Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Wafflecopper posted:

wtf Great Walk takes 8 days, they're all like 3-4

Look at this bozo who didnt split off onto the South Coast Track from the Hump Ridge frack lmbo

Its a 4 day walk one way, and a dead end.

E; actually apparently its not a Great Walk, so Ill give you that. Its a great walk though.

Ratjaculation fucked around with this message at 08:10 on May 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Xik posted:

If you rent, you'll be covering some boomers mortgage (plus some) that they got a decade ago and they'll still complain if you ask about that heat pump and double glazing.
it wasn't until i bought an apartment that the plight of the landlord really became apparent to me, what with the rental appraisal being 150% of what my mortgage repayments ended up being, and those themselves being only slightly higher than the rent i was paying for a place that was literally half the size.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Also keep in mind that building standards in NZ are complete horseshit so expect to budget a few grand to make the place actually livable

Like when you go to one of those energy usage calculators to estimate your power bill, in NZ it'll ask if your walls, floor, and/or ceiling have any insulation in them, because people will often do one and not the others, or none at all.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

live in a jucy

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

new_zealand_housing.jpg:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

*simpsons load bearing poster gif*

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I heard that Auckland has the highest number of street gangs per km2 in the world but then there's not that many people so I'm guessing it's just 3 mates hanging out together then some professor wanders up and is all "um, excuse me, do you gentlemen happen to know of any local gangs around here?" and then they laugh and say "yeah bro, we're the Bloodbath Mudslingers, we're the deadliest gang round here" and the professor writes it all down earnestly and shuffles up the street to the next group of youths on a corner and the scene repeats itself and before you know it a single street is in a published sociology paper as having 27 gangs down along it.

But then someone drivebys a house.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Yeah, Nah

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

simplefish posted:

live in a jucy

The Jucy game is fun, have you played it?

basically shout Jucy! whenever you see one on the road, and scream whenever you see one off the road upside down, or smashed up as the cause of a massive traffic accident with loss of life.

This 5 minute video will prepare you for driving in NZ in the left side of the road whilst jet lagged - Godspeed

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
They are all gangs made up of different clones of the fat kid from the hunt for the wilderpeople movie

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Kharnifex posted:

You can buy an ok house for 120k in Palmerston North, just do a P test first hahaha

Skip the test and assume it was a meth house and you're correct about 95% of the time in Palmy. What a shithole.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Hey now, they have a mall, with some cafes 😆

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Spent 10 days there, got about 2 hours of watery sunshine. The drabest place I've ever been.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Kharnifex posted:

They are all gangs made up of different clones of the fat kid from the hunt for the wilderpeople movie

FYI he's now a very fat kid.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

i like palmerstone north

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

simplefish posted:

i like palmerstone north

Spotted the person who has never been there.
(although the wind turbines do rule)

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

The best thing about Palmy is that its about 2 hours drive to a range of more interesting places.

Also the big lights around the base of the clock tower are neat if you're pissed but that's hardly a reason to visit.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
There are no boring places, only boring people :smug:

I'm pretty bored of Palmy.

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham
What does everyone in Palmy do since the Beer Barrel closed?

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

I bet houses are pretty cheap in Palmerston

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Whangsnui is like palmy but nice

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Naenae is nice, no one has been beaten to death in the street so far this year.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Jaguars! posted:

The drabest place I've ever been.

I assume you've never been to Hamilton then.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

sebmojo posted:

That's $520k US, don't know how that compares. If you don't mind a smaller town, you can get a nice house in somewhere like wanganui for a lot cheaper, decent amenities, couple hours drive from Wellington and great climate.

Unless you are one of the few that can make US dollars in NZ, the exchange rate is irrelevant. Wages are lower in NZ and the economy is weak.

As much as Americans complain, the US is actually one of the cheaper first world countries to live in - as long as you don't have any health problems, of course.

I'm paying $1700+ per month for 400 sq feet in Melbourne and I'm thrilled because that's half as much as a similar place costs in my home town of Vancouver.

edit:

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 30, 2019

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Unless you are one of the few that can make US dollars in NZ, the exchange rate is irrelevant. Wages are lower in NZ and the economy is weak.

As much as Americans complain, the US is actually one of the cheaper first world countries to live in - as long as you don't have any health problems, of course.

I'm paying $1700+ per month for 400 sq feet in Melbourne and I'm thrilled because that's half as much as a similar place costs in my home town of Vancouver.

edit:

i don't see Whanganui on that list

I'm gonna keep ridin this horse 'til it throws me

e: Rome is interesting

ee: having ACC and a tolerable public health system is actually an important part of affordability, though I appreciate it's not all accessible to foreigners

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

sebmojo posted:

e: Rome is interesting

Rome is affordable as long as you don't mind living in fear of being killed by one of the lunatic drivers there (ie all of them)

I read a while back (not sure if it's still true) that Rome had the highest rate of pedestrian injuries and deaths in the EU, EIGHT TIMES MORE than Copenhagen which had second place

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

edit:

Surprised that Singapore is on the second least list there, its affordable -only- if youre a native citizen iirc, and even then barely so.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
My experience with reading about NZ before actually moving there is that most of the information concerns the north island, but specifically Auckland. There's very little good information about the south island or even just affordability in rural NZ. In Christchurch housing was comparable in affordability to 2015 era central Canada, with the difference that the bottom end of the market had disappeared. Minimum buy-in to own a lovely house was probably $350k but the quality of life exceeds that which you find here, so it wasn't the end of the world. Renting was reasonably affordable, with the added bonus that the rental apartments were of much higher quality than similarly priced ones here.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
Milford sound is legit the most magical place on earth

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Slugnoid posted:

Doubtful sound is legit the most magical place on earth

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

504 posted:

FYI he's now a very fat kid.

It's because after Deadpool 2 he hunted down some of the clones and ate them

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
The model on the front of New Zealand’s much-hyped “wellbeing” budget has left New Zealand because the cost of living was too high.

quote:

Freeman told the New Zealand Herald she wasn’t aware her image had been picked from stock images to grace this year’s budget, and the choice was ironic considering she and daughter Ruby-Jean, 9, have since relocated to Australia because they couldn’t afford to make ends meet in New Zealand’s largest city, Auckland, which is in the midst of a housing crisis.

gentleman jay
Aug 5, 2018

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Xik posted:

I assume you've never been to Hamilton then.

The 'tron beats Palmy by a country mile

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Jaguars! posted:

The 'tron beats Palmy by a country mile

Is Hamilton still the syphilis capital of the country? I guess that's exciting

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

a country mile is still 900 miles behind the rest of NZ

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Palmerston north's motto should be "Palmerston North at least we're better than Levin."

naem
May 29, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

I've been working my way through the Great Walks, this country owns for hiking

Routeburn Track - Lake Mackenzie

Routeburn Track - Lake Mackenzie

Milford Track

Lake Waikaremoana

Tongariro Northern Circuit

Kepler Track

Kepler Track

wtf Great Walk takes 8 days, they're all like 3-4

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

Is Hamilton still the syphilis capital of the country? I guess that's exciting

Didnt the influx of single, young tradies in to Christchurch see that take the crown for a while? Although some of that may have been related to some racism, the same people who mentioned it also seemed to tie it to Irish builders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
It's 100% believable. A poo poo ton of young Irish guys moved to Christchurch and the male:female ratio was pretty hosed. Makes sense if the same girls are sleeping with a bunch of guys that syphilis gets passed around.