Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifisto

corpses christi is coming along great! I've been watching a bunch of geometry nodes tutorials lately and this one may be relevant to you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Maqs85Lgj5Y

"camera culling" the particles (points, really) on your landscape may be a way to greatly reduce the number of particle objects that need to be calculated at any one time. basically, only stuff that's visible to the camera is instanced for each frame.

however, doing a very wide angle overview shot is definitely going to pose an issue. I am wondering whether it might work for you to have all the particles baked to a bump and color texture that you can use when the camera is very far away from the landscape, and then you'd switch from the bump and texture to the particles/points as the camera gets closer. getting that to look seamless might be tricky, you might have to actually fade the transition over a few frames using the VSE.

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horrible Butts

Manifisto posted:

I am wondering whether it might work for you to have all the particles baked to a bump and color texture that you can use when the camera is very far away from the landscape, and then you'd switch from the bump and texture to the particles/points as the camera gets closer. getting that to look seamless might be tricky, you might have to actually fade the transition over a few frames using the VSE.

Reminds me of this video by mister donut
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ9VmCN2EsE

Khanstant I love to see gobland in 3d please dedicate your life to enacting it in detail a la Synecdoche, New York.

I started learning blender last month + I just wish I'd gotten into it sooner! Having a blast playing with tutorials + finding janky ways to make something work.
I've never been much of a visual artist but something about blender is really clicking for me.

Made some plants with arrays and whatever else looked good. Soothing to make, I'd like to fill a room with em eventually.

My donut

First big(ish) project. The lighting is still not perfect but it's come a long way!

https://giant.gfycat.com/sillyremorsefuldipper.webm
Thank you Prof. Crocodile for the fun festive winter sig!
Arcane gob born of Khanstant's goblin gumball machine!

Khanstant

currently waiting for blender beta with the new geomtry nodes to jazz up my trees and stuff.

finally played with grease pencil some! It's pretty swell, set up some mediocre animation loops up in a lil scene. Fun. Kind of wish the 2d had more "tween" options over frame by frame but hey, this is better than Flash and Illustrator for vector drawing!
https://i.imgur.com/64mxzQG.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/9cZH2ld.gifv

Khanstant

Horrible Butts posted:

First big(ish) project. The lighting is still not perfect but it's come a long way!

oooh thats slick, looks great!

Manifisto

Horrible Butts posted:

Reminds me of this video by mister donut
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ9VmCN2EsE

Khanstant I love to see gobland in 3d please dedicate your life to enacting it in detail a la Synecdoche, New York.

I started learning blender last month + I just wish I'd gotten into it sooner! Having a blast playing with tutorials + finding janky ways to make something work.
I've never been much of a visual artist but something about blender is really clicking for me.

Made some plants with arrays and whatever else looked good. Soothing to make, I'd like to fill a room with em eventually.

My donut

mmm you have been doing some good stuff! and yeah, that tutorial does cover the displacement concept I was talking about. khanstant and I have been chatting about it a bit in the discord.

your donuts especially are great, v dynamic

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

Khanstant posted:

currently waiting for blender beta with the new geomtry nodes to jazz up my trees and stuff.

finally played with grease pencil some! It's pretty swell, set up some mediocre animation loops up in a lil scene. Fun. Kind of wish the 2d had more "tween" options over frame by frame but hey, this is better than Flash and Illustrator for vector drawing!
https://i.imgur.com/64mxzQG.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/9cZH2ld.gifv

lol I have complimented your in progress stuff on the discord but it's all really coming together. and that hotdog hahaha

Warbird

America's Favorite Dumbass

Blender Guru going all in on NFTs is a bit disappointing, but he’s done a great deal for the software. If my understanding is right he’s now having everyone that can send him their doughnut files and is planning to rending them out into some massive meta doughnut collage and sell it with proceeds going to Blender. Via NFTs of course.

Manifisto

Warbird posted:

Blender Guru going all in on NFTs is a bit disappointing, but he’s done a great deal for the software. If my understanding is right he’s now having everyone that can send him their doughnut files and is planning to rending them out into some massive meta doughnut collage and sell it with proceeds going to Blender. Via NFTs of course.

yep. if people want to send him their donut (according to his instructions) feel free I guess. I'm sure the blender foundation can use whatever comes out of it, shame about the environmental impact though.

ty nesamdoom!

nut

This was apparently animated in blender and I dunno how but it hurts how good it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-TJm7HkzkQ

biosterous

that is incredible

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

NonzeroCircle

El Camino
I'm dumb and have a very rudimentary understanding of NFTs (they are 'digital originals', right?), why are they bad for the environment? Is it like crypto just eating energy?

nut

NonzeroCircle posted:

I'm dumb and have a very rudimentary understanding of NFTs (they are 'digital originals', right?), why are they bad for the environment? Is it like crypto just eating energy?

this is prob the best succinct response about them i've seen from an artist I like

https://twitter.com/FelixColgrave/status/1389035070833324038?s=20

As far as I understand, the importance is financial value tied to a piece of art, which results in the art taking on a wholly superficial function. The value generated comes from crypto like computer crunching which has no inherent value outside of its tokenistic form in exchange of nfts. The division between the financial value and whatever value was in the art is most apparent in the rising cases where the NFT owner is permitted to destroy the original artwork to increase the NFT value lol

Of course crypto is pure computer waste for speculative value, but the extension of this meaningless to art is truly incredible. Truly the fraudulent hand of civilization.

Jenny Agutter

geometry nodes are neat
https://i.imgur.com/7eMH33R.mp4

Prof. Crocodile

:eyepop:

Manifisto

this is great
march of the sentient beer glasses / bongs

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

bump!

today marks the release of a milestone new version of the program, Blender 2.93 LTS. get it here for free:

https://www.blender.org/

the "LTS" stands for "long term support," which means the developers are going to keep this particular version updated and bug fixed for a long period (2 years) even while continuing to release new versions. perfect for those who value feature and interface stability over getting the latest in terms of updates and capabilities.

as has become the norm, this new version is chock full of improvements and new features, particularly in the realm of the procedural "geometry nodes." there's far too much new stuff in this and other recent updates for me to fully understand let alone explain. but it's important to note that the basics of the program haven't really changed much; there are just a lot of newer and in many cases better/more flexible ways to do things.

blender development, and its adoption into various parts of the 2d/2d/animation ecosystem, has been pretty insane for a while now. I fully expect this to continue, the developers have a road map with lots of ambitious plans (including a Blender 3.0 this autumn). it kinda rules, and best of all the price of an admission ticket is free!

ty nesamdoom!

Khanstant
cant wait for the tuts to show me the true power tricks of geo nodes. the wobble vases up there look great!!

its also wild u can already preview cycles 3.0 and cycles x O.O

Manifisto

Khanstant posted:

cant wait for the tuts to show me the true power tricks of geo nodes. the wobble vases up there look great!!

its also wild u can already preview cycles 3.0 and cycles x O.O

this version is supposed to have much better cycles render times, esp. for animations (it caches much more stuff from frame to frame)

ty nesamdoom!

Khanstant
i wonder how much of that stuff was included in that Blender e-cycles thing I got for a dollar, which really peed up lookdev and animationsd the same way i think. i remember you saying e-cycles just goes to support the dev/blender and they eventually roll all that cool stuff into blender proper

deep dish peat moss

nut posted:

this is prob the best succinct response about them i've seen from an artist I like

https://twitter.com/FelixColgrave/status/1389035070833324038?s=20

As far as I understand, the importance is financial value tied to a piece of art, which results in the art taking on a wholly superficial function. The value generated comes from crypto like computer crunching which has no inherent value outside of its tokenistic form in exchange of nfts. The division between the financial value and whatever value was in the art is most apparent in the rising cases where the NFT owner is permitted to destroy the original artwork to increase the NFT value lol

Of course crypto is pure computer waste for speculative value, but the extension of this meaningless to art is truly incredible. Truly the fraudulent hand of civilization.

Whoa hold on, there are some things here that are important about both crypto and NFTs that should be clarified, because they are a major technological game-changer and really, really cool if you understand them - but selling jpegs isn't what they're for.

This is kind of a big effort post because I'm very passionate about this, crypto is doing some amazing things right now (unrelated to finances) and NFTs are about to evolve to a whole new level, but there are a ton of misconceptions surrounding both.

Part 1:

The purpose of an NFT is not to sell digital art - the digital art NFTs were definitely a fad for a minute but the intrinsic value of an NFT has nothing to do with the image attached to it.

Blockchain tech in general can be simplified as a digital, foolproof, worldwide ledger of ownership. It's the first piece of technology that provides verified ownership (including various rights) of digital items - be they currency, digital art, or whatever.

What makes NFTs special and unique is that they are a digital file that (1) has verified, verifiable ownership and more importantly (2) the ownership of which can be attached to any number of things - event tickets, right to reproduce the work commercially or otherwise, access to [something special], etc.

They're still a bit too new in the public eye for any major projects to have taken advantage of this and one of the creators of Ethereum (the blockchain all NFTs currently run on) has expressed disdain for them because there aren't many people using them for their intended purpose yet - but let's imagine some legitimate, rad as hell things that can be done with NFTs:
(1) You create a design and turn it into an NFT and attach ownership of the NFT to commercial rights for the image. You can now sell this NFT to a business entity - without ever even having to interact with them at all, they can literally buy it from your storefront - and they gain the legal right to reprint your work commercially. Okay, that's already pretty rad but it gets even better: That business entity can easily (if they want) resell that NFT to another entity at any time, granting the legal right to reprint the work - and you as the artist can set up a royalty structure so that you get a royalty percentage every time the NFT is ever exchanged. This is a massive door opener for commercial artists and their ability to get paid.

(2) A band releases an album as an NFT. Owning the NFT gives you special access rights to stream the album online. Okay, cool - but here's where it gets neat: whoever buys it can, at any time, re-sell that NFT, much like a physical album. Except it gets better; since the artist can set up a royalty structure for all trades, the artist now gets a percentage of any second-hand sale of that album in the future. This not only empowers the band/artists to be paid directly for the sale of their art, but it also solves the music industry's long-standing rivalry with used album resales.

(3) Anything that relies on proof of ownership can now be made digital along similar principles as the above two examples. Season tickets for your favorite sports team? Bam - they're an NFT, you can re-sell them at any time AND the team even gets a cut of that re-sale. They're immediately verified at the gate and foolproof.

Part 2:
Crypto in general is not really built as a "currency" (though many cryptocoins are designed as currency - the majority of them are essentially more like work tokens for a specific blockchain - it's a token that allows you to... do the thing that that blockchain does). Blockchain is truly just a verified, foolproof recorded ledger. The ways that this can be used (and is being used in some real-world examples) is a huge step forward for the digital infrastructure of developing countries.

There are two major types of crypto, Proof of Work and Proof of Stake.

(warning: these are my layman's understandings, I may be off on a few details but the spirit of this is correct)

Currently* most major cryptos Proof of Work (bitcoin, ethereum, etc). Proof of Work is garbage technology that was designed by people who didn't know what they were doing yet - and PoW specifically is what is responsible for the environmental impacts of crypto, the massive energy costs, etc. Essentially Proof of Work generates/pays you cryptocoins in exchange for using your computer's hardware to run absurdly complex series of calculations to process and maintain the central ledger. This hardware tax is what leads to the energy use that's making a splash in the mainstream media these days and it's what makes older crypto garbage.

Proof of Stake crypto is completely different - it doesn't rely on a slave network of hashing computers, it removes that massive energy tax entirely. Instead, coins are paid out to you by first purchasing coins, then "Staking" them (essentially sticking them in a savings account) - you're then paid a percentage of your stake every "epoch" (period of time). The verification and processing of the ledger is instead handled by a handful of smaller "pools" designed to be as efficient as possible - when you process a transaction, a pool records, verifies, and secures it and then you pay them a transaction fee (the tokens I mentioned earlier)

As a result, Proof of Stake crypto has a far, far lower (by a factor of several magnitudes) energy cost than Proof of Work crypto, and is/can be even more energy efficient than traditional processing methods.

*I say "currently" because, largely thanks to Elon Musk's weird market manipulation shedding public light on a lot of this in the past 2 months, the crypto world is undergoing a major shift toward proof of stake crypto. Ethereum itself (The #2 crypto, and where currently almost all NFTs are minted) is in the process of transitioning to Proof of Stake, but more importantly I want to talk about a blockchain named Cardano here; Cardano is a proof of stake blockchain which is doing some loving cool real-world poo poo which I'll talk about in a minute, but also has a strong technical pedigree - one of the original creators of ethereum is behind it, it's all backed by peer-reviewed research (the only blockchain that is), and it's focused on solving all of the problems that couldn't be foreseen when creating the first generation of crypto - and it's kicking rear end at it.

Cardano is expecting to launch its Smart Contracts API by this August - Smart Contracts are the API that allow NFTs to function. So by August (maybe a few months later since someone needs to develop a NFT app/platform once the API comes out) we're going to have a major NFT platform that (1) Doesn't use absurd amounts of energy and (2) has transaction fees in the range of a few cents, rather than hundreds of dollars per minting/trade (like Ethereum has). This is (as far as I know) the first time we're going to have an NFT platform that isn't total garbage, which is pretty dang cool.

Okay here's an example of the cool real-world poo poo I mentioned before;

Ethiopia recently announced a major initiative called Digital Ethiopia 2025, a program to get the country of Ethiopia digitized. This includes some major initiatives like providing tablets and free internet infrastructure to the entire country. Cardano is one of their partners in this, and here's what they're doing;

Going forward, all Ethiopian students (and eventually all citizens, it's just starting with students) are going to receive a National ID powered by Cardano blockchain. This ID is going to be the first form of centralized ID that Ethiopians have ever had, and it's going to allow students to register their academic accomplishments, degrees, dipomas, etc. as well as work history, certifications, etc. to the blockchain. When they apply for jobs in the future, their prospective employers can easily perform automated background checks and verify their credentials. Same goes for applying for loans or virtually anything else that relies on verification of identity/education/employment/etc. And since the Digital Ethiopia 2025 program is going to include bringing tablet and internet access to the entirely of Ethiopia, no one will be left behind due to lack of access/poverty/etc.

This can easily be expanded in the future to include anything else that can/should be tracked with a person's identity - home or vehicle ownership, direct deposit, voting, etc. It's absolutely fair to argue that this is draconian and dystopian, but it's undeniably a major step forward for virtually all of Earth's communications, and as far as I can see, this stuff is the (still-kinda-distant) future.

At the end of the day, NFTs are essentially a platform that bridges the gap and blurs the line between digital and physical ownership of an item - be it a unit of currency, an academic record, a song, or just a dumb image. They make it possible to "own" something digital or intangible the same way you can own something physical or tangible - which has never been truly possible before. I'm as annoyed by the "sell your art as a NFT!" fad as everyone else is and I just wanted to post this so that ppl don't conflate that fad with NFTs as a whole :kiddo: Our lil virtual world is growing up and starting to metaphysically merge with the tangible one, and the singularity has begun.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 5, 2021

biosterous

that sounds hellish tbh

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
But the best thing about NFTs is that your NFT that you bought on Etherium or whatever won't be compatible with the NFTs generated on Cardano or whatever, so you'll have to install a new, distinct client on your phone (because nobody makes clients for non-phones any more) for every new protocol, and since nobody wants to use someone else's protocol and risk it going away outside of their control, eventually every digital transaction you do will have its own distinct app you have to download and sync with a download of the 1TB blockchain of garbage that that new protocol has generated! And then it will stop working and be meaningless in 6 months to 3 years when the same group invent an even better one.

Kind of like the premise of EA and Ubisoft trying to make their own stores because they don't want to use Steam, but even better.

Edit: and of course the end result of this process is something like Coinbase or Kraken, where all your transactions and ownerships are managed in a single central server that you shouldn't trust, and all the value of crypto proof of whatever is utterly negated.

Manifisto

color me cynical about NFTs. I don't want to go into an effortpost (because that would require a lot of research lol) but a lot of the "magic" people ascribe to NFTs has essentially nothing to do with the technology, it has to do with the associated legal framework, which is in many cases highly sketchy and untested, if not downright fictional. using the blockchain to establish "proof" of ownership of, say, a painting means nothing unless a court is willing to accept that this is legally sufficient. by "proof" here I am not talking about what makes sense logically or even equitably, it's really a function of things like contract law, securities law, IP law, and so on whether various rights and burdens are legally transferred by a given transaction. a big part of this framework relates to what happens when things go wrong, for example what happens if someone sells an NFT that purports to include IP rights but the seller does not have those IP rights or they are impaired by something like a copyright violation. again, ownership of the NFT by itself does not and cannot "prove" you own IP rights, that really comes down to IP (and contract) law. at best, as between you and the person who sold it to you it might prove that you have the better claim, but not any sort of absolute proof of ownership.

rich people (effectively) securitizing things to be assets freely tradable on a market is a classic boondoggle. think of mortgage-backed securities and how well that worked out lol. the goal is largely to make tons of money by inflating the value of assets through trading and other strategies and get out before the house of cards collapses. clearly what our economy needs is more bubbles!

ty nesamdoom!

Khanstant
I see IP, copyright, and patent law as all the same disgusting and rotten bandaid meant to cover a huge gash of a far larger issues that desperately needs to be addressed. As such, the best-fantasy use-case for NFTs is just more complication to ownership that will disproportionately benefit those who already have power/wealth. Seems also like it'd facilitate software itself taking advantage, any file you create in photoshop marked to note if it's sold in any form, they get their cut for letting you use photoshop. Beyond that it's clear the negative effects of blockchain already far exceed even the most generous hypothetical benefit of them

In a halfway decent world*, everything covered under those things would be public domain instantly, nobody can have any idea in a vacuum, people only exist and have the ideas they do because of an unbroken history of free idea-sharing, it is our ability to mimic one another, learn from others without experimenting everything ourselves, to extrapolate from experiences and observations and just thinking and talking to one another. It is a blessing capitalism and copyright/patent/IP laws are so recent of scourges upon civilization, if this mindset had existed at the beginning, we'd still be paying a royalty anytime we poke a seed into the dirt hoping the Wheeler and Axle families die off since they won't license their family inventions to anyone else and all they make with it is one stupid wooden kid's toy.

*in halfway decent world, artists, like all other people who were born and aren't dead yet, by default, would have a good quality of life, with food, health, education, housing, clothing, electricity, internet, and other bare-minimum expectations for any government since people first organized under one.

Manifisto

bumping the thrad to let those who may be interested know that Blender version 3.0 was released just a few days ago. the showreel from the blender site (https://www.blender.org) highlights some of the new/upgraded features:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRqY_20ti9A

if you don't use blender full time it's rather tough to keep up with all the stuff they keep adding.

maybe we'll do another "make things with blender" thread one of these days . . .

vanisher

3 whole blenders!!

deep dish peat moss

Hey blender thread check this out

https://www.humblebundle.com/software/learn-create-game-art-blender-software

It's a humble bundle of 20 courses about Blender (well most of them are) from gamedev.tv. $25 gets you all of them

I bought it and I'm gonna go through em starting tomorrow but I don't know if they're any good yet. They seem pretty thorough from what I've glanced at, ranging anywhere from 1-4 hours each.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 21, 2021

Ayin

Have a great day.
hello thread! I bookmarked you a long time ago and then forgot entirely!

I haven't done anything with blender yet but I found a really neat tool for extracting textures from photos: https://sandripper.vercel.app/

here's a video explaining it

Manifisto

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's a humble bundle of 20 courses about Blender (well most of them are) from gamedev.tv. $25 gets you all of them

I bought it and I'm gonna go through em starting tomorrow but I don't know if they're any good yet. They seem pretty thorough from what I've glanced at, ranging anywhere from 1-4 hours each.

cool, let us know how it goes!

Ayin posted:

hello thread! I bookmarked you a long time ago and then forgot entirely!

I haven't done anything with blender yet but I found a really neat tool for extracting textures from photos: https://sandripper.vercel.app/

here's a video explaining it

thanks, this is pretty neat. hope I remember it next time I need to extract a texture.

ty nesamdoom!

NumptyScrub

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

NonzeroCircle posted:

You need to complete proof of work in order to earn the right to create an NFT on the relevant blockchain. IIRC this proof of work is exactly the same proof of work you would use to mint crypto itself, so yes it is identical in it's effects on the environment :ughh:

Manifisto

thought I'd bump this in honor of Blender 3.1 coming out

I'll post some actual content soonish, I promise!

ty nesamdoom!

Dr. Chainsaws PhD

more people should use the skin modifier to make hosed up looking guy's in blender. i feel like a lotta people don't know about it

here's a video on it, it's a bit... let's say odd, at times, but it has a lot of good info about it. you can make a little hosed up guy in less than an hour, and it works with the automatic rigging too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAAwy_l4jw4

Manifisto

good tip! I've used it to make custom trees a few times but that's about it.

ty nesamdoom!

Dr. Chainsaws PhD

Manifisto posted:

good tip! I've used it to make custom trees a few times but that's about it.

yeah it's great for trees too. especially if you keep the smoothing to a minimum bc then you can get some nice runescape 2 rear end trees

deep dish peat moss

deep dish peat moss posted:

ok I finally started going through this today (8 months later, lol), I am bad at learning from videos/lectures but after watching the first few parts about how to manipulate and move basic objects and duplicate and etc. and watching how they started to build a well, and watching the part about basic materials, I paused the vid and messed around a little and made this

so far: blender's pretty fun! I feel like at this point I could already make a basic scene just by stacking lots of primaries together and it'd be neat but I want to learn how to do it more efficiently. ok now back to the videos

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 26, 2022

Manifisto

neat! good work friend!

ty nesamdoom!

deep dish peat moss

Also since the thing that got me interested in Blender originally was a video that was in this thread (I think?) about using blender to model primaries for traditional illustration I started messin' around with that too and it's neat to be able to draw things from odd angles and have all the lighting and perspective computed for me. Obviously super rough but

My goal is to mix the two and illustrate on top of basic 3d rendered scenes eventually (not greasepencil but modeling a scene then touching it up in procreate or whatnot), I have a cool idea for how it would look... I think. But that's a ways off

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 27, 2022

deep dish peat moss

I haven't been the most focused on blender. This is because getting the footwork in with Blender pushed me toward some other types of 3d modeling for the time being since they're what I need more immediately. Most recently I've been spending time with Effekseer for creating particle animations. The documentation is all in Japanese so I haven't bothered following any videos or tutorials or guides I've just been poking around with it. I drew a 77+ different particle sprites to make animations with.

Here's a first take on an animation for an ability called "Brainstorm" which is a psychic attack move

It's pretty fun!! It's kind of like Blender but instead of modeling anything, you stick 2d sprites called Nodes in the 3d space and then you modify their properties and the properties of forces that are affecting them, etc. I think this could in theory be used to do some really neat weather effects too. That entire effect consists of just these few 64x64 sprites:

Then I believe the "professional vfx"/blender equivalent would be doing the same thing with Volumes instead of Sprites.

e: If anyone else is interested in getting into it:
https://effekseer.github.io/en/
Here's a gallery of all the learning sprites I've made for myself:
https://imgur.com/a/1a4F6Xj or here's a pay-what-you-want itch.io download of them: https://rhymetraveler.itch.io/particle-sprite-bundle

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 4, 2022

Manifisto

that looks really cool! blender has an awful lot of stuff in it that is not primarily modeling based/dependent, for example the kinds of effects you're talking about could be realized with particle systems which have become a lot more powerful with the node-based particles, along with things like force fields and so on. there's certainly something to be said for a more streamlined/focused tool which lets you get up to speed quicker however!

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tipps

party in the front

business in the back
I had an art binge a few weeks ago and made things in Blender, including an aviar

I learned a lot about shaders

And made this beefy asgore for the amusement of a tumblr mutual

I started learning 2d/3d cg art almost exactly 2y ago and it's been a good new hobby in these troubled times :unsmith: