Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

SO DEMANDING posted:

enterprise grade security software is indistinguishable from mid-2000s spyware in terms of what it does to system performance and how deeply embedded it gets

look on the bright side. it makes ur laptop fan go too 100 every few minutes, and then management thinks you, and your computer, are working extra hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yes my work macbook pro has some nightmare ibm patching poo poo (called bigfix iirc) and it literally locks up the system for 30 minutes and makes the fans go to 100%

what could it possibly be doing??? not even the macos updater does that lmao

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i also disabled it through launchctl but then my vpn wouldnt let me log on because it said i was out of compliance :negative:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

pram posted:

i also disabled it through launchctl but then my vpn wouldnt let me log on because it said i was out of compliance :negative:

this is enterprise as gently caress

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

theodop posted:

enterprise grade is converting that web app to jqueryUI so it works on mobiles in tyool 2019

we’re working on a responsive version in react [estimated completion date q4 2026]

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

this is enterprise as gently caress

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

be the change we need

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

qirex posted:

we’re working on a responsive version in react [estimated completion date q4 2026]

to be truly enterprise the responsive version will work correctly in IE 10, but will look wonky in Chome and Firefox while spewing javascript errors into the console

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

enterprise grade security means you implement things because a spreadsheet says you have to and not for any specific functional benefit.

like implementing SSL intercept everywhere but then doing zero traffic inspection.

or enabling 802.1x port security everywhere...except for things that are too-hard so you just disable it on the switch port. this is ofc done on access switches and the switch ports are patched through to easily accessible drops in the office.

or installing AV on everything but then not configuring any policy so it either sits there doing nothing or runs on-read file scans and full file-system scans every 30 minutes.

or doing anything DLP whilst leaving massive unplugged gaps (ok so you can't copy stuff to a USB drive but you can copy stuff to your onedrive that's accessible from home?)

If It's Not ENTERPRISE, It's Not SECURITY!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

enterprise grade means the control panel opens in a fixed location on screen that floats above every other window and you can't move or resize it

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pram posted:

yes my work macbook pro has some nightmare ibm patching poo poo (called bigfix iirc) and it literally locks up the system for 30 minutes and makes the fans go to 100%

that's not the ibm patching poo poo. that's just how osx works.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
We pay for enterprise software at work, and instead of using it via the GUI like animals we're automating it via the api. Except for the fact that the software reliable crashes on the 3rd of 4th consecutive project run, and there's no api endpoint to reset the whole drat thing. The workaround in our automation is, no joke:

code:
def clean_for_next_run():
    api.delete_project()
    subprocess.call(['ssh', 'enterprise-host.mydomain.dilz', 'sudo', 'systemctl', 'restart', 'enterprise-software'])
    time.sleep(100)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

to be truly enterprise the responsive version will work correctly in IE 10, but will look wonky in Chome and Firefox while spewing javascript errors into the console

newer enterprise applications only work in chrome

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
enterprise grade means each ticket in your ticketing system has 7 tabs with 30 individual fields each, with only one field on each tab actually being used by the company

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

jimmyjams posted:

enterprise grade means each ticket in your ticketing system has 7 tabs with 30 individual fields each, with only one field on each tab actually being used by the company

not just ticketing systems. almost every system.

for me it was ABB Ellipse

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

enterprise grade is when your on-prem jira has 12,000 custom fields

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Bloody posted:

and custom statuses which make all the issues invisible in standard dashboards

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
all the money in the world cant fix jira's performance, though.

im going to become rich and famous when i devise a way to make jira run at an acceptable performance

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

all the money in the world cant fix jira's performance, though.

im going to become rich and famous when i devise a way to make jira run at an acceptable performance

but then it wouldnt be enterprise grade

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Bloody posted:

this post physically hurts

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

enterprise grade means after sso login you get dumped at the homepage no matter what deep link you clicked

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

carry on then posted:

enterprise grade means after sso login you get dumped at the homepage no matter what deep link you clicked

oof

enterprise grade means 50% of the time, entering your credentials will take you to the "you have successfully logged out" page instead

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

enterprise grade is starting a project in-house, cancelling it for a vendor solution after 2 years, which is then taken over by in-house devs again and it’s 3 years after various additional attempts to integrate it to the legacy system that still runs and no progress has been made, so the project lead is fired and replaced by someone who has no idea what goes on and that’s when you get hired

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

MononcQc posted:

enterprise grade is starting a project in-house, cancelling it for a vendor solution after 2 years, which is then taken over by in-house devs again and it’s 3 years after various additional attempts to integrate it to the legacy system that still runs and no progress has been made, so the project lead is fired and replaced by someone who has no idea what goes on and that’s when you get hired

this is physically painful to read

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

carry on then posted:

please put a trigger warning on posts like this

pram
Jun 10, 2001

MononcQc posted:

place i worked at in 2016 tried to roll their own log system with ELK + kinesis. and they clearly didnt know how to scale it because ES lost data, it was down constantly, etc

and then after admitting failure they bought splunk, but then didnt want to change the pipeline so it turned into this awful rube goldberg machine of logstash, kinesis, and splunk components :buddy:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Bloody posted:

if you export some issues from a filter with "all fields" checked, you get an excel document with too many columns to open

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Bloody posted:

if you export some issues from a filter with "all fields" checked, you get an excel document with too many columns to open

enterprise grade is when the "export to excel" function is just a CSV

(seriously Atlassian, you haven't bothered to implement a xlsx writer for 20 years?)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the docx is some hosed up html format

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

~Coxy posted:

enterprise grade is when the "export to excel" function is just a CSV

(seriously Atlassian, you haven't bothered to implement a xlsx writer for 20 years?)

why does it matter?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
CSV is better because you can parse it on the command line without converting it first and excel doesn't give a poo poo it'll just open it anyway.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

enterprise grade is code that was windows only for a decade, then went mac only for a few years, then went back to windows only again for another few years before finally going with both

with compatibility shims around each of these layers like geological strata

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

akadajet posted:

why does it matter?

CSVs are annoying to deal with in Excel and JIRA is expensive.
it's not some rinky-dink open source product version 0.97, it should be doing more than the bare minium

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Progressive JPEG posted:

enterprise grade is code that was windows only for a decade, then went mac only for a few years, then went back to windows only again for another few years before finally going with both

with compatibility shims around each of these layers like geological strata

wowza

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs

~Coxy posted:

it's not some rinky-dink open source product version 0.97, it should be doing more than the bare minium

but then it wouldnt be enterprise grade

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

~Coxy posted:

you gotta pay for a 3rd party add-on.

jira is just an enterprise plugin host.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

enterprise grade: I bought the factory service manual for a 2019 nissan on DVD, and upon delivery discovered that it not only requires internet explorer, but that it requires IE because it makes extensive use of activeX

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

enterprise grade: I bought the factory service manual for a 2019 nissan on DVD, and upon delivery discovered that it not only requires internet explorer, but that it requires IE because it makes extensive use of activeX

big oof

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
enterprise grade means filling out a form with 20 fields and clicking submit, only to be told "there was an error with the form". the only solution is refreshing and filling out the form again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

jimmyjams posted:

enterprise grade means filling out a form with 20 fields and clicking submit, only to be told "there was an error with the form". the only solution is refreshing and filling out the form again

my eye twitched when i read this one