Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Motronic posted:

Carb is full of gunk from sitting with untreated ethanol gas would be my first suspect. Remove, disassemble the whole thing on a bench, clean everything (especially the float needle and fuel jet), put it back together and reinstall. Drain all the rest of that gas out first.

This. Get a can of carb cleaner and go to town. If you’ve never hosed with small engines before, take pictures before you disassemble, or find a service manual with drawings. It’s dead simple.

Also, if you don’t wanna jump right in, pull the fuel line from the tank to the carb. If it’s gooey or gunky inside, it’s corngas rot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Motronic posted:

I would guess your carb float is screwed up or the orifice is clogged (using the primer forces enough fuel through to full the bowl, but it can't do it sufficiently fast on it's own).

It's time to take that car apart and clean the hell out of everything and inspect all the lines for damage/clogs.

If there is a filter in the fuel tank pickup you probably want to inspect/replace that too.

This. Get a can of carb cleaner, take the carb apart, and spray the poo poo out of everything. Then do the same for the lines and filter(s) all the way back to the tank. Last time I rebuilt a generator carb, it still wouldn’t run because the corngas had turned the rubber fuel line into a gluey mess, and it would only flow a tiny dribble of fuel.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ferremit posted:

I might have done something stupid...

Its either a 1956 or 1957 Massey Ferguson FE35. Rare for all the wrong reasons.

In the workshop for 10 mins and already marked its territory in the shed. Why the rusty water came out of the bell housing is still a mystery.

You're going to need a blasting cabinet, friend.

Please link the thread as well.

:v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Fuel filter(s)/screen(s) and then take the carb apart and spray everything down with carb cleaner, particularly the needle and any air passages. Ethanol does a real number on small engine carbs.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

By “naked carb” you mean you had the carb blown apart and rebuilt, right? Pretty much every small engine I’ve touched in the past fifteen years has needed it due to varnish and sludge clogging all the metering jets and the fuel needle getting stuck closed.