Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
I'm not sure why I waited so long to look at this thread; it's FILLED with cool models and animations that yobbers have made. Very nice work, all!

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blaise rascal

Manifisto posted:

funny you should say that, I was just looking at some tutorials for 2d artists doing that exact thing. again, probably you won't be able to follow specifically, but hopefully you can get the gist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmWKNH-5wXI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYgekCE0gM4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eUl17SRPds
This is relevant to my interests

I was thinking of using something like Opentoonz to mess around with animation, but now I’m considering blender instead

blaise rascal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c57qq2nE3B0
:eyepop:

blaise rascal

Tim Heidecker, on the topic of blender: "It's free"

blaise rascal

:ducksiren: it's happening :ducksiren:

blaise rascal

https://i.imgur.com/mig2aVR.mp4

Okay, greasepencil kicks rear end

blaise rascal

deep dish peat moss posted:

This is really cool, I don't have a full grasp on keeping my cursor in the right 3d space yet but it's fun to draw this way even though this is all i've managed so far

I'm not interested in 3d modeling but arranging multiple 2d drawings in 3d? hell yea!

I wish I had a computer that didn't struggle to run blender though
Hey, it looks like you're about as far along as I am!

I'm pleasantly surprised how easy it is to draw in greasepencil. The sculpt tool makes it so that I can screw up as much as I want, and it's super intuitive to pull things back into submission. Demo:

Also, the bucket tool works like a dream - all it does is magic select a region, grow the selection by a few pixels, and fill in the shape on a lower layer. But that is literally all I've ever wanted out of a bucket tool.

There are still some issues, such as the fact that I keep accidentally deleting parts of the drawing somehow, but I'm having fun!

e: By the way, I'm using licecap for these animated gifs

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 10, 2020

blaise rascal

Sing it with me now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DcKiwFXDUA

TAAAAAAAAAAKE OOOOOOOOOOON MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

blaise rascal

well why not posted:

this seems to competent and educational for byob

Agreed, RazzleDazzleHour and Manifisto are on another level

blaise rascal

I seem to have dug myself into a hole. I grabbed my greasepencil layer and moved it away from the canvas, and now I can't go back and edit my book drawing. I can't get my cursor back to the book layer, nor can I move the book layer exactly back onto the canvas. (I can get close just by clicking and dragging but it's not perfect.)

Am I just out of luck? Shift + right click only seems able to move the 3D cursor to meshes, not to greasepencil drawings, so that's not an option.

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 17, 2020

blaise rascal

Thanks manifisto for sending me some tips over discord! I can get pretty close just by clicking and dragging

But to make it exact, I need to select a point on the stroke in edit view, then press F3 -> "Snap cursor to selected points"

From there I can switch to object mode, right click and select "set origin to 3d cursor" so that the canvas will continue to appear in this spot in the future! Amazing!

blaise rascal

Definite sig material

I made a bit of progress on my book drawing thing. I'm not sure why the green book sometimes gets covered up by the cube, but I should be able to shuffle things around until that doesn't happen

blaise rascal

Jenny Agutter posted:

the classic "donut image"

i wish i knew how to get the icing material to look better. it looked better with some procedural displacement mapping but the sprinkle particles clipped through it
A very tasty donut! I have yet to make any shape other than a cube so far.

Here's my progress on my project:

This is pretty much how the finished drawing will look. I may add a few more flying books, or try to think of an interesting background. In the meantime, though, let's try out greasepencil's onionskinning to add some animation!

It seems to be working pretty well. My only gripe is that the smart "interpolation" algorithm doesn't seem able to read my mind, meaning that I have to actually draw every frame. I have always loved animation, and I think I may take an animation class online once this flying-book project is done.

Here's something unrelated: a really cool town image. There's just something about NPR (non photo realistic) blender art that really does it for me.
https://twitter.com/luamono/status/1269965234334302208

blaise rascal

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Man, LOT of cool stuff here in the last few days!

I'm getting close to finishing my latest project, I've got all the modeling done, I just need to start filling the space with clutter, which will primarily be pieces of paper who photos and writing printed on them and scatter them throughout the room. I did spend the time on getting raytracing working though. I'm rendering this in real-time in Unreal, so you can press play to move through the scene as a game

Wow, can't wait to see what that looks like with papers and stuff! It already looks so good

vanisher posted:

All done and animated!

Chef's kiss

That is a very satisfying plate drop. Good work

I, too, have finished my project:
https://i.imgur.com/If5rSWt.mp4

I made this by following this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c57qq2nE3B0
It's based on this cool artwork by Julie Dillon: https://www.deviantart.com/juliedillon/art/The-Archivist-564611828

There are ways I could continue to improve it, but I think I'm done with it for now - got other stuff to do, such as a certain byob-themed text adventure game to beat :gritin:

blaise rascal

Manifisto posted:

great job, a lot of fun and it looks fantastic
thanks!

ooh, I'll have to keep this in mind if I make a photorealistic scene

Question for anyone: Do you like to watch tv while you do blender? Sometimes I like to watch twitch in a separate window. What's a good show (perhaps a lightweight anime) I should use for this purpose?

blaise rascal

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

My brain is completely broken and I have a twitch stream on at literally all times, sometimes more than one or sometimes one twitch stream and a youtube video. I don't have any positive work habits or anything, I just put on the video equivalent of comfort food, something going on that I know I'll enjoy and won't draw my attention from the work. Like, I have the next five days off of work and have a LOT I wanna get done, so I'm probably gonna leave the entire playlist of Giant Bomb's Persona 4 endurance run going for the entire time including when I sleep, and then listen to "Maybe One Day You'll See Me Again" by Viper at least six times. I have a second monitor that is basically on 24/7 background noise duty.

Anyways here's a cool tutorial I think people here will like a lot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEgzuMmJtu8
Well I'd say you have decent work habits, considering you're able to make such cool scenes! If background noise helps you get work done, then maybe there's not a problem with it? Idk. The concept of "screen time" and "motivation" and "distraction" is one I think about a lot. Lately I've been trying to dedicate myself more to using block site, a nifty browser add-on where you can click on "start" and it will start a timer for 25 minutes, and it blocks distracting sites for that duration. I've also REALLY tried to stop myself from looking at screens at night. (I use my iphone's "bedtime" feature for this.) If left to my own devices I will definitely watch twitch all day, haha.

I will say, though, that if you think your brain is "broken," the good news is that it is possible to make a change.

Anyway, this may be counterproductive, but I just started watching Avatar the Last Airbender while doing art. I'll see if it ends up being a positive or negative thing.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Anyways here's a cool tutorial I think people here will like a lot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEgzuMmJtu8
That is really cool! I find it kind of interesting how there are two main ways people seem to make non-photo-realistic art in blender.
Method 1: Start with a 3D model and try to render it in a way that it looks like a 2D drawing
Method 2: Start with a 2D drawing and make it blend in well to a 3D background

This ghibli tree video is an example of method 1. Also, I think Method 1 is how "Into The Spider Verse" was made. But my book render was mostly method 2; only the cubes were 3D. Dedouze seems to use method 2 a lot. Method 1 and method 2 seem like they are approaching the same problem, but from different directions. Not sure which one I think is better for me personally in the long term.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Alright I'll eventually do a final pass on this where I mess with all the color grading and post-processing but otherwise all the actual work is done

Very cool! I suppose this is some kind of Japanese grocery store. If you don't mind me asking, why are there so many lights on the ceiling?

blaise rascal

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

It's based on an image of the Tsukiji indoor fish market, and the place is loaded with florescents. I'll actually just totally pull back the curtain and show you the reference image I used for the scene

Oh, I see! Very cool.

blaise rascal

Hey all, I have an idea, and I'd like the opinion of byob's resident 3D experts.

The ludum dare game development jam will be from October 2nd to October 5th, and I think it might be fun if byob participates. That means that byob would work together to make a game from start to finish in 72 hours, and the game would ideally fit a theme that will be announced October 2nd. In my imagination, there would be a few people (maybe just me) creating the code for the game, but everyone in byob would be able to create and submit assets (music, art, etc.) if they wanted. I haven't run this idea by any mod yet, but let's assume for the sake of this post that there wouldn't be any issue with this.

There's a month until the event starts, which means I have plenty of time to set up the development environment before then. So here comes the question: should the game be 2D or 3D?

If the game was 3D then we could include all the 3D models that people make in blender. And we could still include 2D art. If for instance someone makes an mspaint drawing of a donut, then we could paste that donut onto a wall, or tile it and make it the floor texture, or make it a floating sprite in the air, or whatever. But I know nothing about blender modeling, so the people in this thread would have to really step up with some models (unless the entire game was 2d floating donuts). Also, I'd have to learn unity, but I think that may be doable in a month.

On the other hand, we could just make a 2D game. We couldn't use any 3D models, but the game overall might be simpler, plus none of you would feel obligated to do anything. For a 2D game, I could just use haxedevelop, the same gamedev program I've always used - limited as it is. Any thoughts? I feel like if several people are excited to make 3D models, then we should go with blender, but if it seems like a chore to y'all then we should just do haxedevelop.

TLDR: Do y'all want to make some 3D models for a byob project from october 2nd to october 5th? If not, instead we'll do a different project that does not need 3D models.

blaise rascal

Manifisto posted:

it's an interesting and ambitious idea (ambitious for byob I mean, which is apt to declare success and move on). I might be able to contribute some assets, depending on how fancy they needed to be, and like the idea in theory!
I mean, I did the last ludum dare by myself, so I feel like byob could contribute as much or as little as desired. When considered in that light, I don't think it's too ambitious. It really helps that the event is constrained to 72 hours, so there's no time for arguing or debating.

Y'know, maybe asking for y'all to contribute models, AND me trying to learn unity, might be too much. So I'm leaning toward 2D & haxeflixel at this time. Actually, come to think of it, 3D animations could still be added as gifs or even sprite sheets, so that's good! I'll plan on going 2D, unless someone in this thread says they really want to try out the 3D idea.

vanisher posted:

I don't know how much time i'd have to contribute but I could do some things

We could also just do a thing where we pretend we are doing the contest and you make a game in three days! We get buy in from people for contributions over that period and then whatever it is at the end is what we've done.
Not sure exactly what you mean by "buy in"

blaise rascal

I've been messing around with the Godot game engine lately, and it's been a blast. It reminds of blender because it's open source, and because it's one piece of software that can do a ton of different things.

Here is a demo project (not mine) that shows the layout pretty well. Everything is super object-oriented; the Outside "scene" (aka class) is made up of a bunch of Puddle sprites & some custom made classes. The Flower class is made up of a sprite and a hitbox, which is pretty intuitive. The Player class is made up of a bunch of stuff.

The busy gui may fool you into thinking this is a lightweight game engine, like rpg maker, but don't be misled; any object can have a script attached to it. The python-like language used here can implement everything from pathfinding to box2d physics to mobile touch controls. Oh, and anything in the gui can be controlled through a script instead. Shown here is a section of the player controls; if you press up, the 2D movement vector gets UP added to it, which is defined as (0,1)

There's also an animation suite complete with tweening, onionskinning, whatever

You can add effects to audio (and connect these effects to in-game triggers)

I was originally drawn to godot over something like unity, because godot is optimized for 2D - but it also has a full set of 3D tools that I have not scratched the surface of.

The following voxel demo, along with many other demos, can be downloaded from the godot website directly within the editor.

In conclusion, godot is a good program, and my brain is too small to handle it. Thanks for reading my book report about godot.

blaise rascal

roomforthetuna posted:

I haven't used godot since it got the update that made it 3D-capable, but it was super intuitive to me (which means it might not be really intuitive to Blender people, since Blender is infinitely counterintuitive to me). The animation system is exactly what I want from an animation system, how I would design it - you give it key-frames and tell it what some values should be at those frames, and how to interpolate between them, and you can also use it to trigger things that aren't animation related, like you can put in a keyframe "call this other function", so you can use it to trigger sound effects and things too.

I made a really simple and effective talking character animation in a platform game by just separating the character's bottom jaw, recording a growly mumbly voice effect, and synchronizing some y co-ordinate linear movements and small rotations to the lower jaw, for a south park canadian kind of animation, it took me like 5 minutes from "never having touched the animation system before" to "synchronized audio and movements and word-at-a-time speech bubbles, triggered by player action, that look pretty good."

(But then there was the godot update from version 2 to 3 and it wasn't compatible and I didn't want to continue using the older one because it had some bugs, so I just abandoned my project, as is my way.)
Neat, thanks for sharing! Godot is not the only program that has "bake sound to f-curve" or whatever it's called, since I've definitely seen people do that in blender as well, with really good results. Oh, and blender also has the ability to choose interpolation mode between keyframes. Here, for instance, you can pick "sinusoidal" or "linear" or whatever (see the dialog in the bottom center)

But I agree that sometimes blender is counterintuitive! These cool functions can be tough to find in blender's gui.

Anyway, if you ever did want to get back into godot, the good news is that 3.2 is a long-term support release, so the engine itself should produce minimal bugs for years to come.

blaise rascal

roomforthetuna posted:

And it's only because I'm an old curmudgeon who remembers the days when a whole game fit in under a megabyte that I object to the performance issues that come with a game engine.
Haha. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to think like an actual programmer, in terms of performance and whatnot. "Hack it together and pray" has been my methodology for years. Hopefully, Godot doesn't actually redraw EVERYTHING every frame, but who knows?

Anyway, sorry for hijacking the thread - on the topic of blender, I'd like to highlight this video that Manifisto posted a while back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58lc8sLpJzY

I wanted to mention how it seems similar to how the fish are animated in the game Abzu. Rather than animating the joints & bones like you would traditionally, the Abzu developers used what they call "static mesh instancing" - as far as I can tell, that means applying different sinusoidal positional and rotational animations to the entire fish model. What's interesting is that it seems to have massive performance benefits. Whereas they could only animate 30 or so fish on screen with traditional skeletal rigs, their static mesh instancing method let them animate 10,000 or more at a time. Check out their fascinating GDC talk on the subject: https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1024409/Creating-the-Art-of-ABZ

Jenny Agutter posted:

i got inspired by the thrad title (i haven nver held a bong in my life)

Oo, this is lovely!

blaise rascal

Khanstant posted:

hello i am finally trying to do a 3d. i tried a tutorial yesterday but couldnt get past a certain part. i was also struggling bc it was a tutorial for an old version and stuff just in diff places.

today I am also following a tutorial, but this time, it's also an old version... so i'm still at step "???"

i do a uv sphere, then go to uv editing, then i loaded in my picture and did "sphere projection" and it shows like that. i think that part is fine?? okay so this guy just pops back over to his like default zone, which i assume in nublender is "layout" so i go there, i click the little circles to viewport shading, click the texture option on but it still is plain disco ball

WAIT I DID IT

okay how do you make the camera just be where i'm looking? i moved the camera, but im having trouble, like, getting it to look at the drat thing

OK gently caress that camera i made a new one and then moved it from the 0,0,0, point where it starts. animating this was easier than i remember flash being back in the day, at least for a "motion tween"

https://i.imgur.com/2LaOblZ.mp4
umm idk why imgur turned my gif into an mp4?

YAAAAY this is amazing

e: Soon all of byob will do blender :evilbuddy:
(or godot, godot is cool too)

blaise rascal

Oldstench posted:

Here's a modern chair thing I made.

Wireframe if you're into that.

really cool, thanks for sharing

blaise rascal

very cool!

blaise rascal

I have a feel good story y'all! Remember when I posted a tutorial by dedouze a while back? I really like his tutorials and art, so I decided to support him at tipeee.com a while back. I didn't realize it but my donation qualified me for a gift in the mail! I got this stunning 3D postcard all the way from France. It's tough to describe how cool it looks but I'm definitely gonna frame it!

blaise rascal

Manifisto posted:

that is super neat

byob project: make sigs into holographic postcards
I was curious about this, and looked up how to print custom "lenticular" cards myself in the USA. This was the only result I could find:
https://photo.walgreens.com/store/lenticular-print-details#!/pdpview

Anyway, here's one other cool postcard i've gotten in my life: https://thegoteam.bandcamp.com/album/the-ice-storm
It plays a song on a record player! Has nothing to do with blender but it's cool

blaise rascal

same

blaise rascal

amazing. this thread has caused so many people to learn blender

blaise rascal

Jenny Agutter posted:

still all shaders, even animation

https://i.imgur.com/ozI32rA.mp4

very very satisfying loop! I do not know what shaders are but you are the master of them

blaise rascal

posting smiling posted:

doodling in grease pencil

this is incredible! grease pencil is really good

blaise rascal

Warbird posted:

Did you know that will a little elbow grease and absolutely no know how you too can create an aberration to all that is good to both god and man? You can even use grease pencil layered in with the 3D and physics modeling systems to somehow make multi gig gifs!

Pulling some work from the MM Brazil thread because work and other life stuff prevents me from dumping time into blender these days.
lol
it's good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blaise rascal

Hello thread! It's been a while but I'm still impressed by all the great stuff you all are doing.

Anyway, look at this cool animation style from the video game ghost trick. The whole game appears to be 2d, but the characters were actually modeled and animated in 3d, with like, flat color rendering & pixel snap. If I ever wanted to level up my 2d game art, I'd learn 3d modeling so I could make stuff like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngqKUPM8IT4