a post on the first page that kinda touches on this, but the summary is the combat in Mordhau is more transparent as to what is going on in an attack. You can tell what swing is coming and have a chance to defend against it. Chivalry felt a lot more chaotic to me and often I couldn’t tell why one attack would connect and another wouldn’t.

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

Diogines posted:

If you enjoy these style of games I would suggest buying this one.

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

Due to real life, I was able to play this game on release day for about 2 hours, and then again a few days later for another hour. I haven't played since then until yesterday, and when I started the game I was reset to level 1 and no gold. I did the tutorial again for 2500 gold, but I don't see anywhere to pick up the compensation gold the devs said they'd give players after the XP/Gold bugs were fixed. Do I have to request it or should it be presented automatically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

Glenn Quebec posted:

There was a window to get that gold and you missed it my dude.

So sad. Now I'm trying to earn xp/gold against people who've had weeks to practice and optimize. Feels like late Chiv again, but still having more fun.