Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Mooey Cow posted:

The thing is, I rarely click on any of these recommendations, and yet all of us here in GBS are getting more or less the same videos.
I got that same recommendation (Waterworld). Went over to my friend's house and he had it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dorothy Lynch
Jul 3, 2018

Pontificating rear end posted:

I got that same recommendation (Waterworld). Went over to my friend's house and he had it too.

Im sure glad Google is leading the tech world with this amazing technology!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

EorayMel posted:

Probably either :worship: THE ALGORITHM :worship: doing wacky poo poo or the channel slipped youtube a couple thousand dollars to intentionally spread it around for a few days and make their money back off views

Or gbs is a monoculture

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Also, this kid is pretty cool

he takes a lot of cues from RLM, but does a lot of fun movie-related vids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEOqkagHsHs

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Mooey Cow posted:

Here's what my recommendations look like RIGHT NOW (don't doxx me)

Gustav Holst’s “The Planets” is on there so I’m unsure what the issue is?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
The algorithm recommended me this so I think YouTube is a-ok 👌🏽

https://youtu.be/f9v4AL3SquY

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

WHOA! SPOOKY!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I wonder if you can automate infinite creation of reaction and unboxing videos and shield yourself from infringement by giving the appearance of fair use criticism. Scrape reaction videos, generate 5 second clips of the loudest--and therefore most reactiony--parts of those videos, string them together with meaningless, generated phrases of criticism voiced by a robot or Obama, slap fair use claims in the usual places, and blanket all of YouTube with them. Just Elsagate the whole thing. Toddlers with mom's iPad will do the rest.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They keep recommending the Russia Today (RT) channel to me when it's Russian state sponsored propaganda. gently caress off with it.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Mu Zeta posted:

They keep recommending the Russia Today (RT) channel to me when it's Russian state sponsored propaganda. gently caress off with it.

Yeah it’s pretty gross

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A26TDdrQlgk

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

This is good propaganda tho.

:moonrio::moonrio::moonrio:
:slick::slick::slick:

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
I think I finally have the Lofi Anime HipHop video off of my recommendations permanently. It was the herpes of youtube recommendations.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

Julius CSAR posted:

Gustav Holst’s “The Planets” is on there so I’m unsure what the issue is?

There was a video comparing it to Star Wars Music. It's not this one, but I watched that video too, and got The Planets reccomended.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pM2SozsyPE

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

Kak posted:

I think I finally have the Lofi Anime HipHop video off of my recommendations permanently. It was the herpes of youtube recommendations.

I have never once clicked on that or anything that might indicate I would want to listen to lofi hip hop beats to study or relax to, yet I now have like 5 channel recommendations of just that.

Youtube's algorithm is not very good.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pontificating rear end posted:

That one must have been promoted or something because I got it last night too and never watch movie stuff. Thanks algorithm :arghfist:

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
My son's friend paid money to get youtube subs for his Fortnite streaming 'show', where all he does is run around and accusing people of cheating and calling them 'human being twy-hods' with a severe speech impediment. He then tells everyone that his two hundred subscribers are a big deal. I am so old and I don't want to be young again.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
You wanna feel old?

https://www.youtube.com/feed/trending

Read through every title there, and try to see how many of those you would actually like to watch.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
There were as many Fox News and Joe Rogan videos as there were things I had never heard of, and even two things I actually already watched (albeit one was the Sonic the Hedgehog preview). A little disappointed that learning "Li'l" is now spelled "Luh" in hip-hop is the most Old culture shock I got from that list

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

evobatman posted:

You wanna feel old?

Read through every title there, and try to see how many of those you would actually like to watch.

I'm in south america so it's mostly reggaeton, so... it's okay I guess?

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

evobatman posted:

You wanna feel old?

Are the trending videos at all personalized? Most of the ones on my list are things I wouldn't watch but only two or three are things I don't get 'cause I'm old and out of it.

Lots of Sonic movie, detective pikachu and food videos tho.

Edit: :smugjones:

KillerJunglist fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 2, 2019

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I wanted to find out what the heck was going on with the Johny Johny Yes Papa meme

Recommended Videos got a little bit strange

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj7K2Bql6D4
ASMR Roleplay: Tender and Emotionally Intelligent Funky Kong Consoles You After A Messy Divorce

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
my divorce was entirely funky kong related

naem
May 29, 2011

if there is some niche hobby you half kinda thought about but don’t want to leave your couch ever, youtube has a dozen people earning their living doing that hobby for you.

you can watch three 11 minute videos, satiate your curiosity, all without putting on pants. It’s great.

Well until a year or two ago when they changed how they pay popular channels because now half of all videos are “oh man ok, before we get started let me talk about my REVENUE STREAM” and it’s like, no, just go hit things with swords or put together old car engines or do a comedy bit please

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

About halfway down I saw a video that was on how to install a hidden kill switch in your car. That's sorta interesting.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
whats up with that 3 brown 1 blue rear end in a top hat always trying to be a dick talking about how dumb i am for not following his differential equations videos as fast as he wants? as happened in the video to the best of my recollection

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
The video always at the top of my recommendations is a video on how to kill ground nesting wasps yet I never watched it before.

I am 100% ok with it hogging the uppermost recommended video spot compared to whatever stupid vine crap is desperately trying to wedge itself in that place.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

One time I accidentally scrolled down the youtube main page and a questionnaire (not a video of one) popped up asking if I was having a good youtube experience.
I said "no", it asked why and gave me 3 options. I don't remember what the other ones are but the one I picked was "the videos I ignore keep showing up as recommendations" and ever since jack poo poo has changed except I've become even quicker to pull the trigger on blacklisting channels I'm not interested in.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
go to your history and delete videos you regret having watched and your recommendations will improve

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

gary oldmans diary posted:

go to your history and delete videos you regret having watched and your recommendations will improve

Narrator: they did not improve.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Who's that ratfaced mra Nazi on YouTube? I got him recommended after watching the Bill and Ted 3 announcement. It actually told me that when I blocked ratboy's video.

Algorithms support facism AND noisy thumbnails.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's crazy how "powerful" certain videos are for your recommendations, I'm sure it's based on total amount of matching content and the *ALGORITHMS* but you need to non-stop binge leftist videos for weeks to start getting anything similar to show up in your list. You accidentally click on one Chud-ranting-in-truck video or VIDEO GAME LORE EXPLAINED video and suddenly that's 99% of your recommendations until you delete them.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

gary oldmans diary posted:

From experience of completely erasing my entire youtube history twice in the last month it doesn't help at all. Not even one bit. Actually makes things worse since the few channels it finally realized I didn't want to see (before I started blacklisting poo poo) were back again.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I completely disable all history on my Youtube account and it doesn't help whatsoever.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

Mu Zeta posted:

I completely disable all history on my Youtube account and it doesn't help whatsoever.

Ya

If there was an extension that blocked all recommended videos I would be so loving down. I'm so tired of seeing these lovely rear end thumbnail/title garbage rear end white noise LCD bullshit

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

History and ignore mangling did nothing to keep sugar jonny out of my kid's videos, so we got rid of YouTube entirely. The control is an illusion and you'll always be urged toward clickbait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, do not let your young children use youtube. It is extremely not good.