Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

I collect miscellaneous paraphernalia from ridiculous long-dead subcultures because I think that sort of stuff is funny. The clearest window into these little sub-genres are old hobby magazines, so I figured it'd be nice to have a thread where the fine folks of GBS (and SA in general) can post silly garbage from dumb old rags. If you follow the BUDK thread, and remember that recent Outlaw Biker thread, you ought to know what I mean.

For starters, here is a magazine from that odd window in the late 70's when custom vans and CB radios were all the rage:

My work scanner is a piece of poo poo and cut off half of the left side of this page.

I have a box or two of stupid old magazines at home, so I have lots more to contribute, but I want to see what other trashy magazines goons have sitting around!

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
More please, those are great!

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
haha omg those barrel seats

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
i legit want midnight mist.

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

Dying at Jack Vaniels

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
These are awesome!

I love the pic of that guy spraying glue with bare feet and no respirator. Not a single gently caress.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Trifling? $175 in 1977 is about $730 today.

The Kansas City Special made my eyes bleed.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Richter Scabies posted:

Dying at Jack Vaniels

Enjoy this centerfold:

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!
Favorite sippin' stuff in my favorite sittin' plush

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Again, sorry for the crappy scan. I didn't check the pdf when I scanned this last week. I'll have to bring that van magazine back to work with me tomorrow.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Even Uncle Henry would get high on this Ford.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

"This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up."

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Enjoy this centerfold:

I don't know what's up or down. My mind is spinning with emotions, a mental vertigo of booze

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

wanna live in this meat zone

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Was the Vallejo-esque art of wizards or barbarian ladies on van sides a later development, or was it ever really even a thing at all?

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Van culture really was one of those "better to burn out fast" subcultures.

All so if you scan that shirt ad page with the designs at avatar dimension, we could probably get Lowtax some titanium vertebrae just from repeated purchases of "your problem is obvious" and "bitch bitch bitch"

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

My buddies first car growing up was one of these vans, it was banana yellow, and covered floor to ceiling with long brown shag carpeting with a giant mushroom table and mushroom toadstool seats in the back that were also covered in shag carpeting.
It had a nuclear winter wasteland scene painted on the back quarter panel.

This was in 1996.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Tony Snark posted:

Van culture really was one of those "better to burn out fast" subcultures.

All so if you scan that shirt ad page with the designs at avatar dimension, we could probably get Lowtax some titanium vertebrae just from repeated purchases of "your problem is obvious" and "bitch bitch bitch"

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This thread rules, I would not be upset to drive one of those outrageous looking monsters

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
brb creating a new dating profile to look for a perfect 10 woman who's willing to sprawl out lengthwise in the back of my weird van for a little photo session, nothing weird.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I think this video is appropriate
https://vimeo.com/40393795

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
It's interesting they don't really seem to care about their sound systems much. You'd think they'd have some big speakers in there so they could open the doors and blast some Journey or whatever.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

It's interesting they don't really seem to care about their sound systems much. You'd think they'd have some big speakers in there so they could open the doors and blast some Journey or whatever.

They were more interested in loving and doing cocaine in those vans.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I like how even the van-magazine copywriter can't believe they put a loving fireplace in a van

Also, holy poo poo, either they went the distance in creating a fake or that's an actual working fireplace, what the poo poo

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

They were more interested in loving and doing cocaine in those vans.

Is there anyone NOT interested in loving and doing cocaine in vans?

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

My first thought was how sweaty all that shag pile carpeting must get in an age before AC, but then I scrolled down and realised that was the entire point.
Godspeed, horny van people of yesteryear.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Edgar posted:

I think this video is appropriate
https://vimeo.com/40393795

A bunch of the b-roll for that video came from the cheesy/lovely/ridiculous/amazing flick Supervan, which was filmed at an actual van convention and has a mind-boggling cameo from Charles Bukowski.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 23, 2019

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Only The Shadow Knows For Sure!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

hexwren posted:

A bunch of the b-roll for that video came from the cheesy/lovely/ridiculous/amazing flick Supervan, which was filmed at an actual van convention and has a mind-boggling cameo from Charles Bukowski.

Fun Fact: Super-Van has a cameo in Back to the Future 2

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
gently caress those low-color van magazines. :flipoff:

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
I grew up with multiple guys that built vans that were featured in 70's magazines, AMA

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

I grew up with multiple guys that built vans that were featured in 70's magazines, AMA

How did you cope with the trauma of being molested?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Linux Pirate posted:

How did you cope with the trauma of being molested?

I voted Democrat

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
https://youtu.be/bXk3teJpzGU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
These threads have been great, thank you! I've got some old Flying Saucer magazines at home, will have to scan some choice pages.

My Grampa made a custom van when I was a kid. White shag everywhere. I've wanted to make one ever since.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

quote:

Twice as much COLOR as any other Van Magazine!

There's OTHER van magazines?! :monocle:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

LabyaMynora posted:

There's OTHER van magazines?! :monocle:

Oh yeah, there are quite a few different titles that jumped on the short-lived van fad. I have at least one more, so I'll bring that (as well as other funny old magazines I have) into work tomorrow and try to scan them if I get a chance. Hopefully my work load cooperates.

In the meantime, anyone have any silly poo poo like old issues of High Times or Easyriders?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

gently caress Palaces, each and every one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I'm assuming a lot of these were Deadheads and such, so they'd have been using their vans to travel to live concerts and less for their speakers.