Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Taking apart the carb to my chainsaw, some running issues that are likely, but might not be carb related, but I might as well have a look. Things look... not terrible, not great. Will need some cleaning, but I think I will survive without a rebuild kit for a while. Just disassembled it this morning before work and gave it a quick once over.

The real problem IMO is that the previous owner of this saw (its from 1976) bubba'ed up the idle adjustment screw and possibly the lever too. I think that part's simply not adjusting properly, looking at the carb and adjusting the screw, it barely touches the idle lever even when fully seated, so there's basically no idle adjustment like this. So I will have to fix that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Chainsaw back together, working properly now. The idle screw buggery was the main culprit.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Last year I rebuilt this 1976 Jonsered 451 EV chain saw, carb rebuild, new ring for the piston (has only one ring).

This year I am using it for some experimentation. The brush cutter I worked on earlier will also get a taste of this, E85 fuel with two stroke oil mix (3-4%, little richer than regular gas, just in case). And I gotta say a big success, saw ran really well all day and it never got as hot as with regular gasoline. Runs as clean as alkylate fuel but cooler.

Using what I got, I wanted a transparent glass container and this horrible vodka took 12 years to finish. Nice bottle though.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I ran my chainsaw (1976!) on E85 last year and just left it in the tank and carb over the winter. Sort of an experiment, I had rebuilt the carb that same year with new gaskets and materials. Opened it up this year and things looked fine, some crud that I am not sure if they where because of the E85 or something else.

I haven't started it up yet. Not sure if I will continue E85 or go to alkylate gasoline. E85 is hella cheap though. Still not the huge disaster I was expecting.