Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Achtane posted:

Holy poo poo why am I still living in the US

Look up the list of in-demand trades in the south island, finagle something onto your resume that matches the description and then move. Credentials don't really carry over so you'll be doing them again but getting to level 1/2 of any trade in the US should only take a year or two tops. Lay tile for 18 months then haul rear end over to NZ.

I don't know if things have calmed down in Christchurch with regards to construction but when I went over I overstated my electrical experience (didn't matter anyway because it was all weirdo Euro codes anyway), got a job as a temp electrician's helper and learned on the job before padding my resume out with that NZ experience and landing a real job. They were so hard pressed for anyone with trades skills it was nuts.

protips: don't try and drive a scissor lift over trolley tracks, hold hotdogs with your shifting hand when driving

autism ZX spectrum fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
We should emigrate to NZ then rewild our yards with stuff Kea eat.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Accretionist posted:

We should emigrate to NZ then rewild our yards with stuff Kea eat.

Cars and cones

https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/100321972/roadconemoving-kea-get-gym-to-distract-them-away-from-traffic

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

autism ZX spectrum posted:

I don't know if things have calmed down in Christchurch with regards to construction.

Lots of construction work still available, but it is less frenzied now - good luck finding a place to stay though.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

jizzy sillage posted:

Lots of construction work still available, but it is less frenzied now - good luck finding a place to stay though.

Chch accom has settled now I think. We got our place a year ago and it was a bargain, 3rd place we viewed. Haggled down the price too.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah it's not as bad as it was, with people renting out the garage or granny flats for $500/wk, still not super easy though right?

My parents got super lucky when they moved there in 2015, it was peak insanity then.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

autism ZX spectrum posted:

Look up the list of in-demand trades in the south island, finagle something onto your resume that matches the description and then move. Credentials don't really carry over so you'll be doing them again but getting to level 1/2 of any trade in the US should only take a year or two tops. Lay tile for 18 months then haul rear end over to NZ.

I don't know if things have calmed down in Christchurch with regards to construction but when I went over I overstated my electrical experience (didn't matter anyway because it was all weirdo Euro codes anyway), got a job as a temp electrician's helper and learned on the job before padding my resume out with that NZ experience and landing a real job. They were so hard pressed for anyone with trades skills it was nuts.

protips: don't try and drive a scissor lift over trolley tracks, hold hotdogs with your shifting hand when driving

Well that explains why every tradesmen I've ever hired to do anything has been so goddamn useless at their job!

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Soul Reaver posted:

Well that explains why every tradesmen I've ever hired to do anything has been so goddamn useless at their job!

"we'll be there monday"

*3pm tuesday*

"hey we're here"

*three days later*

"we're done"

*half the job is unfinished*

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

"we'll be there monday"

*3pm tuesday*

"hey we're here"

*three days later*

"we're done"

*half the job is unfinished*

i wish ur poasts were unfinished!!

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Skim Milk posted:

i wish ur poasts were unfinished!!

bit

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

MaoistBanker posted:

Been there, impressive for 30 seconds and then you're done and out $75 bucks.
I think you went to Waitomo Caves. The Waipu Caves are up north and they're free. They also look very little like that photo because there is more than 5 glow worms visible and there are not 200+ tourists walking barefoot through the mud.

PS, hello again we had dinner when you were here and it was nice to meet you and your girlfriend.

Bushmaori posted:

Also re honey talk. Family member in the NZ police said they taught beekeeping in prison as a rehabilitation program. After the prisoners were released a bunch of beehives got stolen.

Can't vouch for accuracy
Yeah, hives were stolen, but not necessarily by released prisoners. When people are talking bullshit about "UMF 11+" and 200g of manuka honey costs $60 then any idiot driving past a field might take a crack at stealing a hive. Carry 20kg of wood and angry bees to your car and presto, you've got thousands of dollars.

coke posted:

Cell coverage is actually great in NZ where you still get 4g in the middle of nowhere, including when you are hiking near Mt Cook and in the middle of the ocean between cook straits.

I wanna bet it’s because they are using some smaller carrier or some international phone that doesn’t support the local bands.
According to Vodafone there is no cellphone coverage at my house (exactly at my house, for some magical reason) but I get 5 bars of 4G LTE+ coverage which equates to a download speed of 30MB/sec. I'm surprised how far some of those bands penetrate into the bush, but there are definitely places without coverage.

Serjeant Snubbin fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 13, 2019

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Would enough people be interested that I should go start an ANZAC thread in LAN, Y/N?

The other one(s?) died ages ago

e: or I guess someone with more sweet .jpgs and who actually lives there could go be the OP

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

I'd poo poopost in it. I variously live in Christchurch or Auckland. I don't have a lot of good pictures though because I am allergic to walking.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

walking owns

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

wanking owns

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i just do the regular ejaculation though

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
While out shopping the other day I spotted a can of L&P which I recognised from this thread, so I bought it. T'weren't bad.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Zeniel posted:

While out shopping the other day I spotted a can of L&P which I recognised from this thread, so I bought it. T'weren't bad.

someone not from here described it as "if lemonade made love to a ginger beer" and i see that

it's good but i wish their sugar free version tasted the same

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

That glacier just keeps getting further away

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Flannelette posted:

That glacier just keeps getting further away

no it's just really small

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
BTW, V energy drink totally owns

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It's the weirdest taste and it really shouldn't, but yeah. They've put out a bunch of flavoured versions and they are all horrible though.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

sebmojo posted:

It's the weirdest taste and it really shouldn't, but yeah. They've put out a bunch of flavoured versions and they are all horrible though.

The blue one isn't bad... The others are terrible tho imo

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Blue V is the best, followed by green, then the rest of the stuff is so gross it's impossible to say which is better.

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

simplefish posted:

Would enough people be interested that I should go start an ANZAC thread in LAN, Y/N?

The other one(s?) died ages ago

e: or I guess someone with more sweet .jpgs and who actually lives there could go be the OP
I started the last one, seven years ago, but it died in March 2018 because it was inactive for 3 months or whatever. Someone else needs to take up the flag of "person who arranges NZ goons".

Last thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3469667

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Not it.

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/LML6SoNE7xE

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Posted a few of these in the Running Thread already but still pretty.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
NZ's teacher have good hustle.

In protest of pay and working conditions, there was a one-day strike of primary and high school teachers today comprising 50,000 teachers, or, ~1% of New Zealand entire population.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Get a job you stupid hippies

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Jaguars! posted:

Ooh, expected somewhere a bit more provincial, though they are pretty well married to their cars up on the North shore.

Leave my suburb alone. :(

(Nah don't it is full of rich wankers)

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I've been working my way through the Great Walks, this country owns for hiking

Routeburn Track - Lake Mackenzie

Routeburn Track - Lake Mackenzie

Milford Track

Lake Waikaremoana

Tongariro Northern Circuit

Kepler Track

Kepler Track

Ratjaculation posted:

My favourite Great Walk took 8 days

wtf Great Walk takes 8 days, they're all like 3-4

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 30, 2019

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
What are house prices like in NZ? And rent? Don't care if it's capital city or not.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=nz%20housing%20crises

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_property_bubble

https://www.trademe.co.nz/property

I paid $800k for an extremely modest home in a pretty rubbish part of West Auckland. My wife and I will be close to retirement before we are mortgage free. But we can't complain because there are huge swaths of our population living in "emergency" accommodation in motels, garages, cars or just on the street.

The in build/proposed "affordable housing" projects start at $600k and are typically in locations that involve multi hour commutes to job hot spots.

If you rent, you'll be covering some boomers mortgage (plus some) that they got a decade ago and they'll still complain if you ask about that heat pump and double glazing.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That's $520k US, don't know how that compares. If you don't mind a smaller town, you can get a nice house in somewhere like wanganui for a lot cheaper, decent amenities, couple hours drive from Wellington and great climate.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

We're ranked 2nd most over-priced market in the world.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

These are speculative prices in a fancy part of whanganui but are probably fairly close to the value.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
You can buy an ok house for 120k in Palmerston North, just do a P test first hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

nockturne posted:

What are house prices like in NZ? And rent? Don't care if it's capital city or not.

You can buy a house for 20 grand USD but it's in the deep south.