Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I assume this is the right place to be for a newbie trying to learn and work on some small engines?

Namely: early 1980s era Husqvarna practica 61 chainsaw. I just did a carb rebuild kit, furthest into an engine I've ever been. Watched some videos first. Ran through it and, amazingly, against all odds, it started right up literally on the first pull. I'm still pretty jazzed about that.

Anyhow, now I'm trying to tune the carb. The saw's old enough that it doesn't require the specialized tool the modern ones do, a flathead does fine, so that's cool. Anyhow, based on the guides, setting the low, it should respond real quick on trigger pulls, just jump right up to speed. So my question: if it bogs a bit or doesn't respond as quickly as I'm seeing in guides, am I too far in or out on that? What DOES it do if I'm too far in or out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Right on, thanks. I did manage to get it somewhat closer to correct, to the point that I was able to finish up the immediate work I needed to do, but it still has issues that I'm confident will resolve with proper tuning.

I'm also quite sure my neighbors are tired of listening to me working on this thing in my driveway. :haw:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Speaking of chainsaws, anyone want to recommend a tach for small 2 strokes like chainsaws? 8000 options on Amazon and I can’t tell what’s trash.