Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

lol have you seen how the 'graphics upgrade' went for JP?

I havent! I dont keep up with the Japan version anymore. But I am taking it that it was really bad?

Evil Fluffy posted:

While PSO2 is fun it's also very much a game with Dreamcast era design and structure and boy does it show its age in that regard. Even friends I played PSO with (usually splitscreen on Gamecube) have a hard time getting in to PSO2 because the game just feels ancient.

I understand, I actually really like the older design, but get that doesnt really appeal to a larger audience at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

While PSO2 is fun it's also very much a game with Dreamcast era design and structure and boy does it show its age in that regard. Even friends I played PSO with (usually splitscreen on Gamecube) have a hard time getting in to PSO2 because the game just feels ancient.

If it's regular PSO2 try installing through a storefront directly and don't mess with the Tweaker because it's not actually necessary at this point. Maybe run as admin as well (shouldn't be necessary though)?

Igor it on Steam and used it directly from there for like 8 or 9 months. I actually only downloaded the Tweaker once I tried everything else, but it didn’t make a difference. I guess I could try downloading the Windows store version but at this point I think the issue might be Gameguard itself.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I said come in! posted:

I havent! I dont keep up with the Japan version anymore. But I am taking it that it was really bad?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The anime faces got more creepy. :(

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Well, I downloaded the Windows Store version and it works for me. Steam one still doesn’t run after the Gameguard splash screen. Who fuckin knows what’s going on.

Also I don’t care about Sword Art Online, bring back the cool PSO anniversary event that I missed, SEGA!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Do the story quests in episode 6 need you to more or less have endgame gear if you want to do them in hardcore mode? I'm on the mission on Amduskia with the two dragon bosses at the end of each area and they seem to be crazy damage sinks without a dark blast. I also noticed the difficulty ramping up in episode 5 but I was at least able to get through those with some patience and practice, while now I'm plinking away for thirty minutes and when I take a hit I get ragdolled around while half of my healing items disappear.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

That's absolutely terrifying

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Coxswain Balls posted:

Do the story quests in episode 6 need you to more or less have endgame gear if you want to do them in hardcore mode? I'm on the mission on Amduskia with the two dragon bosses at the end of each area and they seem to be crazy damage sinks without a dark blast. I also noticed the difficulty ramping up in episode 5 but I was at least able to get through those with some patience and practice, while now I'm plinking away for thirty minutes and when I take a hit I get ragdolled around while half of my healing items disappear.

I'm super DPS-focused and the penultimate fight was an uninterrupted 40 minute slugfest. IDK how my stats and equipment match up though. I couldn't have beat any of the final story fights if I didn't subclass Etoile and inherit their invincibility and also had a weapon with an inherent 'take way less damage' trait.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Ep6 story stuff is way overtuned and also garbage, don't feel bad for doing it on casual mode or whatever

The SG ain't worth it man

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I liked the challenge and figuring out enemy and boss patterns in everything prior to episode 5, but since I went on my isekai adventure enemy encounters feel more like battles of attrition. It's like they had to offset the huge damage you can do with dark blasts so they made boss enemies into damage sponges to compensate.

Right now I'm using a pair of Novel Machineguns and a Stella Wall set, and I don't feel like grinding for equipment so I'll just do it on casual mode then. Thanks for the heads up.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

*me after hearing Varuna say "Swing and a miss" every two seconds for half an hour*: drat this is good

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Ahahahah Jesus Christ everything is made of paper in casual mode.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

kirbysuperstar posted:

*me after hearing Varuna say "Swing and a miss" every two seconds for half an hour*: drat this is good

I think that was the last quest I did on hardmode because god did that suck so much.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

It sucks that the boss balance is so messed up because the regular globots are just hard enough to fight solo that they feel like the threat they make them out to be in the plot whole still being fun. It also gave me a better opportunity to get a good look at their attack patterns compared to multiplayer quests where you're in rush mode.

Maybe I can equip some trash weapons to at least make it feel like a challenge.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of
Yeah If it weren't for those Dragons and the Varuna fights Hardcore would be in a great place.

Okay, I didn't actually mind that fight against Shiva taking forever. It felt appropriate. Good to know I dont just suck at the game at least!

Azzanadra
Jun 18, 2008

The Light is the power of Dance

Outside of Varuna 2 I don’t think I ever had to revisit an episode 6 story mission for the S Rank, although granted that is with relatively decent gear and using etoile as a subclass to mitigate the damage taken requirements.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of
I had to go back to the last mission for the true end requirements, since the first time around Tia and Pati folded immediately and failed the urgent quest. I could probably have done it on hardcore once I knew it was important but I think all told that quest took like an hour and half to finish on HC with no breaks and... yeah gently caress that

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I'm a 90/80 Gu/Hu so that might also have something to do with it. I haven't bothered with any of the scion classes since I don't want to go through leveling, finding a bunch of new weapons and learning a new playstyle when I'm probably just going to switch to NGS in a couple of weeks.

Right now for story quests I'm doing hardcore first and if there's a dumb fight that's going to take more than twenty minutes of chip damage I'll kick the difficulty down.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016

All that's left is the two event-focused campaigns and the story and I'm done with PSO2. Outside of leveling an alt since I have leftover Bonus Keys and EXP Tickets.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I don't think it's a coincidence that Risa gets upgraded to a main character in episode 6 and it also ends up having the most fun plot. I thought the thread title was a joke at first but yeah I really like all the space and obvious sci-fi stuff after going from reverse isekai to regular fantasy isekai back to back.

Also I was surprised enough to find out that Och and Phul were adults at the end of episode 4, and hearing Och's English VA is even more jarring. It definitely seems like a better fit though if they're old enough to be like professors, I thought they were supposed to be child prodigies or whatever.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

It's also a crime that we didn't get Maggie sooner. She's the best/worst.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I do appreciate the way she just straight up murders a man with magic snakes in like 2 seconds. Shiva could learn a lot about efficiency.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

7c Nickel posted:

I do appreciate the way she just straight up murders a man with magic snakes in like 2 seconds. Shiva could learn a lot about efficiency.

look, shiva had other things going on

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/play_pso2/status/1397243591353843720?s=20

It's 2.8 gb if you were curious.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Playing with it right now to see what kind of settings I can get away with when it comes out. So far it's mainly shadows and especially particle lighting that's causing framerate drops. I'm turning other stuff on or bumping up the quality on features one at a time and it's staying around 11k which should translate to a consistent 60fps. Way better than I was expecting on my old-rear end computer.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

:toot: Finally killed enough enemies to get the Tsumikiri camo. I think that's the last thing I was trying to do in PSO2.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The dust effects really kill the framerate in the benchmark.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Hyper Inferno posted:

The dust effects really kill the framerate in the benchmark.

I'm wondering if that's what it was during the urgent quest that was tanking my otherwise smooth framerate and not the actual beam attack itself. No matter what settings I use the part in the benchmark where the quadruped stumbles and falls before you bisect it causes dips to around 30-40fps.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
4,000 grinders and 60,000,000 meseta later I'm in possession of a pretty good unit and a weapon that'll probably be good when I can get my hands on better s-augments for it. Also, I might start selling crack II units, they're easy to make and people are charging way too much for them.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Coxswain Balls posted:

Playing with it right now to see what kind of settings I can get away with when it comes out. So far it's mainly shadows and especially particle lighting that's causing framerate drops. I'm turning other stuff on or bumping up the quality on features one at a time and it's staying around 11k which should translate to a consistent 60fps. Way better than I was expecting on my old-rear end computer.

This is way more productive than what I've been doing with it

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
oh yeah forgot to post it in here, here's an update roadmap leading up to the end of the year, and an update on when to expect the return of Summoner and Gunblades
https://twitter.com/NextTimePSO2/status/1397168759698231307
NGS Launch will add 2 more exploration zones (the western beach and a northern lake), and 2 more combat zones like mt magus (the ruined facility to the east of central, the glowy forest just north of central), the remaining weapon types for the first six classes, more class skills, and of course more cocoons to get skill points from.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
https://twitter.com/play_pso2/status/1399561851172573185

Right, so PSO2 NGS is launching on the 9th of June. A little over a week from now.

If anyone that hasn't played PSO2 before is planning on joining up for the launch, we would appreciate you joining a little early and getting in the Alliance. This will get everyone, including you, a free emote, and some star gems.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Well, that gives me a week to finish affixing my armor, because god knows when we'll get another 20% boost month.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Hell yeah can't wait.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Hell, it’s about time.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
poo poo right I probably should get on writing up a new OP, I guess mostly from scratch this time since everything's going under the carpet pretty much haha...

I'll keep some PSO2-classic information in the 2nd post or something.

in the meantime hows about the time-honored tradition of thread title suggestions; don't forget the character limit is like, 75? I think?

here's the only one I could think of at the moment:

PSO2 New Genesis: This is (not) Episode 7

a bit of a joke is that the first thread was titled in a similar format

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Why do Long Twintails cost 20 million Meseta and how on earth do I get that much.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Is there a quick summary somewhere of how the weapon/unit transfer stuff works? Like a +35 13-14 star turns into a +40 level 10 weapon and a +35 15 star turns into a level 15 +40 weapon but what about units and do you get anything for 12 star stuff that's +35...etc?

NextTime000 posted:

PSO2 New Genesis: Not Xenoblade Chronicles X 2 But Close Enough

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

NextTime000 posted:

poo poo right I probably should get on writing up a new OP, I guess mostly from scratch this time since everything's going under the carpet pretty much haha...

I'll keep some PSO2-classic information in the 2nd post or something.

in the meantime hows about the time-honored tradition of thread title suggestions; don't forget the character limit is like, 75? I think?

PSO2 New Genesis: This is (Not) Evangelion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

Why do Long Twintails cost 20 million Meseta and how on earth do I get that much.

Are you going to be online tonight? I can pull one of these out of my shop.