Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnderToad
Mar 3, 2010
I work on them. The cable from the handle is a deadman switch only, it kills the engine when released by cutting the ignition and applying a band brake to the flywheel. It does not control the throttle. The way the carburetor in the photo is configured, it is set up to run at full speed only. I see an idle speed screw, but it will never come into play the way it is set up. The high speed is adjusted by bending that piece of metal the governor spring anchors too. Top speed of around 3200 rpm is reasonable, the engine will run faster, but shouldn't. The carb linkage looks correct from here.

Those carburetors aren't too hard to rebuild. Curious, is the new carb a Techumseh unit or a Chinese varient?

EDIT

It looks like your governor is out of adjustment, between the air filter and engine block. That arm and the shorter part that are joined with a bolt should be roughly 90 degrees to each other. Be carefull not to overspeed it, will grenade. ;)

http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/manual/tecumsehlheadmanual.pdf

governor setting page 27 on the actual manual, on the pdf page 31

UnderToad fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnderToad
Mar 3, 2010
The new ones just run at full speed all the time, yours is one of those. I think the only thing you need to do is set the gov arm by loosening the bolt with the torx head, move it so it is 90 degrees to the shorter piece it attaches to, then tighten torx bolt. Yours is at about 120 degrees. Then if you need to set the top speed, do it by bending the tab behind those two vertical bosses on the top of the carb. The older versions had a plate that bolted to the top of the carb with a high and low speed, yours does not have that, it's just one speed, all the time.

I've had good luck with the Chinese Ebay carbs, suprisingly.